Windows 7 ‘achingly close’ to final build?

Deep inside the Damage Labs NewsCenter, I learned this weekend that Windows 7 had been released to manufacturing, meaning the operating system had been finalized and preparations would begin for its release this fall. A number of sites have reported the news, which means it must be true. Except that this guy at ZDNet seems to be very familiar with how these things work, parsing out the version strings in the purported screenshots of the RTM build, and he is unwilling to say definitively that the OS has been completed. Looks like we may have to wait for the final word from Microsoft before being entirely sure.

With that said, I’ve been running the RC on a couple of different systems here, and it seems to be pretty much what Vista should have been, with some real look-and-feel innovations that can improve usability and fewer boneheaded problems. As a result, I’m pre-ordered to the hilt, ready to install Win7 on all of the major PCs around here, including my HTPC, as soon as I can get my sweaty hands on it. Could it be that we have a Windows release worth looking forward to? Shocking!

• sluggo

Apologies if this has been asked and answered, but can one do an in-place upgrade from the RC to the RTM version?

Normally I’d do a clean install but reinstalling apps is getting tedious, esp when some games need gigs of patch downloads.

• dpmeersman

I’ve been running Vista since one of it’s beta releases in both 32 & 64 bit and have had no problems. I did upgrade to a new system with Vista’s release so I knew I had enough overhead to run it. No complaints from me on Vista but I will upgrade to Win 7 to stay current, plus $49 to upgrade is a reasonable price to pay. Sure there is free stuff out there, but as a business man I don’t hold it against another business to charge for their product. There are those who think it’s a crime for MS to have the nerve to charge for a product, I’m not one of them.

• WaltC

The amazing thing is that the great majority of people who complain about Vista are the people who’ve never used it. Wait–did I say “amazing?” Not really…;) What’s amazing is the number of people who allow gossip and rumor to substitute for their own experience.

• WaltC

In Vista, yes, it is…;) I’m too lazy to reboot into W7 RC at the moment, but I’d be surprised if it wasn’t there, too.

This kind of thing always happens when functionality control gets moved inside a GUI–it takes people awhile to learn the newer GUI layout…;)

• Nomgle

Erm, so why don’t you just use something else ?

§[<http://www.freecommander.com/<]§ displays folder sizes just fine, for free, and it's a far (FAR !) more powerful file manager than Windows Explorer !

• rhysl

If you have an ATI card get catalyst 9.7 which is out.. fixes isses in WIndows 7 with these cards and Mediz centre

• UberGerbil

That isn’t in the View tab (Advanced Options) of “Folder Options” in the control panel?

What build # are you using?

• Meadows

Driver updates and certain software installs have this inconceivable and unjustifiable need to ask for a reboot. I know, it’s terrible. Whenever that happens, I want to get back to whatever I was doing at the time.

It’s even more important when I’m troubleshooting, or testing a new hardware device, or buying a new processor and playing with it, because the number of reboots explodes and I still might want to see a specific folder instead of a blank desktop every time.

Otherwise I just leave the computer running 24/7, shifting power management profiles back and forth but never even sleeping.

I’m not aware of a usable alternative, but I welcome any recommendations.

• DrDillyBar

When 7100 expires, I’ll just reinstall Vista x64 at this point.

• Wajo

I complain because my country (mexico) was not included in the lower price promo, and that makes me angry at MS for not respecting their international customers (especially since piracy is widespread here and lower cost could be a way get more people to pay for software)

• KoolAidMan

The upgrade pricing is a great deal, no sane person should be complaining about it.

• KoolAidMan

OS X is my preferred and main OS but I agree, Vista is the best Windows so far. Thing is solid as a rock with no creeping slowdown as far as I can tell and it is secure as hell. It destroys Windows XP. That said, I can’t wait for Windows 7 to go official. The unnecessarily convoluted GUI of Vista is the main problem I have with it, and Windows 7 goes a long way towards streamlining things that bother me about it (on top of making Search work consistently, etc etc).

But yeah, after Vista SP1 came out I really couldn’t see any reason to keep XP on my PC.

• glacius555

I am with you on that. In fact, all my BSODs were hardware related, since I overclock..

• glacius555

I am satisfied with Vista, only user account control did bother me on the beginning, but after setting that up, it just worked! Overall, I am happy to have a 64-bit OS that works!
    EDIT: Almost forgot, I hate that it can’t remember folder settings sometimes..

