8.9-inch Eee PCs to disappear this year

They’re small, light, and cheap, and they’ve been seducing cash-strapped users for months now. However, 8.9″ Eee PCs may also be about to disappear from store shelves and e-tail listings altogether. DigiTimes quotes Asus Asia-Pacific President Benson Lin as saying Asus will “completely phase out” Eee PCs with 8.9″ displays in 2009.

Why such a dramatic move? 10-inch models are “becoming the mainstream specification in the market,” according to Lin. DigiTimes says Asus expects 10″ Eee PCs to make up 95% of all its netbook shipments this year, with 7″ machines aimed at telecom companies accounting for the other 5%.

The popularity of 10″ Eee PCs isn’t a new phenomenon. When we whipped up a poll to ask readers for their favorite netbooks last September, the Eee PC 1000H got the most votes (18%), while only 5% of folks picked the Eee PC 901. Right now, 10″ Eee PC models are available for as little as $349.99 on Newegg, and going with a lower-specced 8.9″ machine only saves you 50 bucks. Both systems have the same display resolution of 1024×600, however.

• miken

I’m more interested in smaller than larger myself, but more screen area for the same case size is a win of course. IIRC, the 8.9″ models weren’t larger than the 7″ models, only more screen. Someone asked if the same were true for the 10″ vs. 8.9″ models, but I didn’t see any replies yet.

Does anyone know what the *smallest* netbook is/was? Besides Sony & Fujitsu — I know about those micro-netbooks, and I really like them; just wondering if there are any other alternatives in the “sub-8.9-inch” category. Hopefully models with a proportional case, screen-to-edge, not just a 5″ screen on a 10″ bezel…

• etilena

have one too, and it’s just the right weight and size for me as well. find the 10″ models a little on the heavy side.

• kamikaziechameleon

i have a 901, perfect size

• swaaye

I’m kinda on the fence on this. I have a 9″ Eee900 and have used a 10″. It seems to me that both are as usable, but that the 9″ is definitely even more portable.

• MadManOriginal

Now that I think about it a little more you have to truly go out of your way to spend that much on 16MP. 2560×1600 = 4MP so that’s an average of $2k per monitor 😮 The only way to do that is get true professional NECs or Eizos. Those are some big photos to edit!

• ludi

Uhm, you’re thinking about spending $8k on screens. Your tastes probably aren’t typical.

The original 7″ EeePC was arguably a bit too small in some ways. However, the 9-10″ netbook models are selling extremely well and aren’t going anywhere as yet. Asus is abandoning the 9″ market because they don’t have much retail presence there — while competitors, noteably Acer, do.

• MadManOriginal

The 6MP isn’t anything crazy, dual monitors could get there, but I’d like to see when he gets to 16MP.

• eitje

agreed.

• ImSpartacus

…so true

• TechNut

I have one. I have the HP Mini 1035NR. The battery life is about 2.5 hours when you turn off the Bluetooth and the Webcam.

It’s a nice little machine. I use it all the time for business. I looked at the others, but ultimately, I liked the style and HP brand. It runs Office just fine, and surfs the net ok. I did a 2GB memory upgrade to help it out a bit, and it was 20$ CDN for DD2-667 memory.

The HP 2140 is actually the business version, and it’s slightly more expensive. However, it comes with more features, and is like a regular business laptop, just tiny. It has the ExpressCard slot, and some of the other goodies, you’d expect.

If I had the choice, I’d go for the 2140, since it has a few more features at not that much higher price. The Mini however is great if you just want a quick, affordable get up and go machine from a big name PC vendor.

• Hattig

Hmm. It’s okay if they’re fitting the 10 inches in the same case size as the previous 8.9″, ‘cos they did have large bezels. I’d rather see more 1280×800 10″ screens than 1024×600 however. Or even 1366×768 16:9 10″ screens.

• Vasilyfav

All I can say to that is “DAMN!” Can you post pics of your awesome setup?

• holophrastic

Yeah.
    Step 1: Oooh look, small computers that are small! Let’s buy them!
    Step 2: Oooh look, less small is better than more small.
    Step 3: Hey look, now they come big!

I’m sitting with over 6 megapixels of screen real-estate. And I’m shooting for over 16 just as soon as I can find another $8K to spend on screens. What the hell would I do with 0.6 megapixels? My 486 had more, and that was almost 20 years ago!

• Voldenuit

Coming Soon, the 15.4″ Eee PC!

• trinibwoy

That’s deep.

• demani

I haven’t looked recently- are they about the same size physically? If that’s the case then I don’t see the big deal. But if not that seems crazy.

• bacondreamer

::palmface::

• pikaporeon

I love my EEE901; glad i got it before the phaseout i guess.

• ludi

Acer has knocked them down and stolen their lunch money in the 8.9″ market. For now, they still have an advantage in the 10″ market.

• bthylafh

Are you goatse?

I’ll get my coat.

• srg86

If the price on the 10″ models doesn’t come down to that of the 8.9″ ones after they’ve been phased out, then EeePCs have lost their purpose imho.

• bthylafh

Did they already discontinue the 7″ models?

• ludi

Delicious, nutritious bananas!

Wait, what?

• 5150

I can make MY 8.9-inch disappear too.

edit: You guys are sick.

Share this post with your friends!