NZXT intros $60 gaming enclosure

Value is the name of the game these days, and that holds true even for enthusiast hardware. Case in point: NZXT has introduced the M59, a "gaming chassis" that delivers a surprising number of features for its $59.99 price tag.

The M59 has a flipped internal layout with the power supply at the bottom, and it includes room for five fans (120 to 140 mm). NZXT has made sure to drill plenty of holes through the motherboard tray, as well, which should allow users to remove CPU heatsink mounting brackets and route cables around the back. Speaking of drilling, liquid-cooling aficionados will also find two holes for pipes.

On the storage side of things, NZXT has outfitted the M59 with four 5.25" bays and seven 3.5" bays. The internal 3.5" bays face the side of the chassis for easier access, and there’s even a special bracket that can play host to a pair of 2.5" solid-state drives. Other, miscellaneous features include front eSATA connectivity, a meshed front panel, and an "ambient light" that sits over the 5.25" drive bays to make access easier in dark environments.

Look for the NZXT M59 to hit stores in August. Until then, you can check out the gallery below for some images.

• Freon

Looks decent. It has the right basic features and a great price.

I’ve VERY sold on transversely mounted hard drives. It’s such a chore to install hard drives when you’ve got a PCI card or two, or a long video card with power plugs off the end. I really don’t know why this isn’t the standard already.

I’m also sold on putting the PSU at the bottom, since this means the PSU pulls fresh air from outside the case. Only trick is getting a PSU with a long enough 12V aux connector.

These were the two must-haves I was looking for when I got my case. I paid $20 more for a CM 690. This one looks very similar, even down to the two 120mm fan mounts on the top rear. The front fascia is a bit much for me, though.

• Jambe

I like the apparently upward-angled input panel and the coated interior. Otherwise, eh.

• Prion

I miss Enlight cases. Conservative design with a solid build, yet very inexpensive chassis.

• Hattig

Yeah, I had a couple of their MATX cases in the past. Clean design, no fuglisms, functional interiors, good price.

• TK9K1

Is a ripoff of the Rosewill Wind Knight, which is a ripoff of the Antec Nine Hundred… I’ve had the opportunity to work with both of these cases, and from the looks of things, I wish they had taken more cues from Antec, and less from Rosewill. The Antec case intelligently inverts the power supply in the bottom of the case, so if you have a PSU with a downward-facing fan, it will face up, and not be obstructed by, say, the floor. This case, like the rosewill, does not, only this one appears to have even less ground clearance. The tool-less brackets on this one appear to be modeled after the useless ones of the rosewill, too, though at least in this case it appears that there is room to attach your cables to your hard drives without mounting them in backwards. In the end, I loved working with the Antec, but the ripoff case was just a huge disappointing debacle, and threatened to hinder my plans or fall apart when you looked at it funny.

tl;dr: There’s a reason the Antec Nine Hundred is $100 more than these ripoff cases, it’s because it’s $100 less of a headache. From experience, the Antec IS WORTH the extra cash.

• kamikaziechameleon

The power supply slot looks like it should go both ways. And at a 60 dollar price point this is a steal of a case for first time builders looking for reasonable cheap cooling, just drop two extra 140 mm fans exhausting out the top and you got yourself a wind tunnel. For under 80 dollars. allot of first time D.I.Y.S.ers won’t want to spend 100 or more on a case and this looks like a real good 60 dollar deal. Beats the Antec 300 for sure, assuming it has intake filters built in, i hate improvising and installing my own. If they do intake filters and make them easy to clean then this is more than a good deal it’s a phenomenal case!

• ssidbroadcast

For some reason, when I first saw the headline I thought it was an aftermarket case… /[

• totoro

Looks like the drive cage from the sonata. Not bad, except for the weird plastic junk on the front.

• KeillRandor

That case doesn’t look tool-less to me… (Screws? ‘NOOOOOOOOOOO!’ – (re: Darth Vader)).

• SomeOtherGeek

My thought exactly, but then it looks like you can go buy the parts to make it toolless? It has the holes designed right, no?

• FireGryphon

Probably not the quietest case out there, but it looks awesome, like it belongs in the Quake II or DOOM III universes. NZXT’s cases are usually pretty cool looking, but build quality is the big question here, as I haven’t used any of their cases.

• kamikaziechameleon

But for 60 dollars you can afford to pick up some fans or fan regulators/speed controllers to bring the noise level down to acceptable levels and still be under 100 dollars. That is a good deal. Maybe I’m just paranoid since I’m having a ongoing heat struggle with my 9800 GX2, but I love the amount of Air flow possible in there. Just tell me their are intake filters.

• SNM

It’s all about the build quality. Nobody should care about the features without that.

• superjawes

$60? That case isn’t just functional, but it is sexy.

• idgarad

One Word: Fugly

• albundy

i couldnt put it better myself. does nobody like the sleek look of lian li anymore?

• Skrying

I do. Lian Li and a select few Silverstone’s (though they’re getting worse every release here). I really miss the old Coolermaster ATC cases, those were beautiful now Coolermaster makes nothing but ugly.

• Tamale

how about antec?

• kamikaziechameleon

I wouldn’t say fugly, a little noisy yes but there are so many other cases that just plain hurt to look at and don’t offer anything resembling actual function.

Ultimately I like it, i wouldn’t put it in my living room but if i was still living in the dorms i think it would have looked sick. There is a time and place for most design ya know.

• Kulith

Well I think it looks bloody awesome.

• Hattig

Shame that the case got damaged in transit before they took the photos.

• Goty

Yeah, that case might look halfway passable without the giant dent….

• Skrying

No kidding. Why do these companies feel the need to ruin good internal design with awful external?

• Swampangel

I thought it looked kindof like someone kicked in the front of an Antec 300.

• UberGerbil