Poll: How will Windows 7 compare?

The positive hype surrounding Windows 7 seems almost as fervent as the negative reactions to Vista. Apparently, Microsoft’s next operating system will fix all of Vista’s ills with improved performance, less bloat, and better polish, finally giving Redmond an OS to be proud of again. What’s not to like?

Dissenters are keen to point out that Windows 7 still shares much of Vista’s code, and it probably won’t do much to resolve compatibility snags with older software and hardware. The short testing cycle might also leave too many bugs and security flaws unresolved in the retail release. Some even say Mac OS X and Linux are already superior solutions, and they’ll only get better by the time Windows 7 is out.

What’s your take? Many of you have probably had a chance to try the Windows 7 beta or release candidate already, which should make a comparison with other operating systems straightforward. Is Windows 7 shaping up to be the best Windows release—or perhaps the best OS—ever? Will it be another Vista? Cast your vote in our poll either below or on the front page.

Our last poll was about the user experience provided by Intel’s Atom CPU. Based on 2,894 votes, the results are pretty clear: folks who haven’t used an Atom-based system are more likely to expect a bad experience (27%) than a good one (15%). Among those who have used an Atom PC, however, more say they’ve enjoyed it (23%) than found it inadequate (20%). Another example of negative hype, perhaps?

• Vrock

Alright, who called all six Linux geeks and had them vote 179 times using different IP addresses? Come on, we’re on to you…own up.

• alex666

I’ve used the 32-bit beta and now the most recent 32-bit RC. Oddly enough, the beta had drivers for my Turtle Beach C-Media based audio card, but the RC does not. That is very frustrating. I also tried the RC 64-bit version, and I could not get program shortcut icons to attach to the taskbar, though I have no problem with the 32-bit version. The RC still loads pretty quickly, programs start quickly, and I was amazed at how fast it installed. Finally, after all these years, one would think that MS could create a genuinely helpful “Help” module. But the Help section still sucks IMHO. I can’t recall MS ever creating an intuitive and easy-to-use Help menu. Incredible.

All in all,the audio drivers notwithstanding, W7 is still looking like a winner.

• 5150

WINDOWS SERVER 2008 AS A WORKSTATION!

Yes, it needs to be yelled. Can’t wait for R2.

• AntiOmni

you guys are all saps for voting 7, it is basically going to only suck less than vista, but not by much. Take the time to read what those in the actual industry have to say, and not what microsoft claims. You are all just little $heep that go jacking off to the next new thing that is tossed your way.

• sweatshopking

lol nice ol’ post there my man… have you used 7? what os do you think is better? linux is great, but not as easy or pretty as 7

• Xenolith

I voted for CowboyNealOS

• danieldasilva

BeOS? Is this poll serious?

• FubbHead

Much of BeOS was very high-tech, perhaps more so than eg. Windows XP. Sadly, it never caught on and fell into oblivion, and you can only hope Microsoft didn’t have too much to do with it, outside being legally competative.

• PenGun

I have the RC on my lappy with Debian and so far it has not upset me. Amazing!

• Unckmania

I have my hopes up for 7. Mainly because it’s my logical next step and i hope it turns out great. I haven’t tried OSX with enough time to decide, and Linux is on a dead end as long as the console is needed for almost anything serious.

• potatochobit

one thing about Windows7 is it seems a whole lot like using a macintosh.
    I have been using the beta off and on and now have the installed the RC.
    MAC has built in software called spaces and using windows7 feels very similar. I will be getting windows7 immediately but I will still keep XP around due to driver issues, which was the original reason I never opted to go to vista. However, I should note that windows7 seems to be able to use XP and Vista drivers easily with only a few minor flaws which is one reason I love it so much.

• albundy

Time spent on using an OS: 0.001%
    Time spent using applications: 99.999%

If Directx wasn’t being used by games, i’d use linux hands down. then again, I couldnt care less about any OS.

• grantmeaname

Wow, this poll is a really good sign for Linux (as far as enthusiasts are concerned). More votes than XP, Vista, or OS X!

