Poll: What’s the best PC game of 2008?

Say what you will about the latest AMD and Nvidia graphics cards; most folks use them for the same purpose: playing games. With the year practically over, we’ve put up a new poll asking what you think is the best PC game of 2008. Has a big blockbuster like Fallout 3 captivated you most? Does Sins of a Solar Empire rank highest in your list for its indie charm and lack of intrusive copy-protection software? Or do you have an entirely different pick?

We asked ourselves similar questions in last week’s podcast. As far as PC titles go, we particularly enjoyed Crysis Warhead, Call of Duty: World at War, Dead Space, Far Cry 2, Left 4 Dead, and Mass Effect.

Whether you agree with us or not, you may cast your vote either below or on our front page. We’ve tried to include all major new games without listing every single release, so if we missed your pick, feel free to vote "Other" and post in the comments.

In our last poll, we asked for your predictions on how AMD’s 45nm Phenom II processors will compete when they come out next year. 31% of voters said they expect Phenom IIs to sit between Intel’s Core 2 and Core i7 processors, while 21% think AMD will only match Core 2 Quads, and a hopeful 18% believe AMD will catch up to low-end Core i7 CPUs. The remaining 30% think Phenom IIs will either fail to match the competition or somehow beat the Core i7.

• Pax-UX

Braid was the best game of last year, IMO.

• jadelove

Fallout 3 is definitely number 1 for me. But currently I am playing simpler games which are just as enjoyable like Gemsweeper or Arcade Lines from ยง[<http://www.lobstersoft.com<]ยง

• moose17145

I voted fallout 3… seeing how as of all the games on this list, that is the only one i have actually played. Christ i only just yesterday bought Supreme Commander and The Orange Box! And that was only because my girlfriend got me a 50 dollar gift card to Best Buy. I just cannot justify spending 50 bucks on a single game anymore, so i tend to lag a year or two behind everyone else it seems. Fallout 3 was the first game i bought right when it came out in YEARS.

Btw i had no idea Supreme Commander supported dual monitors! Thats awesome! Wish more games did!

And Portal was great… already beat it! ๐Ÿ™‚ Think i might play through it again.

Also this may be an isolated case… but i cannot make half life 2 work. I am running Vista 64 bit and whenever i go to start half life 2, it tries to open in 64 bit mode and just locks up trying to load the game menu. Then i have to force open tank manager and kill the process to get it to go away. Anyone know of this issue or if there is a fix for it?

• NeronetFi

I found this for your half life 2 issue. Hope it helps

Goto your steam app, highlight Half-Life 2, go down to properties. Set Launch options. It will give you something that says “Only for advanced users” put
      -32bit in that, hit okay/apply and then run the game.

Edit**

• moose17145

Ah thank you… that made it start up without locking. I would have googled it, but i just got the thing last night and was being lazy. Even now i am commenting between cooking and early christmas eve dinner. ๐Ÿ™‚

• NeronetFi

You are welcome and forget the early dinner play HL2 ๐Ÿ™‚

• honolululu

Voted Mass Effect, but if I could do it again I’d vote other:

The Witcher

just clear your cookies, vote with a different browser, or go to another computer. ๐Ÿ˜†

STUFFING THE BALLOT BOX IS FUN!

• fpsduck

I haven’t played Sins of a Solar Empire (SoSE) yet
    but I voted for SoSE because it’s DRM free.

That’s sad.

• ClickClick5

fpsduck has a point.
        This (non Steam) DRM is s***!

• Ruiner

The Witcher was a pretty decent RPG, as was the NWN2 expansion ‘Mask of the Betrayer’. Either was easily as good as F3.

Bethesda really phoned in the ending for F3. I got the impression Ron Perlman and Liam Niessen were charging megabucks per word.

• Cannyone

The only PC game that I’ve really played that much is Fallout 3. I have several of the other titles listed, but I don’t enjoy any of them as much as I do Fallout 3. Speaking of which… I think I’ll go play it for a while. ๐Ÿ™‚

I enjoyed GTA4 on the PS3. that was my vote.

