Next-gen iPods might have video cameras

From the "why don’t you just get a music-playing phone" department: TechCrunch reports that Apple may be planning to add video cameras to its mainstream iPods. Quoting an anonymous Asian source, the site says Apple has ordered "a massive number" of cheap camera modules priced "in the $10 range."

Adding a camera to the next iPod touch would make sense, especially since that device runs the same software as the iPhone. However, TechCrunch says the order "is supposedly so large that some people in Taiwan are speculating that Apple may be planning to bring cameras to the lower end of the iPod line, too." The aforementioned Asian source expects all but the iPod shuffle to feature cameras soon.

In a separate story, Mac Rumors has posted pictures of purported silicone cases for a next-gen iPod touch and iPod nano. Both cases have a little camera-sized hole at the back. As Mac Rumors points out, though, silicon case prototypes aren’t always solid evidence of future hardware—we’ve yet to see that iPhone nano materialize.

• YeuEmMaiMai

lawl and this is innovative how?

• MadManOriginal

Because it’s from crApple!

• sschaem

The order number might not be as large if Apple used more then one camera per device…. hint hint…

• StuG

But…can it play crysis?!

• Decelerate

No, but it will be able to take pictures of someone playing the game 😛

• Dr_b_

A Camera? Big deal how about an OLED screen and an HD radio?

• MadManOriginal

Zune HD anyone? :p Actually I was mildly dissapointed to see MS is probably going to do flash only with it. That will leave almost no high capacity players 🙁 Flash still has at least a few years before they’ll even make 120GB players let alone at $250.

• Skrying

A 32GB version of the Zune HD is confirmed and rumblings of a 64GB version are pretty strong. Ripped to MP3 at say 256kbps that is about half of my collection. I like the simplicity of just putting it all on the mobile device but I really don’t see Microsoft or Apple releasing a physical platter based device for battery life reasons.Unlike those massive useless slat jobs Archos puts out people expect their iPods and Zunes to get 20 hours of battery life.

I actually was missing my Zune for a bit until I downloaded the Zune software yesterday. Wow! They’ve managed to make a sluggish app completely unusable! Just idling that sucker takes up 200MB of RAM and more importantly it hits 50% CPU usage when downloading a podcast and playing a song. How is that even possible?

• Hattig

Ah, and the Zune software initially seemed so promising in terms of actually not being a clunky slow beast.

• MadManOriginal

Yeah it’s just an unfortunate transition period between the demise of HD players while flash hasn’t caught up in capacity/$, although there is a 240GB 1.8″ drive it’s too thick for mainstream devices where the smaller the better. And don’t just look at available capacity but price too, the cheapest Zune HDs are going to run what the 120GB does now.

• MadManOriginal

p.s. I recently got a Zune 120 partly for this reason and partly because I figure it will be good for years in one use or another, I’m no longer in to shiney-new-whatever upgraditis. The software isn’t bad as far as I’m concerned but I ONLY use it for syncing and as long as that works it’s all I care about. There are a few minor shortcomings like handling multi-disc albums but that’s a problem for lots of players and programs.

• Ricardo Dawkins

the software handles multi-disc albums just fine. the problem is the device firmware.

• MadManOriginal

I didn’t mean that the software doesn’t handle them fine although that’s how it reads, I did write it in a different sentence though. :p It’s not a big deal to me because my mp3s are only for portable use but I prefer not to have ‘disc x’ in the album title or ‘track 1-24’ for track numbers. Anyhow the SQ is very good in to lower impedance headphones and I’m pleased with it overall.

• Farting Bob

Yea, screw what everyone else wants, i dont need that! Put this stuff in so i will be happy!

• glacius555

I am trying to imagine Shuffle with a camera..

• TO11MTM

Well yeah, the focus will just be shuffled.

That, or maybe you’ll be able to control it with Facial Gestures… That sounds as gimmicky as most Mac stuff, right?

• glacius555

I wouldn’t say that. However, I wouldn’t wanna use facial expressions, let alone voice commands to switch my mp3 tracks.. Just imagine a bus/metro full of people that make weird faces or shout at their iPods to skip to the next track!

• MadManOriginal

You’d be pretty screwed if ‘next’ was a voice command…’Next Stop!’ lol

• Vasilyfav

Oh god!

It’s an image capturing device!
    It’s a video capturing device!
    It’s a media playback device!

It’s 3 in 1, how amazingly awesome.

/s

• equivicus

Yes but can I use hand gestures to dial the phone hands free?

I know it sounds crazy but just wait and see. 🙂

edit: yes I know your hands aren’t free if you are gesturing! 🙂 This was a jab at the whole “theres an app for that” campaign.

• indeego

There is a tripod app that holds it steadyg{<.<}g

• albundy

wow, talk about innovation!

• eitje

yep, ahead of their times.

• Hattig

The cameras look like a done deal, to be honest.

All they’ll bring is convenience when syncing, compared to a mobile phone. They can’t possibly compare to even a low end standalone digital camera.

• MadManOriginal

I read your comment three times and am still confused. How will a camera add convenience to syncing? WiFi – yes, obvious advantage. Camera – ??, can’t figure out how it helps syncing.

*Oh, maybe you mean that assuming one is going to choose between iPod and mobile phone as music players with both happening to have cameras, that the iPod is more convenient to sync?

• deathBOB

Apple sux?

• FuturePastNow

I think he’s saying that syncing the iPod to get pictures off it will be easier than getting photos off a normal digital camera. Although that just involves finding a USB cable.

• Hattig

Yeah, that’s it. basically syncing the photos on a mobile phone camera is a pain, I have to use bluetooth which is slow, and cumbersome to navigate.

• ludi

True, but it only needs to be good enough for YouTube.