UPDATED: Windows 7 beta is publicly available at last

Right on schedule, Microsoft has released the first Windows 7 beta to the public. You should be able to grab the pre-release operating system from this page on Microsoft’s TechNet site, but don’t be surprised if you get a “Server is too busy” error—demand seems to be pretty high.

Microsoft says it’s making the beta available only to the first 2.5 million downloaders, and the preview license will expire on August 1, 2009. You’ll find instructions for how to download and install it over on this page. Microsoft says you need a machine with at least the following components:

• Processor: 1 GHz 32-bit or 64-bit processor
  • Memory: 1 GB of system memory
  • Hard drive: 16 GB of available disk space
  • Video card: Support for DirectX 9 graphics with 128MB memory (in order to enable Aero theme)
  • Drive: DVD-R/W drive
  • Internet connection (to download the Beta and get updates)
  • This being beta software, we suggest installing it on a spare computer—or at least on a separate hard drive or partition—in case something goes awry. Microsoft recommends making regular backups while using the beta, too.

Update: Wired reports that the public beta will be available at noon PST from the official Windows 7 website. Folks having trouble with the TechNet download page may want to wait and try that.

Update 3:30 PM: A Microsoft staffer has posted the following statement on the Windows Team Blog:

Due to very heavy traffic we’re seeing as a result of interest in the Windows 7 Beta, we are adding some additional infrastructure support to the Microsoft.com properties before we post the public beta. We want to ensure customers have the best possible experience when downloading the beta, and I’ll be posting here again soon once the beta goes live. Stay tuned! We are excited that you are excited!

So much for the timely rollout.

Update 01/10 3:35 PM: The beta is now finally available from the official Windows 7 website. Just click “Get the Beta” at the bottom right of that page.

• indeego

What are people’s “Experience Index/Performance” scores? Surprisingly, mine went down from Vista (Although they probably aren’t comparable since Vista goes up to 7.9?)

My score was 3.0, apparently it doesn’t like my disk transfer rate. Does 7 want Intel SSD’s onlyg{

• Krogoth

7.8 CPU (Q6600@3.0Ghz), 7.6 memory (5 GiB of PC2-6400@ 667 Mhz 5-5-5-15, 6.0 graphics (X1900XT), 3.0 Disk (250Gb Seagate 7200.8)

• MarioJP

just installed it in vmware. I must say it is fast. They trimmed down the running processes. I even did a test of putting it under 512mb of ram and it was still fast a bit slow compared to 1gb but it is still fast. And with 1gb setup it is just snappy. So far i am just playing with it. I also noticed it has directx 11.

• Hance

Looks like microsoft decided to remove the 2.5 million download limit for the next couple of weeks.

wonder what kind of activation limit we’ll see. If I decide to put Win7 on another machine in, say, April, I wonder if it’ll still activate.

• Hance

Just a guess on my part but I think its going to turn into an open beta myself. I have a few reasons for thinking that.

First off vista was a stinker and most people seem pretty happy with Windows 7. Get people talking about OMG windows 7 is teh aWsomE man.

There is only a total of ten different key’s for activation. If they cut off activation they are going to have people screaming that they downloaded it on day one and now they don’t get to use it.

Finally the bigger the beta the more bugs can/will be squashed before the final release.

• Krogoth

MS is getting really excited at the prospect of having so many “potential” customers.

• End User

Such a boring OS. This is Vista SE. No useful UI/functionality improvements over 2000/XP/Vista.

• ChangWang

What I find funny is that all the Vista naysayers think that 7 is like the second coming. 7 is nothing more than Vista with a modified UI and some tweaks. The underpinnings are the same

• kenclopz

Again, tried Vista the other day with an AMD Phenom and 4 gb of ram and an ati 4850 in a friends computer. Vista still sucks compared to Windows 7. Windows 7 is, as of right now, faster than Vista at doing the most minute things, such as opening up folders. I still see printer errors on Vista, not on Windows 7. It feels faster on my Pentium 4 3.0 ghz w/ hyper-threading with 2 gb of ram and geforce 6800 agp, then it does on a Phenom with 4 gb of ram and an ati 4850.

Windows 7 should be a free upgrade for Windows Vista users. I will buy Windows 7 when it comes out and upgrade from xp to 7.

• Krogoth

They are the “same” speed.

Already made a comparison between a “virgin” Vista SP1 installation and “7 Beta”.

They is almost no difference in performance. The only area that there was a difference is driver registration. I found the 7 beta to be noticeably faster.

• kenclopz

Sorry, but your simply wrong. Fail.

• Meadows

Everyone else begs to differ. You’re wrong as usual.

• Krogoth

Because they never “tried” doing virgin installations. You can do it with a legit copy of Vista. It is kinda hard to make a fair performance comparison between a “loaded” copy of an OS versus one that is freshly installed.

Anyway, the difference in driver registration speed is quite noticeable. Vista x64 always took its sweet time for whatever reason. 7 is almost XP-like in registration speed.

I never got a chance to see if the 7 beta “fixed” the network-related problems though. I really hope that they are fixed now or at least at some point. Everything else was practically the same. Oh noes, Vista has a few more frames of animation to render for window(s) closing and opening. T3h difference is “HUGE!”

I forgot to mention that Vista 7 beta has far better build-in multi-monitor support.

