Microsoft: Vista service pack 2 goes gold

The rumor mill has spit out a number of tidbits about the release schedule for Windows Vista’s second service pack lately, but we’d heard very little in the way of official news. Well, Microsoft has now remedied that. Company blogger Brandon LeBlanc wrote a long post on the Windows Vista Team Blog to say Vista SP2 has hit release-to-manufacturing status.

That means the software is complete, and Microsoft is effectively just waiting to unleash it upon the public. LeBlanc doesn’t mention a precise release time frame, though—he just says the software will be out some time this quarter. (Recent reports suggest the service pack may launch at the TechEd 2009 conference in mid-May.) To make the roll-out process easier for enterprise IT staff, Microsoft will provide a single installer for both Vista SP2 and Windows Server 2008 SP2.

We already detailed the list of changes in the upcoming service pack last year. LeBlanc also links a recently updated TechNet document that contains more information—like word of full support for Via’s 64-bit processors and application compatibility improvements.

• jstern

Too bad I decided to finally install Windows 7 on my MacBook. No audio yet. I was starting to miss my Vista install, because it was set up just right, but I’m starting to get use to it. I hardly use OSX, probably like once every 2 months. It’s not flexible enough, considering there’s nothing I can’t do with years of experience with Windows.

• danieldasilva

What’s the point of buying a MacBook if you mainly use Windows? Doesn’t it defeat the purpose? You could’ve bought a similarly powered PC laptop for less money. Just an opinion.

• designerfx

Hey, people are entitled to pay extra. Let’s not try to make fun of them for the right to do so.

I mean what’s wrong with paying $2300 for what everyone else gets for $1500/less? Who needs an optical drive? 😉

• NeXus 6

$2300 gets you ‘Macolyte’ status. But, sooner or later they discover that Macs aren’t all that great, then they feel like a complete fool and eventually go back to using a real, more affordable computer.

Sound like someone you know?

• jstern

I just read this, funny. I bought a regular macbook, and it was much more powerful than anything I had ever use. It still is, so in a way I don’t feel cheated. Window 7 looks amazing on my Dell 24″.

• shank15217

Thats the thing with new computer technology, its faster than what you used before usually.

• jstern

I wanted to try something new, knowing that if I didn’t like it, at least I can install Windows on it. It was mainly out curiosity. Also, my former powerful laptop was looked down by others, who couldn’t care less about how powerful it was when I 1st got it, so I felt that spending extra on something that at least looks good once more powerful hardware comes was worth the extra money. I know I sound stupid for saying that, but since I don’t have a lot of money, it’s best to invest on something that looks good that I’ll have for the next 5 years. As a Windows user, using OSX will only slow me down on things that I can quickly do on Windows, and I don’t buy into that Apple line of, “It just works.” It has made me appreciate Windows a lot more.

• ClickClick5

When should we see the OEM discs carrying SP2?
    The time frame for this and W7 is important.

• Jakubgt

Who cares.
    Windows 7 is right around the corner

• thecoldanddarkone

I care, I’ll buy windows 7 for my laptop when the time comes, but for my desktop it’ll stay Vista until I have disposable cash.

• StashTheVampede

Be thankful that Vista SP2 went RTM — it helps define the gold bits that go into Windows 7.

• Krogoth

Nice, Windows 95 OSR2 2.0 is out. XD

Edit: I sincerely hope that is fixes the well-known networking performance-related issues.

• bcronce

I’m rarely prompted by Vista for anything. Not sure about all your extra clicking. QQ

As for other posts and memory usuage on Vista64, I have 4gb of ram and can spyware scan/defrag/virus scan/have Chrome with 20+ youtube tabs eating over 1GB of ram and playing WoW with no issues. This is just some PoS $800 Dell

• End User

A developer friend of mine just checked and all he saw was Vista SP2 RC. Can anyone else check?

• gml_josea

Hello? The news said SP2 went gold, not that it was released.

• End User

I beg your humble forgiveness your Royal All Knowingness. :/

• hubick

I wonder if installing SP2 will mean my second and third SATA hard drives in my PVR will go back to showing up after the box resumes from sleep?

• Krogoth

It sounds like a controller driver-related issue.

