Samsung ships 16GB DDR3 memory modules

Cramming 6GB of memory into a shiny new Core i7 rig is great, but Samsung must think that’s a little passé: the company says it’s begun shipping DDR3 modules with a whopping 16GB capacity.

Samsung claims these are the “world’s first and smallest high-density memory modules” to use 2Gb, 50nm DRAM chips, which are packed in dual-die configurations to allow for 16GB registered DIMMs. The modules themselves are rated for operation at 1066Mbps (or 1066MHz), and Samsung says it’s the first to offer 16GB modules that can operate at 1.35V. It’s not entirely clear whether the modules can actually hit their top speed at 1.35V, though.

In any case, Samsung points out that the 16GB modules allow two-socket servers to tote 192GB of total memory—that means six DIMMs per CPU, so it’s probably talking about Nehalem-based Xeon servers with triple-channel memory controllers.

Even that might start to look a little outmoded soon, because the company announced 4Gb DDR3 chips back in January. Those chips can hit 1600MHz at 1.35V, and with the same dual-die package tech, they should find their way into 32GB modules. 192GB per socket, anyone?

• leor

can anyone tell me in this case why there are still not 4gb DDR3 DIMMs to be found on newegg?

• MadManOriginal

No one will ever need more than 4GB.

• leor

newegg still isn’t listing any 4gb DDR3 modules yet . . .

• albundy

was gonna say the same. i can barely find anything above 2gb sticks!!! 🙁

• UberGerbil

Yeah, the two socket servers are the imminent Gainestown boards like this:
    §[<http://img.hexus.net/v2/internationalevents/HPC2008/Supermicro-big.jpg<]§ If you're looking forwards to running Windows on one of those as a personal / workstation system, you should be planning to run Windows Server as your OS, because otherwise you'll be tripping over memory limits in the client OS versions. Even plain old single-socket six-DIMM boards will create something of an issue once they start supporting 32GB DIMMs, because as Cyril notes a fully-stuffed system would reach 192GB. Vista's memory limits are 16GB (for Home Premium) and 128GB (for Business/Enterprise/Ultimate). §[<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_vista<]§ I haven't seen any official documentation of limits for Windows 7, and they may be different -- and even if they're the same as Vista initially, Microsoft could easily change them, so that by the time 32GB DIMMS are commonplace (if that happens) an SP has raised the limit to 192GB or 256GB or whatever. But it's still pretty likely you'll need to have the Pro or Ultimate editions, not Home Premium, to get that. Of course this is all speculation about an OS that hasn't shipped and memory that we won't be buying for a couple of years. And mainstream i5 or AM3 systems that most of us buy will top out at four memory slots, which 32GB sticks take to exactly 128GB. And I'll bet the first iteration of boards have limits well below that anyway. But I actually wouldn't be surprised it 32GB DDR3 sticks remain rare, exotic and expensive beasts like 4GB DDR2 sticks are: we're starting out with 4GB DDR3 sticks the way we started with 512MB on DDR2, and eventually we'll be buying 8GB and 16GB the way we have been shopping for 1GB and 2GB in the DDR2 era. As bloated as software may be today, it's still going to be some time before a two-channel i5 mainstream system needs more than 8GB. And that's assuming everybody stops installing 32bit OSes, too.

• Krogoth

Memory limits with client rigs and OS are a non-issue for a while. I honestly doubt anytime soon that we will see 128GiBs in a average joe box. ATM, I find it difficult to see any workstation needing more than 16-32GiB. On the other hand, it may be a different story for servers.

• UberGerbil

Of course. That’s what my second-to-last sentence says.

Then again, I remember when 4GB seemed like a distant limit too.

• paulWTAMU

I remember 8 megs of ram being hot back in the early 90s. Back then I’d have been floored at the thought of 2 gigs 😀

• MadManOriginal

I have a hard drive on the shelf that’s got as much room (GB vs GiB aside) as my current PC has RAM :/

• dextrous

With virtualization, memory densities in servers is very important these days. We have our HP DL380 G5s filled with 4GB DIMMs for “only” 32GB total. 8GB FB-DIMMs are still cost prohibitive, but nearly worth 2x the price per GB.

• ish718

Cmon, bring out the 4GB DDR3 2000 Cas9

• Convert

Nice. My board only supports 12GB though and I already have it filled but it’s not like I needed 12 to being with..

The real news I guess is what is going to happen to existing “normal” configs. If 4-8GB for a system is the norm (for us) I guess prices are going to plummet even further.

• burntham77

Wow, 16 Gb! I only just updated to 8 Gb and I have yet to see it go over 70% ram usage, and that was with some heavy Adobe programs open. I was not even aware Samsung made Ram. Is this their first memory product?

• Big-Mac

Samsung is the biggest RAM chip maker. 🙂

• Lord.Blue

They’ve been making ram (as a module supplier, and not always a source) for years.

• vanishingvision1985

They also are either the largest or one of the largest flash mem makers as well. They are pretty big and scary.

• UberGerbil

It’s likely there’s a Samsung product somewhere in your system. Your LCD display might have a different label on it, but there’s a good chance the panel inside was made by Samsung. Likewise the memory on your video card, or some of the chips on your motherboard. Samsung is one of the few companies that could pretty much assemble a PC entirely from components it sources.

§[<http://www.samsung.com/us/business/semiconductor/corporate_info/CorporateInfo.html?ppmm=1002&ppms=1015&ppam=1015&ppas=<]§

• Faiakes

Does that mean 16GB per single dimm?

If that’s so then YES please! I’ll have everything running in RAMdisk!

• Philldoe

Suddenly my soon to come upgrade to 8Gb of Ram seems puny…

• sonneillon

Im wondering what the cas timings of these are going to be.

• DancingWind

Can current DDR3 mobos handle 1.35V ram?
    I think the minimum is 1.5V or am I wrong?

• CheetoPet

perfect, more headroom for overclocking

• pedro

For some strange reason I /[

• crabjokeman

Start running a few instances of virtualbox 😛

• Sargent Duck

Wow… I really don’t have anything insightful to say, but…that’s a lot of memory. Wonder if Crysis will run on it?

• khands

The correct question here is, can Crysis run /[

• TurtlePerson2

That’d be cool if you could install Crysis to your RAM and run it at RAM speed.

• UberGerbil

With enough RAM and RAMDisk software, you could.

It would still be slow. It’s Crysis.