Poll: Do you have an iPhone, or are you getting one soon?

With the iPhone OS 3.0 out, the iPhone 3G now down to $99, and the iPhone 3G S due tomorrow, one would expect many people to be contemplating an upgrade—either from an older iPhone or from a competing device.

That bit of speculation has led us to formulate a new poll, in which we’re asking where you stand in relation to Apple’s best-selling smart phone. Do you already have one? What are your upgrade plans for this year? Will some disgruntled iPhone users be defecting to competing devices like the Palm Pre? Cast your vote in the poll box, either below or on our front page.

You’ve probably had time to check out our previous poll, where we asked TR readers how much they spent on their last motherboards. Attention clearly seems to gravitate around the $101-150 price range: that option got the most votes by far (33%), and $49 price ranges below and above it were the second and third most popular, respectively. The rest of votes progressed in decreasing order toward the extremes—super-expensive enthusiast or workstation mobos and bargain-bin offerings.

• Da_Boss

So I just nabbed a 3G S and It’s totally worth it coming from a 3G, provided you can sell the 3G for enough money.

The phone just doesn’t slow down. It almost feels like 3G internet was too much for the old ARM11 CPU to process, because the new CPU takes much more advantage. Webpages load like they would on a desktop, Games that struggled on the 3G (My Brute, Hero of Sparta, etc.) now run flawlessly on the 3G S.

I’d recommend it to anyone as I personally think it’s a bigger upgrade then the original 3G was… yeah…

• Hellsbellboy

I purchased a iPhone 3G S and I really like it. It’s easy to use, typing isn’t bad, I like the GPS capabilities, having access all the time to my email, Facebook, messaging, playing with VoIP, the games as I no longer have to carry my PSP or for music I don’t need to bring my iPod nano. I live in New York, take the ferry almost everyday and always have connection, haven’t had any issues with AT&T.

I don’t usually splurge on phones or calling, as my previous phone was a $20 cell phone from Virgin Mobile that I would put $20 of pre-paid credit on every month or two and I got through life just fine with it and access to VoIP. I do find the iPhone a nice ‘toy’, I don’t use it for calling much, but it’s convenient for a lot of other things.

• travbrad

I’m probably in the minority here, but I have never owned a cell phone at all, let alone a “smart phone”. I try to spend as little time as possible on a phone. I’d much rather talk to friends in person, since so much of communication comes from body language and the way words are said.

I can see how they would be quite useful for someone who is always away from home, or needs it for their job, but neither of those really apply to me.

• rhema83

But a basic cell phone is good to have in case of unexpected situations – for example calling AAA when your tires go flat on the highway. If your usage is really low, you can get away with a prepaid SIM and refilling it with $10 every 3 months when the credit is about to expire.

• designerfx

Android phone > Iphone, significantly so even (and WAY cheaper).

Obvious selection choices there. Not to mention mod-ability. I’m not saying google’s perfect but Android gets some nice updates which come down the line for all other android phones too (and a lot of them are coming)

• sigher

I hope someone links the results to all those sites that act as if everybody and every damn foetus and the voices in their head and their gods and other imaginary friends all have an iphone, inject a bit of reality maybe, it won’t fully penetrate their reality obviously, but it might shave off some of their thick layer of insulation against said reality.

• WasF

No thanks. I like my freedom better.

• swaaye

Yeah I have a 4 year old $70 refurb relic. It makes phone calls, texts, and even has a wee bit of internet capability. All I want from it is phone calling. I’ve dropped it about 100 times and it still works flawlessly. Used to have a Razr, busted that after 2 drops.

I just don’t understand why people want to use what basically amounts to a PDA with a smaller screen. I’ve had PDAs and they were fun toys but even they were too small.I had one of the Sharp Zaurus PDAs based on Linux. You could do anything you wanted with it. Port over your favorite source code, etc. I didn’t use it as a PIM though so maybe that’s my why I don’t get the new phenomenon we have today.

My dad and bro are big into the fancy phones. My bro and his generation (he’s a decade younger than me) seem to rather text people than talk to them and they have the phones attached to them, ready for texting, at all times no matter where they go. Uhg.