• SPOOFE

Dear Microsoft,

I don’t know why I’m writing you a letter. I have some vague sense that I need to complain about something in my life, and since you’re a Big Corporation with Oodles Of Money, I figure I’ll blame you for all the problems I’ve had. Please don’t take it personally.

Sincerely,

Average Whiny Tech Geek

• Ricardo Dawkins

dont worry: it just works!

• Ryhadar

I’m pretty sure I did, but I will try it again, thanks for the tip. I’m using W7 64-bit RC, by the way. You?

Update: Yeah, looks like that was the trick. Some of the extra modules that came with the Diamond edition didn’t install, but I got around that by using compatibility mode. Thanks again.

• FuturePastNow

And Hauppauge. Hauppauge and their damn TV tuner driver has given me a couple of BSODs.

• cygnus1

I suppose we could have just stuck with the win 3.x gui.

program, but more so file manager FTW.

• Scrotos

Realtek NIC drivers brought me down a few times, can’t remember if it was blue or black with text on the crash. A few updates of the driver later and it seems ok now. Now it’s an overheating video card that’s doing me in, but no bluescreen for that, just black.

• Scrotos

I guess Vista was fine when all I did was web browse and use it as a secondary system. Once I moved it to be my primary system, ugh. And man I wish Homeworld 2 would work without disabling DEP–I can’t bring myself to jack with the OS (yes, I even leave UAC on) just to play a game I love.

I wish I could say it’s fine for ye olde browsing and gaming, but my older games don’t always work under Vista.

• cynan

double post.. Damn server lag!

• cynan

Been using Vista 64 for the past year. Only time I’ve ever had BSOD or any type of stability issues was when AMD dropped the ball with their Catalyst 8.10-12 display drivers. Anyone with crossfire and Vista 64 were out of luck if they wanted to try to install those drivers. But all’s fine with current drivers.

Only other problems with Vista 64 for me has been trying to share files with my older XP machine and using eSATA with a particular Vantec external drive (I think the SATA chipset in the enclosure is just not supported by Vista 64). My two other eSATA external drives, which are more recent, work flawlessly.

• BobbinThreadbare

I waited until SP1, very few problems after that.

• cygnus1

Exactly. $99 is a deal and the full price upgrade at $199 is normal. What I don’t get are the people that want it for free or the cost of the media.

This isn’t the same situation as when 98 SE came out, and you could upgrade from 98 for like $20.

• ssidbroadcast

Dear Duck,

We’re glad you enjoyed our product. We’re interested in knowing how you were able to use it without any problems, since around the office here we’re still having issues ourselves. Perhaps you could come down to Redmond sometime and show us?

Sincerely,

Microsoft

• eitje

because he likes to turn off and/or reboot his computer!

• SomeOtherGeek

Cuz most people don’t do them kinda things. They boot up and play games and then turn it off. Piece of cake and it works for them.

Put a geek in the mix and all OS suck! We are good in finding the false, then bitch about it and then find the work around.

• Kurotetsu

I’ve been quite satisfied with Vista, but $99 for an upgrade to Windows 7 Professional was too tempting for me to ignore.

• Philldoe

Amen. Win Vista has been lovely to me, though I do intend on moving forward to Win7 x64.

• lamparalaptopiaguita

it’s gonna blow any second! HOLD! HOLD! HOLD!

• MadManOriginal

You mean all those J6Ps who ‘deal with file management and network shares’?? At least you had the beer part in there…

• MadManOriginal

Why do you logoff your PC at all? Is there more than one user? You can simply set it to ask for password upon wake, use sleep when you’re not going to be using the PC, and that way you’re secure if the PC is in a place where there may be curious folks who would try to get in to your PC.

• drsauced

Nope, Vista still sucks. I’ve been running Vista64 for about a year now, and in my view, it sucks. It’s just harder to get stuff done, especially dealing with file management and network shares after having a few beers.

Honestly, just thinking like Joe Sixpack.

• indeego

The 7 RC build has BSOD’d twice in the past month on my laptop, fine on my desktopg{<.<}g Vista has never BSOD'd on me, (Display driver has crashed plenty though.)

• cygnus1

If Vista had stayed in it’s launch state, maybe. But not after the service packs and driver improvements that have come along. Vista is fine, and people should be fine paying the upgrade price if they want 7.

• yfital

Indeed, been using the 32 version up until about half a year ago, the 32bit was great, the 64 is even better.

only BSOD i ever had was because of a problamatic network card, but i really can’t blame M$ on that.

