iPhone OS 3.0 is available, AT&T offers early iPhone 3G S upgrades

Attention all iPhone users: you can now upgrade to the final version of Apple’s iPhone OS 3.0. Plug in your iPhone, open iTunes, select the device, and hit "Check for Update." Just make sure you’re using iTunes 8, says Apple.

The new iPhone system software includes a plethora of enhancements, including the ability to copy and paste text, use the keyboard in landscape mode, send and receive multimedia messages (only on the iPhone 3G), search the contents of the device instantly, buy iTunes content straight from the phone, and more. The folks at AppleInsider have posted a more detailed list of new features and changes.

iPhone OS 3.0 should support all revisions of the iPhone released so far. iPod touch users can upgrade too, but they’ll need to shell out $9.95 for the privilege.

Incidentally, AT&T has announced that folks who own an iPhone 3G may be eligible for an early upgrade to the new iPhone 3G S, which is coming out on June 19. The carrier states, "We’re now pleased to offer our iPhone 3G customers who are upgrade eligible in July, August or September 2009 our best upgrade pricing, beginning Thursday, June 18."

• BoBzeBuilder

Will there be a iPoud Touch S version as well?

• Hance

Well I got the new firmware installed no problem. It nuked all my apps but all my music, podcasts and photos are still there. Why the apps decided to vanish and everything else was fine I have no idea. I have a backup of my apps and only had one paid for app anyway so its no big deal.

• mototime

if you take an itunes backup before the restore on the new software, then update, after it comes back up as 3.0 it will prompt you to do a restore or initiate a new ipod. If you hit restore and point to the previouse backup you did right before the update, it will put back your apps and everythings else just like it was but on top of version 3.0

• ztrand

I thought my apps where gone as well, but it turned out the phone had just moved them around to make room for the voicememo icon and had created an empty page in the desktop. Make sure your apps are not just an extra swipe away 🙂

• indeego

The voice recognition sucks, apparently. Doesn’t work for all aspects of the phone (like music or e-mail.) This was something we were quite interested in, but will have to stick with third party forg{<.<}g

• Hance

I can’t make up my mind if I want to shell out the ten bucks or not. There is a few new features but the ones I would like most are 2G iPod touch only.

• adisor19

§[<http://ax.phobos.apple.com.edgesuite.net/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/com.apple.jingle.appserver.client.MZITunesClientCheck/version?touchUpdate=true<]§ The links for all the firmwares are right there. Search for 3.0 and just copy paste the link for your firmware into a new tab and save it. iPod1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw is the one for 1st gen iPod. I'm sure you can figure out the other ones ;) Then, you just have to restore it with iTunes while holding down Option key.(on the mac.. i think it's Control key on the pc) Adi

• adisor19

Also, this is straight from Apple’s servers. Nothing illegal here.

Adi

• Hance

Awesome thanks man !! I am running windows but I am sure there is a way to do it in windows with out to much trouble.

• Usacomp2k3

I’d be surprised if Apple truly is ok with that.

• indeego

Seems kinda pointless, since this is exactly where iTunes gets it from anyway. If iTunes can’t get it it is unlikely your browser/ftp client will.

Some here at work just kept trying and trying and got throughg{<.<}g

• barich

The point is that you don’t have to pay $9.95 using that link, since Apple hasn’t bothered to protect the download.

• ImSpartacus

I think they just want to have another plus for iPhone users. Aside from removing the ‘phone’ the Touch is pretty much the same (aside from it’s slimmer form).

10 bucks isn’t really that much for this itty bitty software update.

• Hance

If they really didn’t want people downloading the firmware wouldn’t they have it blocked so you can only download it from iTunes while logged into your account ?

Well all you have to do is hold down the shift key and click on restore and point iTunes to the new firmware. Pretty simple. I will have the new firmware shortly its almost done.

• blerb

OS3.0 IpodTouch 1g: §[<http://bit.ly/xTa6T<]§ IpodTouch 2g §[<http://bit.ly/4Y62O<]§ From adisor's link, I just made it easier

• blerb

And I’m going on adisor’s word that this is legal

• adisor19

I’ll be patiently waiting a day or 2 for the jailbreak and the unlock. The Dev team says it will all be out by friday 🙂

Adi

• eitje

me too!

but probably for different reasons.

• _Sigma

Gizmodo has been reporting users getting locked out of their phones due to the AT&T activation servers being hammered.

• SGT Lindy

Who the ef would try to do it now? 3 days from now it will be smooth as hell. Patience is lacking in this world.

• indeego

People that are on life support with the inability to copy/pasteg{<.<}g