Steam Cloud to debut with Left 4 Dead

Valve’s Steam Cloud service will go online hand-in-hand with the upcoming co-op zombie shooter Left 4 Dead, Shacknews reports. As we wrote earlier this year, Steam Cloud will be able to store in-game settings and saves “in the cloud” for easy access from any system (and for backup purposes, in case your gaming rig’s hard drive bites the dust).

Shacknews says the initial Steam Cloud release will remember Left 4 Dead‘s keyboard, mouse, and controller configuration, as well as multiplayer settings and spraypaint images—hey, “lolcats” and poorly crafted clan logos are integral parts of any Source-based multiplayer experience. Steam Cloud actually won’t store Left 4 Dead saved games in its first iteration, although that feature “is coming.”

Last, but certainly not least, Shacknews points out that Valve “will apply the technology to its back catalog of Steam games and provide the free Steam Cloud toolset to all Steam developers and publishers for widespread implementation.” The company promised to make Steam Cloud freely available to third-party developers back in late May.

Look for Left 4 Dead on Steam and store shelves on November 18. A demo should come out some time before then, and in the meantime, you can head over to Shackvideo and watch the four-minute-long intro video.

• pogsnet
    • mixpix

Awesome! I’ve been wanting the ability for all my settings to be remembered for a long time now. Way to go Valve!

• tesla120

when I quickly scanned the article title I read:

Steam Cloud debut, Left 4 Dead

and then I thought to myself about how people die over things like Game platforms….

• MadManOriginal

I’ve seen steam clouds before so I call shenanigans about this being some kind of debut!

• Ihmemies

Just wondering, how long is Valve’s “forever”? A year? 5? 10 (even that would be amazing)?

• TurtlePerson2

Valve still supports CS 1.6, so I think forever is a long time.

• mixpix

Steam has been around since 2003, I don’t see any reason why it would suddenly disappear in the next 5…

It’s a great service.

• TheBob!

I think they are just getting bigger and bigger

• holophrastic

Is there any way that I can pay more for this game? I’ve been waiting for many months now, I bought a new machine somewhat for it, and I intend to be playing it nearly exclusively for quite a while, and man does it ever look like incredible fun. great intro movie too, very co-op centric.

I still couldn’t care less about a steam cloud.

• Forge

Join the TR steam clan.

I know I’ll be looking for co-op partners with a clue constantly, I’ve been accepting invites from iffy clans just to pad out the friends list in prep for L4D.

• BoBzeBuilder

I’d like to join the TR clan too but don’t know how. Searching for techreport in steam gives me nothing.

• PerfectCr

Hitup the forums and look for the Steam sticky thread under “Gaming”.

• Meadows

Everything is cloud nowadays.
    I can’t wait for Ubuntu Cloud.

• indeego

Must really piss Sun off. They’ve been wanting people in the cloud (and closer to the sun) for decadesg{

• MattMojo

Naming aside…. I love Steam and this only concretes this feeling! The simple fact that they open it up to developers so they can put in place is just great.

• axeman

I find the steam client to be annoying at best, but the concept and overall experience is pretty good; Steam shows that digital distribution can work well. Minor issues with Steam are nothing like the colossal cluster%^$! that is copy protection these days.

• TheBob!

Yeah Steam has had its issues, but its getting much better. It’s on par or better than consoles online gaming networks.

• ludi

Speaking as someone who has been playing online games since the late 1990s, the simple fact of having updates download immediately, automatically, and across all clients and servers, is worth far more UI glitches and bugs than what Steam has now. Gone is the time when you could be locked out of your favorite game for two days because either you couldn’t find an unswamped server that had the update available, or you did and found that your favorite servers hadn’t yet patched on /[