• eitje

I don’t have this problem in Vista SP1.

you probably also don’t have the same hardware config. Probably a buggy driver, not Vista itself.

• bcronce

Vista: My experience has only been with SP1, not pre.

I just had to get a new comp and the only way to really use my quadcore i7 was to have Vista. i am strangely surprised with how stable/peppy it has been. I have 4gb of ram and I enabled SuperFetch on my crappy 4.5MB/sec flash drive and it has made it so instead of my video games pausing to load large content from the HD, to just stuttering with a low FPS until all the content gets loaded to memory.

I have gone from pessimist to neutral.

• flip-mode

Not a very exciting service pack.

• nerdrage

I know this is TechReport and all… but is there such a thing as an exciting service pack? 😉

• 5150

Vista SP1

• Mithent

Not sure if I’d say that was an exciting service pack; most of the changes had already been made in previous hotfixes, and it didn’t really transform the OS in the way that some claim – that was a cumulative thing and SP1 was a line in the sand.

I started using Vista in the December after it was released, and by then most of the important patches were already out. Therefore I didn’t really see much difference between fully-patched Vista as I first used it and Vista SP1.

XP SP2 was, on the other hand, the most dramatic service pack we’ve seen. That added in numerous new features, unusually.

• thecoldanddarkone

Yes, most of those patches you could install seperately but they weren’t pushed until sp1. That means that the general public didn’t install those patches until they installed sp1.

• PRIME1

The turd polishing continues!

• Kunikos

I find that the only people who say shit like this are those who have near-zero experience with Vista in its current form (SP1).

• LovermanOwens

Agreed. Vista isn’t bad at all. Alot of the bad rap that it got in the beginning didn’t really have much to do with MS anyway. Oh well. They are constantly improving this version of Windows, and getting the next one ready for retail. Go MS!!!

• achaycock

I’m inclined to agree with you there. I’ve recently switched to Vista 64 bit and although there have been aspects I haven’t liked and the memory usage absolutely horrifies me, I have found more to like than otherwise.

• Sargent Duck

Same here, I jumped to Vista 64bit after SP1 came out. Other than the high ram usage, I don’t have a problem with it at all. Going back to XP seems archaic now…

• cygnus1

I found the memory usage disturbing at first too. Then I realized having free memory doesn’t make things faster. Using that memory to cache things does though.

I find that on modern hardware, Vista will blow away XP in performance. Maybe not in benchmark-able ways, but Vista sure as hell feels way faster than XP. When 4 GB of ram costs less than $50, there’s absolutely no reason not to have 4+ GB in a system.

And for a fresh install, after a month of usage, Vista will be slightly faster too, as it’s learned what to cache.

• indeego

/[< Then I realized having free memory doesn't make things faster. Using that memory to cache things does though.<]/ Benchmarks pretty much show little difference in most userland apps with the caching algorithm[s] Vista introduced. Readyboost itself is a bust. /[

• Swollen_Goat

Too much extra clicking is the only reason I hate Vista. 3 extra clicks on average to access the same feature on XP. Plus media player 11 sucks.
          I’ll check out the next W7 RC as I hear improvements have been made.

• indeego

Just keep your left hand over alt+c or Alt+a g{<;<}gP

• Meadows

Strange, I usually require less time on average to do the same that I would on XP.

Are you sure you don’t have a medical condition?

• Zarf

Same here, especially since I just use the Start Menu’s search box. I hit [Win] + The name of whatever function I’m trying to access. WAY faster.

[Win] + perf finds me Perfmon, where in XP I’d have to hit [Alt] + [R] + perfmon in order to get it. And if the program you want to run didn’t ship with XP, or it didn’t make a Run menu entry, you had to navigate to it using the mouse.

People complain about the Network and Sharing Center replacing the Network Places window. In reality, every Explorer window has your network computers listed, replacing the need for a Network Places window. I understand the complaints, that window was super handy and now it’s gone, but it’s been replaced by something better. Albeit slightly confusing at first.

• flip-mode

Some things do take more clicks. Network Connections is one of them and it drives me crazy that it takes so many clicks to get there. And typing into the search field does not return Network Connections as a result, even after typing the entire thing. That’s just one example, the only one I can think of off the top of my head. But the search feature is fantastic for everything that it does find.