If you want see the results make the call for yourself. You can install another copy of Vista. You just do not “activate” nor input the product key for the temp copy. The copy is good for 30 days. That is plenty of time for testing purposes.

I am not trying to say that “7” is going to bad or anything. It is going to be what Vista should have been for those who were on the fence or had encounter earlier issues.

• End User

Exactly. I’ve been running Vista since it came out. I installed 7 under a VM. Disappointed. A static upgrade.

• MarioJP

I can’t find it where can i download it at?. Nevermind i found it lol. going to download the 64 bit version. Please kill the 32bit. 32bit has hit a wall already why we are still supporting 32bit?

netbooks…

• Peffse

I don’t have a 64-bit processor, yet Windows 7 runs fine on my PC.

• cygnus1

My perfectly good Pentium M says 32 bit is still important. I can’t however see it being important 3 years after Win7 comes out. This should be the last 32 bit mainstream OS from MS.

• ChangWang

32-bit is still supported because there are corporations that have too many applications that will break going to a 64-bit platform. I’m on my agency’s Vista\7 deployment team, and 64-bit constantly kicked us in the ass when dealing with what we like to call “stovepipe” applications that weren’t developed with the agency as a whole in mind

• Hance

I just installed the 64 bit version on my desktop. Chrome doesnt work I am going to have to find a solution for that. My X-Fi didn’t have drivers I am downloading them now and hoping it will work when I am done.

• ChronoReverse

Current builds of Chrome doesn’t work right now. Chrome does use some low level tricks with Windows so that’s probably why it broke with Win7

• insulin_junkie72

I had to run the X-fi Vista drivers in Vista compatiblity mode, because it seemed the install routine was looking for Vista specifically, bitched when it wasn’t there, and refused to install otherwise.

• Hance

Yeah thats what I did and it seems to be working fine.

I just noticed one of my storage drives wasn’t showing up I have no idea why. I went to disk management and assigned it a letter and now it shows up fine. Kinda odd that that happened.

• Maddog

Same here …

• Maddog

No issues with the install. So many little quirks in Vista now gone. Very happy with this release so far. Just needed to get Bill to become a background task! VistaSE ftw!

• kenclopz

I agree. The UAC system is not nearly as aggressive in this version as it was in Vista. Also, I just used Vista the other day, and it still does not feel as smooth or as quick as Windows 7.

All my equipment installed fine.

• fantastic

I got Windows 7 64 bit working on a spare hard drive. I tried Vista 64 bit on the same computer with a different video card. Installation went quick and smooth. At first boot, the NIC, X-Fi sound card and ATI 4670 didn’t have drivers installed. I had to use my other computer to get the NIC drivers, then it got the ATI drivers by itself. The X-Fi drives aren’t ready yet, but a third party has some that worked fine. Check out the Creative support forums.

Superfetch and the Windows Experience Tool crashed while messing with it. I suspect there might be something small wrong with my motherboard? Maybe it’s just because it’s a beta, but I doubt it.

It was a better experience than Vista by far. I’ll probably get a new motherboard if I buy it. Just to be sure.

• kenclopz

Windows 7 is pretty smooth. And I admit, I was a Vista hater.

This is a clean install from Xp to Windows 7. Loving it thus far.

• kenclopz

Is there an expiration date for this software?

8/1/09

• Jakubgt

Operating system*
        August 2009

• RWAbacus

Re: #111 – my ‘key’ is the 5th one.

Install went very fast for me (about 35-min); also, my computer’s performance went from 5.9 (out of 5.9) down to 7.2 (out of 7.9) – lowest subscore was CPU (Q9550 @2.86GHz). Obviously now this CPU is a dog.

It’s faster than Vista x64 (which I like – and feel that it’s very much maligned). It LOOKS like and FEELS like Vista. I’d be hard pressed to tell the difference.

The download took 45-min and just double-clicked on the resulting download (3.15GB) and NERO came up and wrote the thing in just a few minutes. Very impressive. I’m dual-booting between Vista 64 & Windows 7.

So far – impressed as there were no ‘issues’ whatsoever in any part of the installation routine.

• kvndoom

I’m really not liking this so far. Seems like a lot of steps to get to configuration options I’m used to reaching in a few clicks. Maybe that just takes time.

Unfortunately it didn’t pick up the integrated Ethernet controller on the motherboard. I can’t really go any further until I get that resolved. :-\

• tesla120

not seeing mine either, when i installed the 32bit version a month ago it worked right out of the box maybe their 64 bit versions don’t have as much of a complete driver library that the 32 has

edit: mine worked, i just forgot I had to change my MAC address to bypass cisco clean access when i tried to get on cisco told me i needed to install an operating system to get on, it didn’t recognize windows 7.. lol

• ChronoReverse

I’m curious as to which dialogs those are and how they compared in XP and Vista.

• kvndoom

It could be that I’m just klutzy with it since I’ve never used Vista. I do know for a fact that I hate Media Player 12 even more than I hated 11, which says a lot. I could honestly stay with XP for 3 more years just to use WMP10.

I had forgotten that my backup system is an nforce 3. At least now I know why all the drivers didn’t take. Ugh. My experience with this is going to be bad without some modifications. I’ll pluck away at it over the next couple days.

