Asus cooks up 11.6-inch Eee PCs

Typical netbook form factors may be cute and compact, but trying to do actual work on a 1024×600 display can prove cumbersome. Luckily, while taking a tour of Asus’ Computex booth last week, we spotted an upcoming Eee PC with a higher-resolution, 11.6-inch display.

The Eee PC 1101HA’s display has a much comfier 1366×768 resolution, which seems to be standard on a lot of smaller 16:9 displays these days. Asus also outfits the system with an Intel Atom Z520 or Z530 processor, 1GB of DDR2 RAM, 160GB of mechanical storage, 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1, and Windows XP Home Edition.

Portability may not have suffered too much from the bigger display, either. Asus quotes 9.5 or 11 hours of longevity depending on the battery type, and it says the system weighs in at just over three pounds. That’s actually a bit lighter than some of the older 10" netbooks out there.

• tygrus

“802.11n Wi-Fi”

What about backwards compatibility for older b/g hotspots ?

• UberGerbil

I think that’s implied. There may be an 802.11n adapter out there that doesn’t do b/g, but I haven’s seen one. (“a” on the other hand is getting pretty rare)

• blazer_123

Next thing you know they will be marketing a C2D E5000 series 14.1″ “netbook” at the low price of $1000.

• ImSpartacus

I’d rather have a nice 13.3-14″ CULV notebook than this. Netbooks are getting too big.

The 768p resolution is a step in the right direction, but this thing needs some next gen Atom or an uber cheap CULV.

• Ethyriel

I’d rather have my X61s, or upgrade to an X200s, but it would be nice for my mom who’s been jumping back and forth between the east and west coasts a lot recently. She just needs the convenience of being able to get online at a coffee shop, instead of waiting in line at a library, and isn’t going to be focused enough to be plugging it in all the time. Depending on the price, this might be the first netbook I feel comfortable getting her (mostly a resolution issue).

With the extra board space of the 11.6″ form factor, I wonder about the feasibility of a small onboard SSD combined with the option for mechanical storage.

• vikramsbox

Cooked up? More like leftovers in a new plate. Atom?! give us somehthins else guys. At least let us use and choose. Nano or Neo, there are more things there that can give the asthmatic Atom a run for its money.
    Honestly, the Atom (and the ‘cool’ chipset its bundled with) is the reason why I’ve not bought a netbook yet.

• swaaye

Personally I like Atom. It’s super cool running and that’s almost all that matters in a netbook CPU cuz they are hot enough already. Gimme a chipset that runs as cool as that CPU.

I won’t touch a VIA machine with a pole. If Nano had Atom’s power consumption, it would be awesome but it’s not even close. VIA’s chipsets suck too and are definitely not any kind of useful improvement over Intel’s retro stuff.

My Eee900 has a Celeron M 900 that’s as fast as the Atom 1.6 though so I’m not buying anything until we have new chipsets and CPUs.

• Farting Bob

I still think 10″ is where its at as a compromise between weight, portability, battery life, price, usability and keyboard size.

• khands

Now if only this was $300

• MadManOriginal

MSRP? Because if it’s going to be >$600 then it will be a tradeoff between battery life and performance versus CULV notebooks. I guess the choice is good.

• KorruptioN

Aren’t machines with the Z-series chips limited to 1GB of RAM? I remember reading somewhere that they were…

• MadManOriginal

Well, maybe, I think it’s eiter an MS limitation to use WinXP or an Intel one but this *does* has 1GB so…?

• eitje

Yeah, it’s a chipset limitation, from what I recall.

• KorruptioN

I think the Dell Mini 10’s have their RAM soldered onto the motherboard with no room for expansion. Pretty lame if you ask me. People say 1GB is enough for a netbook, and they’re right. But… with DDR2 as cheap as it is these days, I think going to 2GB makes so much sense.

• hermanshermit

I agree totally. My Asus netbook has 2GB and probably doesn’tr need it under XP.

However, I use 512MB as a RAM disk for browsing, temporary files etc. In day to day work, it really almost makes up for the slow internal SSD.

• Prototyped

The chipset’s original datasheet indicated a 1 GiB limitation, but a specification update raised this to 2 GiB, the same as the 945GSE and 945GCLF chipsets.