It’s over: 3D Realms shuts down

After a staggering 12 years, development of Duke Nukem Forever at 3D Realms may have finally ended—but not in the way fans might hope. Late last night, Shacknews broke the story that 3D Realms quietly shut down because of inadequate funding.

Word first came from a "very reliable source" close to the development studio, but 3D Realms webmaster Joe Siegler later confirmed the report on the company’s forums. Siegler’s post explained simply, "It’s not a marketing thing. It’s true. I have nothing further to say at this time."

3D Realms technically didn’t release a self-developed game after 1997’s Shadow Warrior. However, the firm stayed afloat by publishing or producing successful titles like the Max Payne series and Prey, along with third-party Duke Nukem games.

Take-Two Interactive was supposed to publish DNF, but it told Shacknews it "was not funding ongoing development of the 3D Realms project." However, the publishing firm specifically noted that it "continues to retain the publishing rights to Duke Nukem Forever." Therefore, development could theoretically continue—or start anew—at another game studio.

• Meadows

No, there were longer wars than that, and greater buildings too.

• Jleosack

LOL! That’s awesome.

They deserved to fold. Good riddance. Let a competent group of developers take over.

• Sniper

That alone doesn’t mean it’s a photoshopped image. Some screen capture software does include the mouse pointer.

We’ll see.

• FireGryphon

No; the mouse pointer is in the pic, but if you take a screenshot of Windows and paste it into a graphics program, the pointer does not appear. This leads me to conclude that the pic is an obvious photoshop — the artist went out of his way to tell us that it was fabricated.

• Nitrodist

The mouse pointer could be below the window, in the taskbar.

• FireGryphon

This is clearly fake. The mouse pointer doesn’t show up on a screenshot. That’s just the biggest giveaway, never mind the others. ‘Twould be cool, but I fear it’s not true.

• Rakhmaninov3

Well damn, this means that Duke Nukem Forever would have been the greatest thing man EVER did. But now the dream’s over.

• Heiwashin

Oddly enough, although their site isn’t accessible through §[<http://www.3drealms.com<]§, you can access it through the subdomains which should be using the exact same server. 3drealms.com/forum wont' work for example, but forums.3drealms.com is fine. If they were taking down the site for real that shouldn't be accessible right?

• Krogoth

Add the Cassini mission to that list.

• Krogoth

I bet most of them involved George being a completely unreasonable asshole.

IIRC, didn’t the original batch of guys who were developing DNF jumped the boat years ago?

• Vrock

It will be interesting to hear the “what really happened” stories from all the ex-employees. Cause you know they are coming.

• nerdrage

Eh? The DNF curse.

• equivicus

Hmm it would be interesting to play a game that progressively got better. Imagine the game starts and your character is just a square and the the end of the game its a full on modern FPS. Might only be popular of the older gamers.

• XaiaX

Things that took less time than DNF was in development:

The Beatles formed, released every single one of their albums and broke up. During this time they also toured the world several times.

Led Zeppelin released 7 albums, 9 singles, and toured around the world, crossing international borders 27 times (not counting mainland Europe.)

The United States’ entire program to put a man on the moon, from Kennedy’s challenge to the landing.

Wars:
    The American War for Independence
    The United States Civil War
    World War I
    The United State’s involvement in the Vietnam War
    World War II and the entire Manhattan Project

Bill Clinton finished his presidential term, George W. Bush was elected and re-elected. — And then the US elected the first Black president.

From: §[<http://duke.a-13.net/<]§ Much of which is actually a few /[

• l33t-g4m3r
    • ClickClick5

Do Nothing: Forever, lol. Sad but true. Looking back at the screenshots from the 90’s and then the ones from last year I ask myself, will this ever be completed.

I hope someone picks up the game!

• Ubik

And out of ass, too.

• Buzzard44

Well, they might as well spend it on strippers and blow. Then at least they would get something for all their money.

if(Strippers and blow > nothing)
    snort(cocaine);
    else
    while(1)
    make(DNF);

• Meadows

If they succeed, they might just crack everyone up, even the haters.