• ChronoReverse

I pretty much haven’t used WMP since version 6.4 so I can’t comment on that =)

• cygnus1

CAUTION! CONFIRMED MYSELF! MS is handing out DUPE win7 beta keys as of today!!! Win7 beta dupe keys confirmed by comparing keys given on my 8 passport accounts, plus a friends 3 accounts. Keys ARE being duped.

One of the keys activated fine on my laptop. I suspect either the key servers truly are fubar for now or they are only using a handful of keys and using the activation servers to control the 2.5 million limit.

Edit: If you have a key, please compare the first 2 groups with these and report back if yours match:

D9RHV-JG8XC

482XP-6J9WR

RFFTV-J6K7W

JYDV8-H8VXG

7XRCQ-RPY28

Edit 2: Please don’t post full keys, just say if any of yours match the first 2 groups from the 5 different keys I was able to get today.

Edit 3: Also, please post when you got your key

• indeego

Yeah mine matches the last one. bummerg{<.<}g

• lethal

After some digging, it seems the keys aren’t dupe. They are just public activation keys, those 5 have been posted all over the net (which are the 64 bit ones, there are 5 others for the 32 bit link). It seems they just don’t have activation limits, so its likely than instead of handing 2.5 million keys they will just accept the first 2.5 million activations.

[edit] It seems that the keys handed yesterday were unique, but they had a 3 activations limit.

• cygnus1

Well folks, if you haven’t gotten a key from MS, do some searching and use one of the 10 keys (5-64 bit or 5-32 bit).

Also, i’ve done a file compare on the 64 bit copy i downloaded from MS, and the one i got from a torrent, and they matched.

Got mine, too – gave me the 4th one on your list. Activated without issue. Now hopefully if I provide useful feedback they’ll give out complementary versions of the OS when it ships like they did to those who reported bugs with Vista.

• tesla120

I just got mine, its also the 4th on the list, im reinstalling windows seven to this build,
          Im currently running 6956, anyone have any clue what uild they released as beta 1?

• cygnus1

not sure what you mean by ulid, but if by ulid you mean build, it’s build 7000

• tesla120

ya I meant build.. I cant type

• cygnus1

something i’m curious about is if they are controlling the 2.5 million number through the activation servers, is it a 2.5 mil limit/pool for all the keys, or does each of the 10 keys have a 250k activation limit/pool?

I bet they’re not even limiting it to 2.5M people. My bet is that they’re allowing as many as the servers can handle – the more people that get their hands on this beta the better. Win 7 is basically a digital apology for the perceived mess that is Vista.

• Krogoth

Vista was more of a mess for the hardware vendors and software developer who didn’t expect to come out so early.

The end-user suffers from those issues and ends up placing most of the blame at the wrong party. It is no surprise that Vista got tons of mindless FUD’ing.

Even when you write a post that almost makes sense, replying to the post you replied to salvages your perfect record of inanity.

• kvndoom

Wootness! Got a 64 and 32 key (can’t remember which ISO I downloaded), and now I just need to run and buy a blank DVD. I haven’t been this excited about an OS since 2001. Hmmm.

Damn 64 meg AGP card is gonna suck though. No shiny for me!

• UberGerbil

Well, in theory if it’s a DX9 card (with Vista/W7 drivers) you should still be able to run Aero on it, but yeah, keep your expectations constrained.

• lethal

Keys are back online, I just got 3 for 64 bits:

§[<http://lifehacker.com/5128018/windows-7-product-keys-available<]§

• iamajai

thx! worked first try!

• Forge

The product keys are available if you know where and how to look. I got my 5 each of 32 and 64bit last night.

Name: Windows(R) 7, Ultimate edition
      Description: Windows Operating System – Windows(R) 7, RETAIL channel
      Partial Product Key: 84GH3
      License Status: Licensed

• Fighterpilot

You never seem to get the crispness and application speed of a clean install when you upgrade.After testing a fair few betas I reckon a format and install is the least problematic and most reliable way to judge the OS.

• WaltC

Yes, first I would not recommend that anyone take a beta upgrade install routine and use it to install over an earlier, finalized OS version…;) Not a wise choice, imo. The beta upgrade routine could mess up a completely reliable install of an earlier OS version.

The “crispness” and snappy performance of a clean install versus an upgrade install is expected–all of the old programs you were running in your former OS are preserved and still running in the upgrade install. Aside from possible compatibility issues among programs installed into differing OS versions, all of these installed programs are going to consume ram, hard drive space and processing resources. The clean install performs better because at that point you have nothing else installed aside from the OS that will consume hardware and processing resources.

• stefan231

All seems to be running good now it found all my hardware when I did a clean instal not a upgrade.

• Kulith

Ok I just installed win7 64bit on a partition

In case you where wondering, win7 does indeed just add a win7 value to the windows bootloader if you are already dual booting between xp and vista. As long as you install win7 to a third partition you will easily be tri-booting, or quad-booting in my case as I added ubuntu. Just make sure you are using the windows bootloader (and not grub or smthing).

And unfortunately my college obviously doesn’t support win7 so I can’t get internet, but other than that it seems pretty cool.

• Hellsbellboy

I was able to get mine from Technet, soon as I used IE instead of Chrome.

• Sabawon

Hey guys, I clicked the link to download windows 7 32-bit. But my download has stopped after 262 MB. It never go forward. I tried again and again, everytime it stoppes at a point. Even I used DOWNLOAD ACCELERATOR PLUS (DAP). Show guys how to download. I checked microsoft technet website too. It gives a message stating that servers are being updated.

