Cheap iPhone might be headed to Walmart

Many techies and regular users are drooling over the iPhone, even if the $199 price tag puts it a bit out of many folks’ reach. However, Boy Genius Report says it’s received a tip about a cheaper iPhone that could be headed to Walmart. How much cheaper? $99, the site says.

Naturally, the lower price tag will involve some compromises. The $99 iPhone will reportedly feature only 4GB of storage capacity, and it will be tied to a two-year contract just like the $199 iPhone 3G. The cheapest iPhone 3G plan was ~$70 a month last time we checked, so the running cost for owning the device may be higher than for most other $100 phones. On the flip side, it’d be a $99 iPhone.

Boy Genius Report warns that its source "isn’t listed in our BGR’s Guide to respected Ninjas handbook," so this may be a hollow rumor. The concept of a $99 iPhone doesn’t sound entirely implausible, though, especially with French wireless operator Orange offering the 8GB iPhone 3G for €99 during the holidays. (€99 works out to roughly $125.)

• indeego

It will be amusing when AT&T/Apple start seeing people stop paying their bills because they can’t afford their phone/network anymoreg{<.<}g

• Usacomp2k3

I had a dream that I was given a free iPod touch last night. Very weird dream.

• BobbinThreadbare

Did the person have the voice from that annoying internet ad?

• Alex

Wow… Are you repressing your inner Apple Fanboy a bit too much?

• Usacomp2k3

So it would seem. ๐Ÿ˜†

• lordT

You think $99 is too much for a phone? I paid $675 for mine which is legally unlocked and contract free.

And yes, apps take so much space. I have almost 2 GB on mine.

And yes, Brothers in Arms is a must have app.

And yes, I wish there was a 32 GB version.

And yes, I love my iPhone.

• indeego

You paid _[

• Shinare

My AT&T Fuze is on its way!

• MathMan

I think it’s a mistake to assume that the iPhone mainly targets the hipster/music/youth crowd. I can assure you that the around 40 years old demographic part of the world likes it just as much. We tend to listen less to music, but like well designed gadgets just as much. ๐Ÿ™‚

Duh. That was supposed to be an answer to #12…

• A_Pickle

I’m not suggesting the 40 year old crowd don’t like their iPhones – it’s a phone, and a pretty badass one at that. I’m just suggesting that the /[

• leor

people over 40 like convenient music too

• NeronetFi

l[

iPhone, for the hip and the ones needing a new hip.

• A_Pickle

And the sheep will flock to the stores to buy the greatest smartphone ever. Personally, it downright bothers me how much hype the iPhone has — it really isn’t that great. It’s not bad, but the idea that it is so, unequivocally superior to every phone competing with it is erroneous to the point of frustration. A 4 GB iPhone will exemplify this more — the lack of user-expandable storage will become a glaring point on this model.

• tfp

Really? 4GB would be ok for me, but maybe I’m not normal?

• Corrado

Me too. I have a 1gig mp3 player i carry with me. Its enough as all I listen to is Audiobooks and lectures.

• ludi

For MP3s, sure. New ballgame if you start toting video and movies with you.

You might, but I never would. I can’t get myself to stare non-interactively at my PSP playing movies, and I can’t see me doing it with a phone, either.

• UberGerbil

And if you’re like most iPhone users I know, all those apps from the app store take up memory too.

• A_Pickle

UberGerbil’s on point. Apps are the other killer of that 4 GBs of space… at least /[

• MathMan

It’s really not that bad. Most apps are quite simple. Games are the exception, but even there 100MB in flash is pushing it. That’s still 40 games.

• A_Pickle

…well, I would say that you are probably far outside the target market of MP3 player manufacturers. Doesn’t mean you don’t find their products useful, but they’re probably not focusing on you with your audiobooks and lectures… they’re focusing on the guy/girl who wants to carry a healthy, user-determined portion of his/her 80 GBs of music with them everywhere.

• zima

“they’re focusing on the guy/girl who wants to carry a healthy, user-determined portion of his/her 80 GBs of music with them everywhere.”

Is that why iPod Shuffle and Nano were/are such success?

Oh…wait…

• A_Pickle

Um, yes, it probably was exactly why they were. The user determines how much of his/her music they want to carry with them, and how much they’re willing to pay for a given featureset/amount of music. 1 GB could be a user-determined amount of space that will be filled with music from an 80 GB collection.

