Seagate announces 2TB enterprise hard drive

Unlike Western Digital, Seagate has decided to target the enterprise market with its first 2TB hard drive. The 2TB Seagate Constellation ES won’t ship until the third quarter, but it’s launching together with several other drives under the same new brand.

Seagate plans to ship Constellation ES variants with 500GB and 1TB capacities in Q3, as well. Like the 2TB flavor, these models will have 3.5" form factors, 7,200-RPM spindle speeds, and a choice of 300MB/s Serial ATA or 600MB/s serial-attached SCSI (SAS) interfaces. Seagate is also cooking up 2.5" Constellation hard drives, which will ship later this quarter with 160GB and 500GB capacities and SATA or SAS connectivity.

The firm makes a jab at Western Digital in its press release by saying, "With Constellation ES hard drives, customers don’t have to sacrifice performance in order to gain the highest capacities"—likely a reference to the 2TB Caviar Green’s slower spindle speed. Seagate isn’t necessarily aiming for high power consumption, though. All Constellation drives have a "PowerChoice" feature that purportedly brings "the highest power-reduction savings ever offered in an enterprise-class HDD, and . . . flexible, user-manageable options to deliver power savings without sacrificing performance, data integrity, or reliability."

• Vaughn

lol bob and 5150!

• MadManOriginal

I noticed this before but figured I’ll post it now…anyone else take notice of the new name ‘Constellation’? Granted it’s only for the ES enterprise line atm but I will be curious to see if they rename the consumer line as well. Is it possible Barracuda as a name has taken that much of a hit? Not that most joe’s know who makes their HD but then they don’t buy them bare either.

To establish prior art for this joke – ‘I know why it’s named Constellation, I was so mad when my drive died I saw stars .’

• Meadows

DeathStar anyone?

• indeego

Seagate has taken a hit, not the brand name of their drives. The company’s method of handing the issue is what was screwed upg{<.<}g

• kfc

Hum WD 2TB or Seagate Craptastic Corruption Ridden POS… Tough choice here guys.

Within the past 3 months I have replaced 2.7TB worth of Seagate drives with 2.3TB worth of WD. WD resides in my computer, Seagates new home is a empty shoe box.

So far so good!

• JdL

The most recent batch of bad Seagates to my knowledge is from the Maxtor acquisition, if I’m not mistaken. The 7200.11 series I believe is almost completely Maxtor based on some of their support docs I read.

• PetMiceRnice

Yeah it seems to me that all of this trouble with Seagate followed their acquisition of Maxtor. I’m sorry to see this happening, but hard drives are getting too big now to take chances on. Although it goes without saying that backing up what you can with any make of hard drive is a good idea.

• ClickClick5

Scenarios of this drive:

1) *click-click-click-click-death*
    2) Reading……reading……reading…..turns off
    3) You open box, install. DOA
    4) You install, “Oh my, I only get 646.8 GB free? WTF?!”
    5) “My RAID wont work?”

• Sargent Duck

You forgot
      6) Update firmware…”MY DRIVE’S BRICKED!!!!!”

• continuum

Oh relax… I have a ridiculous amount of Seagate drives here and they’re all fine.

Of course we’re all rev-control’ed here for firmware update and drive models, most of my products are enterprise-targeted anyway, etc.

Now as far as performance sucking… well yeah. =P

• Vaughn

Here we go again…..

• Farting Bob

On my own, Going down the only road I’ve ever known…

• Mourmain

Well what do you expect with a name like that?

• 5150

Like a drifter I was born to walk alone.

• Squuiid

Wouldn’t touch Seagate with a bargepole these days…

• Coruscant

The MBR is limited to a maximum partition size of 2TB, and while the GPT removes that limitation it isn’t implemented in BIOS but rather in EFI. I’m sure a hack is forthcoming once single drives exceed 2TB, a la the previous limit.

• ssidbroadcast

q[

• ssidbroadcast

No one thinks that statement is strangely redundant?

• MadManOriginal

I just think it’s redundant redundant, which is also redundant.

• Meadows

Have patience, right now it’s the middle of the night in France. You’ll have to wait a few hours for anyone to notice or give a sheet*.

• FireGryphon

This is a way of subtly indicating that the drive ships with built-in redundancy.

• KarateBob

This makes me hopeful that the 1.5 and 2TB, 500gig platter 7200.12’s are going to hit shelves and review sites soon.

• grantmeaname

the drives won’t ship until third quarter, so I wouldn’t bet on it.

• Naito

No performance sacrifice, means you get to load and lose your data that much faster!

Haven’t had a Seagate drive that didn’t come with loads of ECC errors upon SMART data inspection in the last 3 years, and given their recent track record, will probably stay away from them for the next while.

Besides, I really love the GP idea from WD. Who really needs that much speed in a large single drive? Large drives, I want my $/GB as low as possible, and leave the speedy drives for smaller SSDs. Enterprises will be making large arrays from smaller drives, nobody makes arrays from giant drives like this…..at least not if they want them to be reliable!

• rhysl

I’d have reliability over performance if I had to choose , so Seagate would be my 2nd choice.. thanks to the firmware debarcle recently !..

• Scrotos

Yeaaahhh… I think it’s maybe a little too early for Seagate to be making digs at any other HDD manufacturer. Maybe give it another quarter or two, but right now? Way too easy for people to come up with that response.

• ew

• BRiT

I’m with you. No way would I touch Seagate drives now, not when WD drives are working great.

• boing

I couldn’t agree more. Due to CRC-errors my Barracuda is ten times slower than my Caviar Green anyway.

• boing

Sorry, I meant hardware ECC-errors.

• Meadows

And here we’ve reached the limits of MBR.

• UberGerbil

Good thing that MS introduced GPT back in 2005, then.

• Meadows

True story, but I’ll have to read up on things before I make a switch to anything else, because while I jump at the first occasion to try a new OS, I really have this unorthodox fondness for certain “just works” type things, MBR volumes included. Years ago I simply kept my careful distance because disk setup tips actively discouraged its use for usual scenarios.

I had issues when switching from IDE to AHCI too, I’m not intent on troubleshooting again, so I hope this will be transparent.

• moshpit

Know any good desktop OS’s that will boot from a GPT volume?

• Meadows

You still have a TRILLION options for a smaller OS drive, and it can’t be hard to set up mammoth drives next to them subsequently with any setting.

• UberGerbil

Windows XP Pro-x64.

But I consider 2K3 and 2K8 to be good desktop OSes, when tuned appropriately. (Other than the price, of course, but that’s what MSDN Universal is for).

But Vista in its current state is fine too.

And of course Win7 when it arrives.

But here’s the thing: you don’t need to switch away from the MBR until your volume is /[

• MadManOriginal

Is the MBR limit for 2TiB or 2TB?

• UberGerbil

Yeah, that crossed my mind as I was writing. It’s 2TiB. Windows always uses/reports values in powers of 2 while labeling them with the powers of 10 prefixes, AFAIK, which is part of the reason you had so many people installing new drives and then complaining they weren’t “getting” all the storage they’d paid for.