Chrome to hit Mac OS, Linux before the summer

Chrome may have reached 1.0 status a little quickly, but Google is far from done with the web browser’s development. CNet News has had a little chat with Chrome Product Manager Brian Rakowski, who says he hopes to have Mac and Linux versions of Chrome wrapped up and ready to go "before the first half of 2009 is up."

According to Rakowski, both ports are being developed in parallel and are "at the same level of progress." Speaking of the current status of the Mac version, Rakowski said, "That team now is able to render most Web pages pretty well. But in terms of the user experience, it’s very basic . . . We have not spent any time building out features. We’re still iterating on making it stable and getting the architecture right."

Google is also working to build in support for third-party extensions. A new development version of Chrome released last week already has experimental support for Greasemonkey-like user scripts, something Rakowski calls a "baby step." There’s more where that came from: Google will eventually "expose more capabilities, then expose containers where can you have your own toolbar-like thing. You’ll see it evolve over time."

• End User

I like Chrome. I like FF3 even more.

• PenGun

Can I block ads? I’m not used to them. They kinda scare me on other people’s machines.

• Flying Fox

Even on TR? Thanks for the support… not.

• PenGun

I been out here since everything was free. I feel no need at all to support anything that has moved in and set up shop since.. Why would I?

• tesla120

comeon you cant honestly say you buy things based on ads you see on TR….

you buy from the store with the lowest price and buy based on performance like the rest of us

• crabjokeman

If there’s one thing we don’t have enough of in Linux, it’s Webkit/KHTML-based browsers….

• odizzido

I just tried chrome again after reading it got to 1.0, but unfortunately the sites that didn’t work before still don’t work.

• StashTheVampede

Wonder if they’ll continue to use their own widgets to draw an object vs. the OS method to draw. I’d LOVE a version of Chrome, that compiled under X, so I could surf with it while at work.

• crazybus

Autoscroll please.

kthxbye

• Forge

I like Chrome, but I like FF even more. I like having a traditional home page by default, I like having tabs act in the customary manner, and I like having the buttons and such exactly where they default in FF.

I NEED FF because Foxmarks has no Chrome client. I’ve become totally dependent on having my bookmarks/quick bar have the same contents everywhere I go; the new password sync in Foxmarks has made it even more irreplaceable.

• BobbinThreadbare

Wow the comments are pretty pro-chrome so far. Personally, I like Firefox a lot more. I’m using 3.1 beta 2, and with the new javascript engine, it’s awesome. Firefox’s tab system is much more intuitive to me. I like new tabs always going to the same place. I also prefer a the more traditional interface.

• Mourmain

Ooh, a lot of bad feelings against Firefox among TR readers I see… I thought people were pretty happy with it — I am pretty content with it myself.

Browsers tend to be in a perpetual state of tolerance. You put up with the browser to read sites. Everyone hopes the newest, shiniest browser will be actively good.

• ssidbroadcast

This is true. Nothing is wrong with FF3 on OS X except the skins.

• Swampangel

Except the address bar. 🙁

• srg86

Well Untill chrome gets most if not all of the functionality of NoScript and also can block third party cookies (while keeping first party ones) like all other browsers can, I definitely don’t be switching. It may do for a second brower though, if it’s printing support is better than FF’s.

I’m looking forward to the new faster firefox.

• indeego

I had a number of strange quirks with chrome and told myself I’d give it a shot in another year, just like Operag{<.<}g

• divided421

If the firebug crew could get that GEM working on chrome, aka chromeBug, I would switch permanently.
    Otherwise, I install chrome on everyone’s computer I know, because the performance is just absurd, even on garbage hardware.

• CasbahBoy

When Chrome moves to Linux, Firefox will be removed. I will press my Enter key on that emerge -C command /[

• DrDillyBar

I recenlty removed Chrome. I grew tired of my downloads stopping just because I closed the browser. FF3 barely outrankes IE on my system.

• IntelMole

All we need now is to integrate the best bits into firefox (like, memory management that doesn’t SUCK), and huzzah, perfect browser.

• ssidbroadcast