Windows 7 to add native .mov video file support

While many Mac users absolutely swear by Apple’s software, Windows users don’t always have the same enthusiasm for applications like QuickTime and iTunes. Well, with Windows 7, those folks many no longer have to deal with QuickTime—or hunt for more obscure third-party alternatives. As TechRadar points out, the Windows Media Player build in the upcoming Windows 7 release candidate will have support for .mov videos out of the box.

Don’t just take the site’s word for it. You can see Microsoft reveal the move for yourself in a post on the Engineering Windows 7 blog. The post details a number of changes in the upcoming RC build, from new alt-tab behavior and taskbar scaling to User Account Control security tweaks and more straightforward networking management. Under the “Windows Media Player” section, the blog post reads:

21. Improved playback support for video content from digital camcorders and cameras
Customers loved the increased range of formats natively supported by the Windows 7 Beta, but noticed areas where they wanted broader support. For example, one was unable to seek to a specific spot in the video in Windows Media Player or Windows Media Center for AVCHD content that was imported from a digital camcorder. We’ve addressed this. Also, while the support for video from some digital cameras worked great, we also got feedback about supporting a broader set of devices out of the box. We’ve since added support for Windows Media Player to natively support the .MOV files used to capture video for many common digital cameras.

That should definitely remove the need for QuickTime on a good number of Windows PCs. Of course, the .mov container format is also used for online video (like on Apple’s movie trailers website), and Microsoft doesn’t mention whether the Windows Media Player plugin will be able to fill in for Apple’s software there. If recent reports are accurate, you may be able to find out for yourself on April 10.

• NeXus 6

I only convert if needed. I’ve done several .mov file conversions to .flv (for web sites) and didn’t notice a loss of quality. I try to keep the bit rates the same.

heh, I forgot that with 7.5 QTPlayer got the option to do full-screen without paying for Pro. Thanks for the reminder.

• Palek

q[

• Palek

I am fairly certain you can resize with the latest Quicktime non-Pro. You can most definitely choose full-screen playback, which was not available in prior non-Pro versions.

• jstern

Don’t you lose quality on a video file that’s already compressed? Or is it some type of lossless conversion?

actually, no, you did. And now I did. 😉

• Anomymous Gerbil

But you had to have the last word…

• NeXus 6

RealPlayer has become obscure. I remember a time when a lot of web sites used it, but now it’s just that rare site, for some reason, that uses it. I’ve never used it on any of my sites. I’ve always stuck with mp3, mpg, wmv, flv, and more recently streaming mp4 files.

• green

i expect in the next 2 years for apple to phase out mov support
    mp4/h264/acc will be used instead
    afaik you don’t don’t mov’s from the itunes store
    they come as in mp4 (no quicktime codec used)

• Saber Cherry

A parasite in my book. Perhaps it can only self-replicate inside apple, but it still infects everything it touches and sucks the life out of them.

Who are you to decide that 2 MB of every personal computer is irrelevant? Is it in the Cult of Jobs indoctrination booklet? If every computer software company was as incompetent, selfish, and pernicious as apple, few people would have sufficient free RAM for anything useful.

You ought to run for Congress. “Pshh… 2 billion dollars? Stop playing like that’s real money! Nobody will notice it, here, slip it into the bill. Anyone who complains is a loser arguing pedantics.”

• A_Pickle

Oh, right. Irrational hatred, not legit criticisms. I forgot, my bad. Remind me to take you seriously the next time you have legit — er, irrational hatred and legit criticisms of Windows software.

I replied to those already.

• Meadows

That little bit is right.

• A_Pickle

I don’t think anyone here believes that Real’s technology is worthless, it’s the software that they want you to use to take advantage of that technology. It’s not unlike derFunk’s repeated and getting-dry assertion that “QuickTime” and “QuickTime Player” are not the same.

Well, “QuickTime,” as in, the set of codecs and display modes etc, is a pretty robust format. Just as I’m sure Real’s formats are. No one’s b**ching about that. We’re b**ching about the software that both parent companies insist one uses to take advantage of their technologies… QuickTime Player and RealPlayer both suck (though, I’ll give Apple the upper hand here: RealPlayer is malware).