Will move to 7 64bit probably. dunno when though, maybe @ dx11

• Scrotos

It’s kind of odd. There were so many Vista bashers not but a few months ago on any Vista-related thread, yet now all I see are shills saying how wonderful it is and how it never caused them any problems, yadda yadda yadda.

Yeah yeah I know these are real people, not shills, but still, odd to see the turnaround in comments.

I’m not a fan of the random UI changes just for the sake of change and have been using the Win9x/Win2K style of UI for as long as I could. It makes me sad that Win7 won’t support that UI anymore, though I guess some other people are hacking together alternatives.

I am also so very very sad that I will have to retrain all of our employees if we ever deploy to Win7 (even Vista’s “win2k” UI isn’t the same, if we ever deploy that, either) for no real reason other than MS wants to force a new UI paradigm down our throats. Sure as hell doesn’t make IT’s life any easier in the role we have at my current job.

And I *still* have problems trying to network between Vista and XP on my home network, Vista telling me I don’t have access to my own local hard drive when all I am trying to do is map to a remote XP machine! What’s with that! Argh! But XP can get to Vista just fine. That doesn’t seem like a great productivity enhancement to me.

• Scrotos

This is AWESOME on so many levels! Mainly because it’s what people tend to tell Mac users when Mac users want to play games. “Boot into Windows” “Buy a gaming PC”

I never thought I’d see the day when a Windows OS would be getting people to do the same just between versions of Windows, but I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. That has happened a few times before anyway with the DOS to Win9x leap and again with the Win9x to WinXP leap (some games and applications only running/installing on WinXP, not even [email protected]#)

But still, it elicited a snicker from me!

• Kurotetsu

Translation:

“I’m not going to use Windows 7 for this reason.”

“Oh yeah, well Vista’s even worse for this completely unrelated reason! HAH!”

I’m not sure how that helps Meadows’ problem with Windows 7 though….

• StashTheVampede

My job was testing my company’s software compatibility against Windows 2000, along with our competitors and we had to use off the shelf software installed on these boxes to get data from it.

Windows 2000’s beta were bad with application compatibility, I know this for a fact. If the application worked on NT4 and didn’t require some low level driver, you were probably in good shape (unless they had some custom printing setup).

Vista hurt more because of have a 64bit version (which is coming to users that don’t know about it since 4GB is getting common on notebooks). That, alone, has hurt a ton of people because of non functional plugins, printer drivers, etc.

• ElderDruid

I agree. I really don’t know what everyones’ problems are with Vista.

Been using Vista x64 for a long time now, and ever since SP1, I have not had ANY complaints.

P.S. I’ll qualify these statements by saying yes, you need to have the hardware to run it. As an “every man’s” OS, I’m sure Windows 7 will be much better.

• bdwilcox

That’s great and I’m happy for you, but try that on a worldwide scale with 100,000+ everyday users trying to get various old office equipment and critical programs up and running.

• bdwilcox

The problems with Vista were compounded by drivers problems, but the main problems with Vista were Vista related, not driver related. Windows 2000 improved with better drivers and service packs, as does any OS, but it wasn’t a nightmare out of the box like Vista proved to be.

• bodom81

Vista 64-bit has been the best OS I have ever used in my entire computing life. I have never once had it BSOD, I have not been infected by any virus! And I have had zero problems with memory or drivers!

Sure they changed things around a bit from XP but BFD! You have to learn where the new/old features are but that takes maybe a day or two of getting used to, and once you disable all the security checks (my god annoying) you’re in the clear! and it is smooth sailing.

(reply to #2)

• bdwilcox

If you think that’s bad, in Vista Microsoft took away the ability to list folder size in Windows Explorer. Thus, TreeSizePro and FolderSize can no longer work in Windows Explorer’s detail view. It wasn’t like they made it difficult or confusing, they made it impossible by removing the API that allowed such extended (and critical for my work) functionality.