• insulin_junkie72

The 32-bit download does seem to be flakier and less reliable than the 64-bit download.

After about 30 tries, this method for getting a key worked for me:
        §[<http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/01/10/psstheres-how-to-get-your-windows-7-beta-key<]§

My F5 key is crying no luck for me

• insulin_junkie72

If you’re not already, try IE rather than Firefox or whatever.

(Firefox kept redirecting me to the Win7 page instead of erroring out)

• blitzy

It’s so hypocritical that people are excited about win7 when they have been so vitriolic towards Vista, win7 is essentially a tweaked release of vista

That said, I’ll probably still upgrade to it from Vista if the enhancements are worthwhile.. the tweaks for Explorer may even be enough to tempt

• Hance

Microsoft fixed most of the stuff the screwed up in vista. Its vista done right if you like. I am one of the people that absolutely can not stand to use vista and think windows 7 is pretty nice.

• Krogoth

No, it is mostly from hardware vendors who finally got working, stable drivers for the new driver model. The application writers are starting to make their stuff work without issues in a LUA environment. MS just changed the UI and fixed a few things. It is nothing more than “Vista SP2 with a different UI”.

• Mithent

That was my impression before using it too. After having a look at Windows 7, I still think that – yes, there are some improvements that I’d like to have (although the new taskbar isn’t one of them), but it’s small incremental improvements really. I can’t see any good reason to like 7 if you hated Vista (other than seeing what’s a substantially similar OS without the stigma that Vista acquired, and with properly working drivers).

• Krogoth

I have successfully installed it and when through a small shrew of benchmarking tasks.

Windows 7 is *[

• blitzy

yup, which is what I don’t think people realise and why I made my original point – all these people who have been bashing Vista, suddenly see a new marketing name (Windows 7) and are hypocritically positive about it. Yet as you say it is essentially Vista sp2, the OS has been polished, tweaked and a shiny new UI plonked on top.

funnily this further proves their point about how people like vista when they don’t know it’s vista, ala their ‘scientific’ study from a while back.

• Krogoth

That is the power of persistent and baseless FUD.

Vista is not the first nor last case of it either.

• WaltC

What stuff was screwed up in Vista that you think works great in Win7?

Myself, I’ve been happy with both Vista x86 and x64 since I moved to Vista in March of ’07, and it was only a couple of months after that when I completely removed XP from all my systems at home as I was satisfied that Vista was the better of the two OSes. Since then the idea of reverting to XP has not entered my mind–even once. Never even been tempted.

The *only* problematic installs of Vista that I have ever seen were on laptops of one description or other which were older and either did not have the physical resources to properly support Vista (which created the illusion that XP was “faster” on those machines when actually Vista was “slower” simply because it was being run in a hardware environment wherein it literally starved), and on laptops (again) that shipped with lousy or buggy OEM Vista drivers. These two situations or some combination therein probably covered 99% of all Vista complaints and negative exaggerations since the day Vista shipped, imo.

I really have little desire to install the Win7 beta at this point since I am already running Vista (x64) and have no complaints or problems to speak of, and because I cannot think of any compelling thing that this Win7 beta brings to the table that might persuade me to waste time and energy installing it. I’m content to wait until Windows 7 is finalized before taking it for a spin.

Considering that Microsoft has already said, repeatedly, that Win7 shares and will continue to share the Vista platform, and that accordingly Win7 is equally as different from XP as is Vista, if not more so, I find it really amusing to read the remarks of people who claim to “love” Win7 while simultaneously insisting that they “hated” Vista…;) The statement is so illogical, and so incongruous with fact, that I sincerely believe the people who make these comments have never actually used Vista in any form or to any significant degree whatever. What they “hate” is of course not Vista at all–they “hate” only what they’ve “heard” about Vista indirectly. What they “hate” seems little more than an imaginary figment.

I see nothing whatever “wrong” with people skipping whatever versions of a particular OS they care to skip, but I do try to insist that they have cogent and rational reasons for doing so apart from repeating the empty, meaningless phrase “I hate it”…;) Really, that means little to nothing, doesn’t it?

I skipped both WinNT and Win2k, and went straight from Win9x to WinXP, and have never had reason to regret it. However, I can truthfully say that in both the case of NT and 2K that I never, ever skipped them because I “hated” them…;)

I mean, come on, to say that I “hated” an OS I never used is such a ridiculous declaration that I would be ashamed to make it. I skipped both of these OSes because I was not satisfied with the state of device driver development for either. I was completely satisfied, however, with the state of both XP and Vista driver development at the time these OSes shipped and even more so thereafter. Hardware support for both XP and Vista, at least in the desktop arena, was far better than I recall it being for Win95 initially, for instance. At present I have no trouble at all securing high-quality drivers for Vista x64, too. (The only exceptions being in the OEM laptop arena as I mention it above, and that has hardly been Microsoft’s fault and has nothing to do with the overall quality of the Vista OS.)