I think I might like Sins of a Solar Empire, but I just never got around to picking it up.

• SomeOtherGeek

WTF, I’m still on last year’s games!

• VILLAIN_xx

lol same here.. im just barely finishing Prey. Im a few years behind on games, so im happy with the dirt cheap deals.

• fpsduck

Lol. I just played and finished Bioshock this year.

• thebeastie

We played Crysis Wars at work today, 6 player. Using merely the free trail demo.
    We all thought it was fantastic!

• alloyD

i couldn’t decide between Left 4 Dead and Sins of a Solar Empire. Two very different, but very awesome games.

• Weckl

Crysis Warhead for me. Although it was short is the only game with the higher “WOW” factor througout the single player campaign… And what it really makes this game a GOTY is Crysis Wars multiplayer experience. Just when you thought you’ve seen it all (the best explosions ever seen in a PC game, all that eye candy DirectX10 effects) Crysis Wars is there for you waiting for the most amazing good looking DirectX10 maps ever created on a multiplayer game. I have an ATI 4870 X2. Never thought I only get 24fps or even less on a multiplayer map… When playing on a Directx 10 map, being the maps so demanding you cannot really tell if you are playing the single player campaign or multiplayer…

• Silus

Fallout 3 IS GOTY!

• twizttid13

I find it funny WoW was voted low. They are all to busy with their addiction to be checking a tech news site.

• axeman

I’m surprised at how many people were able to pry themselves away from it to vote… and to those people that did…you seriously think an expansion pack deserves to be called game of the year? You fail.

• Meadows

It sure is the best content addition to the game so far.

I won’t even try Fallout 3, if people say it’s like Oblivion, then it’s poison. I would buy GTA 4 without Securom though.

• aleckermit

I said Dead Space because it combined the content of some of my favorite games (Metroid Prime, Doom 3, Silent Hill) into one great package.

And it runs like butter on the PC too ๐Ÿ˜‰

Also I have to give L4D it’s dues, the multiplayer 4 on 4 is just plain genius.

Out of that list, I have and according to xfire, I’ve played:

Crysis Warhead – 29 hours
    Dead Space – ???
    Fallout 3 – 19 hours
    Left 4 Dead – 34 hours
    Sins of a Solar Empire – 42 hours
    Spore – 3 hours

So SoaSE wins? Then again, L4D has only been out for a month…

• DrDillyBar

Expansion! w00t

• casingh

Didn’t any new titles this year…. But will do next year..

• bowman

Left 4 Dead, followed by Mass Effect. Can TF2 get an honorable mention for the continuous flow of free content packs, only slightly speed bumped by the L4D release?

• StashTheVampede

i played a lot of solitaire this year.

• DrDillyBar

Spider.

• NeronetFi

Minesweeper

• yogibbear

Desktop Tower Defense.

• FubbHead

Had I not played Mass Effect on the 360, I’d probably vote for it. Instead, Fallout 3 got my vote.

• Kurkotain

other: Katamari damacy

Most original game ever ๐Ÿ˜‰

hahahaha please don’t kill me…or ban me hahahah

• Obsidian

I couldn’t dream of voting for anything but Mass Effect. I’ve never played anything so epic. Even on the third play through I still enjoyed it more than several of the other games on TR’s list.

Left 4 Dead deserves a mention though. It’s one of the best multiplayer experiences of all time.

• matic

Haven’t played any game on that list, I guess that running on an integrated GPU is a good enough excuse… I voted Other because during 2008 my seldomly need for virtual assassination has been fulfilled by UrbanTerror that runs reasonably well on my AMD690V cheapset and is fast paced enough to make me sick of it in less than 15 minutes. And, OMG!, it runs natively on Linux!
    Now if I could only find a similar game with WWII weapons and a 790GX motherboard under my intermittently enlightened plastic tree…

• Firestarter

I only played 3 of these games, and didn’t like them a lot ๐Ÿ™

• indeego

What does “best” mean?

Most fun?
    Most original?
    Technically superior?
    Artistically?
    Multiplayer?
    Best hype?

I haven’t played, but yeah fallout 3 gets fairly universal praise.

