Acer preps Atom-based Windows Home Server PC

Speaking of netbooks and servers, Acer is apparently cooking up a home server system based on Intel’s Atom processor. According to CNet Japan, the Acer Aspire easyStore H340 will come out on March 6, and the base model with 1TB of storage will cost ¥59,800 ($610). A 3TB version priced at ¥89,800 ($916) will also be available.

The easyStore H340 will feature a 1.6GHz Atom 230 processor—the same single-core CPU you can find in cheap nettops—as well as 1GB of RAM and a copy of Microsoft’s Windows Home Server operating system. A different report by PC Watch also mentions five USB ports, one external Serial ATA port, Gigabit Ethernet, and dimensions of 200 x 220 x 212 mm (7.9″ x 8.7″ x 8.3″).

Going by the photos on CNet and PC Watch, the easyStore H340 looks almost like a half-height version of HP’s MediaSmart server—except the HP system has Intel Celeron or AMD Sempron processors, less RAM, and lower price tags in its cheaper iterations (the EX470 model sells for just $519 at Buy.com). Considering the cost of Atom hardware and storage these days, though, Acer could conceivably undercut HP without too much trouble.

• Tamale

you’d do better to grab one of those wallwart PCs and an external terabyte drive 😐

• AMDisDEC

No doubt and you could even have full LAMP rather than Windows Home Server with the cost being a couple hundred bucks.

• AMDisDEC

Sounds like a bad deal to me. $600 for a mere 1TB, a single core ATOM, and running Windows Home sever?
    My grandmother can build a better system then this while also baking an apple pie and darning a pair of socks.

• ludi

I beg to differ. I don’t know about the socks part, but I find that the activity of baking an apple pie is not conducive to concomitantly building a computer. Especially the part where you get four pats of heatsink paste under the topcrust and lightly frost the CPU heatspreader with butter.

• Tamale

LMAO ludi!! BWUAAHAHAHAhahahaaaa

• MadManOriginal

I have to disagree. Butter has been shown in one totally subjective non-scientific test to be better than the previously top of the line toothpaste TIM.

• Sargent Duck

single core single channel server? I think a cheap dual core Phenom/A64 would do a lot better… for not much more

• Usacomp2k3

There isn’t much bandwidth at all, and not much CPU usage. The low-power aspect is great from an always-on perspective.

• MadManOriginal

Yeah it is nice to have the low power. A DIYer can make a low power draw system with more options and expandability if they want to though. I’m not sure I’d choose an AMD platform, while cheap the power draw isn’t as low as a comparably priced C2D and the integrated graphics advantage won’t mean much on a headless server.

• Usacomp2k3

For $120 I bought an AM2+ mobo, a 45-watt X2 and 2GB of ddr2-800. This is definitely overkill from a hardware perspective, but it was dirt-cheap. I could have gone for the $80 Atom board and the ddr2, but I wanted the dual-core for my web-hosting (something joe-sixpack is not likely to need).

• MadManOriginal

Cool. What OS do you plan on using? What other programs or tasks do you expect to run on the server? A powerful dual core CPU can certianly bring benefits over an Atom for more than basic file serving.

I guess if the integrated graphics are ‘free’ np…I happened to have a PCI graphics card (from 1992!) gathering dust which I used in my WHS Cel e1200 WHS box. I got a Gigabyte P35 mobo with 8 SATA ports which ought to be more than enough storage with no add-on cards given the rate at which HDs are increasing. Average power draw probably is higher than an Atom but it’s got more storage expansion and I undervolt it so typical power draw is <50W. We do know from reviews that AMD TDP vs Intel real power draw isn’t an equal comparison, I guess that was the point I was making.

• Usacomp2k3

I’m upgrade my WHS box that is on my wifes eMachines that has 1GB RAM and an Duron XP 3200 (IIRC). I’m using a PCI SATA card that I think is the most limiting factor.

• d2brothe

Do a lot more….for what? Its a storage server, it only needs gigabit ethernet and a capable hard drive. The CPU doesn’t matter. In this case, lower power usage would decrease operational costs and thats more important than performance.

• UberGerbil

Yeah, I’d expect the US price to be less than the Japan price anyway, and it really needs to be cheaper to be interesting.

As I said in the other thread, though, WHS really suffers from a consumer-education problem: it’s not a product most non-enthusiasts even know exists, let alone understand the benefits enough to go out and buy.

• Usacomp2k3

Hence the potential for a Microsoft Retail store?

• UberGerbil

Yeah, that was exactly my point in the other thread. Had I know there was going to be a “dedicated” WHS news post I would’ve put that comment here.
        😉

• AMDisDEC

It’s all in the preparation my man.

A few hours later and granny would be serving a slice of sweet juicy Apple pie which you could consume while putting on your fixed socks and backing up to your brand new Granny crafted $300, 2 TB dual core Granny Linux based NAS setup. Sweet!
      You can even have a slice of cheddar cheese on top of that pie.

• UberGerbil

WTF are you going on about?

• ludi

He targeted the wrong thread with his reply. But you got to admit, the result is spectacular!

• UberGerbil

It’s non sequiturrific!

• MadManOriginal

Not bad, although with pricing the same as HP’s WHS boxes it’s not a compelling buy. The HP boxes are already pretty small. btw for anyone interested in an HP box you might want to check out CC liquidation, I don’t know the discount percentage off the top of my head but if it’s more than 10% it would be as good a price as online.

• cygnus1

I hit 2 CC’s over the weekend. They both had only the display model left, and they were both in bad shape. 🙁

• Forge

Why would you even bother with a non-hollow display model of a WHS box? It has no keyboard/mouse/monitor, you’re supposed to plug in the AC, connect it to the LAN, and then never physically look at it again!

• d2brothe

Because if you don’t put it on display, the average user won’t even know it exists. At least this way they can ask about it and you can point to it and say…get this.