I think that what is really happening among the people who have irrationally held anti-Vista sentiment since Vista shipped, but who are now screaming about how insanely great Win7 is even in its early, raw, beta form, is that these people have finally put aside their prejudices long enough to discover just how much merit the Vista platform has. IE, they’ve finally started *using* Vista instead of ranting mindlessly about it, and talking up “Win7” while continuing to “talk down” Vista allows them to hide their embarrassment about having been so wrong for so long…;) By pretending that “Win7” and “Vista” are as different as night & day they can justify liking one while “hating” the other, and in this way they seek to save face. It’s pretty funny all around!…:D

Even as the guy designated to suck the dick of Steve Jobs, I find lots of Win7 beta improved over Vista. I have a long enough post that I’m not going to bother pasting full of stuff, you should check out the forum thread. There’s plenty to be happy about if you’re a Windoze user.

• WaltC

/[

The Mojave commercials are of dubious merit (well, as much as any Apple ad, I’d say the two ad campaigns are on par in terms of “truthiness”). You show somebody something that looks prettier than XP for 5 minutes and the initial reaction is either “ooh shiny” (most likely) or “ewww, different” (the few, the proud, the XP Fanboys).

For example, my sister’s ex-husband has been counseling her to, when she upgrades her computer, find a way to get XP. Vista to him is “nothing but problems” though he admits that he’s never used it. Hello, stupid, I brought you this stuff!

• WaltC

I certainly agree that the Mojave commercials are of a dubious marketing merit if we assume their intent is to market Vista…;) But I think if we assume that the motive behind the Mojave trials was to prove a point, namely that prejudice against Vista is shallow and only skin deep, then I think Microsoft succeeded admirably. This is the kind of thing I always enjoy seeing companies do. I like to see them defend their products against ignorance and prejudice in shrewd and imaginative ways that turn those phony criticisms on themselves.

/[

You also forget, the number of trolls on the internet has exponentially exploded since 2001. Add to that the fact that people still believe that the internet is 100% truthful.

• Hance

Network discovery that actually works. I ran vista for six months on my desktop and never could make it see a shared printer or drive on any other computers in the house.

Much more responsive interface in Windows 7 versus Vista. NO its not my hardware. A 3.2ghz C2D, 2 gigs of ram, GeForce 9600GT and a 74 gig raptor is not slow.

UAC drove me to drink in the first ten minutes of using vista. Its still there in Windows 7 but I don’t want to choke the living **** out of whoever designed in with in the first ten minutes of using the OS. The number of prompts has been cut back to a sane level.

If you run all-Vista, it’s not a problem. If you run Vista/XP in tandem, network discovery is a pain.

• Hance

Yeah I was running vista on a single desktop and xp on a bunch of other machines it was a fluster cuck to say the least

and it’s retarded to expect you to upgrade machines that are perfectly happy with XP (and probably would be sluggish in Vista, especially if they’re not dual-core) just to keep them all talking to one another.

The cause is an updated LAN manager and some other security thing; Vista should be smart enough, though, to know when an XP machine can’t support the enhanced security and still be able to talk to it for certain things. Apparently MS couldn’t be bothered.

• A_Pickle

I disagree. I’m running four Vista boxen, and six XP boxes on my network. Sharing files, printers, etc… works for all of them, quite seamlessly. We even have a Mac, that can access all of it. 🙂

• Hance

Its not that it can’t be done its that it can be a real pain in the ass to do. I bought two acer aspire laptops running xp and as soon as i turned on file and printer sharing they could see everything else on the network. I ran vista for six months on my desktop and never could make printer sharing work right. File sharing I did finally get to work but it was a PITA. Windows 7 I turned on file sharing and there was all the other computers and printers on the network just like the good old days with windows xp.

• jstern

It’s been a very interesting phenomenon that kind of annoys me, not because I care about Microsoft, but because of the lack of independent thinking from people. It says a lot about people. We have all these technologies thanks to a few, but the main are just kids mentally, who accept whatever their ‘parents’ say as absolute fact. “Vista Sucks.” Then they go on the internet, “Vista Sucks, it’s horrible, I know 15 people who have it, and they all hate it.” You might meet a person who says Vista is horrible because that’s what they heard, then they advice another person not to get Vista because it sucks, and then it all becomes fact to them.

• carburngood

Sounds like the pot calling the kettle balck – you are saying there can’t be any difference between Vista and 7 having never used 7 – there could all all kinds of differences yet you, like the people you have accused have only read the reviews.

• End User

It IS Vista. The same damn thing with a few tweaks.

• Hance

Those few tweaks are the difference between being a good usable OS and something that drove me nuts.

Network discovery that actually works so I can use shared printers and storage with windows 7 and it was broken in vista.

UAC is still in windows 7 but it doesn’t feel the need to nag you ever two seconds for something stupid.

The interface is quite a bit faster.

• Umbragen

Im just looking to get /[

No, it’s not. People don’t like Vista for whatever reason but Windows 7 is being advertised by MS as a whole new OS (which it isn’t) rather than Vista Redux.

• ludi

They can call it Windows 7, Vista SP2, or Vista Reloaded for all I care. What matters is that they finally fixed what wasn’t right before, and now I feel comfortable upgrading from XP. Probably in tandem with a new machine build next fall.

• Snake

EXACTLY. I am SICK of hearing “FUD” thrown out by Vista fanbois every time complains regarding Vista show up.

It is NOT “FUD” when something simply does not work properly, nor as advertised. If Win7 is Vista, but _[

• Krogoth

Those problems are application related. They are not the fault of the OS.

They were written in a time when developers assumed that their programs “must and always” have administrative rights. Vista just started to enforce be working in a LUA environment. FYI, LUA was in place since Windows 2000. End-users suffer from permission related issues when attempting to they were trying to use their legacy, mission-critical applications.