So uh… yes. I would say that’s precisely why the iPod Nanos and Shuffles were a success.

• zima

And…that means, of course, that 4GB on a iPod is plenty enough for many, many people…

(had an impression, probably wrong one, that you’re of the mindset that small, 1GB mp3 player is too small…oh well)

• A_Pickle

Don’t get me wrong, 4 GB isn’t bad — but I guess I come into the smartphone/gadget world with a PC-like approach, which is probably why it pisses me off so much. 4 GB is actually a pretty roomy amount of space — you could store a decent number of songs on there.

Keep in mind, however, that (as Corrado mentioned), there are other forms of media out there (photos and videos) that may be clamoring to take up your precious flash space. By and large, though, photos don’t take up TOO much space (few people will be storing RAW files on their iPhones), and few people store full videos on their iPhones (though, a full movie would take QUITE a lot of storage space). But, iPhones can also take apps — and they’re probably right behind music in terms of that which takes up the most space on various user’s iPhones.

Apps are the reason you GET a smartphone — because a phone is nothing more than a very small computer. 4 GB of completely un-upgradeable flash space for music (which will continually be produced – for better or for worse), applications, contacts, and potentially photos and videos?

I don’t think so — and is a frigging MicroSD card slot REALLY that much to ask for? If 4 GB is enough — fine! Leave it empty… if it isn’t, lucky you! You have a slot to use. Choices are nice, and I find them to be conspicuously absent from Apple’s /[

Yeah, I can’t even fill a 1GB iPod shuffle with music that I actually want to listen to (it helps that when it’s transferred, it’s converted from 256kbps MP3 to 128kbps AAC, I suppose) so a 4GB smartphone is probably plenty for me.

• adisor19

I partially agree with you on that one. Yes, the 4GB is lame in terms of storage no doubt about that and i wouldn’t buy it or recommend it to anyone.

However, the 16GB version is quite good however in terms of storage space.

Now, the part where i don’t agree ๐Ÿ˜‰

The iPhone superior to most smart phones out there including the oh so loved crackberries. After 4 months of use, i can honestly say that i type faster on its virtual keyboard than i used to type on my HTC TyTn / Titan smart phones. I now only carry the Titan with me because i use it as a WiFi router for data access for my iPhone ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s free from work, so why pay the extra 30$ to Fido/Robbers ?

Interface and usability wise, it’s like night and day compared to Winmo. In terms of stability, at firmware 2.2 it truly is more stable than any Winmo in every aspect (browser included). Not quite as stable as my last berry but deff close.

Yes, i know it lacks copy/paste but i haven’t done much text editing on it. I use if for games/apps, surfing the web and of course for corp/personal e-mail.

Oh ya, the Exchange support is actually better than on my Winmo devices ! go figure

Adi

• A_Pickle

I really don’t see how the iPhone is all that much better. I think the iPhone’s hardware is pretty good /[

• adisor19

Not sure why you say the iPhone’s hardware is lacking. I mean, yeah it doesn’t have an FM radio/transmitter but the core of it is pretty damn potent. CPU that can go as high as 600Mhz (if Apple would allow programs to do on the fly CPU frequency switching. I know Apple does it but i don’t know if they allow third parties to do it), a VERY potent 3D accelerator and a capacitive touch display all make up for a quite unique and powerful devices.

Check out this vid from Brothers in Arms : Hour of Heroes game :

ยง[< http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAYfieW9liU<]ยง Those are some freakin awesome graphics for such a device. It's up there with the PSP as far as i can tell. I've yet to see another touch screen Winmo device out there using the same technology as the iPhone for it's touch sensor. And multi touch is pretty damn well implemented as well. Makes for waaaay faster typing compared to the storm for example where a push of the screen is required for every letter to be typed. Adi

• A_Pickle

I’ve used the iPhone’s keyboard, and I can’t see how multi-touch helps it at all — unless you actually use two fingers to type on it sometimes. I have the TouchPal software input device on my Windows Mobile phone (a PPC-6700 with a resistive touch 320×240 screen, at that), and while I’d say the iPhone’s keyboard is more responsive and resolute, I’m perfectly happy with the TouchPal as a pretty complete replacement. It supports gestures as well, which makes symbol entry easy as hell.

