Windows 7 RC1 may arrive in late May

Almost a month ago, we quoted a Neowin report that said the first Windows 7 release candidate could arrive as early as April 10. Today, Neowin taps Russian website Wzor, which claims Microsoft’s official schedule calls for a public RC1 build release “during the last week of May 2009.”

Testers will get Windows 7 release candidate “escrow” builds in the fourth week of April, and reportedly, Microsoft will coordinate the Windows 7 RC1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 release schedules. According to Neowin, an escrow build is a version of the software “where development halts and developers & beta testers start testing the product for any show-stopper bugs.”

The same site also dug up some dirt on the Office 14 schedule. Word is that the first Office 14 beta will come out in July but won’t be available to the public. A second beta will roll out in November, and Microsoft plans to have the software ready in about a year—”early March 2010.”

• sluggo

FWIW, the EULA for build 7057 that’s running on my garagebox says “Windows 7 Operating System Release Candidate 1”. Might not mean much, as it may simply be boilerplate. Or maybe not.

• UberGerbil

Updating that ID string is not a work item they’re going to leave to the very last build…

• pikaporeon

im excited -because- win7’s beta is so buggy to me.

• Meadows

You could already be using build 7048 since a while, which is not buggy at all when you compare it to the public beta.

• PetMiceRnice

Good to see. I will likely replace my Windows XP based laptop with a Windows 7 laptop in about a year, with the idea being that I want to see Windows 7 released and the initial kinks worked out. Ideally I would like to see Diablo 3 released before buying a new laptop, but I know how long it takes for Blizzard to release something. 🙂

• dustyjamessutton

I’ll use Windows 7 as long as it doesn’t break compatibility with any programs.

• End User

While my main Windows box is still running Vista x64 I am running Windows 7 x64 on a X2 4800+/8800 GTS based system connected to an HDTV. Vista drivers are in use and everything is functional. The new windows management features and the new Taskbar are substantial improvements over Vista. I have no doubt that I will be moving to 7 upon its release.

• WaltC

I’ve installed the Win7 beta and so far I like it, too. But my primary boot partition is Vista x64, and apart from my occasional leaps of curiosity coupled with some time on my hands during which I boot to Win7, I still find Vista x64 the more useful and engaging of the two. I think Win7 will be especially great for those poor sods still stuck in XP because of older hardware and cheaper hardware with Vista driver constraints, as Win7 will provide them with a way to bootstrap out of XP more comfortably than they could with Vista–which at the time of Vista’s release faced some application and driver hurdles that Win7 won’t have to face–ironically, thanks to Vista having been out for a few years already and the driver and application kinks having been worked out in advance…:)

IE, if nothing else, for the late adopters and lazybones among us, Vista has served to smooth out the welcome mat for Win7, imo. The new D3d driver models and many other things brand new to Vista simply won’t be be brand new for Win7–but will be approaching a “tried and true” status. No doubt because of that many will say in glowing terms just how great Win7 is compared to that turd Vista–but of course those folks really never had a clue in the first place, did they?…;)

• burntham77

Very well put.

• UberGerbil

And it’s even concise, by WaltC standards.

• jstern

So far I’m liking Vista better than Windows 7, even though they are pretty similar. But I’ve been using Vista for so long that I guess I like the feel of it better. If you have Vista, I would recommend not to upgrade.

• grantmeaname

Vista Sucks though!11!! Everyone knows that !!!!!!11111!1

• UberGerbil

You are literally the only person I’ve ever heard express that opinion.

• ImSpartacus

Yeah, I’ve heard the “XP > 7” whiners, but no one has said Vista is better than 7. It’s just wrong.

• jstern

I’m not saying that it’s technically better than Windows 7, just that I’m so accustomed to all the little things in Vista. It works perfectly for me. It actually work flawlessly, doesn’t get in the way at all, so I probably wouldn’t notice much of the technical improvements, so it would be a waste of money to change. Maybe it’s because I’m getting older (26) and don’t care much about change, similar to how some people still stick with XP. I run XP on Virtual PC and it runs smoother than it did on my older PC.

• thermistor

To show how jaded I am, I originally read the title of this post as:

“Windows 7, RC1 may arrive late, in May.”

When it really said:

“Windows 7, RC1, may arrive in late May.”

I added commas for how I parsed it the first and second readings.

The new MS: Freshly competitive, hitting their goals. Or something…

• Neutronbeam

Just installed 7057 x64 this morning — took all weekend for the torrent to download it and the x86 version — and activated it with a legit key directly from MSFT. So far it’s…interesting. Put it on my laptop and I’ll keep poking around with it as I haven’t dug into the new features yet. Certainly it’s a good bit more minimalist in visual design and does seem snappier in terms of response. But I think I’d be excited by anything that gets me past Vista.

• jon_lui

When are they terminating the public beta?

August.

• axeman

• stmok

Windows 7 => Windows Vista Second Edition.

• UberGerbil

Windows XP = Windows 2000 Second Edition
        Windows 2000 = Windows NT 4.5 Second Edition
        etc.

This whole meme is getting old.

• sotti

It’s really not that rushed Beta was build in mid december, may would be a full 5 months to release canidate and you could guess another 2-3 moths to RTM

MS has been pretty consistent from their last beta to RTM of around 7-9mo.

• moshpit

I’m still on build 7048 and loving it. If it didn’t have a time bomb on it, I’d just keep using it as my main OS unless RC is just somehow that much better, but it’s hard to imagine.

• glacius555

heh, I have “killed” the time bomb on my 32-bit build 7000, will use it until I buy a TV tuner that has 64-bit drivers. Anyways, my main OS is a 64-bit Vista:)

• Meadows

Wonder what the build number will be.

The delay isn’t significant, build 7057 is already excellent in a lot of ways and has been leaked to everyone and their mothers.

• xzelence

Where?

I still have build 7000.

torrent sites and other less than legal means

• Meadows

Technically I’m not breaking (many) laws yet, but far eastern places where they actually sell premature builds for money, that’s a “less than legal means”. Then again, that’s of no interest to people with know-how.

• Meadows

TPB, where else? At least 3 different builds have leaked out in both 32- and 64-bit flavours since the beta build went public. Build 7048 and up will solve most of the hitches of the public beta including some deal breaker video issues, and I’m sure build 7057 has only capitalised on that. You can simply run an “upgrade” install from within the beta operating system if you have over 11 gigs of free hard drive space.

• insulin_junkie72

Ehh, from a Media Center-centric perspective, at least, build 7048>7057.

7057 has some MC-related glitches and feels a little more sluggish than 7048.

Went back to 7048 (which most certainly was a very noticeable leap forward from 7000 – heck, it probably would have been worth the upgrade just for the built-into-Explorer WTV->MS-DVR converter)

RTM will be build 9001.