• blastdoor

I voted OSX.

Seems like if BEOS is listed as an option then OS/2 should be there, too…

• fantastic

I voted for Windows 7. I have RC(1) on my HTPC right now. I’ll probably revert to Vista in a week or so. Just testing it out.

• jonybiskit

Can’t wait for the podcast for the “Why?” one the results of this thread.

• SGT Lindy

WTF no Snow Leopard yet three versions of Windows???? SL will probably be official before 7.

I think it’s mostly a single option because people generally don’t pine for the “good old days” of 10.1.

Although alot of graybeards DO pine for the good old days of OS 9. Eek.

• sreams

OSX is OSX. Snow leopard is just the latest service pack. We may as well include WinXP, and WinXP SP1, SP2, and SP3. Pointless. The only logical Apple OS to add in addition would be OS9.

While your reasoning sucks a big ol’ fatty, I agree with the conclusion. Next time, try to get there in a proper and orderly fashion.

• nagashi

Full time linux user here.

1) Linux
    2) OSX
    3) win7
    4) XP

I use win7 in virtualbox and it’s definitely impressed me a LOT, but I don’t see myself ever switching back. I’m far far more likely to suck it up and buy a mac, or go with a hackintosh than to ever run an ms os full time again.

That being said, I think it’s already the best version of windows ever. I’d totally use their taskbar if an equivalent was available under linux, and the gnome app menu is seriously handicapped compared to win7 IMO. That said, it’s hard to compare to the depth of configurability that compiz gives you. All of em have advantages/disadvantages, but linux still comes out on top for me.

• Obsidian

Wow, I did not think there would be THAT much hype for Windows 7. Well I actually voted for Vista because I’m happy with it. Windows 7 will inevitably have problems at launch so I’ll probably wait at least a few months before upgrading. I can see how Mac OSX and Linux could get a lot of votes but Vista should definitely have more and Windows 7 shouldn’t have nearly as many votes. I believe Windows 7 will be an improvement over Vista but not right away.

• pedro

I gotta say, as a user of Linux & OS X, Win7 RC is a very smooth looking & running piece of free software! (Yes I know it expires in 13 months.)

If they make it relatively cheap when the time comes, it’ll be a great choice for most people.

I’ll still be using OS X on my laptop and Linux on my file server/desktop mind you (I don’t game), but for the rest of my family (who I’ve slowly converted to Linux over the past couple of years) it seems like Win7 RC is the way to go for the next year at least.

Canonical have to really polish the hell out of Ubuntu in this time I feel (and I ackowledge it’s already a pretty well polished piece of OS/apps). The bar has been set high.

• Traz

I voted for Linux mostly because it’s free and I’m a cheap bastard.

• swaaye

Frankly I still think that XP is the “best” choice for most people because you can do just about anything imagineable with it. To put it another way, most people won’t run into limitations with it for their day to day needs. It has the marketshare, established software / hardware support from most of this decade, and the industry is definitely still behind it.

My experience with 7 so far feels like a “new look & feel” Vista with some nice changes and some changes I have to consider yet. Sure wouldn’t vote it as best at this point because it isn’t proven by any measure.

Vista is not really best for anything other than DX10 gaming. It’s not bad though unless you try to run it on hardware that can’t handle it’s weight. Hardware that is perfectly capable of being used productively with another OS…..

Linux is very “narrow minded” in its usability as a desktop OS. Good in the right situation but so are most other OSs.

• PRIME1

It better work, I’m not sure how much longer MS can keep extending XP for. They already are going to keep selling it into 2010 due to the epic failure that is Vista + Netbook.

Here’s hoping Linux takes over the world.

• Grigory

“Here’s hoping Linux takes over the world.”

Just give it a couple of decades. Who knows what crazy things might happen. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Meadows

Yeah, because your employer can really let GT200 chips, DirectX 10 (and above) and PhysX shine under Linux.

I think you have a mental conflict unfolding here.

