Microsoft readies new-and-improved search engine

Despite Microsoft’s branding and marketing efforts—not to mention the attempted Yahoo takeover—Live Search still has a tiny fraction of Google’s search engine market share. The balance might start to shift next week, though.  That’s when eWeek says Microsoft will roll out a revamped search engine code-named Kumo.

What makes Kumo special? The star feature is a new grouping system, which eWeek describes as follows:

Kumo will organize search results in an efficient way, grouping them into sub-categories, and represents an upgrade from Microsoft’s Live Search. For example, if you do a search of "Audi S8," it will feed back results categorized under "Audi S8 Parts," "Used Audi S8," "Top images for Audi S8," and "Top video for Audi S8." In theory, this will result in faster searches, sparing the community from having to sort on their own through pages of ungrouped hyperlinks.

The folks at CNet have even come upon a screenshot of Kumo in action, showing a result categories column as well as a brighter, more elaborate graphical design. Microsoft will apparently retain the Live Search brand and live.com domain name, however.

According to eWeek, we can expect Microsoft to unveil the new search engine at the All Things Digital conference that starts on May 26.

• stmok

Lando: We’ve gotta be able to get some kind of a reading on those Ads, up or down. How could they be jamming us if they don’t know…if we’re coming… Break off the Live Search, their Ads are still up.

Wedge: I get no reading, are you sure?

Lando: Pull up! All craft pull up!

*Rebel fleet flies back to Google*

• travbrad

I think Microsoft hired the geocities people to design the layout of the page.

• indeego

30-second brother, ehg{

• KorruptioN

That looks like an ad-trap!

• clone

I agree…. another big issue to me is my familiarity with Googles searches.

I’ve been using it so long now that I can find websites that I can’t using live search just by tweaking the way I word the search….. I’ve never had that familiarity with live search.

I also find MS’s search engine far to focused on adds and not searching…. the new one from the screenshot looks even worse for that.

going from just the screenshot it looks like MS wanted to make it prettier while improving almost nothing.

• Buzzard44

Hans Solo was just being a pessimist.

I’d be quite content to jump into a trash compactor with Princess Leia.

• ssidbroadcast

He’s Han Solo in the trash compactor: “I got a bad feeling about this.”

• Mourmain

Yea, it’s apallingly bad if that’s true. So bad that it probably isn’t true – it simply looks like something from the 90’s.

• MadManOriginal

Just to be clear…you don’t like it?

• nagashi

That screenshot is pretty impressive, and NOT in a good way. I had a hard time even finding where the search results were. There’s a set of 3 ad links at the top; 5 more on the right; shopping ads for zunes at the bottom.. and somewhere right in the middle is a single search result. Tucked away at the top it says we’re viewing results 1-20 of 1,000,000 or so, but that looks like a single search result to me.

Though I’ll give it a try when it comes out, it looks to be BEYOND worthless. The big innovation? there’s now lots more revenue-generating adspace, and less content. Except the ads won’t generate any revenue if no one uses it because they can’t even figure out where the ads end and the SINGLE search result begins.

FAIL FAIL FAIL.

• PeterD

Normally I use AltaVista. That’s still very good. I only use Google because Google makes it easier to distinguish between different languages, although you can do that with AltaVista too.

• flip-mode

I’ve been trying Yahoo’s search for several weeks now, just for the sake of trying something other than Google. I gotta say that most of the time, I find what I want to find pretty quickly, but I am surprised by how often I actually /have/ to use Google because in some instances the results really are so much better.

• barich

Unfortunately, Live Search’s results are often useless, and grouping together useless results isn’t going to help me.

Their biggest problem is that their search engine has to do a basic task – providing relevant results – better than Google for me, and many others, to switch. Other features aren’t going to do it unless they show up alongside an engine that works at least as well as Google’s does.

• NeXus 6

It wouldn’t hurt to give Google a little competition, but Microsoft should stick with what they do best. I don’t see this thing going anywhere.

• MadManOriginal

Nice! I lol’d

• kvndoom

Moogle!!!!

• MadManOriginal

The only good thing about Live Search is the cashback discount program lol.

• ssidbroadcast

“Oh, I do believe the shields will be fully functional when your friends arrive.”

Share this post with your friends!