Big, expensive Corsair case has hot-swap drive bays

COMPUTEX — Corsair is getting into enthusiast enclosures, and it’s not starting small. We stopped by the firm’s meeting room in the Grand Hyatt hotel today and got to see the Obsidian Series 800D, a $299 steel-and-aluminum chassis with a sleek, black brushed metal finish and plenty of enthusiast-friendly perks.

The Obsidian Series 800D has an upside-down internal layout with three partitioned cooling zones, five 5.25" drive bays, and six 3.5" bays. Four of those 3.5" bays allow for hot-swapping through the front of the case, like so (see our image gallery for a shot of the inside):

Cables go around behind the motherboard panel for easier management, and you’ll find plenty of holes for liquid-cooling rigs. Speaking of cooling, Corsair also built in a whopping seven fan mounts. That includes one 140mm fan at the bottom, another 140mm fan to cool the storage bays, and three mounts at the top.

Expect to see the Obsidian Series 800D trickle into online retail listings in early August.

• fpsduck

Steel be with you!

• pullmyfoot

The Cossair logo just doesnt look quite right on a case like that. Any case for that matter

• Kurkotain

it would be hilarious if someone stuck an atom and its corresponding mobo inside this case…

• slash3

I was running a microATX mobo with integrated video at one point in my double-width Chenbro Ultra server case. It was highly amusing.

• wkstar
      • liquidsquid

When it is off, sure… But with the capability of that many fans, it is unlikely.

• Flying Fox

Will it blend?

• shank15217

A decent 2 socket workstation case, not bad.

• ssidbroadcast

My God… it’s full of stars!

• Hattig

Does this come with a “massage” at a massage parlour?

• FubbHead

I wouldn’t mind replacing the old Thermaltake Tsunami I use now, with this. It seem to be about the same size, maybe a bit higher, but with some more nifty features. And I like the unpretentious and humble looks aswell.

But it’s far to expensive for that to happen, though…

I like their cable management system. Everyone should do that.

• MadManOriginal

Antec has had similar cable management since the P182.

• StuG

That has also been carried over to the regular p180 also, the only difference between the 180 and 182 anymore is color. But that cable management method is very very nice. I was very happy to have used it in my build.

• MadManOriginal

Yeah. What’s funny is I did almost identical mods to my P180 before the P182 was even announced. I was all like ‘WTF they stole my ideas!’

• StuG

yea i probably would have been pretty angry if i had to cut all those holes myself, and than had the new case model released a little while later. Kinda awesome having it be your own mod though. thats always cool.

• valrandir

This is like the Hummer of cases and reeks of excess. I wouldn’t be caught dead with one of these. Even the average enthusiast these days doesn’t need a full tower like this, unless they need quad SLI with a dual cpu slot mobo.

Might as well burn coal in your yard instead of that thing with dual 1k PSUs.

• CheetoPet

Indeed. My first thought when I saw the interior was “Why did the put a micro-atx board in there?”. Nice its so spacious but still…

• ludi

Actually, I think you could park the Hummer /[

• Cyco-Dude

i have to laugh at cases like this – these companies just paint the chasis, add a few led lights and other trinkets (hot-swap, aluminum construction, front-panel connections, etc) and jack the price way up. i bet if you dropped all that stuff and just made a plain steal case, you could get the price down to $100 or so.

• Richie_G

I like it. Big, chunky and solid looking. Looks like it’ll stop bullets. Shame about the price, but I spose that’s the premium for ‘enthusiast’ level hardware.

• idgarad

Great another Lian Li knockoff of the 2000 series cases.

Throwing in a trio of crappy hot swap trays that look like bad Startec bays is about as appealing as sanding my hand off with a belt sander.

Seriously this is junk compared to my old
    §[<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112074<]§ The newer 2000 series blow this crap out of the water. Can someone out there just make a nice case with a single air intake with a standard auto air filter that can be removed and cleaned rather then these useless mesh filters they put in front of fans? Or even a nice 2 stage air filter with a grounded mesh for grabbing fine dust?

