Prices for DDR2 memory chips are on the rise

DDR2 memory prices have been incredibly low these past few months, but the trend could finally be reversing, much to the relief of memory makers. DigiTimes reports that prices for fully tested 1Gb DDR2 memory chips went up 7% on April 15 and “soared over 6%” yesterday, ending up at around $1.20. Right now, memory market research firm DRAMeXchange quotes a session average of $1.18 with a high of $1.22.

Is DDR2 RAM just going to keep getting more expensive? Reportedly, DRAMeXchange believes DDR2 contract prices will go up 15-20% between the first and second quarters. DigiTimes also quotes industry sources who say memory manufacturers expect 1Gb DDR2 chips will eventually reach $1.50.

In any case, we might be seeing the impact of this week’s increases already. The 4GB Kingston DDR2-800 memory kit we recommend in our system guide has gone up from $43.99 to $47.49 at Newegg since we published, even though it was sitting comfortably below $40 last week. We’re seeing fewer sub-$40 offerings from other vendors, too.

• barleyguy

If you are upgrading your motherboard, you will likely be moving to DDR3 instead of DDR2. As DDR2 gets more expensive, DDR3 should get cheaper.

• nanoflower

I checked on Newegg last night after reading this article. Prices are cheaper for DDR2 than when I bought my 2GB back in January. Since I’m running XP 2GB is good enough for now. I’ll worry about getting more memory when I finally upgrade to an I7 or whatever is out in a year or two.

• TurtlePerson2

It seems like there’s an article about DDR2 prices increasing every few months. It still seems dirt cheap to me.

• MadManOriginal

Ya if you wait long enough you can possibly resell for the same price you bought it at, making it effectively a rental.

• tay

This is what I was thinking as well.

• CasbahBoy

I picked up a 2GB SO-DIMM of Mushkin DDR3 for $25. Perhaps even more outrageous, I was messing around on Dell’s site yesterday while at work and learned that I can configure a dual-processor quad-core Nehalem Xeon 2U machine with 72GB of memory for a mere $7000.

• Arag0n

Last time i bought DDR2, i placed 8GB on my system because i saw that the price was going to rise soon and i was going to be able to sell them back for the same amount or higher at EBAY later. I tought them as invest not as a bought. So. I guess your point is right. Buy now ram without worry if you really need more or less RAM.

• Hattig

Still insanely cheap.

• albundy

heh, beat me to it. same thing happened to DDR-1.

• MadManOriginal

DDR2 is on the way out. If you haven’t bought any that you needed over the last, oh, YEAR when it was ubercheap then you probably don’t need to bother. I suppose it will be a factor in new builds but still relatively minor. 20% of $50 is only $10.

• Sargent Duck

Glad I picked up another 2GB in February…

• just brew it!

The $10/GB range where things have been hovering lately was insanely low. I stocked up. Maybe I should order a few more DIMMs before prices go back to normal levels…

Share this post with your friends!