Windows Live Search to become ‘Kumo’?

In its latest bid to stop Google from securing an ever-increasing chunk of the online search market, Microsoft might give its search engine a new name and image. At least, that’s what TechCrunch reports, citing "a source within the company."

According to TechCrunch, the rebranding will occur early next year, and Microsoft might go with the name "Kumo"—a Japanese word meaning both "cloud" and "spider." That’s certainly easier to say and a little catchier than "Live Search," although TechCrunch says Microsoft might retain the Live name for its network of online services. Nothing in set in stone quite yet, though.

In a different report, CNet News points out that Microsoft recently hired Yahoo Search Technology VP Sean Suchter to work on Live Search. The move hints Microsoft is seeking to revamp and improve its own search business—and that it may have given up on a merger with Yahoo despite the departure of CEO Jerry Yang.

• MadManOriginal

Some good early turkey day entertainment watching two trolls troll each other. Thanks Meadows and PRIME1.

• kyaku00x

Clever naming needs clever people to understand it. Most of earth’s population are normal, not clever.
    The new name is quite useless.

• Meadows

A lot of people don’t know what Google means, either. If what you say was true, Yahoo! would be the most popular.

• Unckmania

I don’t think they even think they can take on google. It’s just budgets getting spend…

• indeego

§[<http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=kumo&go=&form=QBLH<]§ the top search hit is so strange. I hope MS goes with itg{<.<}g

• tesla120

“just kumo it”

nope its not the same…..

• PRIME1

Kumoed
      Kumoing

Not the same either.

• Meadows

Why, does “just live search it” sound better?

• kruky

“Just kumo it” sounds as good and make as much sense as “just google it”.
      We just got used to the later.

• herothezero

Well, I don’t know how the new engine will work, but Kumo is sure as hell a better name than Windows Live Search. Whoever thought that was a good naming convention should be fired.

• Meadows

I don’t think there’s a new engine at all.

• Farting Bob

no matter how many times they change the name and colour gradient on the homepage, it isnt going to drive more people to the site.

• Forge

That probably has something to do with those Google guys.

• Corrado

I think the name is clever. Cloud and Spider? Like internet and crawling it? I dunno thats just me.

• Meadows

Just because “cloud computing” is getting popular, doesn’t mean the internet ever was or ever will be even remotely like a cloud.

• Corrado

Except the internet has ALWAYS been represented in flow charts and the like, as a cloud.

§[<http://www.thestandard.com/article/0,1902,5466,00.html<]§

• Meadows

Begs the question why it’s “internet” and “world wide web” instead of “intercloud” or “global amoeba”, I guess. Spiders could never climb clouds anyway, but why get clouds when there’s a large web right there?

• Anomymous Gerbil

If you don’t know that networks are often represented as clouds, then it’s best not to be posting about it.

• Meadows

Networking IT was part of my vocational courses for quite a few years, and no, I’ve never even heard the remote notion of a cloud.

• PRIME1

TheInternetIsRunningOutOfNames.com

• Meadows

WTS [Humour] 8g

• PRIME1

You would need to have one in order to sell one. Maybe you can search eBay once Vista finishes loading…. in a few days.

• Meadows

Mine loads in a minute of total time, don’t know about you.
          Maybe you shouldn’t run Vista on a 486.

• PRIME1

Maybe Microsoft lied about how well Vista would run….
            §[<http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/155137.asp<]§ Of course Vista could kick you in the crotch every half hour and you would say what an awesome feature that is.

• Meadows

It *could*, but it just doesn’t do it ever, not even figuratively. I’m happy as a clam, which you probably are not, looking at the constant torrent of incessant posts you usually drop behind.

What you linked is off-topic bogus, and it’s about a scandal partly related to intel’s abysmal graphics chipsets which could’ve caused tremendous loss to them (and subsequently, Microsoft). Vista was nudged a bit to appear as if it had fun with intel graphics, so nobody would notice that those things aren’t even good for properly rendering a next generation OS.

I can’t help but notice how much you hate Vista – but I think you mentioned you’re using it. After all this whining, whining, whining, whining and whining, I’m not sure why you haven’t switched back to XP. Maybe you’re stupid, I don’t know, but it’s none of my business.

• PRIME1

l[

• Meadows

Your “arguments” against all three quotes are simply stupid and show that you haven’t even read what I was just telling.

About satisfaction, you belong to the loud minority – everyone else is happy with the system. Just because you’re loud and could find a sidekick or two to your opinion, doesn’t mean you’re winning a war or even a battle. In fact, you’re so loud that I can’t help but think you’re an inept computer user who brought the problems upon himself.

• PRIME1

Even Steve Ballmer the CEO of Microsoft considers Vista a piece of shmit.
            §[<http://www.cio.com/article/336925/Ballmer_Vista_is_a_Work_in_Progress_<]§ Why you feel the need to hump the hole in the Vista CD is beyond me.

• Corrado

I’m not on anyone’s side here, but you say you don’t know why he feels the need to pump vista up every change he gets. I see you making every effort to knock it down also.

He likes it and pumps it up.
            You don’t and knock it down.

You both exhibit the same behaviour, just with different agendas.

• Meadows

This move is obvious, you can’t market something that has 3 words for a name. It’s just too much.

• tfp

/[

• DreadCthulhu

Too bad they didn’t call it Kuma. Then they would have had a ready-made mascot character. 😉 §[<http://img230.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kumaye1.png<]§

• mac_h8r1

lol, when I visited the link, guess what the ad was? Windows Live Search. Guess it hasn’t propagated.

• donkeycrock

i wont use it no matter what they call it.

• jstern