Asus sets its sights on Apple

Could Asus be the next Apple? Steve Jobs would probably snort at the notion, but Apple’s Taiwanese rival certainly seems to have high aspirations. Asus Vice Chairman Jonathan Tsang told the New York Times’ Bits blog, "Our goal is to provide products that are better than Apple’s."

Tsang also believes Asus needs to work harder to conquer customers in the U.S. "Before, we have been too conservative . . . We need to do better communications with the customers to let them know Asus is not only an Asian company." Part of that conquest will involve wowing consumers with cool, innovative products. Innovation may actually take center stage, since the Times says Asus allocates much of its funds to engineering and little to marketing.

Asus isn’t trying to outdo just Apple, either. Tsang went on to claim his company has a better product than the Nintendo Wii, at least from a hardware perspective. (He was presumably referring to Eee systems and their companion motion-sensing controllers, which the Times says are purportedly more sensitive than the Wiimote.) Unsurprisingly, however, Tsang went on to call the content side of the endeavor "complicated" and a "chicken-and-egg problem."

• thecoldanddarkone

I’ve had it broken where the installer/uninstaller doesn’t fix it and the instructions on the apple site didn’t fix it either, requiring the user to use some other method of fixing it. That usually requires a program that touches the registry, something that shouldn’t happen with a program that handles multimedia. I’ve used a microsoft uninstaller and cc to get rid of it, but it shouldn’t come to that. I can think of only a handful of applications that I’ve used that break that way.

• Darkmage

Sure, no problem.

I consistently get 100% CPU utilization from iTunes during any online interaction, including the check-the-online-store activity it does on program start.

Opening/collapsing any podcast list is slow enough that I’m not sure I actually clicked on the indicator. Several times it stores the actions in the buffer so I watch it finally open and then collapse right back up again. Likewise, switching between playlists, the music library, the video library, etc. are all exceptionally slow. Paging through the lists is quite quick, but the initial loading is slooooooow.

I cannot update the firmware on my iPod Touch without putting it into recovery mode, updating the firmware on a 2nd PC and a full re-sync with my laptop. This is consistent over the last three firmware updates.

I still cannot get a playlist with nothing but podcasts to play from one podcast to the next.

Dynamic playlists based on the most recent additions appears to only apply to CD’s ripped through iTunes or bought from the store. Amazon’s MP3 tool will insert the MP3 into iTunes for you, but iTunes won’t recognize it as being recently added, so it won’t show up on my “recent additions” playlist.

That and it’s a memory hog. I will say one thing: It doesn’t crash on me. Hell, it doesn’t want to close for me most of the time. That’s about it. If I recall any more, I’ll let you know.

• A_Pickle

I’ll give that Apple has always had good build quality, build quality largely unchallenged by most of the PC world except (in my experience) by Dell Latitude and Dell Precision laptops… but really, specs have often mattered to me. Specs are features. And most PC laptops have a ton more useful features that you simply cannot do, out-of-the-box, with a Mac.

That ASUS is packed – [i]packed[

• A_Pickle

Why would they need to? Asus laptops whop Apple laptops up-and-down the wall as far as functionality goes.

• A_Pickle

Keep offering 2-year warranties (the first year with accidental damage protection) on your excellently full-featured laptops with competently powerful mid-range graphics cards at reasonable prices, and I’ll be an ASUS buyer for eons.

Of course, I would be more motivated if ASUS made some mobile Xonar sound cards in their laptops…

What’s your complaint? I’m using it on Win Vista and Win 7 both without any misbehavior. Never understood what was so “bad” and maybe if you can say more than “it sucks” I’ll understand the complaint.

OK. Since ASUS mfr’s computers, I figured that’s what he was talking about. And you can still get away from iTunes with iPods.

• twizttid13

I too vouch for mediamonkey.

• pixel_junkie

Check out MediaMonkey. It’s similar to iTunes but has added features and functionality (not to mention it runs a helluva lot better under Windoze).

• Darkmage

Good for you then. iTunes on Windows blows donkey dong.

• Darkmage

Do you have a recommendation? I’m fed up with the quality of Apple’s programming for Windows machines.

• BobbinThreadbare

I think he’s talking about the iPod, not Mac computers.

• Anomymous Gerbil

Edit: pah, who cares.

• Johnny5

Looking to Apple and Nintendo for ideas… I guess they want to learn how to get people to pay much more for a product that does less than the competition. Maybe they’ll start offering their products exclusively in white too.

awesome reasoning, every bullet point and explanation totally swayed me.

Minor nitpick: your friend’s Macbook has integrated graphics that use system RAM. The performance, thanks to copious amounts of surplus memory bandwidth, is pretty good from that integrated chipset, though. Not sure which F6V you have, some come with Radeon 3470 (which is comparable in performance), some come with Radeon 4570 graphics (which should be faster than the mGPU). Still, your analysis isn’t bad.

• equivicus

• Thresher

Rock Solid, Heart Touching.

• dlenmn

(Meant as reply to OP.)

