UPDATED: Chrome comes out of beta stage

Some Google products just never seem to make it out of beta—just ask Gmail users. With Chrome, however, Google doesn’t seem interested in having another product stagnate in an officially incomplete state. TechCrunch says Google VP Marissa Mayer revealed in an interview that the browser "is coming out of beta."

Mayer apparently didn’t mention a schedule. However, TechCrunch explains that PC vendors want to bundle the browser on their systems, but they can’t offer it unless it’s a proper, complete release, so Google may feel pressure to make the move quickly. Considering Chrome’s performance, security features, and unique touches (like the ability to save web apps as desktop shortcuts), one can easily see why the likes of Dell or HP might be interested. Such a partnership could really bolster the browser’s market share, too.

Google released the very first Chrome beta for Windows in early September. Chrome is based off the same WebKit rendering engine as Apple’s Safari, but it uses a speedy, custom-built V8 JavaScript engine and includes some of Firefox’s anti-phishing functionality. According to Net Applications figures, the browser’s market share surged over the 1% mark within days of the launch, but it subsequently fell and only recently made it to 1% again.

Update: Well, that was quick. Google has announced on its blog that Chrome is no longer in beta as of today. The latest release is numbered 1.0.154.36.

• indeego

update:

Today I went to start chrome and I got this pop-up warning me that an administrator had changed chrome to work in system mode instead of user mode.

I then got a popup (in IE? wtf ick!) asking me why I was *[

• Firestarter

So if this is 1.0, where is my flashblock?

• tesla120

hmmm mine says 0.4 with no updates….

do we need to reinstall the 1.0??

• indeego

Google says they are rolling out updates over a few daysg{<.<}g

• axeman

If this was a Microsoft product, this would be at least Service Pack 1 by now. 😉 In Microsoft-speak, RTM is just a huge public Beta test IMO.

• GreatGooglyMoogly

So much for the quality of the software to determine the beta status as they stated earlier when someone pointed out that half of their stuff is in beta.

Kind of full of shit, really.

• StashTheVampede

“quality” does not immediately infer what beta is. beta is merely a milestone. generally speaking: code complete, major bugs not immediately visible and ready for others to use it.

• DrDillyBar

Chrome is a pretty good browser, but still needs some serious polish.
    My one major gripe with it is that when you are downloading something and close the browser, all downloads are canceled.

• deathBOB

What I like about Chrome is how quickly it starts. it’s pretty much instantaneous whereas Firefox takes a good 15 seconds.

The only feature I miss from FF is middle mouse button scrolling.

• Ricardo Dawkins

IE 8 Betas slow and buggy as hell. and BLOATED!
    FF dont want to run that BLOATED mess again
    Safari… out of question

Chrome… nice, small, fast and BASIC. Bookmarks handling is horrible, no many add-ins like IE 8 Beta or FF.

• Meadows

You know, the majority thinks the lack of add-ons is a negative point.

• indeego

How is FF bloated? It’s a 7.1MB download, installs in about 25-30MB space, and with the -ms switch takes about 5 seconds to install. Even the portable version fits on the smallest of USB sticksg{<.<}g

• Ricardo Dawkins

I use the portable version and with bloated I mean RAM usage. Same crap as IE. Chrome is much better. More lightweight.

• indeego

After playing with Chrome for a few hours and checking caching levels, I gotta say I agree. Still, since I have a lot of available memory, and FF does what I want, it remains primaryg{<.<}g

• Tamale

you bought ram to use it, no?

stop thinking less memory usage = better. if that was true you’d only have 640k and you’d be happy with it.

• Ricardo Dawkins

I dont need to buy anything when Chrome is working fine and better than those 2 pigs.

• shaq_mobile

ricardo you are my hero.

• Tamale

if you have less ram, the browser will use less. it calculates how much to use based on how much you have available. why don’t people understand this?

