Nvidia, Via scrapped plans for a mobile platform?

Back in early April, Nvidia revealed that it was cooking up a chipset to accompany Via’s next-generation Nano processor (then known by its code-name, Isaiah). The plan made perfect sense: by bolstering Via’s Nano with a competent integrated graphics solution, Nvidia could take market share away from Intel’s Atom without competing in the processor arena directly.

Now, rumor sites are saying Nvidia was simply using the promise of a Nano platform as a bargaining chip in negotiations with Intel. If Intel agreed to let Nvidia make chipsets for the Atom, the graphics firm would scrap its Nano platform plans.

Now, DigiTimes reports that Nvidia and Via have suspended their cooperation on a Nano platform for netbooks. This story has us scratching our heads a little, because it talks about mobile offerings—Nvidia explicitly showed pictures of a Mini-ITX desktop motherboard in April. Allegedly, Nvidia and Via also struck a deal to pair C7 and Nano processors with MCP79 integrated graphics chipsets in April, but Via insiders now claim that plan has fallen through.

Nevertheless, DigiTimes writes that the two companies still have plans to “showcase co-developed desktop PC products” at the Consumer Electronics Show in early January. That means the original Mini-ITX platform may still be on track, even if you probably shouldn’t look forward to Nano-based netbooks with Nvidia graphics.

• rivieracadman

I was really waiting for these too….

• Traz

That’s too bad.

• ssidbroadcast

Damnit nVidia… a Nano + GeForce 9300M would be REALLY freaking cool.

• mongoosesRawesome

Man, I’d hate to be one of the Nvidia or Via engineers that had been working on this. I wonder how much each party knew ahead of time that it likely wouldn’t pan out…

• ludi

So is THIS why we haven’t seen a Nano Netbook yet?

Maybe AMD can bring VIA into the fold and start working on the Atom platform killer. Now that they spun off their fab division I hear they’re awash in less debt.

• Thanato

I really hope so, I’ve been waiting.

• clone

Nano would make a good fit with AMD’s 780g that’s for sure and the power consumption would still be reasonably good.

• poulpy

There must be more than Nvidia pulling out stopping the Nano from hitting the market, I mean:
      – Via is solely focusing on chipsets for their own CPUs
      – they have an existing and appealing IGP compared to Intel 945G
      – the Nano is pin compatible with its C7s brethren
      – Nano was reviewed/benched back in July and kicked ass

I just don’t see any logical reason for it not hitting the market and even less for the lack of communication on the subject from Via. Especially when you see Intel selling Atoms like hot cake.

• eitje

yeah, it makes me sad.

whenever people talk about AMD’s ability to execute, all I can think about is VIA.