Analyst: Pine Trail postponed until 2010

The Atom N270 and N280 may have a bit more life left in them still. According to a senior analyst for DigiTimes Research, Intel has decided to delay the launch of its next-generation Pine Trail platform for netbooks.

Intel had working Pine Trail laptops on display at Computex last month, and it said the new platform would hit production in the fourth quarter. Rather than a processor, north bridge, and south bridge trifecta, Pine Trail has just two chips: a system-on-a-chip and an I/O controller. The SoC includes an Atom core and integrated graphics.

DigiTimes says Intel previously planned a launch late this year, too. In order to "avoid impacting the netbook market in second-half 2009," however, that’s slipped into early 2010. PC vendors building Pine Trail-based systems are still waiting for "the situation to clear up," the report adds.

• Dagwood

K8 and Nehalem still have a “north bridge” it is minus the memory controler, but as I understand it Pine Trail is integrating the whole northbridge into the chip. My point is that, it would make a whole lot more sense for intel to come up with a new single chip “chip set” to replace the ancient G945 that is so popular with Atoms.

You stated that the final goal was a single chip computer, I am not sure I agree. Intel has already made single chip computers, if they wanted to make a single chip Atom based computer I don’t think an intermediate step is needed.

• UberGerbil

For Moorestown, Intel wants to enable limited customization of the chipset by 3rd parties and fabbed at TSMC (though the chips will still be Intel chips), in a sort of “poor-man’s ARM” model. It’s much easier to do that if the CPU/GPU piece remains constant while the “northbridge” (or rather IO chip) mutates. Pinetrail is a step towards /[http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2009/07/-a-new-rumor-in.ars<]§ §[<http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3522<]§

• ssidbroadcast

Your wagon axel broke, you will have to wait 3 days to repair it.

• Hattig

That’s bought Cortex A9 another few months …

And yes, #1, moving the southbridge into the northbridge seems the sensible action to take here, as you’d get the same overall benefits of motherboard size reduction. Still, Intel want the I/O to be configurable and to allow third parties to create modified I/O chips. Also Intel wants to kill NVIDIA’s Ion, and by integrating graphics, however lame they are, they achieve that very nicely.

And VIA had single chip MCMs with C7 and chipset on for years. ‘Luke’ or something.

• Trymor

Kill Atom in consumer books with keyboards already.

• Dagwood

I am not sure I get the need to integrate the GPU into the atom processor. If your trying to have a two chip solution it would be seem to be easier to integrate the south bridge into the north bridge rather than the Northbridge into the CPU.

If you’re trying to have a one chip solution, well, I think they exist already.

• Game_boy

Integrating the northbridge into the CPU increases performance. It accounted for a lot of the gain of K8 over K7 and Nehalem over Core.

And the goal /[

• eitje

as GB said, there are performance gains, as well as platform leverage.