I’m expecting their goodbyes, but hoping for a stunt.

• Krogoth

Looks shopped or 3Drealms is trying to pull off one of the greatest trolling stunts ever. XD

• Meadows

Cyril, do take a look.
    If that is authentic, then the whole internet may have fallen prey to some insidious joke – even the Wikipedia articles reflect the allegedly defunct status of 3D Realms now.

• Ondrej Scerbej
    • Xenolith

Curious to see who ends up with Duke Nukem IP.

• Meadows

…OOOOOOOOOoOoOooooooooo….. . . .

• provoko

nooooooooooooooo!

• provoko

i would have bought it

• bittermann

At least they would finish it! 🙂

• zimpdagreene

I second that. We all know the time of Do Nothing Funding is over. Investors want results not dreams. And getting new talent can come from all places and some without college education.

• bittermann

Pheeeewwww…we can all relax now! 😐

• Meadows

That’s what you say, but I enjoyed Doom 3. And this comes from a good Doom player from the olden days.

• Kunikos

Maybe not effective but definitely FUN. 🙂

• Bauxite

It must have been fun to carry on a “game company” that twiddled its thumbs for 12 years.

Think of all the money they got to blow on toys and off the wall ideas and hiring friends and such! (or hookers and blow as some suggested)

• clone

hype vs reality rarely compare favorably.

Duke was old long before this day… the memories based on a game that left enormous amounts to the imagination….. the problem with today is that games have so much content it will all be criticised…..a cool name a great game doesn’t make.

Doom and more notably quake 4 suffered the same fates, cutting edge nifty became hollow, lame, and cheesy.

• indeego

What is a curseg{

• ssidbroadcast

Seriously. I wonder how much of the company’s funds were spent on strippers and blow. >: / Way to be effective managers, guys.

• ludi

It took 12 years for 3DRealm’s backers to realize that Do Nothing, Forever wasn’t a viable business model?

I guess in terms of relative time scales (12 < forever) that’s not too shabby.

• Jigar

Updates From Guru 3d.

• nerdrage

“Your face… your ass… what’s the difference?”

• nerdrage

I still believe that this game will be released someday. Heck, if the Red Sox eventually broke their curse, I must have faith that this game will too. Let’s see… 1996 + 86 years = 2082.

Somebody will pick up the IP, finish it, and release it (whether it’s Apogee, or someone else). And they’ll make a lot of money.

• BooTs

I can’t hear you.

• MadManOriginal

Yeah because it was going to be released…never.

• BooTs

I’m thinking this won’t have any impact on DNFs eventual release date.

• Rakhmaninov3

LOL nice. Not enough fun stuff is being done with all those tax dollars that haven’t been made yet. I think that all PC gamers should be provided a tax rebate for buying the game once it comes out.

• aX_ Reaper

lol true! 😛

Did not finish 🙂

• bittermann

“Combine that with “it’s a Duke game” and it’s a recipe for awesome with almost zero chance of failure.”

uuumm…apparently you were wrong! I’d say it’s 100% for sure now. Little picture tidbits and closed door demo’s don’t mean crap.

Oh. I’m sure the great G.B. will come out with words of wisdom stating we are still going to finish it! You can only blow smoke up people’s a** for so long. I guess a little more than a decade is the limit.

• Meadows

They wanted to create a shooter with more “miscellaneous things to do” and more interactivity than anyone’s done before. Combine that with “it’s a Duke game” and it’s a recipe for awesome with almost zero chance of failure.

• asdsa

Max 1 and 2 were created by Remedy entertainment. They sold the game rights to Rockstar games which is now developing 3rd part. Max is far from finished like Duke which is sad.

• Homerr

DNF = DNF

=(

• Buzzard44

Yeah, I really got into DN2. I didn’t even realize that DN 3d was the same game until years after it came out. (I just played it at a friend’s house, I didn’t have the box.)

• VILLAIN_xx

Lol i had a feeling this was gonna happen… Anyways, Im writing president Obama this instant to give the the DNF project a bailout. That will be worth my tax dollars.