What amazes me most is how unreliable, damage-prone and unstable the fancy phones are. They lock up, they break. The UIs create extra steps. You pay a lot more for a lot less reliability and sturdiness. They are just not that great at just being a phone.

And I still don’t understand why on earth people want flip open phones. I hated that aspect of my Razr.

• MadManOriginal

I’m with you my luddite brother. Sometimes multifunction do-everything devices can go to far to the point of becoming jack-of-all-trades master-of-none. If a cell phone is not durable and relegates making calls to at best an equal standing with other multi-functionality why bother?

• indeego

The phone/voice aspect is the least used portion of my smartphone. I too wanted a phone first, IP communications device as a secondary use. As I started to use it more and more, most of my friends and coworkers used the voice pieces a lot less, where I’d estimate we communicate far less by voice than we used to.

SMS is also becoming less and less used, as most of us have gtalk capability on our phones, why bother with SMS or MMS limitations and/or costs.

I can easily see WIMAX services with VoIP taking over in the very near future. Voice is an afterthought, and I want the primary features to be net connectivity.

The GPS features of an iphone are well worth it to my GF . She uses this constantly for her client work. Several of the apps are quite useful. Remote, for example, allows us to change the music for our entire house, upstairs and down. Once you have done this, you wonder how you lived before it.

For myself, being able to VPN into work on the bus ride to work, rdp to a server to check a service, all within 2 minutes, easily pays for itselfg{<.<}g

• Thresher

I hate AT&T sooooo much. Apple has nothing on them for smugness.

Today, I went to the store. I know that my eligibility date is July 29th. But they extended that for prior iPhone users. My BlackJack 2 is fine, but I would like an iPhone. No big deal, but if I can get one at the discounted price, I’d take it. If not, I’ll wait.

So, I get up at the front of the line, thankfully it was only 15 minutes or so wait. I talk to the guy and he understands the situation and is getting ready to ring one up, when he stops and says, he thought I qualified, but the machine said “no”. So he does some research. Turns out because my bill is $88 a month and not $99 (which is apparently a cut off in the fine print), I’m not eligible. No big deal, in my position with my company, I know that the managers of AT&T stores have a great deal of latitude that they can use to retain customers. So I ask for the manager. I explained the situation: 5 weeks early on the contract, but supposedly grandfathered in, except that I spend $11 a month too little. I asked if he could help a little bit.

No dice. Not just no dice, but it was very condescending, as if he was saying “you want one, you play by our terms”. I made no threats to leave AT&T or to escalate, I just said “okay, fine” and walked out.

Palm Pre is looking kind of interesting.

• indeego

“So, they are willing to risk a 7 year customer to what boils down to the fact that I don’t spend $11 more a month on their service.”

Yes, absolutely, and every carrier is the exact same way. They really don’t care about the individuals on cell networks, they care about the mass tens of thousands of additions/deletions. Even talking to you about your options is a waste of time for them. They’d rather lose a current or potential customer that takes up 25 minutes of a sales reps time, all things considered. Those are 25 minutes another 4 customers can make sales ong{<.<}g

• Thresher

Actually, I work with cell carriers quite often as a part of my job and find that they are willing to bend the rules quite frequently if it means a retention, as long as it’s not too far of a stretch. Not with the iPhone. I suspect it has to do with their exclusivity as well as thin margins for them on the phone.

It really isn’t a big deal, I realize that if they hadn’t started that grandfathering due to some people pitching a fit to try to get out of their contracts, I wouldn’t have even been in contention. I was a month out and I know that. But to be told I don’t qualify because I spend $11 too little is kind of a slap in the face. I don’t have a family, I don’t use a helluva lot of minutes, but I have been using data since you could get it on a phone. Given as few minutes I use, I guarantee I am a money maker for them for what I pay.

Still, it was more the attitude than anything else. So, in a month, I’ll look at phones again. And I will still probably get the iPhone, but I WILL shop around and I may go to Verizon if they have something I like as well.

• ew

You hate them sooo much because they aren’t willing to bend the rules for special old you? Sounds just awful. Do you need a shoulder to cry on?