• PRIME1

With Windows gone, DirectX can go into the proprietary turd bin with it.

OpenGL will simply and easily replace it.

• Pettytheft

Wow, DirectX is one of the better things that happened to PC gaming.

• grantmeaname

how do you figure?

• indeego

It vastly eased development for gaming/multimedia on the Windows platformg{<.<}g

• Pettytheft

It also actually made steady improvements. OpenGL was mired in committees and it got stagnant. Things have started to move forward but it’s too little too late.

Chalk up another company/standard/program or whatever that underestimated Microsoft. People used to laugh at DirectX, it was horrible in the beginning.

• d0g_p00p

Epic failure? hardly. MS saw that Linux would dominate this area unless they stepped in. Now look at all the current netbooks, MS dominates the OS market on these devices.

Epic failure? far from it

• psyclone

I don’t start my computer up each day to run an OS. It is ALL about applications and how well the OS either facilitates or hinders my use of said applications. Vista pre-SP1 was a HUGE hindrance in running applications, if Win 7 can let me use the full power of my computer (64 bit to use all that cheap memory) to run my applications without getting in the way then it’s going to win the OS race as Apple and Linux still LOSE the Applications Competition. And spare me Mac fanboys that you can find “most” types of applications on a Mac, the choice is limited or non-existent in many specialized areas.

• elmopuddy

I’m far more impressed with Ubuntu 9.04 than Windows 7.

• Ricardo Dawkins

The best: DOS 6.22 with Windows for Workgroups 3.11 ๐Ÿ˜›

• XaiaX

Oh, snap.

Damn, I miss Br[

• Synchromesh

I’ll keep XP x64 for as long as I can play newest games on it. Best OS so far. Linux/MacOS are close second.

• Meadows

I’d say XP 64 is one of the worst choices anyone could ever make.

• blubje

depends if you have driver issues with it. linux ftw

• Jypster

XP x64 for me as well. Gone back to it after trying the Win7 beta for a bit.

• tray56

I used to use XP x64, but Win7 x64 kicks it out of the park for me. Everything is just smoother and no driver issues with the RC1 release.

• matic

Voted for Linux; as time passes the more I consider Linux the best choice for desktop and Windows as a specific software environment to run specific software (games and CAD mainly).

• indeego

WTF does “best” mean?

I use almost all those OS’s, and each one has its +/-g{<.<}g

• Buzzard44

I’m with you all the way.

I didn’t vote because I can’t decide how to interpret “best”. I like my XP, but I use Linux when it’s better suited for the task at hand, and Vista and 7 have more (modern) drivers than XP (i.e. SATA driver, etc.).

Vista definitely doesn’t get my vote, because it it just 7 with a more annoying UAC and slightly greater RAM usage (at least that’s my observations).

• indeego

I just checked my 7 install and RAM use is just about where Vista’s was for my typical load of running appsg{<.<}g

• willyolio

then i guess “best” means the one with the most + and least -.

• indeego

Wait so how do I weigh Linux’s superior networking stack to 7’s superior power management? Or how OSX may reduce support calls, but XP can run far, far more apps that get stuff done and require less training for my usersg{

• Trymor

It depends if you are answering for yourself or ‘Joe Shmoe’ home user.

• indeego

I admin Windows and Linux boxes at work and use at home. I test every Windows OS release and evaluate for home/work users. I run Linux on the border, but I push OSX to people I no longer want to bother me for support.

Anyway, the question could have a different answer depending on my periodg{<.<}g

• SomeOtherGeek

Ditto… I use just about everything. Not OS X and never will cuz I have no reason to. Linux for workstation with Windows XP VM. Vista for play. Win7 for testing. “Best” is relative…

• Jambe

I’m with you on this; I voted W7 because it’ll likely be my “de facto” OS, but I’ll continue to use Linux and OS X frequently.

The poll is poorly constructed if not totally meaningless.

Then you’re in a position to vote for which one you prefer. This isn’t rocket science. Unless your question was rhetorical, that is.