Also gotta give props to World of Goo for a pretty freaking original game that was quick and fun, like Portal was last year.

I played L4D /[

• Krogoth

Fallout 3.

It may be weaker at RPG-elements then its predecessors.

It still manages to be a league about the swarm of MMOPRGs. It is what Oblivion should have been at launch.

Bethesda managed to delivered a solid sequel that only the die-hard *NMA-types will refuse to play.

*NMA = No Mutants Allowed is a major fallout fan site that some of residents are known die-hard Fallout 1&2 fans for silly reasons.

Mass Effect gets a worthy mention although it plays like KOTOR with guns and the back story seems to mirror Freespace universe. I would not be surprise if they both had the same story writer.

Spore deserves most overhyped title for 2008. It screams “EA execs must find ways to make product x into a cash cow like the Sims”.

• wingless

You know, the ratio of good games to bad was very high this year. Most of the games on that list are excellent for their genre. GRID, Sins of a Solar Empire, Mass Effect, Fallout 3, Left 4 Dead and CoD5 are all damn good. I haven’t played the rest but apparently not many sucked.

This is proof that PC gaming IS NOT dying. With new GPU accelerated technologies from ATI and Nvidia becoming main stream, games will only get better too.

• Synchromesh

Best one: GTA 4. Too bad it was released in a buggy state and late in the year. Close second: Far Cry 2, Crysis follows that one.

But if we look at purely hours spent, it’s definitely FEAR Combat. Been playing that most of the year between those 3 games. ๐Ÿ™‚

• TheBob!

have you played these games? GTA is buggy and FarCry is super repetitive. Ok games, but far from the best.

• Meadows

You can work around GTA’s bugs, for the most part – it’s worth it, I consider it a good game (and extremely realistic in some things, lighting and atmosphere are better than anything I’ve seen elsewhere).

You’re right about Far Cry 2, it’s a short tech demo on a loop. It doesn’t even allow you to move freely most of the time, because you’re often just confined to the roads and a 20-30 metre radius around them – feels like a large boring rat maze with a skybox. And it’s too gray, not even Africa looks like that. I think they overdid what they wanted to achieve with desaturation. Quake 3 Arena looks like My Little Pony in comparison.

• Synchromesh

I agree, GTA4 bugs put up a fight, in my case mostly because of SP3. But after downloading the proper drivers, overclocking my card a bit and using their latest patch it actually runs decent. Aside from technical issues the game itself is excellent.

I also agree that FC2 is repetitive in several places but nevertheless I enjoyed it. It was like sort of an African GTA with some limitations. Crysis was awesome too but just way too short to be GOTM imho. That goes for both Crysis and Warhead.

• TurtlePerson2

I was kind of disappointed after last year. There were some good games this year, but I didn’t really feel any reason to buy any of them.

Last year I bought World in Conflict and Supreme Commander and played through my friend’s copy of COD4. 2007 also had Crysis, Bioshock, and the Orange Box.

• herothezero

Was a great year for PC gaming. Played a lot of STALKER: CS, Fallout 3 and Sins of a Solar Empire.

Oh, but consoles are taking over, PC development is too difficult and not profitable…something something something…

PC Gaming: Dying since 1995 FTW!

• grantmeaname

UT 2003. Best game last year and the year before that too…

• Usacomp2k3

Not 2004?

• OneArmedScissor

Lol come to think of it, UT2k4 was the best “new” game for me this year. I came across some mods I’d never tried that I played quite a bit, at least for a few days.

This year was lame, and last year didn’t really impress me either. I’m still waiting for the next official Supreme Commander: FA patch. It’s been over a year now, and community mods have attempted to fix the bugs they never did from over a year ago, but they still haven’t integrated them like they said they would.

I’m tired of games not working right. This has been a growing trend ever since I first got back into computer games and picked up C&C Generals. Everything inevitably has some some significant issue that keeps me from enjoying it as much as I should be able to.

• kravo

gta 4, listed in the poll, isn’t the PC version, is it? it can’t be.

Big-name title, shipped this year.

• Meadows

It can, it’s been out since forever.