• VILLAIN_xx
    • bittermann

What standards? It was vaporware so to speak….picture art doesn’t count!

DNF deserved to fail…period. GB and co. should be sued into oblivion for wasting investors money and grinding the company into dust. Or maybe the investors were so nieve they deserve what they got too?

• BiffStroganoffsky

I guess it’s time to donate the ten win98se workstations connected to my Intel hub that’s been collecting dust in the lan room and start on that dungeon I’ve always wanted.

• Meadows

I think it would’ve been a good game by any and all standards.

• kurt-o

DNF can now be the Chuck Norris of Video games, or shall I say the Dos Equis man

• moshpit

That’s a positive way to view it :p

• TurtlePerson2

Does anyone else think that maybe DNF wouldn’t have done very well anyway. All of the older gamers who played when the originals were out may have enjoyed it, but I don’t think it would translate well today.

• travbrad

If that is what really happened, they should get jobs in the banking sector. They’d be perfect for it.

• FireGryphon

r[

• ecalmosthuman

Hail to the King, baby.

• bhtooefr

Well, that’s actually what happened.

The game had been rewritten to use several different engines, and by the time they got “almost done,” every time, the engine in question was horribly outdated.

• l33t-g4m3r

Duke Nukem “Forever”.
    I honestly wonder if that was their true goal.
    To see how long they can get funding for a game they deliberately won’t ever complete.
    Duke has been a running joke for a long time now, ever consider that maybe it actually /[

• kvndoom

Damn, the Wired Vaporware Awards will not be worth reading anymore.

• Hattig

Oh well, DNF can now remain totally awesome in our minds, rather than a reality that could have been naff.

• kamikaziechameleon

I never played the original so i didn’t look forward to forever in the same way as most people, i just wanted to see what all the fuss and dev time was about.

• esterhasz

They came to kick ass and chew bubble gum. But now they’re all out of gum…

• sweatshopking

im an old timer, and i never liked them. played them all, but didnt find them anything special. now it is hard to complain about paying for pixel tits, but at the same time, that was the best part of that game, and it wasnt that exciting. as for max coming back, great! he was the best thing 3d realms ever did. how they are going to swing that after the end of two i dont know…

• d2brothe

Coulda shoulda but didna.

uh, Max won’t be missed because he’s coming back. :p

• khands

Yes! DN1 and 2 FTW!

• khands

From my understanding, Apogee owns the rights to Duke Nukem now, as well as all the other 3DR ip’s.

• indeego

Doesn’t really matter. The IP of duke is what is important, not the developers or the dev house. They could easily port the IP to an efficient coding house and at least something snarky could get released.

This is probably good in the [short] termg{<.<}g

• StashTheVampede

We can easily list the number of operating system rewrites, game series that have started AND completed during this same time period, etc. No matter, DNF is dead.

Take Two owns the rights for Duke Nukem Forever, but the sole developer is gone: 3DRealms. Take Two offered to buy back the assets at $30 million and 3DRealms balked. It *could* be sold to someone else, easily.

Who wants this game still? Seriously. With this many years of dev, I’m curious to play … just not $50-$60 curious enough. I played Duke3D in the day (and had a BLAST) but this series simply didn’t have the right vision and it was never bound to be completed.

• burntham77

I concur! The hopes and dreams of adult kids everywhere are dashed.

• Shinare

Shake it, baby!

• BKA

Thats really too bad. It is good to know that the Duke Nukem Trilogy for PSP is unaffected so at least (hopefully) I’ll get to be the bad ass one more time.

• poulpy

Whoever picks it up this is probably good news for the license given 3DRealms were clearly unfit to develop a game and most if not all of the original team must have flocked elsewhere in the 12-odd years anyway..

• bittermann

Karma is a bitch! Another great example of people in charge tanking a company into dust. G.B. and co. should get sued into infinity and beyond!

• Buzzard44

How would you develop a game over 12 years anyway? It seems like before you got halfway through, most of your original development would be obsolete.

