Try the Call of Duty: World at War beta for free

Many game publishers neglect to release demos of upcoming titles these days, so it’s surprising to see one offer a multiplayer beta of an upcoming blockbuster to the public. That’s just what Activision has done with Treyarch’s World War 2 shooter Call of Duty: World at War, however.

Shacknews says the World at War PC beta is now open to everyone, and you can grab it for free right here at FileShack. The beta installer weighs in at roughly 846MB, and users apparently need to register at the official Call of Duty website to get a beta key. Folks who participate can look forward to “addictive class-based multiplayer action,” upgradeable weapons, vehicles, and squad-based gameplay in three multiplayer arenas: a Japanese castle, an island in the Pacific, and a train depot in Europe.

Call of Duty: World at War uses the same engine as Infinity Ward’s Call of Duty 4, and it’s coming out on November 11 for the PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 2, Wii, and Nintendo DS. Treyarch says the beta will end prior to the launch of the full game.

• StuG

I’m liking this, we need more games to release beta’s in this fashion. Woot woot!

• yogibbear

Played it for an hour. Map design is top-notch. It IS Cod4 set in WWII. So far can’t see anything totally ruined by treyarch. If you like Cod4, then you’ll like this. Lighting and dismemberment were cool. Tanks are interesting. Knife is the same as Cod4…. waaaaay overpowered, but hardly anyone uses it. Knife knife knife knife knife with that v key!

• Xenolith

Does this beta come with a kill switch, so it will stop working when the game is released?

• Dposcorp

Read the last line above news blip.

q[< Treyarch says the beta will end prior to the launch of the full game<]q

• Mystic-G

I was impressed by the beta. My hopes weren’t too high though. I was pretty stunned by the graphics, the gameplay videos do not do that game justice at all. It’s much crisper than CoD4 I have to say.

It is odd to get use to WWII weapons again ever since the WWII genre was flooded. It definitely has a decent appeal factor to say the least. I’m sure the full on game packed with Co-op & Zombies will make things really interesting.

• tesla120

ยง[<http://gamedaily.newaol.com/pub/COD-WAW-Beta-Setup.exe<]ยง downloaded at about 6MB/s downloaded the whole thing in like 4 minutes...

• deathBOB

What a steaming pile of mediocrity. I own and enjoy CoD4 but I feel no need to get this re-skin.

• cegras

This is the first quality WW2 shooter I’ve played.

(Previously my only exposure was to Day of Defeat / Source)

(This is because the only way I could get games was by buying them myself or pirating, and I just started to earn money a few years back)

My main games are things like HL2 mods and Quake Wars (soon L4D!!), so I think I’ve been underexposed to the standard fare.

• ish718

I just got through playing the MP demo for a few hours. I knows its beta but overall I’m not impressed, feels like a cheap cod4 with a WW2 skin. I know they used the same engine but damn. The only thing I really like is the maps, their bigger lol
    The old guns are tiring…
    Now I got to wait for the real cod5, lol….

You mean like CODs 1-3?

• computron9000

Fileplanet link:
    ยง[<http://www.fileplanet.com/193782/download/Call-of-Duty:-World-at-War-Beta-Client<]ยง 1000KB/sec as a subscriber ftw.

• Forge

Indeed. I love that Comcast gives me Fileplanet and friends for free with my capped internet that costs more than Fios. Makes my bum hurt a little less.

Also, I click ‘go’ and the internet makes a slurping noise. 2.2MB/s, under 7 minutes.

• MadManOriginal

Comcast gave you free friends?

• Preyfar

Yeah, but Comcast just gives you basic friends. They’re pretty boring, not too diverse… but they’re always there. You have to pay a monthly fee to upgrade to Comcast Preferred Premium Friends who have interests more in tune with your own.

• crazybus

Ugh….”Unhandled exception caught”

The game won’t even load. Time to tear into it with process monitor.

• indeego

crazybus has time on his handsg{<.<}g

• crazybus

More like an aversion to the homework I should be doing. ๐Ÿ˜›

• mac_h8r1

After playing it for a while, I felt like it’s just another WWII rehash. It’s the reason we all celebrated COD4 — WWII shooters are getting stale. I did appreciate that it followed the COD4 gamestyle of XP/ranks and perks along the way. I also thought that calling in dogs after a 7-kill streak was favorable to the chopper as it provided the reward without being overkill.

On a personal note, over the past few years I’ve embraced and matured in my Judaism and consequently took issue to playing as a Nazi, an issue I had not previously encountered back when I played MOH:AA or COD2 or 3.

Maybe the next one will be in ‘Nam.

Good gameplay, beautiful graphics, but until I get my Gold Cross in COD4…pass.

• Sargent Duck

Agreed about the rehash of WWII. But it’s old and boring. Give me the M16 with M203 attachment. Or the Javelin. Those are exciting. The Thompson and MP44, although great guns, are boring now.

Why don’t they do WW1, nam or Korea? Wouldn’t take much…

• Meadows

Because it’s a risk to deviate from the Joneses and an established methodology.
        Some people take risks and win (Far Cry 2), some people take them and lose (Revenant), but to stay on point, to the average WWII-developing party, a small win is better than any chance to lose. That is, unless the market wakes up and realizes that everyone’s bored of that war.

• BenBasson

I can’t be the only one that thought the rewards for getting multiple kills seemed a bit silly. I mean, it’s basically just further tipping the balance in favour of the winning team by causing severe inconvenience for the losing team. Doesn’t this bother anyone else?

• yogibbear

Didn’t you ever play COD4 with the airstrikes and helicopters?

What it does do though… is if you’re awesome and on the losing side you can barrage the winning side to shreds.

• ish718

Yea I wouldn’t mind a Vietnam game or even a hypothetical “what if” story like what if Soviet Union attacked US during the cold war, kind of like World in conflict

• ludi

World War II: Still raging after sixty years!

• Meadows

Thanks to the developer groups (and the demand), it turned from one of the most exciting ideas into the most boring one.

• Meadows

I nearly went for it but then I noticed it’s a “multiplayer” beta.
    That’s something I’m not a fan of, should’ve known.

“Addictive class-based multiplayer action.” I guess that means Team Fortress meets the Real World in this one.

You mean Battlefield 2?

• Meadows

It couldn’t have been as addictive as TF2.

• BenBasson

The ridiculous 1800-1900 online servers still going strong, 3 years after release suggest that BF2 is pretty addictive. Not sure how that compares to TF2, but still notable. Don’t think anyone would suggest that TF2 is anything but awesome, though.

• Tamale

TF2 and BF2 are as addictive as their names are similar ๐Ÿ™‚

• Corrado

I did the same thing. Got 10 minutes into downloading and stopped it. Not a fan of multiplayer really.

• ssidbroadcast

846MB is actually a bit on the light side nowadays for a big-budget beta.

• ish718

846MB is nothing even for my crappy 3mb/768kb dsl service
      I sure do miss my optimum online 15mb/2mb =/

• Firestarter

Hey as long as it’s free as in beer, I’m game!

• Firestarter

It’s too slow on my laptop, them fancy options like DOF that I can’t disable really kill my videocard ๐Ÿ™

• Mystic-G

Speaking of which, the game for me runs quite abit smoother than CoD4.