MSI announces Wind NetOn AP1900 all-in-one nettop

After previewing the Wind NetOn AP1900 at CES in January, MSI has formally announced the all-in-one nettop. The system has the same basic look as Apple’s iMacs, but it includes an Atom N270 processor, and MSI claims it’s just 1.38" deep—almost like a folded netbook tablet on a stand.

The AP1900’s display isn’t anywhere close to netbook territory, of course: it has an 18.5" panel with a 16:9 aspect ratio, "WSXGA" resolution, 5ms response time, and 1000:1 contrast ratio. MSI also outfits the machine with 2GB of RAM, a 160GB mechanical hard drive, both 802.11g Wi-Fi and Gigabit Ethernet, and a DVD "super-multi drive"—a crucial ingredient for movie-watching on the wide display.

Surprisingly, and despite the (relatively) large screen, MSI quotes power consumption of only 35W when the system is "fully operating." Presumably because of that, the AP1900 shouldn’t deafen you with cooling fans, either: MSI asserts that noise levels "will never exceed 26 decibels."

• dustyjamessutton

Not my cup of tea. It probably won’t play world of warcraft, and definitely not Oblivion. My dad would love it for surfing the internet and QuickBooks. 🙂 I don’t know. Maybe get it for my kids for their homework.

• ludi

“What’s that, junior? You say it doesn’t run Crysis? That’s too bad…how’s your homework coming?”

• SonicSilicon

Another “all fail when one fails” system. I seriously don’t like this for desktops.
    MSI should just work on their Windbox to make it more flexible instead of starting this.

• Usacomp2k3

But for $500, that’s close to the point of disposable after the warrant period.

• Hance

It looks like it would make a perfect kids computer to me. If it was a touchscreen I would probably buy one just to play with.

• eitje

also a good grandparent computer, i’d imagine.

• Hance

Yes it is be good for quite a few different things

• JustAnEngineer

Meh. It’s another underpowered network appliance masquerading as a PC. Will it play back 1080p H.264 video?

• d2brothe

Given that its got the standard Atom platform which we KNOW cannot output HD very reliably…obviously it will not…additionally it doesn’t have a 1080p screen…probably only 720p so…it would be pointless to do so anyways.

That being said…it has plenty of other uses, much more suited to a computer designed to sit on a desk.

• kamikaziechameleon

what price, does it have touch screen functionality?

• d2brothe

Nothing has been announced that I’ve heard of, but I think Ars mentioned 500 was the list price for something that this appears to have subsumed.

/[

• Cyril

Hm. MSI says “WSXGA,” which I translated to 1440×900, but you’re right–that’s probably wrong given the aspect ratio. I’ve edited the post.

• dragmor

Other sites are saying 1366×768 for the screen i.e. common small TV resolution.

• Meadows

That’s /[

• willyolio

neat, but kinda ugly. these are cheap enough for an extra computer in random places around the house (kitchen, living room)… but can’t they make it look a bit nicer?

• Farting Bob

Design is subjective. I think it looks very nice.

I must say though that this thing really needs a dual core atom. Things seem a bit sluggish on a small netbook, but when your using a normal sized screen like this, most people are going to want to do more taxing things and the CPU will inevitably be the weak link.

• Neutronbeam

Oh yeah! This baby is headed right for the kitchen counter!

• Neutronbeam

Oh yeah. Forget a netbook; this baby is headed right for the kitchen counter.

• bdwilcox

• tay

You know what $1200 gets you on an imac right? Sure its not $500 but its hardly the same machine. Hell I just bought a used imac with a C2D for 750.

• ludi

An Apple logo?

o[

2.4GHz Core2, Radeon 2400 XT, 1680×1050 20″ display, a bigger hard drive, OS X…the two shouldn’t even be compared.

• cygnus1

the problem is that all of that hardware can be had for much less than what apple charges.

the apple tax get’s you a “nicer/prettier” exterior and a proprietary, barely also ran (albeit also prettier) OS

Spoken out of ignorance, no doubt.

• Meadows

There’s truth in it – I’d like you to refute the claim that you can buy Apple-equivalents for less money, sometimes less than half of what Jobs charges to keep his hot tub bubbling.

• eitje

Who wants a Radeon 2400XT, anyway?

• phileasfogg

where did you see that it has an ATI 2400XT GPU? I didn’t see that – the MSI website link only shows the integrated Intel GMA950 (that’s the gfx core in the 945GSE chipset). I do not see any descriptions for discrete graphics.
            By the way, even if they did attach an ATI 2400XT GPU to this platform, they would have to do it thru the Southbridge (ICH7?)’s x1 PCIe lane because the Intel 945GSE for Atom does not support an external x16 PCIe port.

• Pagey

The older I get, the less my computing requirements seem to be. Something like this definitely gets my attention.

I could also see replacing our aging P3 Optiplex stations at work. The tellers are only running a couple of turnkey based programs. The real work is done by the servers on the back end.

• cygnus1

Get me this form factor with the nVidia Ion platform, the dual core atom and Vista or Win7 and this thing would be amazing.

• trinibwoy

Yep, I was thinking the same thing. I have a friend who this would be great for but throwing in Ion’s video processing capabilities would make it perfect.

• cygnus1

Yup, I was thinking of my brother and sister-in-law. They always mis-treat the tower of their pc by tucking it away and not having proper ventilation. And they’re kind of cheap.

• Bombadil

If we are being wishful… pass on the Atoms… put an Ion and a Pentium Dual Core E5200 in it. Though I am sitting at a 24″ Core 2 Duo E8235 iMac, so I don’t really need to wish.

This would be nice for students–it would keep them from playing most games or editing videos or other such distractions. Of course it still has that ethernet port and WiFi–MSI should really offer a version without those.

• d2brothe

Why?

Because the internet is never useful for actual work?

• Bombadil

Sorry, I forgot to put sarcasm tags on that post.

• BobbinThreadbare

What would be the point of a computer with no networking capabilities in the modern world?

• just brew it!

Neither of the students in my family (one college, one high school) would be able to use a system that doesn’t have network connectivity for their schoolwork. Some of the course materials are online, some of the assignments are turned in online, and some of the assignments would be much more difficult and/or time consuming without direct access to online materials.

Yes, removing the network ports would eliminate a big source of distractions. But it would also guarantee that this system would be a dismal failure in the market, since /[

• Ashbringer

Why Vista or Win7? All the cool kids are installing Hackintosh.

• wkstar
    • khands

So… input?

• ssidbroadcast

Johnny-5?

• SonicSilicon

Telnet in through the Gigabit ethernet?

• khands

Sorry, my posts have been reaking of fail today :p