• A_Pickle

I’m not talking about him, I’m talking about my criticisms. Yes, I know you can remove the tray icon from within QuickTime’s settings — I never made the supposition that you can’t. I made different criticisms of QuickTime, namely:

g[<1.) No fullscreen.
    2.) Exorbitant system resource consumption.
    3.) A strangely difficult to use UI when selecting "MIME" and filetype associations.
    4.) A tendency to destroy your filetype associations during install.
    5.) Security vulnerabilities.
    6.) It is somewhat crash-prone. Moreso than other media players.<]g You gonna address those? Or are those just nonsensical, Apple-hate-inspired bashery, as well? Or rather, "age-old memes designed to insult the software?" BS. You want to b***ch about him and his tray icon complaint... then why don't you reply to him? I made six criticisms of QuickTime -- sorry, the "QuickTime Player" as distributed by Apple, Inc. I will retract those six criticisms when they no longer exist within the software.

• axeman

It might for many quicktime videos on the web now. Alot of quicktime videos are now using some flavour of Mpeg-4 for the video stream and AAC for the audio. Neither is a proprietary method of encoding video and audio, open-source decoders exist for both. There are alternative quicktime decoders that do exactly that, just use a filter to demux the stream, and then standard decoders to playback the video and audio, and use far less CPU to boot. I’m sure Microsoft’s vast army of coders can build a decoder that is not copyright infringing. Old Quicktime videos could have a lot of proprietary content.

your fault for buying an Apple product. Sounds like you bought an iPod to me.

yeah it does, PDFs get associated with the Reader, right? The difference is that it’s file associations that you, personally, want.

• abos

You wish. That MS supports Apple’s format means that the companies behind the proprietary video codecs are banding together against Ogg.

• Meadows

Adobe’s stuff is only shoved in my face when I want it. It doesn’t change file associations _[

• moose17145

seriously… no seriously… we are gonna start the technicality game? Yes the computer will still boot, yes it will still kind of work, yes you can restore your file associations if you really wanna take the time to do so. But you very well know why quicktime sucks, but are simply trying to avoid it. It does ruin your file associations when you install it, the program itself is unstable, does not allow full screen (even if it is because Apple only locked it down, the fact still remains you cannot full screen the thing. It does in fact use more system resources than it should, and the application really is a monster of a security hole. So yes the computer will still boot… just too bad once it is booted it will never operate the way it used to before you installed quicktime, unless you wanna put some serious time into fixing everything it decided to screw up.

1. I know you can get it without itunes, my point is they try to shoe horn it in if you do not play close enough attention. That is a dirty trick a lot of people try and I vehemently oppose it.

more easily-identifiable lies.

§[<http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/<]§ <--no iTunes required.

no surprise there, you don’t mind when Adobe does stuff 10x worse than what the QuickTime installer does.

“borked computer”? Does it not boot? Has it somehow stopped you from using other software?

I’m not being pedantic; I’m being rational. The “criticisms” are age-old memes designed to insult the software. He already got caught in one lie wrt “have to uninstall to get rid of the tray app” as if it’s a virus that re-adds itself to the “Run” key in the registry or something.

• A_Pickle

Look. Most everyone here is talking about the “QuickTime Player,” because that’s the gay-ass piece of software that people have to (unfortunately) deal with on their PC’s on a day-to-day basis. I was talking about the “QuickTime Player,” but I referred to it as “QuickTime” because I don’t like to type a whole lot, but I’m also averse to acronyms. You know what I meant, and regardless of what the word “QuickTime” means, alone, everyone here is knocking the PC version of the QuickTime Player.

C’mon, derfunk. You’re a pretty reasonable Mac user. Don’t be pedantic…

• A_Pickle

That’s what I want to see…

• pedro

.mkv is lovely – all my rips get popped into one of those babies!

2. 7) Attempt to shoehorn I-tunes in with the install.