Vista ironically was the proverbial kick in the arse for these same developers. 7 and onward now receive all of the accolades for it.

The only legitimate issue outside of the ones they were mentioned were the network performance problems. They were certainly a deal-killer for the enterprise segment. I cannot confirm whatever the “7 Beta” have fixed those problems yet……

• kenclopz

If the programs worked in Win Xp, and not in Win Vista, than what does that tell you, Krogoth? You can say it’s application’s fault and not the os all you want, but at the end of the day, Windows vista developers decided to make the changes that made the applications incompatible.

Krogoth, the ultimate Vista fanboy. Sheesh.

• Kurlon

If you code your app using a bug, when you’ve been told not to, and the bug gets squashed, breaking your app… who’s to blame, you or the person that squashed the bug? MS has been coding in app specific hand holds for years for all sorts of misbehaving or poorly written apps that don’t adhere to the APIs, with Vista (and XP SP2 to a lesser extent) they’ve finally said enough. I applaud them for it. It’s about time I run an OS without 3/4 of the code base being one off exceptsions for legacy cruft I’m not using.

In other news, I see Win 7 still supports ReadyBoost. I’m on a craptacular P4 3.0ghz box with 2gb RAM and a 512MB USB thumb drive handling ReadyBoost duties. I’ve got access to a Gigabyte I-Ram with 4GB of RAM… anyone used one of them for ReadyBoost instead of putting swap on it? : )

• Snake

double post

• Snake

One of the programs Vista breaks, MS SQL Server, is a MICROSOFT product.

Are you people really trying to justify Microsoft’s latest OS, Vista, as being OK to break a product r[

• Krogoth

It is an old version of the product in question (2005 hmmm?). It is also a server version. So why in the hell are you running it under a client/workstation OS?

It is called *[

• Kurlon

It’s a product written by a different group. No I’m not surprised they opted to do something outside the docs, it was likely a cute little speedup that someone found that cleared QA before Vista was part of the test bed.

Let me rephrase that:

If the /[

• stefan231

Dowloaded it and it wont both my wired or wireless drivers for windows 7 My laptop is a Toshiba P205d-s7802

• DukeNukem

This is all I have to say. §[<http://img.4chan.org/b/src/1231547137370.png<]§ You can't click on the link, you have to copy and paste it :(

• duncan426

I downloaded it from WIRED. Installed on Lenovo T60 Laptop. Works great. Installed Nero 9 and office 2007. everything so far has been fine. I did try installing Windows Live essentials and the add-on crashed IE8. Went to control panel-System and Security-Find and fix problems. It detected the probelm and fixed it. another thing I noticed is if you have UAC settings on Never Notify, Gadgets don’t work. If you move the slidebar up one setting Gadgets work! Crazy. So far it seems to be much friendlier than Vista. I am apparently a lucky one because I have yet to have an issue I cant solve in vista. Cheers!

Anyone running it in a VM?

Installing in with VMware Workstation 6.0

I will come back with more details.

• Krogoth

Update, it seems that “7 x64” does not like running under VMware 6.0…….

Installation keeps griping about a “Critical error” during the third reboot. It might be missing a key device or driver that is needed to work under a VM.

• Mithent

Although I don’t have a key yet, I installed the x64 version in VirtualBox – went without problems and was really very quick to install. Performance is okay for a VM (on a Q6600 at 3GHz and 2GB RAM for the VM), though I’ve not used other VMs extensively to give a good comparison. The mouse movement is a little glitchy sometimes, probably nothing to do with Windows 7 though. Of course, you don’t get Aero.

• Nereid

This is the 64-bit version.

VMWare Server 1.0.8 worked fine; VMWare Tools failed to install the display driver though.

VirtualBox worked fine too, but the guest additions failed to install.

Got it up and running on VPC07 with no problems. VMAddons even took. I’m gonna go reformat the laptop so for further testing.

• Hance

§[<http://blogs.msdn.com/stevecla01/default.aspx<]§ you should still be able to grab the beta here. your going to have to sign up and get a beta key though

• indeego

I got it from the wired link, installed it, but network is dead. Working on that now.

Took 33 minutes to install Asus P5B Del with 3 gigs and E8400.

You can install it without a keyg{<.<}g

• indeego

OK got it up and running. /me likes, and me goes into explore mode nowg{<.<}g 🙂

• indeego

Some weird quirks.

– ejecting a DVD popups a note saying that I can safely remove the /[

• BobbinThreadbare

So trying to copy a file onto a protected area of the harddrive no longer takes 4 prompts?

• UberGerbil

Make sure you actually report the bugs. It could be something peculiar to your hardware

• shaq_mobile

BUT… can you install it on SATA wihtout having to load the drivers first? It tickles me that it took Microsoft till Vista to have an actual install gui as oppose to the dos like text one… it just reeks of apathy

• Krogoth

The generic SATA and AHCI drivers work for most integrated controllers that are not operating in RAID mode. 😉

You still have to load drivers if it the HDD in question is running from an external controller.

• Jakubgt

Quick question… Can you upgrade from vista-32 bit to windows 7 64 bit? Or do I have to reformat everything.

• Kulith

well you can’t do an upgrade install of Vista x64 onto a 32 bit xp system so I’m assuming it’s the same.

You’ll have to do a clean install.

