Flash 10 heads to ARM-powered smart phones

When Intel started getting chatty about its Atom processor last year, the company boasted that the chip’s x86 architecture would allow it to run the full Internet—including Adobe Flash, which has spotty or non-existent support on current smart phones. Atom hasn’t made its way into phones yet, but full Flash compatibility may not be a big selling point if it does: Adobe has announced plans to port its new Flash Player 10 software to ARM platforms.

CNet News was on the scene at the announcement in San Francisco, and it says Adobe CTO Kevin Lynch “demonstrated Flash Player 10 on devices running Nokia’s Symbian operating system, Microsoft’s Windows Mobile, and Google’s Android operating system.” Apple was conspicuously absent from the list. Lynch commented after grabbing an iPhone, “This needs a little more baking. We need to pass the taste test of Apple’s head chef.”

Adobe has been offering stripped-down Flash Lite software for handhelds for years now, and CNet News says the company is continuing to work on it. With the full-fledged, ARM-compatible Flash Player 10 release, however, Lynch specified that Adobe is targeting “the higher end of the mobile market.” Presumably, Flash’s high processing demands make it a poor fit for lower-end devices.

• TO11MTM

I hope Sony notices the crowd passing them and does something to update their PSP Browser…

And fix webpage rendering. It’s so close to being a viable web browser; just needs new Flash and a halfway decent rendering engine.

64 megs of ram and certain relatively simple webpages downright fail due to memory loss. 🙁

• anand

A real Flash client on a phone opens up a whole new world of time wasting flash games. Playing that “defend your castle” game on a touch screen might be fun.

• indeego

I kinda like the nostalgic web I get on my WM 6.1 phone. Flash would ruin that! pouty faceg{

• blastdoor

I suppose apple could have a safari preference check box to turn flash on and off…

• Anonymous Coward

No way, the internet runs on x86 only! We must have x86 phones!!!!

• WillBach

I feel conflicted at the idea of Flash coming to the iPhone. On one hand, I don’t want there to be popular websites my iPhone can’t visit. On the other hand, I really don’t want Flash on my iPhone. I’m impressed by Adobe’s new commitment to support 64-bit Flash on Linux (It’s amazing what the threat of competition will do) but I’m not impressed enough to overcome all of my bad feelings. I don’t want to waste the extra battery power and bandwidth to download Flash content, and I don’t want to waste the extra battery power to render it. That is more than doubly true when I’m on the EDGE network, where downloading a few extra Flash ads will make a substantial difference in time it takes to load a page. So unless Flash content has gotten much smaller in recent years, I’m going vote ‘nay’.

• ColdMist

Flashblock. One of the best firefox addons! Now, they just need to do something like that for you on the iPhone.

• eitje

or just update the hosts file appropriately!

• ssidbroadcast

Nuclear launch detected?

• jensend

Unfortunately, Flashblock doesn’t prevent the flash from being downloaded. In fact, if you have a slower computer, you can see the flash start to play before Flashblock kicks in. It’s a band-aid, not a solution.