• Shinare

I’m still stuck in 2007. ๐Ÿ™ Orange Box (TF2 and Portal really…), Bioshock, and UT3 are it for me right now.

• mongoosesRawesome

Wow, the only game on that list that I’ve played is Left 4 Dead, which was good but not as addicting as TF2 last year. I’m really not sure what to do with Left 4 Dead. The four levels can be beaten in a day, and after that, you just replay them. After a while it gets kind of boring, especially since at most you only have 8 players on a server.

2007 was a great year for gaming, and while many were predicting 2008 to be as good or better, I don’t think it reached that level.

I am sure I’ll eventually get around to playing some of those games though, especially Fallout 3 once it drops in price.

• ihira

Who needs single player games when you have Valve?

The only game out of that list I’ve played is Left 4 Dead and I’m loving it.
      Amazingly fun but I can see myself getting bored of it eventualy due to lack of content.
      TF2 on the other hand, I can’t see myself quitting that game.

• shaq_mobile

l4d can be beaten in a day, and its only got 6 weapons (pistol, dualies dont count as a diff gun, shotty, smg, assault rifle, noob shotty, hunting rifle) and propane tanks, gas tanks, oxygen tanks, pipebombs, molotovs… but those barely count as weapons. they are sweet though.

on expert mode though, with 3 friends late at night, its a blast. i always set off the car alarms on purpose ๐Ÿ˜€

• cygnus1

If expansions counted:

r[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_of_the_Stars<]ยง

• MadManOriginal

I tried the SotS demo and while it’s a nice game the single plane for combat kills it. A space combat game that doesn’t have 3D combat, in 2007 or 2008? Come on…Homeworld had that ages ago.

• deruberhanyok

Other:

r[http://2dboy.com/games.php<]ยง

• boing

The Witcher Enhanced Edition. A most excellent game made even better.

• homerdog

Not until this bug gets fixed: ยง[<http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17287.0<]ยง

• boing

Weird, I don’t have that problem. Then again I bought the russian version, maybe it doesn’t have this bug.

• homerdog

Perhaps you have lighting set to low?

• boing

I have most settings to low, since my gfxcard is rather slow.

• homerdog

Speak of the devil, they just released a hotfix!
        ยง[<http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=21011.0<]ยง Holy shit it's 106MB *_*

• MattMojo

I voted for L4D — but I have to agree with you that the Witcher – Enhanced Ed. was by far the best game I played this year — spent close to 53 hours on that game and I could play it again.

The only issue/bug I had with it was after 3-4 hours of straight play (which is very easy to do on this game) it would dump out to the desktop.

• DrDillyBar

Sins of a Solar Empire. Played that one the most all year from that list.

• moshpit

Agreed, even if I voted Fallout 3 instead because it was more intense. Sins gets more time out of me by a large margin. It runs really well while my PC runs Media Center Live TV on my secondary monitor. Basicly get to watch Battlestar Galactica while playing my favorite space strategy game ๐Ÿ˜€

• DrDillyBar

Sweet.

Makes me want a new MoO game (MoO3 sucked), and Homeworld 3 really bad though.

• DrDillyBar

Moo3 sucked. Tis True.

• Ubik

Master of Orion 3? There WAS no Master of Orion 3! Seriously! I can’t hear you! LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Voted Sins of a Solar Empire. Great game, and a welcome reprieve from endless FPS games.

• 5150

Left 4 Dead. I play that game so much I still play it in my head while I’m trying to sleep.

• valrandir

Eve Online: Quantum Rise

• CasbahBoy

I trust my friend that still plays Eve fully. We are both in GoonSwarm, and I was there from before we were even an Alliance, I decided to stop playing after two years and a period of inactivity, and he started up maybe a year ago. He tells me the lag problem has been fixed and he has been in multiple fights with 500 people on grid with completely bearable module lag, but I just don’t have it in me to believe it.

I don’t think I will ever go back, but I love the game (I can’t imagine a more enjoyable experience than playing as a Goon!) despite all of it and it’s developers’ faults.

• SsP45

I’ll have to vote for Left 4 Dead, as that’s the one I’ve played the most recently.