The Windows Team Blog said that you can upgrade from any version of Vista SP1 but not any XP at all. Anybody’s guess if you can cross-grade at the same time (from 32 to 64bit)

• Kulith

Your wording, whatever you where trying to say, makes no sense to me.

Either way, I’m 95% sure you can’t do an upgrade from within windows from 32 bit to 64 bit. Logically, it doesn’t even make sense. A clean install is necessary.

XP -> Vista64 upgrade works. No clean install required. I just have my doubts of whether you can go from 64->32 as an upgrade.

• cygnus1

Honestly, I understood exactly what he meant. His words were entirely lucid and coherent.

• indeego

Reformat, or just boot from the disk and wipe the vista partitiong{<.<}g Dual boot guide: §[<http://lifehacker.com/5126781/how-to-dual-boot-windows-7-with-xp-or-vista<]§

• PRIME1

Dowloading it now, should finish sometime in June.

I’m really going to stress test it, AMD64 3000+.

• Hance

It runs fine on an Acer Aspire One netbook your not stressing it at all.

Jakubgt your best bet is always a clean install even if you can perform an upgrade.

• TechNut

If you are one of the lucky ones to be running the beta today and use Chrome, here’s a tip for you.

Current builds of Chrome are broken on Win7 x64. You need to change your command line to start Chrome to be

chrome.exe –in-process-plugins

Otherwise, it will not work on Win7 x64. The 32bit version of Win7 apparently works fine.

This is a known MS bug for Chrome.

• Kulith

speaking of chrome, you can’t seem to download win7 in chrome, you have to use either ie or firefox apparently.

• tesla120

running the beta just today? i have been running it for almost a month

• Kulith

I have a dual boot with XP and Vista using the Vista boot loader. Will installing this on a partition simply add win7 to the bootoader like Vista did?

• moshpit

Yes. It will work fine. I’m dual booting with Vista and Win 7 now

• TurtlePerson2

I’m downloading it now at 600 Kb/s. I think I got it from the Technet page.

• Convert

It’s on MSDN as well, obviously, but the download speeds are all over the place.

• eitje

i thank god that i happened to log into MSDN on the 7th.

• Hance

The links aren’t dead after all they just don’t work in chrome they worked fine in ie.

• emorgoch

Using the direct links and downloading from firefox, I’ve now had the download of the 32 bit version crap out on my twice at around the 700MB mark. Will give it a little bit of time and try again when I can actually get a beta key to use.

• GodsMadClown

when I did a wget of the thing I got this:
          16:59:00 (1.21 MB/s) – Connection closed at byte 1339242349. Retrying.

At lease wget has the sense to try to resume it. Does anybody know the md5 hash for the images?

• toyota

okay I just got done downloading from there so thanks for the link.

You’ll have to wait for MS to open up the beta again – there’s a site on the original link that lets you request a key.

• Hance

I must be blind or dumb but where is the link to request a key ?

• insulin_junkie72

As of this writing, there currently isn’t one. You can grab the ISO, but have to wait for MS on the keys.

You could request through TechNet earlier in the day (if you could get through as the site was getting slammed), but has been since removed

• insulin_junkie72

MS, when they get things together and put up the official public links.

That’s been delayed.

Otherwise, you’re limited to a 30-day trial (although you can work around that) instead of an August timebomb.

• insulin_junkie72

WIRED updated their entry with direct ISO links on the MS servers (I’m downloading now and it’s zipping along nicely), but of course, you still want a key from MS.

They are 404 now too

• indeego

Awesome. Maxxing out my connection at work. eta 25 minutesg{<. :)<}g

• moshpit

It’s now offline, they pulled the beta, the link now says “Windows 7 beta coming soon”. Freaking MS admin tards.

All I want is the legit key, I don’t need to waste my time trying to download from MS.

• stefan231

Page has been updated now no links to Downlaod and says “Windows Beta 7 Coming soon”

• MadManOriginal

If I had a spare harddrive or felt like going through the hassle of resiszing partitions I’d try it out. Good luck to those of you that do try it and here’s hoping they roll the Win7 under the hood updates in to a Vista SP. I think we Vista licensees deserve that for being unhip according to all the FUD.

• indeego

I’m taking my Vista 32 off and putting 7 64-bit beta on and never looking back. 🙂

As far as I’m concerned, Vista has never existed after todayg{<.<}g

• SpikeMeister

Wow, what happens when you try to download keeps changing, it’s really wierd.

flipped to the “off” position…now when I try (OK, i’m still trying) I get “Windows 7 beta coming soon!” on technet.

• Kurlon

The registration pages you get sent to from the original Technet page are now 404ing.

I am getting a 404 now instead of the server is to busy

At 12:30pm PST, official Windows 7 page still says

l[

• Krogoth

ROFL, it looks like MS is getting excited that so many customers have potential interest. 😉

I’m not a potential customer; I just don’t own a Windows license and this will give me a few months to play Supreme Commander again without paying for one.

• Usacomp2k3

So just a moocher?

better than a pirate. 😉

Not saying they can’t convince me it’s a good OS. I don’t mind Vista as much as the XP Faboys do. I just sold the computer Vista was tied to so now I’m on my own.

• emorgoch

1524 EST (Which, should be 1224 PST), and I’m still not seeing any links on the Windows 7 page. And still getting a server too busy error from the technet page.

