Enermax Staray has fancy LED fans, motherboard stand-offs

Speaking of affordable gaming cases, Enermax has just launched a new mid-tower enclosure with beefy cooling, a tool-free design, shiny colored lights, and a relatively modest price tag.

The Staray includes Enermax’s new 120-mm Apollish fans, which have magnetic "Twister" bearings and are adorned with 15 LEDs each. The $70 red version of the Staray has three of ’em (one at the front and two on the side), while the $55 blue model has just one at the front. Both cases also have one 80-120-mm fan mount and a pair of holes for liquid cooling at the rear.

Otherwise, Enermax has left room for four 5.25" drives and seven 3.5" drives, with one of the 3.5" bays facing the outside world. The company also boasts about including "all features made up a modern case" such as two front USB connectors, dust filters, and "motherboard stand-off screws." (Our sources suggest the case incorporates holes-at-the-back-for-expansion-cards technology, as well.)

• Dr_b_

Most cases are either too big, or too small.

If you want a mid tower sized build, but want to use modern grfx cards, heat pipe heatsinks and fans. you run into space constraints.
    Your only option is to get a full tower which is often like using a suitcase. Mid Tower needs a new spec, that is about 1-2″ longer to accomodate these grfx cards, 1-2″ wider to allow clearance for heatsinks, and 1-2″ higher to allow for SLI.

• Convert

q[

• StuG

I do like the fans

• Saber Cherry

LEDs on fans are great bait for dumb wastrels. If I ran a fan company I’d fire anyone who ever suggested selling LED fans. I wonder how successful a company could be now days if it deliberately avoided the ‘idiot’ demographic?

• oldog

Gents,
    Why is it that tower cases that almost always sit on the floor have the on/reset buttons and usb ports at the bottom of the case?
    You have to be a yoga instructor to plug in your usb coffee warmer.

• UberGerbil

Actually, a lot of newer cases are smarter about that. See the Antec 300/900/1200 or many of the recent Coolermaster (590, 690, etc). I agree though, it took them a long time to figure that out and some of them still haven’t. There are people who put the tower on their desk next to their monitor, but they were always an odd bunch (and as systems have gotten hotter and noisier, and especially as screens have gotten wider, there are even fewer of them now)

• StuG

I have to admit i have 2 monitors and refuse to put my box on the ground. When its off the ground it collects much less dust, is easier to maintain and to be honest less in the way (moving around my chair, I have nothing to hit. its not as hard to pull off as you would think. In my case, I did as anybody else would do and set up my desk w/o my box on it, and than i pulled a dresser of around the same height next to it and put my box up there. I still get all the work room I need, and have my box off the floor.

And I’m also obsessed about having my PC silent…but for others I could see the problems. Another thing you should realize is that you could always hit the on button with your toe? 😀

• UberGerbil

Like I said, “An odd bunch”

Mine sits on the desk so my daughter doesn’t press the power or reset buttons (since she’s a year old).

As a result, I’m super-picky about my cooling, too. I have nothing but 120mm Cooler Master 1300RPM fans in my case and a silent PSU, along with aftermarket cooling on both my video card adn CPU.

• Convert

How long have the fans been running?

Just curious, it’s hard to find quiet fans that last.

• albundy

I havent used mine in years since my pentium 4 days. A good motherboard should allow you to configure any key or mouse button as a power up button.

• albundy

Cases these days seem way overpriced compared to a decade ago. Back then you got a solid steel case WITH a PSU. It did the job. Most if not all cases these days come by as empty very thin shells, probably worth less than $5 in materials and labor to put together. Its no longer just about alloys. Its about cooling, noise absorption, and tool-lessness which I am finding very comical in most cases.

• UberGerbil

Yes, and that PSU was a sub-80% efficiency 250-300W model that you’d have to replace today anyway, and it probably had one noisy ~60mm case fan if you were lucky. I still have one of those steel behemoths sitting in a closet, and it’s easy to put together a case+PSU for under $100 that is vastly superior in every respect.

• mesyn191

Don’t you mean sub-60% efficiency? Those PSU’s were crap, you didn’t really notice it back then because overall system power draw was also much lower back then too for a consumer high end rig.

Ventilation sucked royally on them too. 60 or even 40mm holes only sometimes, any fan with decent airflow in that size was not only loud but high pitched which was much worse.

To be fair they often did use much thicker/studier steel, that made modding them a real bitch with a dremel or a hand punch though.

• UberGerbil

Probably — I never saw a review of (or even a thought given to) efficiency in those days, but I don’t think you can find anything less efficient than 80% today, which is why I picked that as a ceiling. And yeah, tiny noisy fans.

I don’t really see the problem with thinner steel — they’re not going to spontaneously collapse under their own weight, and you shouldn’t be using them as furniture or structural supports anyway. For something shoved under a desk or on a shelf, it simply doesn’t matter, and less weight means less waste (and easier to move when dusting). I have to say, though, that even mid-tower cases are starting to look ridiculously large, considering how great and full-featured mATX boards (and even ITX) boards are these days.

• TurtlePerson2

You should do what I did. You take a beige box case and spray paint it black. I also cut some holes for extra fans, so that it’s be a bit cooler.

• Starscream

Looks a lot like the Coolermaster Elite 330.

§[< http://images.hardwareinfo.net/products/large/058837-3.jpg<]§

Yeah, it surely does. I should have noticed since the 330 is the case I’m using.

• SomeOtherGeek

This is most definitely a nice case! Thanks for sharing. For 20 bucks more than yesterday’s model, we get 3 “cool” fans and tool-less to boot.

Damn, the $100 build is getting there…

• ssidbroadcast

Hey you guys always say tool-free is better, but idk. I used to have this budget case that had these sliding “clips” for the expansion cards and they sucked. They had NO way of fastening securely so the AGP or PCI card was basically secured by the strength of the slot it was resting in.

• Tamale

nah, tool-free isn’t always better, but I can tell you that those fat thumbscrews they make now for fastening case covers on are far better than having to reach for a screwdriver every time you want to get into your case 😉

• SomeOtherGeek

Now, that is an idea!! You should patent that!

• danny e.

I wonder who actually makes that case because I’ve seen about 4 manufacturers selling the exact same thing.

• ironoutsider

Ahh… With all this new hardware, I’ve been itching to build a new PC. My dual 4830’s don’t always seem to cut it… Maybe a single 4890 this time and one of these cases. IT’s pretty nice.