• slickdoody

I’ve been using Vista on my work machine every day for about a year now – and while I certainly don’t think it’s a turd, i also don’t find that it offers any substantial business benefit vs. XP.

• flip-mode

There is pretty much truth to that. But there is little that can be done at this point without some sort of radical innovation. Windows Explorer can only get so good without employing an entirely new concept.

• ClickClick5

Vista handles threading MUCH better then XP under heavy loads. A dual core proc will run differently under XP and Vista.

• MattMojo

You obviously are not a server/network admin. Vista under the hood has numerous advantages over XP — to numerous to list; but one big enhancement –> better goup policy — which is more than enough reason to switch (for business) ….. now, after saying that, I would probably wait until Windows 7 is released (since it is close) before I would consider doing a mass roll out.

• burntham77

Indeed. I have four PCs in my house with Vista, and I can assure you it is a good OS. The most trouble I had was having to track down a custom patch for Spellforce 2 to get it to work. Just get 4 gigs of memory if you use the 64-bit version.

Apparently a lot of the early issues with the OS were bad Nvidia drivers, according to some articles I read awhile back. But since I use AMD/ATI hardware, I did not see those issues.

• ClickClick5

Then the W7 turd went through a rock polisher.

• Meadows

And some diamond dust chisels, by the sound of Prime1.

• NeXus 6

Just like XP back in the day!

• Kraft75

History repeats itself… I’m sure they’ll WinME over with W7. 🙂

• ClickClick5

But there is too much Vista going around right now. (Swine flu, lol) Microsoft hyped Vista and got people to purchase it as well, buy new comps with it installed. Yeah, there is still A LOT more XP then Vista, but for MS to just drop Vista is not a good move on their part. W7 is Vista SP3.
        I’m going to go from Vista to W8. My Vista is fine tuned right now! 🙂

• Krogoth

No, Vista is Windows 95 2.0 .

Windows ME was a stop-gap product that was abandoned when the real deal came around (XP).

• SomeOtherGeek

Still funny even if it is wrong.

BTW, OS X sucks!

• Meadows

Every OS sucks.
        Look it up on youtube if you dare.

• bdwilcox

Slipstreamable?

• kiwik

SP1 was slipstreamable, but it became a Home Premium only disk if you slipstreamed using HP, so it wasn’t that useful for system builders.

But it can be done, yeah.

• VaultDweller

I think he’s making a (bad) joke about Windows 7 being Vista SP2.

{Edit} This was intended as a reply to #3 (Meadows)

• VaultDweller

Supposedly it’s on MSDN already. I’ll be checking that when I get home and downloading if it’s there.

• Meadows

It is. Was in ye olde shortbread.

• Krogoth

It is also in other gray-area channels if you know were to look. That is only if you do not have MSDN-access. 😉

• indeego

Many birdies check those channels first before msdn nowg{<.<}g

• VaultDweller

I think I’ve already downloaded it form “gray” channels (my download activity is all pretty automated, so I’d have to check).

However, I do have legitimate MSDN access and prefer to get things with that. I don’t see SP2 RTM on MSDN – the latest I see is the RC. The only files added to MSDN in the last few days are for Office.

• 5150

Same here.

• Shinare

I’m not seeing it either, just RC’s and betas. Interestingly enough the things added yesterday for vista x64 are labeled as SP2 “Beta”. Things added last month are labeled “RC”… *shrug*

• UberGerbil

I wonder how long it will be before those gray channels start getting seeded with pre-exploited service packs, all to better spread the botnets….

• ClickClick5

Exactly why I don’t download OSs or updates of any type. Period.

you mean “any OSs or system updates of any type from those places”

Unless you really mean you’re still running the RTM version of whatever OS you’re on.

• DreadCthulhu

Windows 7 is coming out that quickly? They haven’t even done the RC yet. 😉

• Meadows

This has pretty little to do with W7 RC.

• Mystic-G

I suspect he was using sarcasm.

• flip-mode

Don’t be so obtuse.

Trying to be acute?

• mikehodges2

I think he was right. Angle.

• Meadows

Sorry, but I can’t appreciate his comment, because the first element of humour is truth.

• ludi

I believe the second element is irony.

• flip-mode