I hate quicktime with a passion.

• pedro

As much as a despise Real and all it stands for, if you like Shaw Bros. kung fu, you pretty much have to live with .rmvb.

The compression achieved is quite remarkable actually.

• willyolio

no, those are perfectly rational criticisms. the default way to get the quicktime codec is to install quicktime. which essentially results in a borked computer.

if you know what you’re doing, you can use QTA or something like that, but most people don’t know about it.

the whole point of the touch is for the iTunes app store, addresses, phone numbers, email, etc. and all that info has nothing to do with WinAmp.

• wiak

maroon1, .flac! to
    btw win7 has aac and h264 decoders
    so now .mov container support, so basicly you can play apple.com/trailers and movies.yahoo.com/trailers/

• Master Kenobi

.vob file disappeared because of litigation. I believe in Vista/7 it has returned, but only on that OS.

• Kulith

I thought winamp supported all ipods. It doesn’t sync with the touch?

It works well with my ipod video, much better than itunes itself. And it doesn’t have that ridiculous inability to transfer songs from your ipod to computer.

• Meadows

Thing is, I like Adobe better than Apple.

I did, too, but I ran the uninstaller .app to get rid of it. I don’t like software installing without authorization.

• Usacomp2k3

Very good point. Well said good sir.

• Usacomp2k3

If you had a Zune, it could do all that except you wouldn’t have to plug it in since it can sync wirelessly 😉

(note: I’m not saying that the Zune is perfect, just pointing out something that is cool about it)

• DrDillyBar

MKV is the new AVI

• DrDillyBar

agreed.

• Meadows

I got AIR without asking for it, it was bundled with the latest Reader which I need/prefer.

doesn’t Adobe Media player require Adobe Air? That’s like trading one POS software for another.

no argument on that last bit here. If MP3 could be so damn ubiquitous, I’m not sure why video has to be any different.

• frenchy2k1

Lots of digital camera (canon amongst others) switched from MJPEG in AVI to MPEG4 in mov. So, all the videos of canon camera using DIGIC4 or later are in mov containers. Canon being the largest digital camera manufacturer, a lot of people are dealing with mov files right now.

This move is probably what prompted MS to include mov support in win7. Before that, as you said, you could live easily without it…

• Convert

The time that something has been around doesn’t mean that it /[

you know what, before you take another opportunity to grind away at my “grinding away” I’m just going to let you go. 😉

• Convert

Thus far it seems we both remember the incident the same, I have yet to bring it up first in a conversation since it occured. You on the other hand..

So memory has nothing to do with it, it’s your incesent need to grind away at things.

q[

It’s been around forever – longer than just about any other codec out there. Wouldn’t that make them redundant?

§[<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QuickTime_version_history<]§

• Hance

I have an iPod touch so yeah I have to use iTunes. The thing of it is iTunes is BY FAR the biggest and best software for podcasts and buying music online. iTunes automagically downloads my podcasts for me and every day or two I plug my iPod into my computer. It auto syncs and I don’t even have to look at it.

No, I just have a long memory. I just wanted you to publicly come out and recant – it just makes me smile to know that even the biggest pains in my butt (leor, too) have come around. 🙂

• Meadows

The only reason I installed Real Player is to have their handy flash video downloading plugins, which Adobe Media Player can play. Therefore, I don’t need to use any of the bloated Real software and I disabled every part of it I could get my hands on, starting with the infuriating message center or whatnot.

• NeXus 6

I usually just convert any .mov files that I happen to download, although the QTLite plugin works great with VLC and MPC. Now, those .ram and .ra files are another story. Why people still use Real Player is beyond me.

• Convert

You would be correct; I did mean Quicktime Player and not Quicktime specifically.

Though quicktime just seems like one more unnecessary codec. So I have a problem with the whole package.

• Convert

Do you ever let anything go? Maybe that’s why you always seem like you have an axe to grind, no subject can be beaten to death with you apparently.

At any rate, I have been an owner of a macbook for 8ish months now.