• Krogoth

It depends entirely what the user wants.

*nix still offers the best in choice.

XP is dated and will show it more as time progresses.

Vista is superior to XP in most aspects. However, 7 will supersede it for all intends and purposes. 7 itself is just a big bugfix and refinement of Vista.

Mac OS X will have the best UI. It is still a shame that it is tied to a semi-proprietary hardware platform.

• PeterD

XP dated? Why?
      Lots of people say that XP is dated, but it seems to me that the only reason is the pure chronological fact that it’s older than eg Vista.
      If it does the job, there is no reason to call it dated.

• [SDG]Mantis

Well, one of XP’s real weaknesses is recovering from sleep. I’ve not used Vista on a laptop, so I don’t know how well it does. But with OS X or Linux, I can sleep and recover my laptop multiple times for days or even weeks. XP usually crashes withing 1-3 sleep recoveries. (In other words, daily.)

• Krogoth

It is 32-bit. In other words, it cannot handle memory capacities greater than 2GiB (3GiBs with a toggle in boot.ini). The I/O portion was designed with HDDs in mind not SSDs which are becoming more popular. XP’s build-in security model is very flawed. There is no EFI support. FYI, EFI support will become important once volumes greater than 2TiBs become more commonplace. The list will continue to grow as companies begin to move away from XP.

• Kougar

Just because XP does the job doesn’t mean it’s therefore not dated.

It doesn’t recognize SSDs, it’s a drive agnostic OS. There are a dozen ways it is unoptimized for SSDs, anything from what sector it starts an install on to how it optimizes and caches drive I/O and more. XP does not support AHCI natively. XP lacks DX10 and soon DX11. XP lacks a 64bit version that is useable… XP 64bit is the worst OS out of the entire list in the poll because of driver support and compatibility issues.

XP uses a codebase written when 56K modems were becoming the norm (pre-2001 code) and the networking stack reflects that. It doesn’t natively support IPv6. It isn’t optimized for high networking traffic overhead of today’s emerging broadband speeds despite SP2’s efforts. It isn’t as optimized for multicore systems. In most situations RAM beyond 3GB will go unused, and in all situations RAM beyond 4GB can’t be utilized anyway.

Vista may be a clunker but the interface allows better (ie more efficient) navigation than XP’s through additions such as breadcrumbs. Sure tools exist to convert XP’s user interface into a twin of Window 7’s, but it’s just one more thing in a growing list I’d have to modify on XP. The OS itself is more modular, IE is now able to be uninstalled from the system, and users can add or remove other parts of the OS smoothly.

Vista offers a bidirectional firewall, XP doesn’t. Windows 7 (finally) incorporates a modified GDI display system that is designed to finally remove the GDI bottleneck and was optimized for GDI concurrency. Vista and W7’s lack of a HAL layer makes them much friendlier for disk imaging across drives or computers. The removal of the HAL layer also greatly improved stability especially in regards to sound drivers in my experience.

The fact is W7 can make use of modern desktop’s power much better than XP can. It’s not perfect, (disk transfers or network file transfers for example) but I believe it is a better choice. It’s also proved more stable and requires fewer restarts than XP does from my experience.

Edit: This was meant to be in reply to PeterD’s post.

• Meadows

I think something’s wrong with your input methods because every time you type an apostrophe, some cursed string of hieroglyphs appears instead.

• [TR]

He was probably using Windows 7

J/K ๐Ÿ˜€

• MadManOriginal

You need to fix your ๏ฟฝ&#8364;&#8482; apostrophe key.

• maxxcool

agree 100%

linux is best if you know what your doing… after all you can include or remove any feature, any app, any driver.

winxp is still great for laptops, it will has the best driver and application support

vista is better, but it shows Microsoft’s faults in trying to be the end all in OS’s

2008 is what vista should have been

windows 7 is a improvement on windows server 2008 and will be the next “XP” in 1 or 2 years time.

and windows 98 will still be the best OS for nostalgia and “Remember when stories”

๐Ÿ˜‰

The best desktop OS will be one that

a) supports more than 4GB of RAM without complications
      b) runs everything, including legacy crap without fuss.
      c) doesn’t take the user for an idiot.