That said, the iPhone is not the only phone with a capacitive touchscreen out there — there are quite a few these days… and to my knowledge, Apple has no handsets with a 640×480 resolution or higher. Multi-touch is nice, but ultimately, it doesn’t make or break a smartphone – the only really ‘revolutionary’ bit about multi-touch might be in gaming, where it could play out to be a neat means of input… but for general smartphone tasks like contact management, websurfing, etc? I want to use one hand… and one finger.

I’ll give you the CPU and graphics (forgot about those, frankly) — which are both considerably faster than those found on mainstream Windows Mobile/Blackberry/Palm devices, and capable of doing demonstrably more strenuous tasks (like Brothers in Arms). Ironic that iPhone gaming is vehemently ahead of Windows Mobile gaming. ๐Ÿ˜€

I’m afraid I just don’t see it as the magical wonder device that everyone else sees it as, there are plenty of equally good options out there that cover the majority of my needs in a superior manner than the iPhone.

• adisor19

In regards to the Keyboard, yes i do use 2 fingers at the same time and i would assume most pple would do the same. Typing in this manner is ridiculously fast to the point where i can easily outpace a regular crackberry user. It sux you can’t do the same on the the Stom, the iPhone wanabe killer device from RIM.

Adi

• ludi

It wasn’t the first phone of its kind, nor is it the best-in-every-way handset on the market, but it was the first phone in the US market to combine its feature set in a way that got everyone’s attention, then added some special sauce to the mix (like multi-touch). And since it was Apple, it was also able to convince the man on the street to pay attention, and pay the early-adopter tax.

Could say the same about the iPod line, really. It was neither the first of its kind nor is it the best in every possible way, but it’s pretty good overall, and it has mindshare.

• A_Pickle

Damn. That about sums it up, I’d say. Quoted fer truth…

• A_Pickle

Why the s**t didn’t HTC bring that to the states? I hope the dumb**s who decided that got sacked.

Because Americans don’t know there are choices outside of what service providers have. I have a friend who thought unlocked phone = stolen phone. Which could be why the iPhone is popular.

• A_Pickle

They don’t, in certain carriers. Which is a problem, admittedly.

• ludi

I think that has more to do with Americans preferring to buy their phones on the installment plan by means of the service plan payments. Sign a 1-year, get $80 off. Sign a 2-year, get the phone for “free”…

• Flying Fox

Crappy camera, but of course if you want phone+camera there are a bunch of non-Apple choices available.

I just don’t agree that the iPhone is the be-all-end-all phone. You really have to pick a phone based on your use cases.

• MathMan

You’d be surprised how many iPhone owners do not really use it as their regular MP3/Video player. If I look at the 10, 15 people in my social circle how have one, there’s only 5 who do, but they still have a smaller iPod nano on the side and often a bigger one for the total music collection. The others (me included) use it mainly as a phone, email reader and a mobile browser (without question the killer feature for now. I use it All The Time).

The only time I use it for movies is when I’m flying.

My 8 GB iPhone has roughly 4 screens of Apps, a number of pod casts and that’s basically it. Total flash usage: 500MB. 4 GB would have been just fine for my usage.

• A_Pickle

Perhaps. I’m also coming from Windows Mobile-world, where phone manufacturers have used kleenex for brains and consider 320 MB of built-in memory “a lot.” Obviously it isn’t, and Windows Mobile turns into a nightmare from hell when you run low on memory.

The only time a Windows Mobile hardware manufacturer develops a phone with an appreciable amount of storage on it (appreciable = being able to measure the volume in whole gigabytes), they nerf it by nixing user-expandable storage. That’s right, I’m looking at you, HTC. Asshats.

• PerfectCr

I always find it funny when people rip the iPhone. Don’t like it? Don’t buy it. But why campaign against it online? I can guess why however. Perhaps you secretly want one?

• A_Pickle

Actually, no — I have nothing against the phone itself, save for the few criticisms I levied against it in my discussion with adisor19. There’s no denying the iPhone is a capable, worthwhile, and serious competitor in the smartphone market. It is a well-designed, well-operating smartphone.

I just would like to know what the fuss over it is, because it’s almost as if society thinks it’s the only one out there. I have a two year old PPC-6700, which I picked up six months before the first iPhone came out… and it does most of what the iPhone does, just as well as the iPhone does it.

• Flying Fox

You will have to ask the mirror question, “why do iphone fanboys have to rip other phones and campaign against them online?”, at the same time to complete the picture.