Steve Jobs to take medical leave until late June

So much for that “hormone imbalance” Steve Jobs said he could treat in a “straightforward” way while carrying out his duties as Apple’s CEO. According to the Associated Press, Jobs has sent out an e-mail to his staff saying his condition is more serious than he thought, and that he’ll be taking a break until the summer.

Times Online has posted the contents of the message, which includes the following:

I am sure all of you saw my letter last week sharing something very personal with the Apple community. Unfortunately, the curiosity over my personal health continues to be a distraction not only for me and my family, but everyone else at Apple as well. In addition, during the past week I have learned that my health-related issues are more complex than I originally thought.
In order to take myself out of the limelight and focus on my health, and to allow everyone at Apple to focus on delivering extraordinary products, I have decided to take a medical leave of absence until the end of June.

I have asked Tim Cook to be responsible for Apple’s day to day operations, and I know he and the rest of the executive management team will do a great job. As CEO, I plan to remain involved in major strategic decisions while I am out. Our board of directors fully supports this plan.

Analysts and journalists have often named Tim Cook as the likeliest candidate to replace Jobs in the event of his departure, and it looks like he’ll be partially filling that role over the next few months. Jobs does seem to plan on coming back, though—he closes the e-mail with, “I look forward to seeing all of you this summer.”

• Krogoth
    • d0g_p00p

Maybe with Steve Jobs gone for a little bit, Apple might decide to create a mouse with more than one button. Not that it’s really needed since OS X is designed to be used by people who can barely use a computer in the first place.

• ssidbroadcast

My chief concern and lesson I’ve learned from watching Steve Jobs is that if you’re a successful CEO, _[

• Ricardo Dawkins

drama queen

retard.

Well, it’s probably for the best. I do not expect to see him return in June; I expect somebody (Cook? Schiller?) to be installed as the next CEO.

And generic OS X PC licensing in time for back-to-school.

• lycium

my thoughts exactly, this is a “soft” resignation designed to try keep their stocks afloat.

• tfp

Yep he is better off taking some time to fully recover and then figure out what he wants to do.

• blastdoor

I think it’s 50/50 as to whether he’ll be back as CEO by the end of 2009.

But there is NO WAY that apple will license OSX. That will never happen.

However, if Jobs doesn’t come back, then I think we will finally see apple sell a mainstream desktop Mac (the xMac). They could easily boost sales by at least 500k per quarter if they did that.

• moog

Can OS X handle the relative anarchy in a box that is a PC? I have my doubts (it’s not easy developing a stable platform for multiple hardware configurations). With Win7 coming hot, they have a limited window of opportunity.

Doesn’t matter. If it’s licensed I expect system requirements that include Intel chipsets, Core 2-family CPUs, and SATA hard drives/optical drives.

Or better (worse?) yet, an Apple-blessed motherboard with LAN and audio that only work with EFI video cards.

Hackintosh users will recognize it as the easiest pile of hardware to get working with OS X.

• Code:[M]ayhem

Stick a fork in it they’re done

• SomeOtherGeek

I’m not even going to read this and the comments. Enough about Steve Jobs! The world does not rotate around him.

• Shodan

The MacWorld does! *Double zing*

• Kulith

In THAT case, the mac world WILL collapse.

*triple zing*

• Scrotos

Tim Cook apparently also ran Apple for a few months in 2004 when Jobs was de-cancering, so it isn’t the first time Cook’s been at the helm.

• Hattig

Brilliant time to pick up Apple stocks, if they’re falling massively.

Apple is more than Jobs, but people can’t see that. Yes, he turned the company around in the late 90s, but the current management team is what makes it successful, and they’re all trained in the Jobsian way of things now. As long as they don’t start looking for CEOs from Pepsi again, they’ll be fine.

Indeed this could be good for Apple, show the company doing well without Jobs for a bit.

