Report: Foxconn might pull out of retail mobo market

The retail motherboard market could soon lose one of its players. Based on info from "sources at channel vendors in China," DigiTimes reports that Foxconn could soon stop selling motherboards under its own name. For the uninitiated, Foxconn makes boards (and all kinds of other products) for other firms on a contract basis, but it also has its own line of Foxconn-branded mobos—from the Intel X48 Express-based top-of-the-line to $20 bargain-bin models.

DigiTimes says Foxconn officially stated it has "heard nothing regarding the speculation." However, its sources think that’s all part of the plan:

The sources commented that Foxconn recently told its sales department to stop taking orders for some motherboard models, and to stop gathering order volume forecasts for all new models, implying that the company is clearing out its inventory. The sources also added that Foxconn is making the adjustments with a very low profile and will not make an announcement since that could impact its inventory clearing.

To give you an idea of where Foxconn stands right now, DigiTimes says the company shipped more than 10 million branded mobos last year, while MSI shipped "around 18 million units, mostly branded." The bulk of Foxconn’s motherboards seems to reside in the sub-$100 range, judging by Newegg’s listings.

• YeuEmMaiMai

all the foxconn boards I have are still running strong for a total of 3 all of them are G33M boards

• pogsnet
      • LoneWolf15

And this has what to do with Foxconn and the topic at hand?

• Forge

This is a good thing. Foxconn makes good mobos (primarily under other names) but has roughly nothing in place for support or warranty services.

Go back to making everyone else’s motherboards, it’s what you’re best at.

• Kent_dieGo

About time! Consumer electronics is all about support. Foxconn has none. I made the mistake of buying a Foxconn motherboard once. It had a few small problems. Cold start issues and the RAID controller would not work if the FSB was overclocked at all. The BIOS that shipped with the board was the only version ever released. Unless a company has a US based RMA repair facility you are screwed.

• sdack

I tried to buy a specific Foxconn board here in the UK during spring of this year, but I could not get my hands on it wherever I asked. None of the major on-line shops had it listed and were not willing to order it for me either.

They need to improve their distribution channels. I ended up buying a Gigabyte board and then an Asus board. I am happy with the later but I really would like to have tested the one from Foxconn because of its features.

• Kent_dieGo

Foxconn warranty support is to return to place of purchase. No wonder the retailers refuse to stock them.

• sdack

They did sell a few boards, which is why I tried ordering. It does not quite explain why they would not want to sell me a different one.

• Shinare

Still have a Barton XP 2500+ runnin OC’d on a biostar and its 5 YEARS old.

Good riddance to bad rubbish. Every (well, both) Foxconn board I’ve ever dealt with was awful.

• eitje

Dear Biostar,

Look! Other companies are doing it! You should too!

eitje

• BiffStroganoffsky

Dear eitje,

Thank you for your suggestion. We at Biostar appreciate all input from our customers and occasionally will pass on relevant suggestions. To wit, there were mentions of some people taking their own lives for whatever reason so we would like to suggest you do the same.

Yours warmly,

• ludi

Ouch.

• eitje

If only a human life were worth as much as a corporate identity!

• MadManOriginal

Know what would be cool…corporate identity theft!

• ludi

Hi, my name is Micro S. Oft. I would like to cash this check for twenty billion dollars. Can I have that in fives?

• Corrado

My biostar board is awesome. Just saying.

• clone

eitje have you ever owned a Biostar motherboard?

I love how ppl troll a brand because someone else says they are bad.

if you have and it failed you are likely one of the few and if Biostar was to leave the motherboard market along with Foxconn then their would be less competition which is always a bad thing and who would be left to make Asus and Gigabyte look so good?

as a side note I’ve bought and sold about 30 Biostar motherboads and haven’t had any significant problems with them nor heard much negative feedback outside of the odd USB issue which surprisingly disappears when I come to service the computer but reappears after I leave……

additionally while Biostar does not use the RDS tech that Gigabyte and Asus like to brag about I’ve still yet to get any Biostar boards back due to failure under or after warranty.

I’m not saying they don’t fail but unlike ECS and Foxconn most notably I’m not seeing any Biostar returns.

p.s. I try to avoid Biostar in general as I do with all budget motherboards and whenever I buy a Biostar board I cross my fingers as I do all budget motherboards but unlike Foxconn, ECS and MSI and even Asus on occasion Biostar has yet to fail me.

my favorite brand if it matters in general is Gigabyte followed by Asus and the rest only get chosen when the price is right and the customers budget is too tight to fit an Asus or Gigabyte.

• MadManOriginal

In addition some of the better Biostar boards are actually fair as enthusiast and overclocking boards, usually with a few quirks but a few of their P35 boards in particular were well-regarded.

Having said that I think we should take eitje’s comment as a joke and not too seriously.

• eitje

I’ve seen failures in every Biostar board I’ve ever purchased.

I’ve historically gone back to them repeatedly because of their value proposition, but every time I’ve done so, I’ve also had to go back in and replace that same board.

• eitje

I should write a note to ECS too. Thanks for reminding me!

• crabjokeman

Biostar’s AMD mobos are awesome for undervolters, as they often go down to 0.8V in the BIOS. I’ve built a few systems with them and have had 0 problems.

Why do you dislike Biostar?

• MadManOriginal

Because one defective motherboard means that the entire production of a company forever into the past and future is garbage.

• eitje

q[

• clone

so how many biostar boards have you had?

personally had I been burned 2 X by Biostar in succession I’d stop buying their product and say they weren’t worth the risk…. common sense applies.