iPhone OS 3.0 to bring copy and paste, search, MMS support

While we were busy getting our processor value analysis ready yesterday, Apple took the wraps off its third major iPhone operating system release. The new OS is only available in beta form to developers for now, but the folks at Tech Fragments have put together a neat run-down of the new features (and omissions).

Some of the most noteworthy additions include: copy-and-paste capabilities, at last; support for typing in landscape mode with a “larger keyboard” in Apple apps; the ability to search one’s contacts, e-mails, notes, and iTunes library; and support for sending Multimedia Messaging System messages. For third-party developers, iPhone OS 3.0 reportedly brings “over 1,000 new APIs” and goodies like Google Maps integration.

Still absent from the release: Adobe Flash and tethering support, although Tech Fragments points out that those features could pop up in a minor iPhone OS update.

Regular iPhone users will get the new mobile operating system free of charge this summer. As always, iPod touch users will have to pay for the upgrade—$9.95, to be precise.

• vanishingvision1985

I’m still skeptical of the turn by turn directions.

I was trying to track where I was going in Chicago downtown area. Believe I was in I-90 going north and yet when I pressed current location while driving, it kept putting me into on a side street.

I’ve had Verizon before and the VZ Navigator, if the apps can be made with that kind of accuracy, I will GLADLY pay a monthly/yearly/per-use fee.

I think the battery life is still quiet crappy actually, I leave my 3G on most of the times, I fetch every hour yet I have to charge the phone once a day. Maybe they can come up with higher capacity battery or something.

MMS is……. yea should have been with the release. CCPU, same story.

There is actually one more thing I would really love and that is the whole ring tone fix. Creating a ring tone is quiet crappy thru iTunes store, plus, I have music that I want from the other side of the world and I can’t use them “legally” on the phone. That and PLEASE let us friggin shuffle/random ring tone.

• Usacomp2k3

The other news today is that AT&T will start selling contract-less iPhones. $500 for 16GB and $600 for 32GB.

• FireGryphon

Some of these additions are great, others should have happened a long time ago… but I can’t help but feel like the absence of Adobe Flash is a welcome feature instead of a glaring omission 😉

• Hattig

Indeed. And it’s easy for the website to support iPhone video – check the client OS, if iPhone then use a HTML5 video element instead of the Flash video code.

• blastdoor

There’s a lot of good stuff in this release, but the one that I think could be potentially huge is the ability for apps to control other hardware devices either through bluetooth or through the connector. Some ideas that occur to me:

* use your iPhone as a universal remote by having it use bluetooth to communicate with a little box that could then send IR signals to AV equipment (could really serve as a remote control for any type of device)

* third party game controllers that connect to the docking port

* a dock for your car that includes a larger GPS antennae for improved turn-by-turn navigation

* a dock that consists of a folding keyboard with a battery pack. You could type e-mails (or other documents) on a plane while charging your iPhone.

Combine third party hardware support with the existing level of 3rd party software support and the iPhone platform becomes an unstoppable juggernaut.

yeah, this could potentially be a pretty big deal. And a lucrative market full of pricy dongles, if they really want to use the dock connector.

• 5150

I just bought an iPod touch a week ago. Is Apple still going to charge $10 for the update? My guess is yes, this is Apple after all.

considering the OS isn’t even OUT yet, yes.

• blastdoor

$10 is a small price to pay for a lot of features. Compare that $10 to $10 you could spend on an app in the app store, and I think you’ll find it’s a very good deal.

• MattMojo

Considering that most of the features that have been added have been standard features on smartphones for years — I would say paying $10 for the update is stupid and should be covered by the contract lock-in with the provider.

WM updates are limited by hardware and manufacture willingness — but if released they are free — not to mention xda devs for those that have been left out.

*** also, paying $10 for an update that, in the past, has made the device more unstable and unusable seems to be ridiculous; this coming from an iPod touch user that has paid for these update(s) and am now presented with a crash prone device. ***

• Usacomp2k3

iPod touches don’t have a contract lock-in.

• MattMojo

no s**t it’s not a smartphone. I was merely pointing out that paying for an update that makes something less stable is retarded — which is what I did and regret it. And as for the iPhone only 3G versions get it for free, from what I understand — and my point with it was that it is just now joining the rest of the smartphone community with proper features (kind-of). I will hold my breath on what this new update will break and/or fix (past issues).

iPhones get it free. iPod Touches aren’t smartphones.

• FireGryphon

Forstall — an unfortunate name to have when you’re a PR liason for bringing new features to market 🙂

the copy and paste is nice – I’ve been eyeing an iTouch as a PIM/portable games device. The first of those two could benefit from copy/paste.

It’s also worth noting, that according to Gizmodo’s coverage, Apple said the hardware supports tethering and it’s up to AT&T to allow it.