• indeego

Or a bad time. The economy is doing so badly, we are in such unprecedented times, there’s no guarantee it will get better quicklyg{<.<}g

• UberGerbil

Apple was one of the few companies to have a decent 4th quarter: they were the only major computer OEM to show significant growth in the quarter (+8.3%, vs +3.1% for HP and -6.3% for Dell) and their iPod business (especially the Touch) was one of the few bright spots over the holidays. In fact the Touch (and to a lesser extent the iPhone) appears to be purchased as a cheap substitute for notebooks (and netbooks) for the “just browsing and email” crowd. And there’s still plenty of opportunity for the iPhone.

AAPL is down -6.11 (-7.16%) in after-hours trading on this news; that’s almost certainly an over-reaction. Sitting below $80, it’s probably a buy unless you think we’re headed into an actual worldwide depression. (Or you think Apple will just fall apart without Jobs). In the short term it’s probably a buy, anyway, even if he never returns: the products in the pipeline already have his imprimatur, and he’s set the ethos within the company. The problem is maintaining that longer term, as his memory fades and people get promoted and products get developed without the benevolent dictator setting the tone.

• Unckmania

Dang, it’s impressive how fast the stocks fall. I really wonder if things would change badly for Apple without Jobs… because investors sure as hell feel that way.

• MarioJP

#1 that is not cool whats been said. that is disrespectful

• Shodan

Welcome to the internet, enjoy your stay!

So much for Apple. So no cut and paste on the iphone ever?

• indeego

Hope it’s not EMI from the iPhone, else I may half my familyg{

• khands

I was joking, I’m sure he’ll be fine, and wish him no ill will.

People need to relax, it’s the internet, people say stuff, and I think this whole thing is blown WAAAAY out of proportion. It wasn’t a matter of if that was going to be said, it’s a matter of when it was going to be said. And as I mentioned in the beginning of the post, I was joking.

People need to not say anything on the internet you wouldn’t say to someone’s face. And even then some folks still need an additional filter because plenty folks say tons of stupid stuff. If you’re not part of the cure, you’re part of the cause!

• khands

I think if I worked for Apple myself, I still would’ve posted that.

They say ignorance is bliss. Your existence proves how far it can go. (and I’d say it to your face, too, kiddo)

• MadManOriginal

Congrats! You have officially won a TR comments versus Krogoth. The official rules as previously laid out are pretty simple, once Krogoth resorts to a meme or meme-like ‘cool internet’ picture as a reply, you win!

• Krogoth

[head scratches]

Somebody sure likes to keep track of the epenis Olympics. >_>

Without further ado,

§[<http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Krogoth255/nobody-cares.jpg<]§

MadManOriginal wins too! Congrats!

*flex* I don’t really take any solace in this victory. Basically it’s like talking to ALICE, only instead of asking the same question over and over, it reverts to linking a meme.

• adisor19

Hmm, looks like Gizmodo was right after all.. (almost)

Adi

• TravelMug

Noone in their right mind believed for a second the BS Apple was putting out. If you work(ed) in a corporate environment and have experience with the way things are handled you didn’t believe it either.

• alsoRun

Although I wish him well, my gut feeling is that his health may be in pretty bad shape. You do not lose that much weight for un-essential problems.

• shaq_mobile

maybe hes bolemic, wants to look good for the camera and mac expo…
      ballmer could learn a lesson here.

• MadManOriginal

Ballmer doesn’t need eating disorders to stay fit, he just visits the special Ballmergym at MS headquarters which contains custom-made chair throwing exercise machines.

• adisor19

LMAO

Adi

• khands

That’s it, Steve Jobs is dead.

• Meadows

Throw the confetti.

• willyolio

make sure it’s only white or metallic grey though.

geez, ass. I hope you or a member of your family get cancer and waste away so I can do the same thing.

• Saribro

pre-emptive confetti for all cancervictims! huzah!

• moog

Sad for the industry if this becomes true.