• CasbahBoy

Yep. I have absolutely fallen in love with my V1000 and all of its successors. If I ever really need to upgrade this case (I almost did when I had to struggle to find a power supply that didn’t stick out of the back a little bit) it will only be to another of the V-series.

• flying hippo

I also have a 3 year old v1000 (similar to the 2000) lian li and I’ve been REALLY happy with it. The new versions are even better. In my opinion there are few things prettier than an overpriced lian Li. I don’t think the Corsair is that bad though. Have to look at it in person for a final analysis.

• glacius555

Hmm.. Never knew that Corsair offered CPU cooling solutions..

• danny e.

i want one. or two.
    bring on the 18″ long video cards!!

• adisor19

yes Yes YES ! More like this please. I need more choice when it comes to cases. Something like 8 hot swappabale hot bays for 3.5″ HDs should do it.

Adi

• MadManOriginal

lol I knew you would go nuts over the stock hotswap bays, I just don’t get why you care that they’re standard so much. It’s really not that big a deal though, you can always buy add-in hotswaps and just get a case that is all 5.25″ drive bays down the front.

• ludi

Actually, I think it was the “pretty good hardware sold at a 200% price premium because we can” thing that did the trick. Maybe.

• StuG

There is a point where something is too big, and this case is that. Just look at the picture, even with an extended ATX case they would probably have alot of room. I guess this appeals to people that want the biggest computer and want to show that off, but it isn’t that good looking and its just gigantic.

• Goty

Big cases are almost a necessity for high-end water cooling these days, though. I’ve got a case bigger than this right now and I actually wish I had a bit more room.

• StuG

you need THAT much room in a watercooled case? I’ve set those up for other people and usually the radiators are just put on the outside….but even if they are not, there is so much room in there that i would think you would be ok.

• Goty

Well, my system is all-internal and putting a 3x120mm radiator on the outside is ugly and more work than it’s worth =P

• CheetoPet

Naw, its more about well thought out space than just volume. Corsair seems to just have made everything twice as big as necessary.

• Skrying

No, not at all in fact. 3x120mm radiator setups can be put into mid tower ATX cases. You never need something this large for a personal computer.

This case (though really, any full tower qualifies) and ridiculous wattage PSUs represent the computer enthusiast market that I always try to avoid. There’s nothing intelligent or well thought out about it

• Goty

Being ABLE to do something and being able to do it WELL are two different thing. Sure, you can put a 3x120m radiator the right mid-tower case, but you’re going to sacrifice airflow (especially at larger tubing diameters), a drive bay or two, at least, and the thing is going to be a pain to work in, none of which are concessions I’d like to make, which means that cases this size DO have a purpose.

• Skrying

Sure, you need to purchase the right case but that right case is going to be much better looking than any super tower on the market. Take for example Lian Li’s PC-A17. The perfect case to place a 3×120 radiator inside, you can place it in the front drive bays and use a slim optical drive. Place your hard drive mounted on the case floor with custom brackets. The two most impressive water cooling setups I’ve ever seen were both done in micro ATX cases. Never seen a super tower setup that caught my idea, they’re all extremely similar and easy to do.

I don’t mean to bash you or your taste. I just think if you’re going to water cool that you should go for the challenge of it all and create a unique setup that you won’t find anywhere else.

• ludi

You arguably don’t need a 3x120mm watercooling radiator in a personal computer, either, but if you’ve got the urge to tinker with one, it’s going to be an awkward piece of hardware to work around.

As an example from our world of all-time favorite analogies (cars), go look at the engine bay of a PT Cruiser turbo sometime. The fact that something /[

• shaq_mobile

i dont believe you…
      §[<http://www.xoxide.com/lian-li-pc-343b-case.html<]§

• wibeasley

It’s huge. In the third picture, the ATX motherboard looks like an ITX.

• GFC

I just.. don’t like it. And i usually like everything that corsair has, but cases (at least this one) ain’t that good looking.