===================================================

Jam Software, makers of TreeSize Pro, states that such functionality isn’t possible in Vista:
    §[<http://www.jam-software.de/support/index.php?action=artikel&cat=5&id=5062&artlang=en<]§ TreeSize Professional on Windows Vista: Where is the shell extension that adds the TreeSize column to Explorer? It does not appear. Unfortunately it is not possible to provide such an extension for the Explorer of Windows Vista, because Microsoft has removed the used interface from this version of Windows. Microsoft has officially confirmed that a similar extension of the Explorer is not possible under Windows Vista. Last update: 2007-09-04 14:03 Author: Ajoschi Roth =================================================== The developer of FolderSize (a free, open-source analog of TreeSize Pro) discusses Microsoft's removal of the necessary API in Vista §[<http://foldersize.sourceforge.net/vistasucks.html<]§ "But I quickly discovered the updated documentation for IColumnProvider, which states that the API has been removed for Vista, and the Property System replaces it. The property system seems to be about reading data out of a file stream, such as ID3 tags from MP3 files. It is about metadata that can be indexed by the new search system. I am hoping that there will be a way to simply display dynamic data... but if it were so easy to do so, why couldn't Microsoft have provided an IColumnProviden-to-Property-System wrapper? Why make me do it? What are we paying them for? 1 copy of Vista costs more than all the donations I have received for Folder Size (I am glad to have received any)! Microsoft spent its resources contacting me, asking me to participate in the "Works With Vista" logo program. This means I need to get a digital certificate that Microsoft software trusts, which will cost me $99. Couldn't I just put a message on my website that says "This program works with Vista," wouldn't that be good enough for 99% of people? "Yes," says the Microsoft representative, "that would probably work, but you didn't hear that from me." I told him that I wouldn't qualify for the logo anyway, because Folder Size doesn't work with Vista, because Vista removes the API I used to use. He tells me to check the MSDN forums. There has been a question posted there for some time now, with no reponse. I don't understand the business sense of paying someone to call me to advertise a "Work with Vista" logo program, but withholding product keys from people to help them get their programs actually working with Vista, and providing no technical support. I guess Microsoft is dead. Perhaps the next version of Folder Size will be for Linux." =================================================== Developers on Microsoft's Developer Network Forums discuss the API's removal and the lack of any alternatives: §[<http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/windowsgeneraldevelopmentissues/thread/2056b237-574d-483c-8ecd-f2842dd70081/<]§

• Grigory

^ This.

• Meadows

They’d better put back “restore previous folder windows at logon” in Folder Options or I’m not buying this garbage.
    They’ve just broken something (several things) that never needed fixing. Actually, they did worse than breaking them, they took them away.

• DreadCthulhu

Neverwinter Nights doesn’t work on your Windows 7 install? Works just fine on mine.

• StashTheVampede

As a beta tester of Windows 2000 (using frequent MSDN builds), I’d have to disagree with that statement. Windows 2000 had huge problems with drivers (nvidia’s beta drivers were terrible and forget IDE support if you didn’t have an Intel chipset) and application compatibility.

Windows 2000 introduced so many things over NT, it was to be expected. This is also the reason why it was unleashed to the very careful enterprise people over (most) the consumer masses.

• bdwilcox

Dear Microsoft,

Thank you for releasing an OS so buggy and confusing to use for prior Windows users that you have increased my support business four-fold.

Sincerely,

Tech Support Guy

• bdwilcox

Windows 2000 didn’t have anywhere near the quirks in functionality or usability that Vista did.

another game that loaded right up for me. Are you patched to 1.69?

SO CLOSE IT HURTS!

• Vasilyfav

Well, I’ve just downloaded something called 7600 build (the real RTM?). I’ll install it later in a VM and see how it goes. Can’t commit to primary OS just yet.

• StashTheVampede

You should thank Windows 2000 users for XP.

• GFC

Using Windows 7 RC and I haven’t seen any issues (except maybe Crysis). Looking forward for the full version.

• Sargent Duck

Dear Microsoft

Thank you for putting out Vista that has allowed me to increase my productivity.

Despite what others may say, Vista has been a very good OS to me, giving me ZERO problems and reminding me how dated XP is.

Sincerely,

“The Duck”

• flip-mode

IMO, anyone that paid for Vista should be torrenting 7. That would be righteous.

• Xenolith

What games are you having problems with? All the old games I play work fine.

• Ryhadar

Further still, why not just buy a cheap hard drive and put your XP license on it for those games that really won’t run on W7? Never Winter Nights 1 comes to mind for me.

why not put the game exe in compatibility mode? I have not had ANY gaming problems with the exception of Worms Armageddon.

• eitje

This weekend, I put the RC onto ALL of my computers at home. 🙂

• bdwilcox

Dear Vista users,

Thank you for being unwitting test subjects in our OS improvement project. Thank you also for paying for the prerogative.

Sincerely,

Microsoft

• pogsnet

Share this post with your friends!