Hi, can I have a 64-bit windows 3.1 with DX10, network security and proper driver support?

๐Ÿ˜›

• Meadows

You’re describing the finished version of Windows 7.

• Krogoth

OP said “native” support for legacy applications. Windows 7 only does that with virtualization and emulation.

I do get your point though. ๐Ÿ˜‰

No, he didn’t.

• Krogoth

That will never happen, until the day pigs fly.

x86-64 standard gets rid all of the clunky, old registers and code that x86 standard contained. These registers were used in all 16-bit applications. That is why you need to emulate/virtualize 16-bit applications in x86-64 environments.

• Cova

Quoted right out of the original article…

q[

• willyolio

wow. congratulations. you figured it out. windows 7 is nothing more than Vista upgraded.

you already admitted it- the negative hype around vista was nothing more than hype. so how do you sell what is essentially the same product and get rid of the hype? release it as a new product (while fixing the major complaints, of course).

you call vista a “failure” while at the same time admitting that hype, not poor quality, was the reason for failure.

• Cova

No…, I said the positive hype around Win7 is just hype – thereby taking away the only positive thing about Win7, that being its hype. I never mentioned negative hype about Win7 or Vista, though the snip I quoted did refer to negative *[

• willyolio

your only point was that windows 7 is essentially based on Vista.
          everybody already knows that.
          nobody cares.

you see, you seem to be firmly entrenched in the idea that Vista is the devil, and since 7 is based on vista, it must also be the devil, and nobody realizes it.

the actual fact is that vista is a decent OS, windows 7 improves on it, and by most accounts windows 7 is an excellent product.

on the Server side, where product purchases aren’t based hype and public opinion, there isn’t any need to give a new name.

• MadManOriginal

Go have a cryfest with the other Linux zealots, meanwhile back in the desktop OS real world most people will be happy with Win7.

• stmok

We don’t need to cry…We’re happy with what we’ve got.

Crying are for those who never stop paying.

And paying…

And paying…

And paying…

…Not to *[

• Meadows

Some people have a family to feed, you know. Linux people are just modern communists.

• ludi

I think Windows 7 will be the best current OS for the same reason XP was:

— The major bugs and third-party driver teething problems will have been mostly flushed out in previous related platform iterations.

— The previous popular platform is becoming increasingly obsolete in some respects.

• clone

how are we supposed to know not having used Windows 7?

sometimes these polls need a little time before they offer up the poll.

• XaiaX

You’re assuming the poll is measuring what he says it’s measuring.

Never tell people what you’re actually trying to figure out, they will look for what they think is the right answer, instead of giving an honest one.

• Meadows

You don’t have to go forward in time and use Windows 7 to answer this poll, despite your attempts at poking it.

• clone

don’t offer up a lack of insight into my motives Meadows, I don’t ask for it nor am I interested in your typical sans brilliance.

truth being mentioned isn’t a poke.

p.s. XaiaX I assume the author of the poll is looking to measure overall perception & expectation.

it’s still trivial / worthless regardless.

• indeego

Other than minor bugfixes and tweaks to documentation and driver databases, the RC of 7 is very close to how it will likely appear on releaseg{<.<}g

• clone

I’ll be using Windows 7 soon I’ve just run out of space on my current drive and if I’m going to use a different computer I want to give Windows 7 a fair chance so no single core platforms…. it’ll have to be a dual core but I’ve none laying around, got lucky and sold all of my inventory save the single core used platforms that were in stock…. I’m awaiting for an impending order to fill the gap but not ready yet is all.

• PeterD

Good question!
      A better poll would be: how much has the hype around W7 influenced your feelings that W7 will make up for the failer of Vista?

• ManAtVista

Vista sold 75% more than MS anticipated, so that’s a strange definition of ‘failer’ you have there.