OS X is nice and all, but hardware is still very important, especially for laptops. I think that’s in Apple’s advantage too — their laptops are really well designed and made, and the markup isn’t too much to get rid of that appeal. I’m considering getting a MacBook Pro and running Linux on it instead, since that is my main OS (I moved to it from OS X).

Seriously, that’s why Apple has to lie and make those “I’m a PC” commercials to make the sheep buy their garbage. A crippled OS is crippled.

• dlenmn

Good analysis. I’m with you that somewhat better specs aren’t don’t win over a good build and design.

I’ve always wondered why so few competitors match Apple in the design/build quality department. There are a lot of laptops that are thick flexy hunks of plastic (with poor battery life, or with outrageously sized batteries). Like you’ve observed, even comparably priced laptops often fall in to that category. I’ve seen some promising signs recently from some of the larger manufactures, but why is it taking so long?

• JoHowdy123

Well, I dont not like Itunes either, but i do enjoy ipods… my answer… 3rd party software… Both mediamonkey and songbird make great software for the Itunes disgruntled…

• tay

itunes is fine on os x. Didn’t use it back when I had windows. Didn’t get an ipod until after i got a mac =).

• tay

Sir, such reasoned posts do not belong in a mac vs pc discussion. Kindly delete your post.

• indeego

This is either rock solid or heart touchingg{.}g

• valrandir

I have an Asus F6V and my friend has an Apple Macbook (aluminum unibody version). Both are comparably priced 13″ laptops with discrete graphics and 25W Core 2 Duos (~$1100). Both weigh around 4 lbs with battery. My Asus, however, came with more than twice the RAM, HD and a faster processor (2.4GHz P8600) than the Macbook for around $200 cheaper.

Asus 1, Apple 0

On build quality, keyboard and screen quality, the Macbook utterly destroys the Asus. It’s not even close.

Asus 1, Apple 1

Software support. If you visit the Asus website, you will find a lot of engrish. It’s really quite embarrassing they can’t hire someone who can write english. Trying to update the BIOS? Good luck finding anything on the website. Good thing winflash came preinstalled on my Asus, or else I would have never been able to decipher wth was going on with their support site.

Asus 1, Apple 2

Battery life. My Asus gets around 2.5 hours with power saving options. My friends Macbook gets close to 4.

Asus 1, Apple 3

Asus, you have a long way to go before you’re in the same league as Apple. Sure, you can win on specs, but that’s getting increasingly less important these days…

• willyolio

yes, it does get rather confusing when you spell things correctly.

• bigbaddaddy

When will these hardware guys learn that it is all about the software and not the hardware. Competing with Apple with Windows or Linux is like trying to compete in the Olympics with a broken foot. It is a non-starter.

• Forge

q[

• eitje

owns = pwns, in this case.

• 5150

HAHA, I was looking at that one for my wife, in fact, it would’ve been a great fit for her, but she HATES the smell of ionized air. *shrug*

• imtheunknown176

Innovative products? Like the laptop with the built in air ionizer? I kid you not: §[<http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=5&l2=70&l3=839&l4=0&model=2566&modelmenu=1<]§ It's actually a pretty compelling laptop though. I have a lot of respect for asus and their products but they seem to be a little out of touch with how to appeal to the average consumer. They have at least 40 different laptop models spread across 6 categories. And each model can have 2, 3 or even 4 variants. I understand that they want to cater to individual needs without doing full custom models but still.

• TheShadowself

“Owns Apple”? How is that? Apple could get anyone of a number of hardware builders to build its units.

• WillBach

Asus built laptops for Apple yes? Do they still? If Asus copies parts of Apple’s designs directly from the blueprints Apple gave them, wouldn’t that expose them to some pretty serious legal action, and shoot their reputation as a contract builder of tech items? Even if they don’t copy from Apple’s blueprints, could they be exposed to legal action if the designs are similar enough that they /[

• KyleSTL

Asus as an OEM owns Apple (and has for longer than most remember). Asus as a consumer brand, they have a long road to travel.

• pixel_junkie

It doesn’t require iTunes. You’ve just come to believe it does. There are plenty of options. If you don’t like the device, that’s another thing entirely.

• pixel_junkie

If iTunes is the reason you’ll never use an iPod, you’ve never looked around at what other options are out there. It’s not like you’re bound to iTunes to use your device. I hate iTunes too. Try MediaMonkey. Browse torrent trackers for iPod apps. There are tons out there that will free you from that POS application.

• MadManOriginal

Except for the 90% of the market that doesn’t use a Mac.

Apple doesn’t REQUIRE iTunes – it’s just that it’s such a good digital audio player and very well-behaved on OS X that nobody needs anything else.

• herothezero

#3, Word…iTunes absolutely blows. It’s why I’ll never use an iPod.

• 5150

Well, they don’t require iTunes, so they got that going for them, which is nice.

Their laptops really impress me. I bought an F50 about a week ago and I love it.

• ew

That’s a lot of stuff that is easy to say.

Share this post with your friends!