A quick podcast schedule announcement

Howdy all. Today is Good Friday, so we’re not publishing our full slate of news throughout the day. That’s why it’s a little quiet around here.

I did want to take a second, though, to make an announcement. Normally, right about now, we’d be gearing up to record the podcast, but we won’t have an episode this week. Instead, we’ve decided to ease the podcast back to a new schedule in which we’ll produce two episodes per month. As you know if you’re one of our thousands of listeners, we’ve been producing the show for over a year now, and we’ve been unable to attract a regular sponsor. I believe the show is a good thing for us in many ways and could become a winning business proposition at some point, too. But the audio format is a different animal in this market, and many folks just don’t understand it and aren’t willing to take a risk on sponsoring it, especially in this economy. For the time being, I think it’s best for us to scale back as we weather a tough environment.

So here’s the plan. Our next episode will be on April 24, and after that, we should be producing shows on the second and fourth week of each month. Of course, knowing how things go, we may introduce some flexibility into that schedule as needed, but that’s the basic blueprint. I still think a weekly show is the best possible outcome, so we’ll revisit this if and when we attract enough sponsorship support to make it feasible.

As always, if you happen to know of anyone who might be a good sponsor for the show, feel free to shoot an email to Adam, our biz guy, who would be more than happy to discuss options with any serious prospects.

• Blain

Yet another week with no podcast?
    The wheels are coming off this thing. It’s run it’s course, time to stick a fork in it.
    But to be fair, it had a good run for a year. That’s more than a lot of podcasts can say…

• Hance

Man this sucks I love the TR podcast. I haven’t missed a single one since the begining.

• ssidbroadcast

I have full faith and confidence that Adam and Scott will manage the podcast in an optimal manner, and through perseverance, eventually find the revenue stream that suits the podcast best.

• alex666

Get a soft drink company, one of those high caffeine power drink companies as an advertiser, coke. On a munchie food company, or Toyota even. Someone other than a PC hardware company or vendor, as that brings in conflict of interest problems.

• Pax-UX

IMO, there isn’t enough news in the show. Plus it’s mostly the same content as the website. Don’t get me wrong I liked the shows and will miss a weekly hit of it. But to be honest I keep zoning in and out depending on what’s being discussed. The reason I listen is because of the website, if Tech Report was just a podcast I’d stop listening.

I always fast forward the intro stuff, another poster pointed this out and it’s very true. Your ads needs to be in the connect and not easily by passed. Very few shows on TV start now with the credits they’re right into the action. You start the show the ipod is still in hand; the waffle starts, hit the fast forward button, if the show has a couple of minutes of proper stuff right at the start then the ipod is out of hand and when the intro or ad start people won’t go to the trouble of skipping forward, more short fast ads are better then one long one, for the same reason.

The analysis is very good but there’s not enough of it, considering the length of a show. You should set limits on a subject’s runtime, take a 20 minutes segment of show and make it 10, YouTube has the right idea. Limit people so they have to stay on topic, only go off topic if funny or informative. Look at what was left out, could it have been included if more efficient language was used or is it just waffle.

Spend time in the run up to a show bullet pointing what’s going to happen in each section, ab libbing is easy but makes for slow shows. If you know what needs to be said in advance its easier to cover stuff quicker. Pass the points around so everybody knows what’s happening before hand, keep building this up till show time.

Longer shows aren’t better shows and doesn’t mean more content is covered, as that extra time could be just lots of filler best left on the cutting room floor. The shows intro is too long you need to hit the ground running, I’ve just gotten used to skipping, but a new listen could become bored as it takes a good while to started.

Personally I think you need shorter shows, limit yourself to between 30-45 minutes. Then see how much real information was left out. If you want to do something in-depth make it a special standalone episode.

• glynor

I don’t know… I kind of like a little ramble. I somewhat agree about the beginning of the show, but what I’d cut out are the redundant lists about what we’re going to cover (the “connector” content).

The conversations and discussions are what I listen to it for. The comparisons of different viewpoints about the content that is on the site (the individual articles are inherently “biased” by one author’s particular point of view).

• travbrad

Yeah, I agree. I like that they get so many different viewpoints, and joke around a little bit. If it was just straight dead-serious news with less discussion, that would sort of defeat the whole point of the podcast IMO.

• kamikaziechameleon

i love long shows, if they were four hours long that would be the best, would take days to finish, i prefer the audio format over reading the news ticker every 6 hours.

• Sargent Duck

They do face a big issue with sponsors though.

TR currently has advertisements from computer stores (like NCIX/Newegg) advertising at the top and sides in a passive approach (like they have now). This isn’t that big of a deal. Even if Newegg directly sponsored the podcast, for Jordan to say “This podcast sponsored by Newegg” isn’t a big deal. But what if Intel decided to step in and sponsor the podcast. Then TR really would be in the pocketbook of Intel (ahem* Tom’s Hardware) and Scotts/Geoff’s reputation for honest, fair and integrity would be on the line.