• Thresher

Honestly, I really wasn’t that upset about not having them bend the rules for me. More than anything, it was the crappy attitude of the guy. Waiting 30 days isn’t going to kill me and I realize that. Had the guy been halfway decent about it, I wouldn’t have written that.

• moose17145

I can completely agree with you on that one. I have had small issues with cell companies that I purposely turned into a bigger issue than it was because of they shear fact that some manager ended up treating me like garbage. I usually make a very conscious effort to be kind to the sales reps helping me (seriously many of them in in high school or barely out of in my area), as I have worked in retail a lot myself and know it sucks to have an asshole customer walking in and just chewing your head off over crap you can’t do without potentially getting fired. So I just go in with a good mood and if things can’t be made the way I want them, then no big deal. But if some manager comes up to me and just right off the bat treats me like a pile of garbage and is very condescending, then fine, screw em. When they ask me why I changed over to someone else I just tell them because their management were assholes to treated me like complete garbage and that I won’t take that from a company that I pay a lot of my hard earned money to each month.

• rhema83

Do consider the Nokia N97 too. 🙂

That said, AT&T has been getting worse. I was with them before the Cingular / AT&T merger and the attitude of the customer service staff was much better than it is now. The downward spiral came after the merger, and the “let’s ditch the Cingular name, but keep the orange logo” stunt. The arrival of the iPhone just made it worse. It wasn’t the iPhone’s fault, but AT&T (and possibly Apple) starting acting like it’s the best thing since sliced bread. Arrogance, snobbery, etc ran wild.

Needless to say, I am no longer with AT&T. I’m thoroughly enjoying my slim Nokia 5310 Xpressmusic and my next buy is going to be a N97. Screw AT&T. If you like the iPhone but don’t want to end up with crappy AT&T, suggest you spend a little more for an unlocked-from-factory model (European or Asian, your pick) and stay free.

• pikaporeon

I’m somewhat interested, but not interested enough to pay bell $400 to cancel my contract to do the required provider switch

• Peldor

I want to move to a smartphone, and would consider the iPhone, but I’m too cheap to part with the money for the data plan ($30 Verizon, no corporate discount on data, grrrrr).

Switching to AT&T would also mean I need to buy more minutes to make up for all the free Verizon mobile to mobile I use now. The iPhone is tempting but it winds up being $50/mo more. (And then the wife would want one too!)

I think I’m going to hang on to my plain ol’ phone for now. Maybe when my contract is up at the end of the year I can find a better deal.

• Left_SHifted

I have a jailbroken and unlocked iphone 3g.I love using it, but for some reason I gravitate back to my old blackberry 8120. I have pretty much all the things os3.0 adds to the mix(landscape keyboards, for example) from jailbroken apps, but my only issue with it is BATTERY LIFE.I would consider the 3gs only if they increased battery life, but they haven’t, so waiting for 4g, which will hopefully make the iphone travel worthy.Right now it languishes inside my home, the plaything for anyone who wants to pass time, not a serious phone, even though i have a prepay package on it and all, monthly fee about $5(converted from rupee, and yea that is cheap even after conversion).

• GFC

The only use for a phone i have is to check what time it is. I don’t seem to get why people need all those fancy iphones.

• wiak

i might get a Samsung i7500 Android Phone, why? the amazing 3.2″ OLED screen, 5MP Camera with Flash, Super 3G/WLAN, 8GB Memory + SDHC and Android, totaly beat the crap out of the now old iPhone 3GS

§[< http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1KSqeYBv5w<]§

• alex666

I watched most of that youtube video. No offense, it may be a great phone, but that is about the most obnoxious irritating video I’ve seen in a long time.

• LiamC

I watched a minute of that video and thought, “this is wasting my time.” Thanks for wasting my time. Pointless video. How many shots of the back of the phone do you need?

It’s not sexy.
      It’s not innovative in any way.
      It’s not made of brushed Titanium or depleted Uranium, it’s bloody black plastic. Slightly rippled black plastic at that.