• Krogoth

Heh, it is not surprising that MS servers could not handle the load.

I wonder when somebody will start to torrent these builds.

• SomeOtherGeek

Probably faster that MS can start letting people download…

• Kurlon

It’s not the download servers that are croaking, it’s the registration servers handing out keys.

• Krogoth

No, it is from every IT geek. They are trying to give it a whirl before hitting the weekend. 😉

This is not new either. I remember the same thing happening with the “official” Vista betas and SP1.

• FroBozz_Inc

We are having some network problems at my work right now, I’m thinking it’s related to demand for this…

• Usacomp2k3

They haven’t opened it up yet.

• DrDillyBar

I wonder why MS isn’t Torrenting it themselves.

• Forge

• insulin_junkie72

Wired/MS have mean noon-ISH PST, as the switch hasn’t been flipped on the main page yet (no download link yet) 😛

• TechNut

This post is from a Win 7 system.

I took the leap last night (from MS TechNet) and upgraded my main system from Vista 64 to Win 7 64. I did not do a clean install, but chose the upgrade option.

I’m pleased to say that the upgrade worked fairly well. There where a couple quirks with iTunes needing to be reinstalled, but, otherwise than that it has worked not too badly. Even RivaTuner works too! (It tames a nasty loud GPU fan I have on this old card — I have a old 6600GT in here.)

Unlike other Windows upgrades, this one actually worked. It proved to me that Win 7 is more of a service pack than a full blown release.

So far all of the applications I use work okay, and nothing out of the ordinary to report. However.. you might get Vista 64 drivers not wanting to install as MS certified even if they are. I got around this by using,

bcdedit /set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

(However, this reduces your security to malware drivers.. so caveat emptor applies)

The performance is not bad. It uses about 256MB less RAM on this system when all of the applications I use are up and running.

I can’t say I am a fan of the new and “improved” taskbar. Otherwise, the eye candy is a nice improvement.

Overall, this is what Vista probably should have been. Leaves me with same feeling when I went from Windows 2000 to XP. 2000 laid the foundation, and XP cleaned it up.

• lethal

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand its down. They removed all the pages related to the download and its no longer available at Windows Client TechCenter.

Looks like i’ll have to wait till noon :S.

• Forge

It’s the same build 7000 as the torrents have, but a torrent gets you 30 days to register, while the MS beta will activate and run fine till the timebomb kicks in on Aug 1.

• FroBozz_Inc

Waaaaa server busy.

I take it you have to register and get your key before you can download?
      Otherwise I guess you could get it from BT if it’s the same.

• FroBozz_Inc

Standing by, refreshing the page 🙂

5 minutes!

• indeego

§[<http://blog.wired.com/business/2009/01/windows-7-publi.html<]§ Wired says noon PST, firm, and not a minute beforeg{<.<}g

• Usacomp2k3

Good to know. They could be a little more informative on their site to state such.

• jwb

Looks like they already handed out the 2.5m copies, because the download page now redirects to the usual Windows client home page.

• oli_ramsay

Does anyone know if this is build 7000 or a later revision?

• ChronoReverse

It’s still build 7000 so be sure to download the update for WMP

• indeego

There is a bug with corrupted mp3 files using media player. Make sure you get that patch (you’ll get it through WU automatically anyway likelyg{<:<}g) §[<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0c56bf3c-9370-4fda-b4c8-5dc63d55626d&DisplayLang=en<]§ and §[<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a754008b-d574-4e39-b4ba-67b859a242b7&DisplayLang=en<]§

• kvndoom

Crap, I won’t be home for 3 more hours… I bet I won’t even get a chance to try it out.

• SomeOtherGeek

Same here… Maybe I can get my wife to download it for me?? Umm… Get flowers or just hug her thank you?

• indeego

The site is currently experiencing technical difficulties, please check back in the next business dayg{<.<}g last hour... I've been trying. Man I wish they'd confirm the MD5 hash so we can just get the torrents. Does anyone know if they are the sameg{

• Usacomp2k3

Yeah, down here too. We’re going camping this weekend, so the chances of it still being there when I get back are probably fairly small. If it would at least let me get the key, I can dl it later.

• nstuff

the registration site is bogged down. “server is too busy”. I can’t get registered to even start downloading.

• Usacomp2k3

Can’t get it to load for me so far. I just get a windows live search ‘no file found’ when I get to the last part in the download process.

• TurtlePerson2

Does anyone happen to know what driver support is like (especially from nVidia) on this beta. I was hoping to use my 7600 GT and use this as a spare computer at LAN parties and an auxiliary folder.

• adisor19

Umm, i was under the impression that the same driver model that was used in Vista is valid in Windows 7, so as far as i’m concerned the Vista drivers should work just fine in Win7. Am i right ?

Adi

• ChronoReverse

You are correct

• UberGerbil

Yes, in fact Win 7 testing has been a part of the Windows Logo requirements for drivers since last summer. Logo’d drivers released in the last few months should work fine. Earlier Vista drivers should work too, but there could be one or two out there that did something stupid and refuse to install or have some other problem.

• ssidbroadcast

Que footage of Bill Gates shaking his butt.

• l33t-g4m3r

que footage of ballmer monkey dance.

• ludi

You pick a chair up here
          You toss a char out there
          You dodge a newly thrown chair
          and you shake your derrierre!

You do the hokey pokey and you…