• moose17145

Personally once i started just going stupidly overboard on loading my machines down with memory i just stopped caring how much system memory applications use. I have to admit… it’s a good feeling…

• Thanato

I just installed Chrome because Safari was turning out to be a dud of a product, to many issues with video streaming. hehe that’s all I use these “other” browsers for anyway, being firefox as my prime. Anyways Chrome is working rather well so far, and I like the simple interface.

• herothezero

Yawn…Chrome is so very uninteresting.

• 5150

Chrome isn’t the only one.

• bogbox

What a like at Opera and Firefox hasn’t is Speak function (reads your web pages).
    Firefox has more speed and addons than Opera.
    I’m now using FF3 beta 1,which is very fast.

• Meadows

If I were you I’d use Firefox 3.1 beta 2 instead.

• adisor19

I second that. The new super fast JavaScript engine is enabled by default in beta 2. It was off in beta 1.

Adi

• PRIME1

l[

• bcronce

Each tab in Chrome is a separate process that runs with lower permissions than the current user. For the most part this means that each process won’t affect another one, this allows for perfect multi threading, and exploiting a process won’t give more permissions that that of the process. The only downfall is this creates more overhead but allows for better scalability, security, and stability

• indeego

But it still can’t block elements a.k.a. noscript/flashblock/a*block without quite a bit of manual trickeryg{<.<}g

• designerfx

It also has a problem handling a number of websites and somehow still manages to have poor or no flash performance. I hate flash as much as anyone else who knows something about what flash really is (proprietary), but at least if the crap worked, etc.

• srg86

Although Opera is pretty good for printing. As a main brower, I find it’s UI almost unusable.

• fpsduck

I tried to watch movie streaming on some websites
    and Chrome makes me go back to use FF.

• Imperor

I’m way too used to blocking all ads in FF to switch to another browser lacking that functionality. Not loading all the ads makes it fast! Rendering ads quicker, not so much…

• Xenolith

I don’t block ads, but I use the noscript extension…let’s me pick and choose which scripts to run. I have no problems with ads, just so long as they don’t run scripts. Nice security feature.

• indeego

Exactly. Until I can block *[

• cegras

I wonder if they’ll fix the rampant freezing with flash. I hope they do.

• idiot@core

Goodbye -[

• Neutronbeam

I tried out the Opera 10 Alpha and it is the fastest thing I have ever used. I literally could not believe its speed; it renders almost instantaneously and is extraordinary.

• Meadows

I’m still waiting for IE8 final, and I’ll be using that as soon as I’ve made sure it’s good enough. I have high hopes and expectations.
    Currently on FF3.1 beta 2, tried Chrome once for approximately 7 minutes, never going to install it again in my life. It’s hideous.

• axeman

I’ll agree there. Firefox is so customizable, it’s ridiculous; I could care less about memory usage. Google OTOH, is targeting mobile users, so I can see how that affects the product, but damn, that thing has some terrible aesthetics. But really, what has Google made that isn’t fugly? It’s all about functionality, and this approach has really made them a force to be reckoned with.

• engti

ugly???…. i find it so much better looking than the other browsers.

main drawback with Chrome remains the absence of extensions.

other than that i find it much more usable. and they claim the flash bug is gone, if it truly is, then my life has been made so much easier

• Kulith

Well I’m using it on both my desktop and laptop and I love it.

Opera crashes too much, FF is just obnoxious now, and IE is out of the question.

Although I could be talked back into Opera.

• muyuubyou

Never had a browser crash on me as often as Chrome.

• bthylafh

I’ve had a relative bunch of crashes since upgrading to FF3 from 2. Not sure if it’s plugins, extensions, or just the browser.

• indeego

I will have an occasional crash in FF, but nothing too strange as I use that app more than any other. I loaded up IE7 the other day to test something (I rarely use that browser,) and it crashed fairly quickly. I try and keep IE7 on my intranet only nowg{<.<}g 🙂