• Coruscant

Taking a different look at the poll results… It’s actually stunning that 32% are interested in owning or already own an iPhone. Consider that fact for a moment, and then compare against what other phone would possibly show a comparable level of interest. The entire Blackberry platform? Maybe? Throw up a poll asking the same question regarding the Nokia E71 for instance. I’d be surprised if the positive responses topped 5%.

• Tamale

Too frustrated with Apple’s monopolistic practices to ever give them money.. even if I like some of the things they do.

That being said, I hate touch screens with a passion. I hope companies remember that a lot of people are in the same boat and don’t forget to keep making good discrete keyboard / display devices for quite some time.

Proud owner of a Nokia E71

monopoly? Son, you don’t make sense – how can you be a monopoly of like 8-10% of the market?

• BoBzeBuilder

Perhaps he was referring to the portable music player segment where apple charges an arm for hardware and a tooth for updates that should be free.

It’s not like they’ve taken anti-competitive measures. Pretty much every high-end player on the market is tied to its own (or a licensed) encryption system, and for the huge majority of downloads, the iTunes store is completely encryption-free. In theory, iTunes+ music should be playable on any device that can play AAC files. Not sure of the reality, though. They just do their own thing with tons of style and then charge you for the privilege. Can’t say I mind.

• DrDillyBar

iStuff

• End User

I love my iPhone 3G!

• boing

I am perfectly happy with my Nokia Xpressmusic 5800.

• adisor19

Got a 3G and i’m keeping it. Robbers and its minion Fido locked me for 3 years and with no HUP in sight for at least another year. I am contemplating selling it as it is currently unlocked and in good condition but not worth it IMO. Besides, the 3G S is not THAT much cooler compared to the 3G. Next year should be interesting however 🙂

Adi

• sroylance

I have a 1st gen unit that’s still doing what I want. It was replaced once under warranty when the touch surface wore out along the bottom edge (a common problem, I don’t have it in a case or anything)

v2 brought the only missing feature I cared about: exchange support. If the 3rd gen had brought an OLED screen, I probably would have jumped just for techlust, but now I’m hoping I get another year out of mine and see what’s up with gen 4.

• Kurkotain

i have a nokia 5200, and while it does have a music player, a slot for a 2 gb micro SD and a camera (sucky) i love it cause i use it only for calling people.
    only in situations that demand some distraction (waiting 3 hours until the next plane arrives) i use the music player. and only if i feel too tired to bust out my laptop out of my backback… i REALLY move my laptop everywhere with me, and its proven to be a rugged laptop, as my cellphone
    Nokia 5200 + 1/2, motorola c115 + 9999999999 (most resistant cellphone ever…even waterproof)

• FuturePastNow

I want one, but I’m not getting one this year.

• ManAtVista

I plan to get an iphone 3G S 32GB. I like the browsing on the ipod touch I have, but wifi is too limiting, I could get another touch browsing phone, but I want 32GBs of storage, because I only want one device and I want to watch movies on it when out of the house. So I’m pretty much stuck with the iphone 3G S 32GB, normally I steer clear of apple’s stuff but it’s the best device for my needs so I have to give them that much credit.

• Corrado

You realize that most (all?) touch screen phones have an SD card slot you can put a 16gb MicroSD card into right?

• Skrying

The market greatly shrinks when you want a capacitive screen. That leaves… the Android phones right now, maybe the Blackberry Storm (which has a world of other issues). Resistive touch screens are a pain to use. I would not wish them on anyone.

• Hance

I have a Storm and with the new firmware it is a much better phone than it was at the start. It still isnt perfect but is much better than before.

I wont get an iPhone anytime soon just because of AT&T. Put the iPhone on verizon and i will think about it.

• tay

The ShitStorm does not compare to the iphone 3G S in any way whatsoever. I plan on getting a 3G S (two as a matter of fact) and I can’t wait.

• rhema83

Get out of here, troll…

• Vasilyfav

I’d get one, but theres no way in hell I’m buying into the 2 year AT&T plan.

• Vasilyfav

When you link to things, make sure other people can see them without logging in to some random forum.

• Ashbringer

I fixed it.

