Lian Li introduces a Mini-ITX case

If you’re building a Mini-ITX system, chances are cost-cutting sits pretty high on your list of priorities. However, Lian Li has announced a new case for folks who think small-form-factor systems deserve some love, too—in the form of relatively expensive aluminum enclosures with a surprising number of enthusiast-friendly features.

Lian Li’s PC-Q7 has a $69 price tag without a power supply, and at 7.6″ x 11″ x 8.2″ (193 x 280 x 208 mm), it’s not really all that compact. However, the PC-Q7 is surprisingly well-endowed for a small-form-factor offering. This puppy can accommodate full-sized ATX power supplies, and it places the Mini-ITX motherboard on the left side panel to make installation easier.

The PC-Q7 also features “easy installation kits” for one 5.25″ optical drive and one 3.5″ hard drive (the latter of which includes anti-vibration grommets). If you’d rather keep power draw and noise levels down by using a 2.5″ hard drive or solid-state drive, the PC-Q7 also lets you mount that type of drive below the motherboard. And speaking of noise levels, Lian Li has designed the enclosure with a big vent in the right panel, so it has no active cooling of its own.

Lian Li points out that you can save money by going with a full-sized power supply, optical drive, and hard drive over smaller alternatives, so the PC-Q7 may not add that much to the cost of a tiny Atom rig overall. Still, this case does cost about the same as Intel’s single-core Atom mobo.

• Bensam123

Why do mini-itx cases have so much wasted space for their form factor?

No one seems to get the minimalist approach of the mini-factor. It’s supposed to be different from micro-atx! >:O

• Usacomp2k3

Reminds me of the G4 cube 😉
    That was 8x8x8, this is 8x8x11. Not too far off.

• FranzVonPapen

It looks like it can accommodate only a single-slot videocard – worthless!

• TheBob!

Hardly worthless. I remember a time when gpus got bad reviews for being dual slot coolers. A 9600gt is single slot and everything you need for a good HTPC which this case would be great for.

• UberGerbil

The only GPU I’d consider for an ITX board is one with a passive heatsink. In most cases I’d probably go with an ITX board using an IGP anyway.

If I’m going to try cramming in a GPU that needs a fan, I’m going mATX.

Which is not to say that there may not be people out there for whom ITX + double-slot GPU isn’t completely reasonable, just that an ITX case without space for one is hardly “worthless.”

Repeat (at least) once daily: “Everyone is not like me.”

• MadManOriginal

I think video card length would be a much more decisive factor than double slot. Mini-ITX motherboards are 6.7×6.7″ (17x17cm) You’d have to choose very carefully based on that to get a video card to fit in this case. For moderately powerful and up video cards mATX is the way to go. Or at least a normally-proportioned case.

• ssidbroadcast

I kinda miss my gamecube.

• eitje

This goes against everything I believe in as a tiny PC enthusiast!

• mfs378

When and where can I buy one?

• ColdMist

Where does the 3.5″ drive go? I can’t see a mount point unless it’s up against the front of the case. 2.5 on the bottom, CD on top, mboard on one side, and vents on the other.

Overall, I like it though.

• Imperor

That bottom mount would fit a freakin’ HUGE 2,5″ drive! 😉 That’s the 3,5″, the 2,5″ goes on the same side-panel as the MoBo.

• brm001

I think this is designed to look like a subwoofer or similar home theater object, vis a vis the squarish top-down view. The better to fit in in a typical mini-ITX setting, I guess, though I always thought most people wanted their home theater PCs to fit inside their entertainment furniture rather than sit outside it.

• flip-mode

That is…. hawt.

• CheetoPet

li-li pics == pr0n

• Thanato

I’ve been looking into building a mini itx computer with a quad core and other left over computer parts. But I’ve been wanting a really small case. Looking around and reading about itx cases I came to the conclusion that if I wanted a really small case I’d have to put up with loud PSU’s as I would need one that put out more that 250watts. This case might be a good compromise as it still relatively small but I could use a PSU that would be quiet.

I’ve looked into a external PSU but there wasn’t anything that would plug into a 20 or 24pin motherboard.

My dream ITX machine would be a quad core cpu with a case smaller than a xbox console that could work with or without a external video card. Also the case would be water cooled, hehe.

• BoBzeBuilder

YaY. 850Watts to power my X2 4050BE and 780G board.

better get a 2kw to be safe.

• torax

I’m getting a kick out of the 850W power supply pictured with the case.

• grantmeaname

I like the PSU in the picture… 850W!

• UberGerbil

Well, it’s cheap by Lian Li standards. I like the PSU/venting arrangement

But what is supposed to be going on in that “arrows” pic? Hot air is drawn in, somehow made magically cool while it is within the case, and then re-heated as it is being expelled from the case? Oh…kay.

(Yes, that was sarcasm. But wouldn’t you pay $69 for a case that could do /[

• jdaven

Wow! This is actually exactly what I want for my next case. The last piece of the puzzle remaining is an ITX motherboard for AMD socket AM3 with one PCIe 2.0 16x slot and I’m golden.

• MadManOriginal

Funky, nearly square around the perimeter and tall. Not really compact for a mini-ITX though and i’m not sure I buy the cost argument – there are mini-ITX cases that come with a sufficient for Atom PSU for the same price or less. I could see this being useful for a standard desktop parts mini-ITX system though, like GF9300/9400 or 740/780G.

Lian-Li needs to co-opt Apple’s ‘think different’ motto.

• Skrying

I don’t think the intention is for the Atom crowd. Instead for those mini-ITX systems that use full power parts in the tiny form factor. In general though mini-ITX cases tend to really ramp up in cost as the quality of parts used improve. The cheaper mini-ITX cases tend to be made of steel and plastic and have poor ventilation.

• Flying Fox

I’m just not a fan of the cube like dimensions.

• Pin It on Pinterest