Google takes Gmail off the cloud

The line between cloud-based and desktop applications seems to keep blurring. This time, Google has introduced an experimental feature that allows Gmail to work offline—search and all. Best of all, the feature synchronizes changes you made while offline when you get back on the Internet.

Offline Gmail relies on the Gears browser extension, which only works in Firefox and Internet Explorer for Windows, for the time being. Essentially, the tool downloads a “local cache” of your e-mail, which it keeps updated whenever you’re online:

Since this is an experimental feature still, you’ll find it in the Google Labs tab of Gmail’s settings page. Once you enable offline Gmail, you’ll be able to go online and offline by clicking an icon in the upper right corner next to your user name.

• muyuubyou

Two words: outlook mailboxes.

Or thunderbird mailboxes for that matter.

• indeego

Oh and I highly recommend any company above 10 not use google hosted apps or any hosted apps platform. We’re in baby area in terms of cloud apps. You are going to see downtime and data loss from the big players. Why here’s an articleg{<....<}g §[<http://www.thestandard.com/news/2009/01/28/google-apps-customers-say-domains-arent-being-renewed<]§

• indeego

Encrypting your local drive does nothing about encrypting the data in memory, or during transport, or keystroke capture, software capture, dns redirect or other ways of capturing data.

If you encrypt your data, typically a court order is all it takes to unencrypt it, which an attorney will need to weigh whether or not to comply. In some countries like U.K., failing to comply with providing password is a criminal offense.

I am not a lawyer. I have worked with forensic companies before, and they have mentioned that encryption has rarely been an issue in the states because during discovery the passwords were revealed.

I have no evidence, but I’m paranoid enough to think that if the NSA can tap all our phones and e-mail, that they probably have the technology to break most public encryption models out there anywayg{<.<}g

• reynolm

Encrypt your hard drive and you’ve eliminated the issue, no?
    Given the state of seizure laws these days, it’s probably a good policy to encrypt everything anyway.

• gtoulouzas

I can’t find it either! Where is it?

• malicious

With POP access already available for Gmail, I sure don’t see much point in this so please enlighten the rest of us.

• d2brothe

Despite your sarcasm, I do hope you see the use of this feature…

• miken

E-mail on my local hard drive? What will they think of next? Wait, this reminds me of some software I heard about a long time ago… what did they call it… oh yeah, every e-mail client app ever written.

• Xenolith

Yep, thanks. Keep getting that mixed up.

• ludi

Thinkyameant “liability”. Libel is a different class of offense 😉

• Xenolith

It is in beta because then they don’t have to guarantee up time and other potential libelous issues. Gmail will be in beta for the foreseeable future.

• eitje

I don’t use gmail. 😛
    and I always worry about security!

• eitje

don’t worry, dude. I saw it, too.

• Draxo

So you are using gmail beta, to store your msgs on gmail, and you worry about security?

that is funny

• gtoulouzas

Neither do I.

way to make me look like a dummy correcting you where you’re already right! :p

• Kulith

yea I was going to say… why wouldn’t it work on googles own browser.

• cygnus1

i would love to try, i double checked to make sure gears was installed and it is, but i don’t see the offline option on the labs page in my gmail.

• Usacomp2k3

I was wondering about that too.

• FireGryphon

The potential security issues with this are interesting. It’s not available to me yet (US) so I can’t check it out.

• d2brothe

No encryption of any real kind is used, I don’t believe. The problem with encrypting something on your local drive is you must enter a password. The local machine can’t remember the password in any form or its pointless, and I don’t believe gears remembers your password.

The reason is simply this, if your machine is storing the data, then someone must have physical access to your machine. But if your machine also stores the password (and decryption key) for that data, the encryption does nothing. The only exception to this, I believe, is the TPM chips which can somehow securely store a password, that is not accessible without a bootup password. (Of course, you still need a password, but its a secure way to store the decryption key). Of course, if they manage to get your machine while its turned on, all bets are off anyways.

• eitje

looks like someone got Gears working for Safari a while back, too:
    §[<http://gearsblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/gears-for-safari.html<]§

I think your comma is wrong. Shouldn’t it be after Windows?

which only works in Firefox and Internet Explorer for Windows for, the time being.

• eitje

I wonder what kind of encryption policy Gears uses on that local cache.

Can someone with Gmail enable this and check their local cache:
    §[<http://gears.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=79850&topic=13192<]§ I would really appreciate it if maybe even you could look into this, Cyril?

• JdL

Cyril: It should work in Chrome too. Chrome has Gears built in.

• pikaporeon

maybe one day it will be out of beta.

Share this post with your friends!