• Skrying

Like not having a 3.5mm jack on phones that obviously need one? HTC just shoves out phone after phone that does bring anything new. Their interface overlay for Winmo doesn’t matter because resistive touch phones are horrible in use (blame Winmo, I know). The G1 and Magic are ruined by HTC confining themselves to Google sanctioned designs (please Google, the chin is a stupid design idea).

Yeah.. consistent is a good word for HTC. But none of their phones are worth caring much because they’re all on horrible or very immature platforms. Which is the real issue when it comes to a phone.

• SGT Lindy

This pretty much sums it up…..

Windows Mobile

Nuff said, move along.

• VILLAIN_xx

If all my friends who own an Iphone complain about battery life and receiving media mail as a pain in the ass…

Thats a overpriced mediocre phone device.

• MadManOriginal

No, and I don’t really want one or any smart phone for that matter. Not much of a drooling idiot consumer whore when it comes to gadgets like this which have monthly debt plans.

• fulltext

Another example of bloggers and techies living in their own seaprate bubble and writing as if the majority of users have or care about the same things, ie, the iphone, twitter, friendfeed, etc.

Tech bloggers are self-referential. They are writing for each other and a very small audience.

• fulltext

Tech bloggers are self-referential. They are writing for each other and a very smal audience.

• jackbomb

With the exception of the G4-867 tower I brought home and resurrected, Apple products are not allowed in my house.

• indeego

I have a winMo, Exchange + not wanting to ever invest in a BB server keeps me tethered to that. Also I like Verizon and find they are the best network for me. I’ll never install iTunes on any machine I use with regularity.

WinMo truly sucks. I can’t believe MS has ignored this market for so longg{.}g

• valrandir

If Apple gets even 30% of general cell phone market share as this poll suggests, they’ve already won the smartphone war.

Android is DOA so far, and the Palm Pre is having rather tepid sales compared to the iPhone, even when the iPhone is married to the terrible AT&T network.
    The only serious contender to the iPhone dominance is RIM, but even that may soon fade as Apple discontinues all classic iPods in favor of iPod Touches, further entrenching their app market dominance.

• Heiwashin

I really enjoy my g1 but iphones browsing experience is much better. I think i’m going to have to stay with my current phone if only for google being more open than apple for apps and the fact that i’m already comfortable with mine. Also the fact that i’m not in a contract is a factor

• data8504

I <3 my BlackBerry Storm.

• fishyuk

Likewise, it does all I want from it very well (any type of messaging, viigo, facebook). I’m not even slightly interested in games or videos on it, nor would I be on the iphone. I have a PSP (which I mainly use for video and only on long flights or trips) and an old nano (great for walking the dog), neither eats in to my talktime or web browsing time. Perhaps I’m old fashioned but until we get massive battery life under high usage the completely converged device doesn’t appeal, nor does the small screen for serious video.

The 3GS might have been of interest to me 6 months ago when I got my Storm (universal landscape Qwerty, mms, tethering) but looking at the UK prices it makes even my Storm seem cheap. Unbelievably expensive. If I were buying now, and they were the same price, I’d get the GS…but I’m not and they aren’t so no go Apple. Even my most rabid Mac friends can’t justify the cost.

• Corrado

I am a BlackBerry convert after 6 or 7 WinMobile phones. I got a hand me down BBerry Curve from my dad when he didn’t want to pay data charges anymore and I wanted something new. After 3 weeks of BlackBerry, I will NEVER go back to WinMo. Ever.

I’m up for a new phone on Vz in 4 months so I’m shooting for a BlackBerry Tour at that point. No interest in touch screens.

• ludi

Another plain-Jane “it makes phone calls and does SMS” user here. If I ever want the iPhone’s best features, I’ll keep my vanilla phone, get an iPod touch, and avoid the cripplingly expensive plans the iPhone requires.

• OneArmedScissor

And then you’ll get stuck paying $9.99 every time Apple informs all the hackers in the world that they fixed a bunch of security updates and are making people pay for the update. :p

• gml_josea

I wouldn’t touch any Apple product, not even with a ten foot pole.