Also, I don’t actually recall ever stating that I didn’t like Macs. I don’t like things about Macs..

• SomeOtherGeek

Bingo! And it is just not only bloatware, but it is more crash proof.

• SomeOtherGeek

Cuz every time iTunes needs to make an update or whatever, QuickTime must be downloaded and installed, there is a grayed out check box (that pisses me off, why show the check box if you can’t use it). So, every time I update iTunes, I have to uninstall QuickTime! The same thing they tried to do with Safari.

• Corrado

I know, I was honestly not trying to be a prick. Just pointing out that movie trailers on Apple.com are extremely popular.

so why’s it installed? Why not just disable it? It’s not like this is difficult.

no, not really, because you’re still talking about the player. Quicktime supports full-screen, but the player has it locked down. Quicktime itself is just a series of codecs. The UI for filetypes can be done from the Windows filetypes, it’s not like you have to use Quicktime. The default media player item on the start menu will give you your file association defaults.

These are all completely irrational hatred, not thoughtful criticisms.

• ludi

I dunno. Can the Yin and Yang be separated?

• ludi

That’s been my experience as well. I haven’t installed QuickTime in years — QTA handles everything well enough through frontends like MPlayer Classic or VLC.

• mac_h8r1

ugh. Whatever. How about MKV.

• willyolio

i don’t get why anyone WOULD use quicktime, given how crappy it is, and the plethora of better, free players out there.

• jstern

I think his point is that he’s never going to use it, so you can’t blame him for not wanting even 2mb of ram being taken up by a program that he’s never going to use. It gives the uneasy feeling of having bloat.

• A_Pickle

g[<...so I guess that goes to show how much .mov files are being used...<]g The trouble is, they are used. Ever seen that "reality web TV show" that's "filmed" inside of CounterStrike: Source? Obviously the team behind that is using a bunch of Macs, because all of their stuff is downloadable on their website in... you guessed it. .mov format. Now, why they wouldn't make these .mpegs or something is beyond me, but if you're making a humorous reality show that is FILMED within CounterStrike: Source (and, in fact, bases much of the humor around this fact) you're obviously catering to a group of people who certainly have a PC, and *might* have some alternative platforms. But they *definitely* have a Windows PC, with Steam... ...and it's in .mov format. It doesn't just stop there, though, because FinalCut Pro is a widely used and popular editing software. Can you guess what it's default export format is...?

• Meadows

You’re confusing my person with Krogoth.

• A_Pickle

But, in Vista, you have SuperFetch. Why does Apple still need QTTask.exe? Why do they need iPodService, rather than just… using Windows’s built-in hardware detection?

I wish the Safari for Windows team would go and beat the daylights out of the iTunes and QuickTime for Windows teams. Safari is… a surprisingly well-made Windows application… iTunes and QuickTime don’t begin to be.

• A_Pickle

Let me explain it to you.

1.) No fullscreen.
    2.) Exorbitant system resource consumption.
    3.) A strangely difficult to use UI when selecting “MIME” and filetype associations.
    4.) A tendency to destroy your filetype associations during install.
    5.) Security vulnerabilities.
    6.) It is somewhat crash-prone. Moreso than other media players.

Better now?

• w00tstock

Get a room you two.
    Would this not be the same reason people dislike vista 🙂

• indeego

The problem with this is Apple pretty much owns and controls the .mov format. When new versions of Quicktime come out, they may support extensions/additions to .mov that Windows Media Player does not. (kinda like how foxit can’t read some pdf’s correctly created with acro 9)

Just means MS will need to play catch-up to apple, or they’ll need to work together to make sure everyone can play the formatg{<.<}g

Sure I do. It improves app start times.

Actually the Mac is built on that premise – I close windows but not the apps all the time. Who cares how much memory is in use if you still have more – the point of more memory is to make things go faster. If you coddle your precious free RAM and never use it, you’re wasting money on having that much RAM in the first place.

Vista sucks despite what all is said around, indeed. LOL!

