Internet Explorer 8 will go gold next year

Microsoft has revealed more details about its release roadmap for Internet Explorer 8. In a post on the official IEBlog, Internet Explorer General Manager Dean Hachamovitch says you can expect a public “release candidate” build of the new browser in the first quarter of 2009. Some time after that, the full release version will be let loose in the wild.

According to Hachamovitch, this release candidate will be just that—professionals and organizations should “expect the final product to behave as this update does.” In other words, Microsoft will be pretty much done with IE8 next quarter, but the browser won’t come out in its full form until after the company has listened to feedback and resolved any pending “critical issues.” Hachamovitch didn’t say how long that might take, though.

As eWeek points out, Microsoft stated a few months ago that IE8 would be out by the end of this year, so the company may have postponed it internally. The first and second IE8 beta releases came out in March and August, respectively, and Hachamovitch says the IE team has been hard at work sifting through feedback and issue reports.

• pogsnet
      • Grigory

Who told you this nonsense? IE is pretty in the middle of the field. It’s at least faster than Firefox in most cases. Here is a little benchmark:

§[<http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html<]§ It's a tad old but it should if you think "IE is the slowest amongst browsers today" it should educate just fine.

• wesley96

‘Tad old’ is getting a bit problematic here. There have been several minor revisions and a couple of major revisions of the browsers being benchmarked there. Many of them have focused on speed improvements.

I realize this is anecdotal, but in many of the websites I visit, IE7 is consistently slower than FF3. I tried to stick to being IE7-only for a while, but the sluggish performance made me go back to FF3 eventually.

• PeterD

“Going gold” normally means that you got a gold medal at the Olympics, or that your music albums sold enough copies to get a “gold record”.
    However, as usual in computerland, the meaning is stretched a bit: “going gold” of ie only means… that it will be put on the market!
    Nice newspeak.

• Meadows

You speak of it as if MS had invented it for their own marketing purposes or otherwise.

• danny e.

doh

• 5150

Wake me when there are updates for Chrome.

• StashTheVampede

How is IE8s JavaScript performance compared to IE7?

• FireGryphon

Having to code differently for different browsers reminds me of the days when you had to choose between Rendition, S3, Matrox, 3DFX, nVidia, PowerVR, ATi…

• PRIME1

I stopped using IE a long, long time ago. It’s slow, bloated and less than user friendly. Much like another one of their recent products (rhymes with pista).

Hopefully they take a cue from their many competitors or at least promise to make is less annoying like they promised with…. ista.

This is not a bash against MS as they make a lot of great products, (XP, mice, keyboards, games, etc.) but IE needs a lot of work.

• Meadows

Everyone knows you hate Vista without a basis, but you can’t say IE is not user-friendly.

“This is not a bash against MS”
      Sure it is, ever read anything you type?

• The Dark One

I can’t stand how they split the back/forward/refresh/home buttons across the address bar. Hiding all the menus on a button on the right hand side of the browser where it’s the farthest from where I’m normally looking…

Everything about IE bugs me.

• Meadows

I normally don’t use the menu to begin with, so it didn’t take me long to get used to. As for the buttons, I also got used to that thanks to exposure to IE7 in XP, and later Vista’s Explorer – so used to, in fact, that now I customize Firefox to the same pattern.

• PRIME1

Without basis? I’ve been using it since beta, my main system is running Vista Ultimate. I have plenty to base my compaints on.

Just because you either only use it as a screen saver or just have zero technical knowledge, that you could not find fault in Vista even if it constantly pissed on your shoe, is clearly your problem.

• Meadows

Indeed, without basis. It’s especially curious why you didn’t downgrade to XP after all that, then.
          I’ve been using Vista actively since 19 months, I’m a picky enthusiast with plenty of technical know-how for what I do at least, running both various games and some creative production software all the while having no issues on a custom-built ragtag computer. You’d think that after 19 months, I’d notice if Vista was bad. I was using XP for far longer before this. My current Vista system is by far the fastest and safest system I’ve ever owned in my life, and it doesn’t suffer from “winrot” either (or it’s so slight that I can’t notice it like I could under XP). Judging by the idea of the loud minority, you seem to generalize based on your isolated case that just happens to be unsatisfactory for you.

With that put to the side, I used to like IE7, I’m currently using Firefox 3.1, and I absolutely love IE8. However, IE8 in its current beta form is wholly unsuitable for day-to-day use (I just checked out its performance and the general feature composition, nothing more because of some show-stopping bugs). I can’t wait for it to come out, I thought they’ll make it by the end of the year but it looks like I’m stuck with Firefox for half a year more.

• indeego

I found myself in IE the other day using Symantec’s Licensing site. Amazingly, the back button crashed the browser. I sat there chuckling and shaking my head. I think the last time I had used IE was months before and the same result. amazing what people put up with.

My brother can’t stand it ( §[<http://www.stalky.org<]§ reddit style clone) and he has to develop for itg{<....<}g :(

• ManAtVista

I’d rather they take their time and do it right, than a rush job to meet arbitrary deadlines. I’m using beta 2, and it pretty much rocks. Stable, fast, secure, and ui is nice.

• Meadows

I’d argue the “stable” bit, but it does everything in its power to recover when a mistake happens.

They can’t even get IE-specific pages to render right in IE8, let alone standards-based stuff. Not sure what sites you’re looking at, but they certainly aren’t doing anything interesting.

• danny e.

apple still sucks.

wtf, are you a moron? Don’t answer; it’s a question to which I already know the answer.

My complaint has to do with my day job, which I’m not about to explain to someone I know won’t get it.

• danny e.

sore loser? I’m not the one all uptight about having a sucky system. 🙂

no, you’re a troll. I have a (legitimate) complaint about IE8 beta and you say Apple sucks. Stop being a dick. I know it’s hard; you are what you eat.

• danny e.

yeah.. i was trolling a bit i suppose. but you’re oversensitive.. plus at least i was still a little more mature than you’re being. =)

• bhtooefr

That’s why I like Opera’s release schedule. Opera will never announce release dates, other than WIR – When It’s Ready.

• Tumbleweed

I’ve seen the MSDN page on what IE8 will support in its final form, and almost no CSS3 will be in there – not even stuff FF has been doing since v2. No border-radius (lame!), no column support, no multiple backgrounds, no border images. Blah. IE8 will be great competition for Firefox 1.5. It’s time to ditch that renderer and just go with WebKit (compatible license, unlike Gecko).

• Meadows

They will not consider WebKit, it was in the news shortly after TR reported that they’ll “look at WebKit”.

• LiamC

Not Invented Here?

• bhtooefr

I’ll note that IE versions 1 through 6 all credited NCSA Mosaic and Spyglass Mosaic. 😉

So, the original IE rendering engine was also Not Invented There. 😉

• d2brothe

Supporting features that nobody uses does not make a superior product. IE7 has better memory usage and speed than FF2, it wasn’t until FF3 that firefox was clearly better in the majority of areas.

chicken-and-egg. If the browser people use doesn’t support something, noone will code it.

• format_C

q[http://pavlovdotnet.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/ff3-ff2-ie7.png<]§

• Meadows

Silly delays. I wanted that shiny browser by the end of this year.

• ssidbroadcast

They should just finalize it alongside Windows 7 and package the two together.

• Meadows

IE7 came out before Vista as well, I don’t see why I should wait for the next OS just to have the new browser.

• ssidbroadcast

er, for shi** and giggles?

• kvndoom

Yawwwwwwwn.

• tfp

Bingo, who cares it’s a browser.

• wesley96