• Vrock

Wow, contrary to popular belief (according to TR’s poll, anyway), not everyone:

1) Has an iPhone
    2) Wants an iPhone
    3) Cares about iPhones

In fact, 70% of people say that Apple can take their iPhone and….well, you know.

I guess one shouldn’t “expect many people to be contemplating an upgrade.”

Not necessarily true – I’d love to have one, but they’re not on my provider of choice. I’m EXTREMELY happy with Verizon, and have no plans to change. If they come to Verizon I’ll jump out of that 70% group and hop right on it.

• ltcommander.data

Well, it depends on how you look at it. 70% of people not wanting an iPhone might sound bad at face value. However, under the assumption that the poll is reflective of world-wide opinion, that implies that 30% of cell phone users want an iPhone. This is total cell phone users since the poll wasn’t restrictive to smartphone users. 30% share of people being existing or potential users across really only 3 models (iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3G S) for a single company that wasn’t even in the cell phone market 2 years ago can be consider a success.

• SomeOtherGeek

I thought the same thing when I saw the poll results then read your comment and I say not really…

We will get one, but not this year and definitely from from a carrier like AT&T. And probably not from Apple too.

Just waiting for more competition cuz I know there is better out there and just waiting a little bit.

Reasons:
      1) my kids are too young! 😉
      2) AT&T is a rip off – see, being deaf, data only is all I need, but no… I have to have a phone or text plan along with it for a service change of 50 bucks a month! Riiiip! I’ll wait a little bit.
      3) our current pager is working just fine. BB 8700G. Awesome still to this day in comparsion with most other carriers. And 30 bucks a month is more afford, still high, but we must have one.
      4) Apple and AT&T sucks!

• Sargent Duck

Where’s the “No, and I don’t even own a cellphone” option?

• Vrock

I was in that crew until 2004. Then, I got a phone-only cell phone (no stinking camera, MP3 player, etc.) and dumped my land line. Haven’t had a land line since and couldn’t be happier. I have a BlackBerry Curve for work, so whatever…but my personal phone is just that: a phone.

• moose17145

Yea same here. My phone is only that, a phone. A very durable phone, i made sure i spent the extra money for one that could survive a contruction site. But other than that, it’s just a very durable phone. No camra, no MP3 player, yet it does support 3G surpisingly.. too bad I never use that aspect of it. Hell it wasn’t until recently that I FINALLY caved in and got a damn texting plan. Even then it was mainly because everyone else I knew prefered texting instead of calling someone. So I mainly only got it for the sake of making my life easier since everyone else prefered it that way.

• JSchwetz

Same story here. The problem is that most people just assume that everyone else has free text message capabilities on their plan. I finally got a texting plan this year after realizing it would be almost as cheap to pay the monthly fee as it would be to pay the $0.15 per message fee just from the messages I RECEIVED from other individuals.

It’s nearly impossible to avoid getting text messages without asking your provider to reject all incoming messages by default.

• Voldenuit

Part of the problem is that America (and China) are two of the few countries where carriers *charge* people to receive calls and text.

Growing up in Asia, then living in Australia and travelling in Europe, I never realised how pampered we were in the rest of the world, and was unprepared for the royal reaming American carriers expected me to bend over for. And yeah, silly me, I got AT&T, so I was asking for it. :/

Oh, and international rates in the US? Beyond ludicrous. No wonder Skype is hot.

• adisor19

All of my friends in the states have T-Mobile actually and most of them use unlocked phones.. Yet in all these comments i’ve yet to see anyone mention this carrier. How come ? If us Canadians had another GSM carrier, we’d be all over it in order to escape from Robbers…

Adi

• Voldenuit

Skype isn’t a carrier. It’s a VOIP app that’s free between Skypers, and has very good rates between Skype and conventional lines.

In the “there’s an app for this” category, yes, it’s also available on iPhone.

• Skrying

AT&T is in the middle of the pack in expense. It’s funny how many people love Verizon but the truth is for a smartphone they’re about the worst you can do cost wise. Sprint is the best (by far). T-Mobile is a non-starter for many because their coverage is terrible in many less populated areas and they’re just now started really rolling out a 3G network.