• PRIME1

I had to vote for Warcraft Licking because it’s the only game I’ve played on that list.

Clearly I must get Fallout Boy and I’ve heard nothing but good things. CoD as well.

• zer0

I didn’t like Call of Duty much. Had the same problems at CoD3 where every enemy on the map seems to focus solely on the player leading to enemies pulling off ridiculous shots and killing you no matter where you take cover. It gets extremely aggravating after a while. CoD4 didn’t seem to suffer from this AI problem, but it was a different developer so go figure…

• twizttid13

Yea I thought Call of Duty 5 was pretty weak but it was a step up from 3. It didn’t have an epic ending like most of them had. But it was still pretty fun, mass shooting and good graphics. I voted for Dead Space however. I think its the most unique game plus I’m a huge fan of space games/movies. It was actually quite like playing through a horror movie.

I have started Fallout 3 and the beginning was very good then once I got further into the game it became very Oblivion like (hated that game). So I’m not sure how I will like this game. Mass Effect was fun though.

Edit: Just would like to add I like space shooter/RPG games. Not spaceship games they annoy me (Sins of a Solar Empire for example just googled it).

• zer0

Fallout 3 is amazing. It definitely got my vote. My only complaint is the level cap set at 20. It feels too low. I’m only about halfway through the game and already at lvl 19…

• bthylafh

I agree about the level cap being too low. I’m told that there’s a mod out already that removes the cap. I think this is it:

ยง[<http://www.fileplanet.com/194463/190000/fileinfo/Fallout-3—Skill-Level-Cap-100-Mod<]ยง

• peekpoke

There is an easy (painless) mod to increase the level limit to 30 or 40, which really helps if you want to fully explore. But that doesn’t fix the horrible closed end nature of the main quest.

Still I voted it #1 for the far better writing and design compared to Oblivion. None of those awful cookie cutter caves/dungeons you saw in Oblivion. Feels much more organic.

• ecalmosthuman

Where can I find this painless mod for increasing the level cap?

The only ones I’ve found seem to come with all kinds of caveats and restrictions, like some that could actually result in getting stuck in the PIP Boy screen permanently.

• zer0

Supposedly Bethesda has hinted at upping the level cap with the new DLC. I’m curious to know if the mod would cause problems once the DLC is installed. I might just wait to find out before potentially losing my game when I install the DLC when its released.

• KarateBob

My most played game of 2008 is Team Fortress 2. It can’t be “GOTY 2008” cause it came out in 2007, but over the past year, Valve has added so many new things (maps, gameplay types, class upgrades), and tweaked the gameplay so much, it feels like a completely different game than what was launched back in 2007.

Thanks Valve, and the TF2 steam, for my favorite game of 2008: Team Fortress 2.

• willyolio

i’ve been too busy playing TF2 to try any of those games…

• KarateBob

I’m in the same situation.

I enjoyed Crysis, so I bought Crysis Warhead/Wars, thinking I play them immediately. I installed both like two months ago, haven’t gotten past the first level in Warhead, and haven’t even booted up Crysis Wars. Thanks TF2.

• Meadows

You’re not in the same shoes, you threw money out the window. I wouldn’t call that clever or recommended.

• ImSpartacus

No kidding. I bought the Orange Box a year ago and still haven’t needed another game. Still haven’t beat Portal. TF2 FTW.

• Vasilyfav

If it takes you a year to beat a 2-hour game, you should probably reconsider your definition of “gaming”.

• Meadows

I think he just haven’t had time even for some Orange Box games, with the value and addiction that’s in TF2.

• cygnus1

Haven’t beat portal? I beat that game in like 4 or 5 hours

• ecalmosthuman

Tough call between Fallout 3 and Mass Effect.

• wingless

Mass Effect has a superb story that makes you want to keep on playing but Fallout 3 has more freedom of gameplay imo. I agree with you 100% though, tough call between these two.

EDIT: I think a special note should be given to Sins of a Solar Empire for best Space RTS in a long ass time.

• BKA

Exactly what I was thinking also. Don’t know which one to choose.