Net Applications: Linux reaches 1% client usage share

The number of folks running Linux as a client OS has risen dramatically over the past year, according to the latest figures from Net Applications. The market research firm has announced on its website that, "Linux usage share on client devices has surpassed 1% for the first time in our tracking."

Net Applications estimates that Linux now accounts for 1.02% of client systems on the web, compared to 9.73% for Mac OS and 87.9% for Windows. (In case you’re wondering, the same data shows Vista has a usage share of just 23.9%.) A year ago, Net Applications pinned Linux’s usage share at 0.68%, with Mac OS sitting just below 8% and Windows slightly over 91%.

One percent ain’t much, but still—Linux usage share has apparently grown by about 50% over the past 12 months. Much of that growth probably has to do with the emergence of Linux distributions as low-cost alternatives to Windows on netbooks and some pre-built PCs. If you’ll recall, Dell started pre-loading Ubuntu Linux on some of its PCs almost two years ago, and it continues to do so (albeit with the older 8.04 release).

• Shinare

I wonder if VM has anything to do with this as well. 6 months ago I wouldn’t have touched linux with a 10 meter cattle prod. But with VirtualBox I’ve got the latest Ubuntu loaded and am playing around with it, knowing that with just a click of the mouse it’s gone if I get too frustrated with it. No fuss no muss. 🙂

• robsku

I predict that it wont take long until you have found applications in Linux to most (if not all) things you need computer for. At that point you might want to switch into using Linux as your main operating system and running VirtualBox on that to run any necessary (or just fun) windows applications that you just cant/dont want to give up (of course if they work with wine, cedega or crossover office you wont need windows at all, that’s how I have been for some years now).
      It makes more sense anyway, considering the stability and security, to run Windows in VM and Linux as the main OS 🙂

• wingless

I always keep a spare hard drive with Linux installed for emergencies. Even when Linux fails it still work LOL. I will be the first to say though, it is a pain in the rear to ‘power’ use.

Last year when my WD Raptor spun a bearing and threw a rod out the side of the engine block, I had to use Linux for 4 months. My IQ increaseda whole two points from my previous 138 to 140. It made me a genius, but also increased my blood pressure. I lost a few years of my lifespan dealing with it.

I have nothing but respect for those 1.02% of internet users.

• tay

hilarious post. I <3 Loonix and I agree with you fully even though I use it daily and administer servers.

• pogsnet
      • Jigar

Thanks for the laugh… I really needed it..

• MadManOriginal

It’s best to keep Raptors in an electrified cage, especially when running a *nux system. Just ask Dennis Nedry.

• bowman

1 percent isnt much in the big scheme of things but its still quite a lot of people.

• stmok

That’s 1% achieved *[

• d2brothe

No, just a million geeks everywhere proclaiming that windows will soon fall to Linux.

• Waco

It must be nice to be so ignorant.

• stmok

No, Windows won’t fall to Linux.

And those numbers are based on people using Linux as a desktop. (Numbers are created from reading the user-agent of a browser to identify the system you’re using).

Linux should define itself based on its own merits.

• adisor19

I think this also takes into account Linux powered mobile devices like the G1 Android phone which would explain the sudden rise in popularity.

Adi

• BobbinThreadbare

Android is counted separately. If you click the link, it has a nice pie chart.

• dpaus

It also show iPhone users separately at 0.55%. I wonder how they’re going to count the Linux-based Palm Pre, which launches soon and is expected to ship a million or so units in the first several months. That might bump the overall Linux numbers up perceptively.

• d2brothe

I assume they would count it separately like all the other smart phones so far.

• Hattig

Personally it should be on client desktop interface. Linux out. Gnome in. KDE in. Then Palm’s custom interface for the Pre would be counted separately as is Android’s.

• flip-mode

Either the number of people using has risen or the geeks running linux have build additional boxen.

• BobbinThreadbare

I got my mom to switch almost completely to linux. She is definitely not a gee. However, I did this months ago.

• WillBach

I got my mother set up with an iMac about a year ago. I probably would have chosen linux for her but I just don’t know enough to do proper support for her. She mostly uses it for email and ebay. Every once in a while she has problems with ‘fox fire’ but it’s treated her well.

*sigh*

Fox fire. Oh well…

• pedro

Same here. Mum has been running Ubuntu exclusively for close to half a year now. She loves it.

If all you do is read emails, do some surfing and type documents, why wouldn’t you?

• clone

I installed a pre built Ubuntu variant on my older Socket A 1900+, with 512mb ram, 40gb hdd, Radeon 7500 32mb video and Soundblaster 5.1.

once installed it had all of the drivers….. I started laughing as I’d expected more pain but instead I was surfing the web after the first post.

now it’s just a matter of finding the right media players and at that point it’ll be a great backup system.

I’m planning on installing it on an X2 dual core platform next and if it goes well I’ll likely stop running my Vista box on the web save for gaming.

• dpaus

Happy Mother’s Day, Mom! Here’s a spanking new copy of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, server edition, and multi-CPU!! I love you!