Verizon has big coverage and “decent” customer service (I take it with a grain of salt, very few people have used the carriers enough to actually give an opinion on this). But the cost is outrageous. Over a two year contract they end up being around $1500 more than Sprint with comparable plans.

• moose17145

I currently am using Sprint. They seem to have about the best coverage for some of the places I go. Mainly out to the family cabin where it a total crap shoot on cell coverage. What’s funny to note though, my phone seems to get a better signal than any of my other friends’ phones. They come out to the cabin and even in the middle of the lake they don’t get crap for signal (even the ones with the same provider as me), yet I am getting 3 or 4 bars worth of signal when we are in the middle of the lake. Funny because I’m the only one who paid extra money for a better PHONE while they all paid extra for the 600 different features and what nots that they don’t ever use. Guess all that extra money I paid went into a better transmitter so I can actually get a signal to a tower that’s farther out.

• moose17145

sigh… despite how much I rely on my cell, I very much can see how people were happier without them. I have to admit some of the best times in my life have been camping where there wasn’t snow balls chance in hell that someone could contact, call, or text you.

• indeego

Where do you live? I camp 10-15 times during the sunny months throughout the NW and cell capability is a rare exceptiong{<.<}g

• moose17145

I live in Minnesota. When I was in scouts we would do high adventure trips to the boundary waters along the MN Canada border. One year we went to Wyoming and were hiking in the Rocky Mountains a couple miles above sea level. The family has a cabin near Birchwood WI. There is technically cell reception there.. but you know… it’s sporadic at best. All the trees aand thick underbrush seem to do a good job blocking cell reception. It’d good enough to send and receive text messages, but phone calls tend to cut out quite a lot of they even go through.

• odizzido

I was in the no cell crowd as well until about 2 weeks ago. My cell phone is about 1/5th of the monthly price of a landline one where I live.

• clone

no iphone and no cell phone…. I had a cell phone for about 6 months 8 years ago.

if I do ever get a cell phone it’ll be to replace my land line but in truth having previously had a cell phone I love that when I leave the house I leave it all behind.

please leave your name, number & time called and have a great day.

• Vrock

You do know that you can leave your cell phone at home, or even turn it off. Right?

• clone

it’s never that simple.

ppl will ask continually “I called your cell phone blah blah blah” then they get annoyed or offended.

in the end it comes down to why would I pay for 2 lines when I only need 1?

I’ll move on to a cell phone eventually when they become less expensive to use compared to a land line.

• vince

I’m in there too. Until they have a reliable cell phone for $5/month (and yes that does just calls), I’m not interested.

• moose17145

You do know you can go out and buy any cell phone and not have ANY calling plan on it and 911 will still work right? Federally all cell phones are required to be able to call 911, even if the owner has a deactivated line or never had one in the first place. So if all you want is something that will work with 911 then you can have that for free (outside the initial cost of the cell phone itself). Or better yet, wait for someone else to get a new phone, and then ask them if you can have their old one. If it needs a new battery just replace that and you should be good to go.

• PetMiceRnice

Agreed there. I’ve never owned a cellphone in any shape or form and have no desire to get one. There were a few instances in the last 10 years where one would have been nice in an emergency, but I can count such instances on one hand. I will stick with my land line.

• SomeOtherGeek

Were you all waiting for me to jump in? 😉

This is definitely an option for deafies! Is a pager a cellphone? We have a BB 8700g with data only, does that mean we have a cellphone?

Ooo! Deep thinking going on…

• A_Pickle

Yeah! Features! Who needs those?

• A_Pickle

Being on Sprint, I have no desire to get such a backwards and primitive device. I shall be getting the Palm Pre. 🙂

• dpaus

I’m going to look at the Pre very closely, but right now I’m still fully functional with my Treo 700

• adam1378

same here, got to wait until july to get the Pre. I am extremely happy with Sprint and its service…can’t beat the cost. I am using the Instinct and just missing the google maps and wi-fi

• A_Pickle

I’ve been using a Sprint PPC-6700 for two years now. It is an ancient brick, by other cellphone standards… but I flashed it to use Windows Mobile 6.1, and with modern other applications (like Google Maps, etc)… it was still very useful. Sadly, the battery isn’t making good contact in the phone anymore.. and so it dies randomly.

