New Thermaltake enclosure looks like lunch tray

We recently reviewed a Lian Li enclosure with sideways optical drive bays, but this latest specimen is clearly much further up on the weirdness scale. As TR gerbils recently noted in our forums, Thermaltake has been displaying a strange compartmentalized case at CeBit this week. Both Expreview and Hexus have photos from the show floor.

Dubbed the Level 10, the enclosure looks more like something out of an old sci-fi movie than an actual PC case. It houses components like the hard drives, optical drives, and the power supply in individual boxes that poke out of a lateral panel—a bit like a sealed school lunch tray sitting on its side. As far as we can tell, 3.5″ hard drives each get their own individual compartments, and there’s room for six of ’em.

Unfortunately, Hexus says Thermaltake kept the case sealed and didn’t show off the internals. Expect more details and probably an official launch at Computex in early June.

• billyconnection

I like it too!

Now, whether I can afford it is another question. Would I put it in my house, is another.

Looks like something from Star Trek. Possibly a piece from a Ferengi Marauder.

My girlfriend says it looks like a trap for a lot of dust.

• sluggo

Parts I like: the top handle
    Parts I don’t: everything under it

• albundy

how does it cool the optical/hdd’s? and how does it accommodate SSDs? Farting out ideas to make this thing is funny.

• Metalianman

Me Love it!! :D:D:D

I like it.

• green

looks awful
    the only place i’d put this is in a server room
    partly to make the room look a little nicer
    but mostly because i don’t go in there too often

• destroy.all.monsters

Looks like a PS2 on steroids

• Tamale

heh.. impractical in almost every manner, but that isn’t keeping me from staring in bewilderment 🙂

• Xenolith

I like mine more… §[<http://www.flickr.com/photos/25537037@N07/3024027698/<]§ Not very child safe. Actually not very adult safe either.

• bronek

It’s weird. I love it, but I think my wife won’t let me buy it – it will scare the children away. Hey, actually that’s a very good reason to buy!

• moose17145

Does anyone else think it looks almost like a Borg Cube from that frist picture on expreview? Gotta admit, with a few modifications this thing would look exactly like a piece of assimilated borg technology! Take those red lights and trim, and make it green instead, throw a few borgish looking tubes on it here and there, and BAM! One Borg themed computer case! A nerds wet dream!

I think I may have found my next case… if only to mod it into something as nerdy as I just described.

• ludi

Tell houston the beagle has landed, because this space ship is a dog.

• CheetoPet

I like, looks to be short on ventilation tho. Unless of course the ‘tray’ part is a huge TEC or something. Love to know whats under the covers.

• Thanato

I’ve been wanting a case like this, but not exactly like this. I’ve been wanting a case that had compartments for each of the components but I’d want it to be more like a home theater where the parts are stacked separately so you would have have what you need, but could always add more. The PCI slots would have to be external compartments and the motherboard would be smaller than a mini ATX. Hmm maybe USB 3.0 could make it possible….

• UberGerbil

There is a spec for External PCIe, which is what you want to create a “devolved” set of consumer-audio-like components. There’s certainly something to be said for putting the video card into a box with its own power supply and cooling separate from the rest of the system. In fact you could put the optical drive in it as well and the thing could function as a stand-alone media player (with a bit of work to get the GPU to do all the work without any intervention from a CPU — nVidia’s dream)

§[<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express#PCI_Express_External_Cabling<]§

• Thanato

Bypass a cpu, that’s a crazy thought, but I liiike it. I wonder if a x86 license could be bypassed as well for a gpgpu system, say you boot off a x86 shell that only needs a Intel Atom as your cpu once running the gpu’s take over.

• UberGerbil

GPUs are /[

• liquidsquid

Ugh, I think it looks pretty stinking ugly. Give me a beige box any day.

However it would be nice if the comp industry took it one step further and the side mounting plate would actually be a back-plane, and the “blocks” would simply plug into it rather than raw circuit boards. In that way, you can upgrade/add CPU blocks, add HDD blocks, GPU blocks… without taking a case apart and rooting through wires. Probably would be really darned expensive.

• Meadows

Inquirer Charlie wrote about it earlier, it was in a shortbread. It’s supposed to be a limited edition case, and _[

• Thresher

I gotta admit, I really like this. I shouldn’t, but I do.

• brm001

This is the first case I’ve ever seen that I would actually save up money to buy–if it’s good. Can’t wait to see the reviews!

• droopy1592

I’d pwn it

Something tells me it will go for a premium though.

The Lian Li’s $380 retail was just a bit ridiculous, somehow I feel this will be $350 or more.

• alex666

Pretty hard to judge until the innards can be viewed (e.g., it looks like you can hot-swap the hdds, but can’t tell for sure from the pictures). For enthusiasts constantly changing their components, it could be a pretty functional case, a covered version of the open bench with possibly better cooling.

• morphine

I happen to really like the design, and I tend to hate “sci-fi” looking and windowed cases.

Nevertheless, even if I didn’t like the looks, I have to admit that the idea itself is brilliant.

• pdjblum

Waaaaaay cooooooool. I love my top deck tech stations, but I might try one of these.

• indeego

Looks like a blade server met up up with a glob of industrial design.

I think I’d like in a different colorg{<.<}g

• FroBozz_Inc

I think it’s pretty cool looking.

Very sci-fi/futuristic and funky – I bet it keep things pretty quiet, too.

Neat idea!

Looking forward to a TR review.

• Hattig

Well if the drive bays clipped off (SATA hotplug) for replacement that would be neat.

It just looks a little bit too much like “Sci-Fi Movie Set Component #471/A” to me.

• VaultDweller

Everywhere I see this posted, people are raving about how awesome it looks.

Honestly, I don’t get it. I think it’s ugly as hell. Also, I doubt it would be a pleasure to work with, and I doubt it will exactly do much for good cooling and airflow.

• NeronetFi

It looks like a slim PS2 on steroids

• A_Pickle

My thoughts exactly. 😀

• Farting Bob

Wow im not usually into pimping my system, but that case looks fantastic!

• FubbHead

A very BIG lunchtray.

• MadManOriginal

That thing is begging for a Borg mod.

• Missile Maker

I like it! Seems like we’re seeing more case innovation that’s also more practical and artistic than in past years. Think this TT has a decided futuristic bent. Love to see someone review it when it comes out.

• TheBob!

But why waste your time with this when we could just add more LEDs and Windows?