To keep TR free from bias, they’d have to turn down any hardware vendors. Retail shops, like Newegg, would be good, but what if their service suddenly went down the crapper. Somebody gets screwed based on Scott’s/Geoff’s/Jordan’s recommendation that (insert company) was a great place to shop. It’s one thing to say that you’ve had great success when dealing with (insert company) on a forum/blog, but quite another to say (insert company) is great when you’re getting paid.

• Faceless Clock

I sort of saw this coming. I figured that as long as these kept running without a sponsor, you’d have to cut it back eventually.

Its a bummer, because its probably the best hardware podcast around. Just a suggestion – I haven’t seen you ever publish numbers about how many people tune in. If you could promote it in that way, it might help with the sponsor situation.

It’ll be a lot easier when the economy picks up, I’m sure.

• ThorAxe

What a shame. I can’t get enough of Scott’s analysis. He is always clear and concise.

Perhaps a purpose built function for donating to the podcast could help get it back to a weekly show. Maybe even a subscription service?

• clone

I think I mentioned it before and I don’t know if you explored it but if you really want the program to succeed you need more exposure than just at the Tech Report.

if you can get other websites to link it and pick it up it’ll go and reach more markets.

your primary targets should be outside the norm….. websites that aren’t computer dedicated, the shows format makes for great background listening.

also you may want to try and get your show aired on NPR if possible…. a tech dedicated show from their the market should grow by leaps and bounds.

I’m not saying you haven’t tried these things or not considered them just making sure you do in case you hadn’t.

• Fighterpilot

Are you saying it is simply a financial decision to cut back to bi monthly …or is it due to the difficulty in producing an episode every week (as one or two of us mentioned it would be 6 months or so ago)?

• gerryg

Don’t limit yourself to just a single sponsor. You could have a sponsor for each podcast, use a tipjar (this podcast brought to you by ineego, Sargent Duck, and Anonymous Gerbil), or let anybody with a reasonable website to promote buy a spot, and you say the URL (preferrably a bit.ly shortened one, or a twitter username, or what have you) in the podcast. Go social. Go viral.

I highly recommend getting on Twitter and promoting the site, and posting links to the podcast page each time you publish. Post a news article on TR when you guys have handles on there. Have at least one user registered as Tech-Report (preferrably with the dash… ;-), and use that one to notify readers about podcasts and articles. Twitter’s API is open, so shouldn’t be hard to add a push function to send to Twitter.

• stirker_0

hey do you think you guys can give an approximate value for how much donations you guys would need to continue this as a weekly show?

• _Sigma

I would definitely help out if I could.

• Gerbil Jedidiah

What’s stopping you? They take donations all the time;)

• stirker_0

well,
          1. the trouble of attempting to remember my paypal account details
          2. I like to know how much money is still required that way I can approximate how much i *should* be donating
          3 Plain laziness

• Gerbil Jedidiah

If you donate you can get access to the smoky back room.

• stirker_0

accidental duplication

• Gerbil Jedidiah

Where’s the AM3 mobo review promised in the last podcast? Did I miss it?

• eitje

How much does advertising space for your podcast cost?

• Tarx

Roughly how much would it be for sponsorship to bring it back to a weekly format? What about for just one episode?

How many listeners are there? What percentage are from the US/Canada?

• LovermanOwens

You guys at TR have produced a killer podcast so far. Keep up the good work. This new format might be a good idea when you think about it. You will have loads of news, could bring more poeple to talk about events, maybe even have some new segments or something. Remember when one door closes a whole slew of others tend to open up down the road. Keep up the good work and good luck with the search for a sponsor.

• Sargent Duck

Once I start making some serious $$$, I’ll pay for the whole podcast.

Then you guys will have to listen to Jordan say “This podcast was paid for by Sargent Duck, ruler of all and Master of the Universe!!!” every week 🙂

• SecretMaster

Same here. How about we take turns each week being ruler of the universe? Or split rulership 50/50

• Sargent Duck

That sounds fair. Ruling the universe will be a tough job. I could use a vacation every second week.

• GFC

This is a real bummer.. too bad, basically now i’m scre*** up.. :/ Oh well.. g/l with the sponsors, but man.. this is really sad! 😐

• glynor

This makes me sad (the TR podcast is the first one I listen to for the weekly commute, and it is certainly the best one), but I do understand. The most important thing is that the TR itself stays economically viable, so take whatever steps are necessary.

I only wish I had a contact that might be interested in sponsoring!

I made this suggestion before when the Jewelery Store stopped sponsoring the show, but when you do get a sponsor, be sure to structure the ad as part of the content (similar to what Leo Laporte does with the Audible ads) rather than as a “straight ad”. It doesn’t need to be exactly relevant, but since all methods of listening to the podcast are going to provide some way to fast-forward (and most of your listeners are going to probably be used to watching TV via DVR), actually providing “real” content even during the ad is essential.

Otherwise, fingers will drift towards that FF button quite quickly.