• bthylafh

Best for what? I’m still going to dual-boot between $WINDOWS and Ubuntu.

• Left_SHifted

same here, voted for linux, using dual boot windows vista/7 rc and ubuntu 9.04.

as time goes by, i believe it will be inevitable for closed source to keep an advantage over open sourced platforms…

specially with the rise of the cloud.

• CheetoPet

Its going to be harder for people to justify purchasing software when equally good alternatives are freely available. Games are about the only reason left to use windows.

• psyclone

“….equally good alternatives are freely available…..”????

Are you talking about OS or applications. IT IS ALWAYS ABOUT THE APPLICATIONS. If all you use is a web browser, email and writing a simple letter, then Linux is fine.

But in business, scientific and engineering circles then the game changes. There are literally thousands of very specialized programs available for windows. And that’s ONE of the big things MS has to fight against in their very profitable corporate area. Those specialized applications are running “quite well thank you” on XP, there has to be a compelling reason for businesses to sink ten’s of billions or more into switching to a different OS. Vista couldn’t win that argument and after the flawed launch likely never could. Now MS is trying to market a “new” OS better, even then the corporate world will stick with XP and watch Win 7, but if Win 7 wins acceptance then MS has a golden opportunity. As the next compelling reason I see for businesses users to switch is the change to 64 bit and the full use of very powerful processors and cheap memory. MS has one last opportunity to make that 64 bit pitch and win the billions from the business world. If Win 7 doesn’t make it then MS will just slowly shrink, it’ll be the GM of the software world, downsizing for 35 years before declaring bankruptcy.

• Lans

I voted Linux… I use Windows mainly for games… everything else? LINUX! ๐Ÿ™‚

• jstern

Vista is beating XP so far.

Edit: Spoke too soon.

• valrandir

People are actually voting for Vista given the other choices. Something’s fishy.

Misclicks?

• Grigory

Those are probably people who are using Vista, loving it and haven’t tried Windows 7 yet. (Like me.)

• jstern

This actually makes sense. I pretty much assumed that everyone here was using Windows 7. I wonder what a poll of the best OS today without Windows 7 show. After Vista I can’t go back to XP.

• Meadows

I’m a lot more worried about the 10-year-olds who vote for XP out of grandiose zealous determination.

• swaaye

pfft. Nice way to generalize there.

• valrandir

XP is going to be older than those 10 year olds soon.

• Ethyriel

not if they’re 10 now

• ChronoReverse

Eh, if Win7 wasn’t on this list (or if Win7 RC had been crappy instead of being rather nice), I would have voted Vista over XP.

Reputation aside, overall Vista is nicer to use than XP is.

• TurtlePerson2

If you had asked me two years ago I would have told you OS X, but Apple has really let it go recently. I used it exclusively until 2005 and my family still has a Mac. Every new version of Mac seems to get a little slower and a little more crash prone.

• adisor19

Indeed, Leopard was rushed. It wasn’t the disaster that Vista was a lunch, but it had some major bugs in it. I have high hopes in Snow Leopard since just like Win 7, it’s supposed to be a code cleanup and maintenance release with no new major features. It will be interesting to watch how this pans out. I’m rooting for Apple here mainly because i’ve chosen it as my main Desktop.

Adi

• wibeasley

l[

g{

• Kurkotain

i suppose you had a severe case of indigestion with it…

• ssidbroadcast

“The ‘ow’ starts ‘now’?”

(as in, /[

Wow, that was… bad.

• Meadows

I voted for Windows 7 purely out of hope, because for me, the success hinges solely on whether they want to fix my issues in the coming months.

• willyolio

i’m voting for win7 because i tried out the beta, and it’s already the best OS.

The beta? …No.
        I’d rather use MacOS X than W7 Beta.

• Vasilyfav

Oh, we know you had *[

• d2brothe

Your issues in the coming month, rather unlikely as we’re at the RC stage right now. Certainly not if you’re suggesting UI changes.