Now I’m relegated to my old-ass Sanyo SCP-200, one of those phones that’s pretty much “only a phone.” Being unable to do useful stuff on my phone with all of those “useless” features, like being able to look up a business’s address and phone number from Google Maps, or being able to jot down a note in OneNote Mobile… etc.

Anyways, looking forward to a Pre in summer. 🙂

• Jakubgt

Remove the data plan at&t forces you to buy, and I’m sold.

• Hattig

I don’t think the contracts are good value, I don’t think I would use the web browser that much (I’m around a computer 12 hours a day already), I don’t want something ‘precious’ that I’ll worry about breaking.

I’ll stick with the free phones for £17 a month. Next upgrade in December so will see what the best free phone is then.

However I will be getting the “iPod Touch S” later this year.

• dragmor

I don’t own a mobile (lifestyle choice), but work has a iphone 3g that we use for call outs, business trips, etc, most of the time it sits in a draw.

• Creamsteak

I don’t even own a cellphone.

• deathBOB

I want one but I can’t really afford it.

• Shinare

Another vote for no , and no.

• albundy

not a chance in hell, lol! no use for it, thats all. it cant play video without converting the hell out of it, and itunes just makes my stomach turn. There are better alternatives out there.

• Richie_G

I find there’s an inverse relationship between how sophisticated a phone is, and how long it lasts; at least in my hands.

• not@home

I agree. I have a Nokia 3595 that seems bulletproof. I get 5 days of battery life. It can withstand being thrown at a would be muggers head. It conveniently does not have the features I do not want to waste my time with. And when certain people call me I have the excuse that my “old phone” wasn’t working. What more could I ask for.

• Meadows

Why would you need one of those again?

• prtzlboy

Honestly I’m not an Apple guy, but the iPhone is a pretty slick device for the regular consumer and if it weren’t for the crazy expensive plan, I’d have one already. My Blackberry Curve on the $30 SERO plan will have to do, for now 😉

• oMa

Were is the “i used to have an iPhone, but it broke after 2 months”. A phone should withstand normal use, and normal use includes drops from hip height. My phone broke after one drop. 1 cm is not touchsensitive(useless, i cant write my pin code)

• StuffMaster

Yeah, an iPhone needs protection to withstand drops (I keep a rubber shell on mine). It is kinda sucky that way.

• SNM

Wait, really? Well, shit. I assumed it would be like my iPod Touch (which has withstood multiple sliding drops from 5+ feet, a few onto concrete) or the original iPhone (mmm, Ars Technica stress testing).

• Meadows

You can’t make something pretty and resilient at the same time.

• Vrock

Maybe they should have focused on making it functional and resilent, then?

• mattthemuppet

then it wouldn’t be an Apple product!

• SomeOtherGeek

• flip-mode

$20 phone here, almost 2 years old. It receives calls, it places calls, it tells time. That’s about all it is good for; that is about all I need.

• CheetoPet

I like my $30 non-internet having piece of crap.

• [SDG]Mantis

Way too expensive. $30/month data with no messaging on top of a phone plan? Even if you get a modest $5/month messaging plan, you then are talking about $420/yr. above any voice plan (and on top of the price of the phone). My own circumstances put me near WiFi often enough that while neat, an iPhone is far too expensive to justify getting one. I could just buy a netbook per year instead.

• crose

Just picked up a HTC Magic last week. So far so good.

• BooTs

My work provides me with a free blackberry and it works great.

• d2brothe

Wow…no love for apple so far….

Nope. Not until there’s a Verizon version.

• ssidbroadcast

Uh, Blackberry *[

• BoBzeBuilder

Blackberry FTW!!!

• DrDillyBar

BlackBerry FTW!

• eitje

BBFTW!

• nagashi

No, but I’d really like to, I’m just too poor right now and expect to be for the remainder of the year :/