Developer shows eight minutes of BioShock 2

Take-Two Interactive only announced BioShock 2 two months ago, but the game already looks pretty close to completion. At least, one would think so after looking at an eight-minute gameplay clip hosted over at Shackvideo.

In the clip, BioShock 2 Creative Director Jordan Thomas provides a detailed introduction to BioShock 2, which will take place "many years" after the first game and let players take control of the first Big Daddy. You’ll get to escort Little Sisters and grind Splicers into bloody pulp with your giant, arm-mounted drill, but you’ll also be able to use Plasmids like in the first game to set enemies on fire and inflict other, miscellaneous types of damage.

Oh, and the game will let you take walks on the ocean floor around Rapture, the underwater city that provides the setting for both BioShock titles. Thomas says the ocean was very much a character in the first game, and you’ll finally get to meet it face-to-face in the sequel.

Take-Two stated in March that BioShock 2 will come out some time between August and October. The game should see a simultaneous release on the PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3.

• sweatshopking

WHoa! i got in trouble for saying @ss in the forums, and this guys drops the f bomb!! geez man, take it easy!

• Silus

Wow…Bioshock 2 and It’s exactly the same as Bioshock 1…And here they are again advertising the “moral choices” that will “define gameplay”, which if it’s just like the first game, it will be load of crap, since it will just be fighting with everything that moves, because everyone attacks you, no matter what. The only thing note worthy in this, seems to be the ability to walk outside of rapture, but I’m sure will be very limited anyway.
    Also, let’s not forget that 2K was the first with the insane copy protection measures: SecuROM enforcing installation limits per OS install, per user and per hardware fingerprint and they confirmed they would be using similar ones, for future games.

• Meadows

Cussing on the front page? I think you dropped your manners a few steps back.

• MrBojangles

“The first Big Daddy” could always be the “first” in a new generation of Big Daddy especially since these seem to have plasmid capabilities and as far as i can rember the ones in the first one did not.

• BobbinThreadbare

He only mentioned Bioshock and Halo, it’s not a giant leap of logic that he hasn’t played a lot of earlier PC games.

• jackaroon

I forgot about process explorer, but when I had installed the demo, that exact problem is what made the decision crystal clear. I didn’t even play it before getting that stuff off my computer.

• indeego

Ditto. I was fairly disappointed in Bioshock 1’s gameplay, mechanics, and plot, but loved the artistic designg{<.<}g I'd pay good money for an updated SS2 with a modern engineg{<.<}g

• toyota

yeah no kidding. I will never understand people that complain about not being able to finish a game quickly. its not a movie and damn sure isnt cheap entertainment so I want a good game to last me at least 15-20 hours and still have some replayability.

• Kharnellius

That’s why you let the game pan out over a few weeks. It’s kind of like reading a book, ya know?

• FuturePastNow

Some of the same people were involved in making both games.

• toyota

I am the idiot? you are a fucking thief and a moron. if you can afford a pc and other luxuries then you should be able to afford a game. if you cant then you have no business playing it and getting any enjoyment out of it whatsoever. your financial problems dont give you the right to just take something that people worked on for years to develop.

• ImSpartacus

Amen brother.

• ImSpartacus

You know, I actually haven’t played HL1. I’ve played HL2 and all it’s episodes, but not the original.

Half Life 2 was really good at breaking up gameplay and keeping it fresh, but I still like Bioshock’s narrative qualities. It’s like being in a movie.

• MadManOriginal

You get more ADAM from them, especially interesting. Someone did an analysis and found tat it roughly evens out by the end of the game though: §[<http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2007/08/little-sisters-save-or-harvest-we-break-down-the-best-approach-for-adam.ars<]§

• Heiwashin

Well, it does look like it could be a lot of fun. The environment alone was a great experience in the last one. I like the adopt thing, i never did play through as a harvester(what was the benefit to that anyway)

Mediocre? Don’t play it then.

• Vasilyfav

Idiots like you need to read the dictionary, because the word excuse doesn’t mean what you think it means. I fully accept the fact that I am stealing the game, because I cannot spare money on what is going to be another mediocre shooter.

• l33t-g4m3r

Maybe it’s like crysis: warhead.
    Different character, same time.

• quock

Why is that not possible? Maybe the the first big daddy is still alive, after so many years.

• l33t-g4m3r

That quote cracked me up, wasn’t expecting it.
    Especially after all the criticism.

• Buzzard44

Yeah, watching the 8 minute segment, it does appear that it is indeed a prequel. It’ll be interesting to see how they make all this occur “‘many years’ after the first game”.

• Scrotos

I just played HL for the first time ever. Looks really dated, but I’m sure when I avoided it to play Quake 2, it was pretty cool. There were some neat bits but MAN did it go on forever. I guess people complain about newer games being too short, but now that I’m old and work for a living, I don’t have an entire weekend to blow on playing a single game, I guess.

It was neat and I am currently playing Blue Shift then will try Opposing Forces. I finally played HL2 and HL2 EP1 so I figured I might as well get the backstory as much as possible. Not really needed, I’m finding out, but still neat to finally play the original.

• l33t-g4m3r

same. If I do buy it, it’ll be after there’s a crack, and on sale.
    I especially hate that error message, that comes up because I’m running process explorer.

Ooh, right after the Special Report: Anything you like sucks, anything I like is awesome.

• toyota

/[<"I'll pirate it when it comes out though, it's probably worth checking out. "<]/ not worth paying for but its okay to pirate it? assholes like you always find an excuse to justify your actions.

• MadManOriginal

This just in – different people like different things. News at 11!

• jackaroon

Maybe I’m just a crazy recalcitrant moron, but I hope it doesn’t have the securom thing again, or it’s just as dead to me as bioshock was.

• Rakhmaninov3

Yeah me too. Doesn’t make sense to me to buy games right after they come out, when they can be found lightly used on eBay with prices in the single digits a matter of months later.

• Vasilyfav

There isn’t much to spoil. Same location, same boring shoot-them-all with the same respawning enemies. So they added a little bit of everything, it’s not enough to call it Bioshock 2 – it’s barely on the level of an expansion and a borderline free DLC pack.

I’ll pirate it when it comes out though, it’s probably worth checking out.

I have a feeling that it’s going to be more of the same. X360 is probably the lead SKU.

Time travel, duh. Rapture was unknowingly built on an undersea time rift.

• Ethyriel

Please go play the original Half Life. Or Unreal. Or Thief. Or Deus Ex. Or hey, how about System Shock/System Shock 2.

I disagree with all the Bioshock hate. But a *[

• Draxo

System shock was great,
    Bioshock was just a recycle of it, with updated eye candy.

• Dazrin

/[

• MadManOriginal

I’ll probably get it when it’s bargain binned to about $10 within 6-9 months..

• herothezero

Too bad BioShock was such a console hackorama…it was lame. Great environment, but really lame gameplay.

• Meadows

I won’t check any news posts or videos about it – that’s how much I’m looking forward to it, so I won’t spoil even a bit of what’s coming.

• ImSpartacus

Yes, Bioshock is my favorite game of all time.

I can respect games like Halo and the such. They are fun, but they are not great.

Bioshock is great.

Now I am just hoping Bioshock 2 doesn’t ruin the series. It seems like it will be good, but I almost wish that we wouldn’t have to take the chance.

• Scorpiuscat

I dont play very many FPS games, but I did try Bioshock and I loved the atmosphere in the game.

So I am very much looking forward to Bioshock 2

• ucisilentbob

It looks awesome… so very eager.

Share this post with your friends!