• Flying Fox

Madman not pro-XP anti-managed-code enough for ya? 😉

• FubbHead

iLife indeed.

• Pettytheft

There is a specific 64-bit media codec pack out there. The problem is once you start installing a bunch of codec packs they tend to start conflicting with each other. Some media players are more forgiving than others. WMP is not one of them. I would use the 32 bit player for now.

• odizzido

Anything to get rid of some of apples worthless garbage software is a step in the right direction.

Course I just use quicktime alternative myself, but maybe I wont have to see it sitting there being stupid and crappy when I use other peoples windows 7 computers.

• SomeOtherGeek

Yep, you are right, I did say it wrong… But it is still 2 MB and something that the OS has to process and can cause problems. If you are not using something, would you still keep it running in the background? Think not.

• Clint Torres

Is it just me or is 64-bit Vista’s Media Player just garbage. I’ve installed just about every codec under the sun and it still won’t play certain .AVIs. They play just fine in Media Player Classic and VLC. Doesn’t matter if I use the 32 or 64-bit version of Media Player…it’s just wanked! I avoid it like the plague.

I’m no fan of Apple software but Quicktime Pro has some cool features like exporting a movie to a series of still frames.

no, the fact is you said it could only be removed by uninstalling.

And right now on my system, QTTask.exe is using 2484k of memory and 0 CPU. Hardly worth mentioning.

• SomeOtherGeek

But that is my point, why do I even need it when it is consuming resources when I can just uninstall it all together and remove the “Q” icon. I know you can hide it, but it still keeps on running in the background and that is BS in my book!

Part of the packaging that your first Mac comes with is a book that explains how to properly evangelize the platform and explain the pros of working with the OS.

Right now I’m married to it. Ever since eMagic was bought by Apple, there hasn’t been a Windows version of Logic, and the way they integrate it with all the cheap, royalty-free software instruments, I’m not sure I’d want one anyway.

At first for me it was “ooh shiny” and that novelty has worn off. It’s still the best way to get things done, but it’s the platform as a whole – the OS is just a tiny part of that. iLife makes getting family and social things done very easy. And I don’t know how I did audio work before Logic – all the little utilities and the file formats (AIFF Apple Loops! Mein Gott!) make creating new sounds so easy.

Sorry to hear you’re wrong, but if you go to the Control panel and open teh Quicktime applet, you can remove the Q icon.

• UberGerbil

But those groups mostly only get into high dudgeon with each other, not Linux/OSX folks, and even then they generally don’t reach the far edges of sanity we see with some of the pro- (or anti-) Intel or AMD nuts..

The Mac folks around here are quite reasonable, but I’ve never encountered an XP or Vista person who evangelizes like some of the Mac people I’ve met (let alone the real hardcore OSS/ Linux hippies).

• SomeOtherGeek

It is, but you can unistall it and iTunes runs just fine without it.

• SomeOtherGeek

I don’t, so what are you going to do about it??

• SomeOtherGeek

Ditto. It is an annoying little “Q” icon in the taskbar that can only be removed by uninstalling QuickTime. Just cuz the kids have iPods and NEED iTunes to interface with the Ipod – doesn’t mean that iTunes has to be installed. In fact, I have iTunes without QuickTime on all the systems and there has not be a compliant, so I guess that goes to show how much .mov files are being used…

• UberGerbil

I still think it’s ludicrous that /[

you don’t like Quicktime player or you don’t like codecs?

I don’t get all the Quicktime hate.

• eitje

in his world, those people that do things differently from him are irrelevant.

• burntham77

Quicktime is about as bad as Real Player. MOV support is a good addition to Windows. Not being forced to use Apple’s annoying software is great.

• jstern

He’s not criticizing them, or saying that they should be done away with. He just said that he personally does not watch movie trailers. He said it in a very casual manner, similar to someone saying they like chocolate, and another responding that they like vanilla.

sure we do. They just fall into two groups: Pro XP and Pro Vista.

waitaminit – you don’t even like Macs. You accused me of having an axe to grid at one point and sparked an argument that resulted in both of us being threatened by Damage with a ban.

what’s to like or not like? It just sits there, out of the way.

