Windows 7 testers get GeForce drivers straight from Nvidia

Eager enthusiasts downloaded and installed the Windows 7 beta in droves last month, and Nvidia seems happy to serve them. The company has released a batch of drivers especially for the beta operating system, and it invites testers with GeForce GPUs to grab the update directly from its website.

In a press release flaunting the move, Nvidia notes that these GeForce 181.71 drivers support Microsoft’s Windows Display Driver Model 1.1 specification. The drivers should also bring “increased performance and reliability” in 3D and 2D apps, including the Windows 7 version of the Aero graphical interface. Going by the official download pages, the drivers work with GeForce 6 through GeForce 200-series graphics cards, although apparently, WDDM 1.1 support only applies to GeForce 8 and later offerings.

The GeForce 181.71 release is available right now for 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the Windows 7 beta. Nvidia says this “represents the start of regular NVIDIA driver updates for the forthcoming operating system,” so keep your eyes peeled for future updates.

• shiznit

I tried the new W7 driver and I get at least 5fps more in DoW2 with 182.08 but it could be a fluke. Any improvement in 7048, I’m thinking about trying it.

• Meadows

At any rate, the drivers don’t work on the beta release, you need a newer build against the problem – Windows 7 build 7048 fixed my issues about being locked to 60 Hz and the official resolution limit of my CRT, even without the latest drivers. I might just use the Windows 7 drivers from nVidia though, I didn’t test anything but it seemed to offer better performance than the latest Vista release.

• shiznit

It’s been a known issue that since 180.48 (or something near that), custom resolutions from the CP have been broken in the 64bit Vista driver, it was even documented in every driver release since then if you dowloaded the release notes pdf. The release notes for 182.08 say it’s fixed and it works for me.

What resolution and refresh rate are you trying to use, I’m on W7 build 7000 (official beta) and I’m not having issues any more.

• The Tech Report

and that had all the relevance of what exactly? Oh right, none at all.

• Meadows
    • The Tech Report

Not according to M$ themselves.

§[<http://www.nytimes.com/idg/IDG_002570DE00740E18002573FE006B7266.html?ref=technology<]§ Opinion != fact. And that is all you have stated.

• Meadows

Custom resolutions have worked for me before, I don’t recall issues with past drivers that lasted long (and no issues whatsoever in a good while). This, however, still doesn’t work.

I’m suspecting a severe bug with Windows 7 beta, going to test drive build 7048 (RC?) momentarily though to make sure. Two separate PCs with two different GeForces are doing the same thing, Windows 7 simply shits itself and shows 2D, 256-colour mode with severe UI destruction if I dare attempt to set >60 Hz.

• shiznit

yep, i just made a bunch of custom resolutions/refresh rates for my crt. I can’t tell you what a pain it’s been for me the last month or so after Nvidia broke custom resolution/refresh rate support in the Control Panel. I had to edit the nv_modes reg key (or is it string?) every damn time I changed drivers and manually add the modes with the refresh rate in hex, and even after all that they wouldn’t all work, sometimes it did nothing at all. It’s completely fixed in 182.08, WDDM 1.1 be damned.

• Meadows

Are you positive that refresh rates other than 60 Hz work with that?

• shiznit

ok scratch that, 182.08 just came out and custom refresh rates work again from the control panel.

• yuhong

“(or rather I’ve never been able to get ti to work… there are rumours that some have)”
    Try booting with “Disable Driver Signing Enforcement”, but do consider that not only that the nForce3 x64 drivers are beta, but were written for a beta version of XP/Server 2003 x64.

• shiznit

you can manually add custom refresh rates to the registry. I’ll post again later and tell you how, busy now.

• thermistor

Memo to Nvidia: NVLDDMKM has quit working.

Remember that one?

Don’t screw the pooch again like you did with Vista.

• eitje

Oh, great, just in time. Last night, I switched my test box from a 8400 GS to an HD2400 because of the Win7 drivers.

• UberGerbil

So did you report a bug to nVidia? Or even to MS?

• Metonymy

Installed fine on a 64-bit Win 7 on a Dell XPS420, but failed to do so on a laptop running a GeForce 7300 with 32-bit Win 7

• Madman

Only a half baked product 😉

• toyotabedzrock

ATI has had Win7 Drivers for a while, and there standard driver support Win7 now as well.

• Meadows

GeForces are supported out of the box as well. That doesn’t mean the included drivers are flawless or even “good enough”.

• GTVic

My 4850 was supported by Windows 7 Microsoft drivers right out of the beta package. I was very impressed to see dual screens automatically running at 1600×1200 native res even before setup was finished.

• indeego

Intel and ATI also released numerous drivers upon and after Vista’s release. Intel still hadn’t ironed out most of the bugs up to a year after its release. Intel is *still* releasing driver updates for significant bugs on Windows XP for modern chipsets!

You can also point at Microsoft as the #2 source of driver issuesg{<:<}g §[<http://media.arstechnica.com/news.media/vistacrash-1.jpg<]§ YOu can certainly lay claim to blame Nvidia, but Microsoft controls its own Operating system, it signs the drivers, or it doesn't. By Microsoft allowing these drivers to be installed, it surely must take some of the blameg{<.<}g Apple seems to have driver stability/installation down pat, comparatively.

• Meadows

Try convincing Madman of that, he’s got an unwavering belief that Vista is the mother of apocalypse.

• ChronoReverse

Not to mention a great deal of the blame for those changes being necessary resulted from Nvidia’s own pressure on MS.

• Meadows

I noticed a performance difference (for the better), but my screen resolution is still locked to 60 Hz. Oh, atrocity. I wonder if torrenting a much newer build of Windows 7 could clear that up rather than waiting for a driver.

I’ll try checking if Quake Live still has issues under Windows 7 with these drivers.

• Meadows

Those “last minute” changes you’re referring to either came weeks/months before release, or they were insignificant.

• Kaleid

Yeah. Took ’em one year to create functioning Vista64 drivers. Apart from that though (which *is* a long time) I haven’t had any trouble with their drivers since the KT133A/Socket A days..but that may have been because of Via chipset/drivers too.

• Madman

IIRC, there were some last minute changes in Vista driver architecture.

• Meadows

Only a fool makes the same mistake twice.

• BenBasson

Cue Creative Labs.

• Meadows

They install and function, but I’ve had my fair share of video setting issues in Windows 7 beta that I’ve never had in Vista.

• Ratchet

Vista drivers seem to work fine on Windows 7 as well…

• willyolio

no kidding. i wouldn’t have been surprised to see them to not come out with new drivers for a few months after windows 7 was released, and then claim they weren’t given adequate time to prepare.

• ChronoReverse

I’m glad Nvidia is on the ball this time round.

• Meadows

I can only hope they have the performance of v182.06, and I expect them to be less buggy than v182.06 – which does install but didn’t give me a flawless experience with the beta OS. Could as well be the fault of the OS, but we’ll see in a moment.

• Zymergy

Anyone tried the [email protected] GPU client with these yet?

Share this post with your friends!