It would be awesome if DNF would have come out and look like a decade old game. While it would still be awesome, it would be funny to see a brand new game built for Windows 98.

• Meadows

Are you kidding? Id would strip out all the colour and 60% of the humour. I don’t want a game like that.

• thebeastie

I guess a lot of people remember playing this at lans at school. At my tafe they had it all over the brand new PCs and new IPX/IP networks.
    I don’t think the network designers back then were prepared for people to be mass playing games right next to each other, instead they just made it near impossible to access the Internet.

This game set for me a standard of fun that was as good as never quite challenged.
    Sometimes it appeared that the reason Duke Nukem Forever was called such that because we all well and truly ended up waiting forever for it!

I say ID software should buy the IP for this game and do it them selfs!
    They should be able to pick it up dirt cheap.
    ID has the money and since Doom 3 while it was a well made game it kind of gave the impression at the end that ID lack new fresh direction.

This game would be a change for them and we would all finally get this game back under a modern world class game engine.

• PerfectCr

I wonder who will provide ongoing support for the Xbox Live Arcade version of Duke3D now?

• Walkintarget

Agreed. Same thing that Splash Damage did with Enemy Territory. That game was my all time favorite MP shooter, so at this point it wouldn’t do any more damage to the joke that Duke Nukem 3D has become.

• ADRENALIN

lol ive read the forum since 1998, and ive been a member since 2000

• lycium

inbetween blackouts the 3drealms forum users are gushing about how great it was: §[<http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=35533<]§ pretty sad to hear really :/ some folks have been there since 1998!

• ADRENALIN

sad sad day. although I am really not surprised. man, ive been waiting to play Duke Nukem Forever (or is it never now?) Since i was in 11 years old.
    I even have a DNF wallpaper on my Download server comp…

• nonegatives

I think Duke need to be open source. Release the content to the public and we can keep the dream alive forever. It could always be in 0.x beta status.

• donkeycrock

1. I guess they can go back to being April fools joke again.
    2. I told you so.
    3. I was looking forward to playing duke again.
    4. Duke will be picked up in 20 years for some virtual reality game.

• lycium

always has? some of us oldtimers fondly remember the original platformers…

• Grigory

Ho ho! Sticky bomb liking you!

• sweatshopking

duke sucks. always has. max though will be missed.

• adisor19

:'(

And so the dream ends… i didn’t think it would be like this. I was at least hoping for SOME form of DNF to come out..

Adi

• Meadows

Duke Nukem Forever could’ve been made. It should be made.

The reason why it wasn’t made is very poor development control (exceptionally poor oversight and resource management, in fact), and the fact that it took one week for Broussard to get himself to work on the HUD for 30 minutes – since he doesn’t have time, he needed to play FEAR 2 on the XBox and play poker on weekends -, before postponing his “work” for another week more.

I think he simply got used to having DNF in his life after almost 13 years, and as a result, he didn’t notice how clumsy and indifferent he became.

• Meadows

I have actually gotten Daikatana from someplace less-than-legal once (it wasn’t shared on torrents, I can tell you that much) but I doubt anyone cared because it was so bad.

To tell you the truth, I tried hard to like it, actually. My efforts were prevented by the clumsy mouse code and the exceptionally long and incoherent intro to the game. Had it not kept crashing on my Vista PC, I might’ve gotten far enough too to see the better areas and have a bit of fun between two bits of angst.

• Wakka

And nothing of value was lost.

• lycium

Take-Two got taken for a ride!

If anyone should be sad about this it’s John Romero, who retains the title of most drawn-out game development failure with Daikatana (since DNF in a sense failed at failing).

• TheEmrys

Thank God. RIP Duke, we looked forward to your second coming for quite a while.

• Krogoth

NASA officially pwns 3DRelams.

They had managed to plan, launch New Horizons within the time frame of DNF’s development cycle. New Horizon will likely reached its intended target, Pluto. XD

• Meadows

A sad day in the world of PC gaming.

• Krogoth

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Errrrr…. This sucks!

Share this post with your friends!