If you don’t like Quicktime Player, that’s different. Quicktime is a video/audio codec system for encoding, recording, and playback. Quicktime Player is a no-frills media player that sucks eggs on Windows because it’s slow and a CPU drain, but does a pretty decent job in OS X.

• Convert

I don’t even like it on the mac personally.

• Corrado

Not to be a dick, but just cuz YOU don’t find them interesting doesn’t mean no one else does. 🙂

• kvndoom

Life was better when Media Player 8 could play .vob files, a feature that “mysteriously” disappeared in WMP9 and later. Quicktime… WGaF.

• Taddeusz

Winamp isn’t a one-stop-shop unless I want to pay for it. Why would I want to pay for something that iTunes give me for free with my iPod?

• eh?

Amen, including flac

• Taddeusz

Duh, yea. iTunes uses Quicktime as its playback engine. iTunes will always require Quicktime. Why do you think the two are bundled together?

• UberGerbil

I haven’t noticed a lot of “YEA Windows, YEA Microsoft” around here (or anywhere, really). There are some pretty hardcore Apple people, and we have a couple of crazed pro- and anti- folks when it comes to Intel and AMD, but nothing like that when it comes to Microsoft. Even the people who are pretty happy with Windows and praise certain aspects of it or of other Microsoft products are a lot more skeptical and tempered in their opinion.

• tfp

I’m hoping I will not need to install quicktime. I have never liked it.

minor correction. Quicktime for Windows is trash. Quicktime for Mac is actually very good because of its tight integration. Kinda like WMV support in Windows.

so you’re saying people will install Quicktime anyway? Or now only 93 out of 100 people will install it? Sometimes it’s best to leave the sarcasm at home.

• Stefan

For everyone with objections against installing Quicktime (rightfully so!), I suggest “Quicktime Alternative”. Quicktime functionality without messing up your system. Sweet.

• Usacomp2k3

Gotcha. To each his own.

• _Sigma

If you have a Touch/iPhone, you don’t have a choice but to use iTunes.

• Kulith

why would you ever want itunes?

use winamp!

• maroon1

I hope that add a native support for .ogg as well

• Meadows

Simple, it’s news because they didn’t support it before. And it eliminates QuickTime because those 7 people out of 100 who use it definitely don’t look at the specific codecs first to make that decision.

• Meadows

It’s hard to make an unstable file format, so yeah, I guess it’s solid.

they’re not saying they’re supporting Quicktime-specific codecs, they’re just supporting the .mov file container. How’s this news, and how does it eliminate Quicktime?

• Meadows

I’m not very interested in trailers, nowadays I just look at posters (at the most), check the movie’s genre, and try finding critics’ ratings. Even a trailer can be a spoiler of sorts, and I hate those.

• Madman

Being always YEA Windows, YEA Mircrosoft is not the best way to go. There is quite a number of good things in Apples and Macs, actually, quite a few have been taken over by Windows 7 and Vista.

I really hate QuickTime, but .mov as a file format is actually pretty solid.

• Master Kenobi

Ditto. Quicktime is a flaming piece of trash. The real question now will be, if you want to load iTunes, will Quicktime still be a requirement?

• Usacomp2k3

They are the best place to find movie trailers, it’s true.

• Meadows

I am very likely to even consider navigating to Apple’s site for whatever reason.

Not.

This is great.
    Quicktime (non-pro) is a waste of space on a windows PC.
    I’ve been using Quicktime Alternative wherever possible for the last 7-8 years.

• danny e.

hmm that actually makes me happy. I despise quicktime.

• Corrado

Movie trailers on Apple’s site are all in MOV. Plus, with more and more people buying Macs, theres bound to be people using MOV’s with home videos.

• Meadows

I’ve never ever dealt with a single .mov file in the last 10 years at least. I obviously can’t speak for everyone but I still expect this to be irrelevant for vast masses of people.

Share this post with your friends!