P55 motherboards, Lynnfield info run loose at Computex

COMPUTEX — On Tuesday, we got to see Intel’s upcoming Lynnfield processors in action. Since then, during our encounters with motherboard manufacturers, we’ve seen a generous collection of boards based on Lynnfield’s companion chipset, the P55 Express.

In the image gallery below, you’ll see photos of future P55 boards from Asus, Gigabyte, and Biostar. Gigabyte had no fewer than four on display, although it intends to release only two to coincide with the Lynnfield launch.

Speaking of which, after our chats with several parties close to Intel, we got a pretty clear idea of the time frame for Lynnfield’s release. Look for the chips to reach stores in August or September—more specifically, late August or early September.

Our sources also hinted that Lynnfield will bear the same Core i7 branding as Bloomfield. That fits with what Intel told us on Tuesday. The Core i5 name may not be a complete fabrication, though: our sources referred to Clarkdale—Intel’s 32nm dual-core CPU with integrated graphics—by that name.

Speaking of Clarkdale, will these P55 boards work with it when it rolls out late this year or early in 2010? We actually got quite a mixed response when asking that question around the show. Intel told us its own P55 boards won’t be forward-compatible, but third-party manufacturers’ boards probably will be. Gigabyte, meanwhile, said it won’t bring Clarkdale compatibility to its P55 offerings largely in an effort to reduce consumer confusion. (Folks will expect integrated graphics features, but they’ll need a motherboard with a display output hooked up to the CPU socket for that to work.)

• fantastic

What process is the chipset being made with? My Google skills are weak and lazy. 😉

• Shinare

Wow, even now, still with the PS/2 and IDE…

Agreed – waste of space. Much rather use that for an extra 4 SATA ports or something.

If you are so desperate for your legacy junk they should USE AN ADAPTER.

• greeny

And how many people need 12 sata ports? About as many as use ps2 and ide I expect

• MadManOriginal

Hey now, watch it there whippersnapper! I use a PS/2 keyboard that’s worked great for going on 8 years and an IDE DVD burner.

• JokerCPoC

A PS2 Keyboard, Yeah I have one of those and I have an even older AT Keyboard with a PS2 adapter and both work fine still even with PS2 to USB adapters(for either keyboard). I expect they’ll continue to work for a long time to come and may out live Me, Not bad for Keyboards from the 1990’s.

• fantastic

Both of my computers have PS2 keyboards. I still haven’t bought a USB keyboard even though my computers are semi-modern (C2D and X2).

I’d also like a real serial port (I think there’s a header on that Gigabyte board (maybe all of them)). I can live without IDE, floppy and parallel ports now. Greeny is right though. I’ve never needed more than three to four drives on one computer and most of the time it’s just one optical drive and one hard drive.

• jonx

Question:

On the Gigabyte GA-EP55-UDF all singing and dancing 24 power phase board, what are the 4 chips to the left of the 6 DDR3 slots? They look like memory, probably Flash as all the other Gigabyte boards have the “Flash card socket” next to the DDR3 memory slots.

• UberGerbil

Seems entirely plausible. 4MB or 8MB of flash depending on the capacity of the chips.

Note the Asus board seems like it has a connector too, though it’s turned 90° at the edge of the board. (Could be something else, though).

• herothezero

q[

• Rakhmaninov3

Cyril how much Adderall are you eating to keep these articles flowing? Good work…all other sites suck compared to this.

• eitje

stupid question:

What’s the slot between the IDE port & RAM slots?

• UberGerbil

g[

• Chillectric

I thought P55 had the NB/SB integrated into one chip. What is that bottom heatsink there for?

• UberGerbil

It’s for the PCH. That _[https://techreport.com/image.x/2009_6_4_P55_motherboards_Lynnfield_info_run_loose_at_Computex/biostar_bare.jpg<]§

• Chillectric

Yeah I’m talking about the heatsink below the DIMM slots.

• jonx

Yes, all the Gigabyte boards have 4 heatsinks, 1 where the NB normally goes, one where the SB normally goes and 2 for the voltage regulators. What is the extra one (NB/SB) for? Do they have an SATA 3.0 controller which requires a heatsink?

• FuturePastNow

It is on the SATA controller, but that chip does not need a heatsink. The heatsink is just for show. These companies have figures out that enthusiasts equate heat with power/speed and are exploiting us.

• _Sigma

I have to say, I really don’t like Gigabyte’s new colour scheme.