Few new Acer, Asus netbooks may come before 2010

We might just catch a short break from the crazed pace of new Eee PC launches, according to DigiTimes. The site quotes “industry sources” who claim that, since Intel has pushed back its Pine Trail platform to early 2010, both Asus and Acer will leave their netbook lines largely unchanged until then.

Pine Trail will bring about the Atom’s successor, which will feature a system-on-a-chip design with microprocessor, memory controller, and graphics on a single die. We saw working Pine Trail netbooks in June, but recent reports suggest Intel has indeed delayed the platform’s launch.

We may not see a cornucopia of new Eee PCs this year, then, but DigiTimes says Asus still has three systems in the pipeline: an Eee PC T101 nettablet that will debut after Windows 7, plus a netbook based on Google’s Android platform that will “not show up before the end of October.”

Acer, meanwhile, will stay the course with current 10″ Aspire One netbooks. DigiTimes notes that the firm did have plans for a “dual-OS” netbook with both Windows XP and Android, but it has postponed that machine because of weak demand. Acer, like Asus, may focus on consumer ultraportables (presumably based on Intel’s CULV processors) for the remainder of the year.

• Damage

Nuked yet another post for profanity. Read the rules, folks, and follow them.

• dustyjamessutton

Gee, that’s too bad we have to wait for the next cool thing. I mean, how can I live without a new model or the newest cool gadget? It’s sad to see everyone has to have the next best thing to be happy. Computers and gadgets are fun and all, but even if the economy crashed, at least I would still have my friends and family. My computer is fun, but it doesn’t make me any happier. Now I will sit here and wait for people to rip on me for being preachy. Go ahead, I can handle it, I’m secure with myself.

• ludi

Preachy, schmeachy. Pass the pipe.

• ironoutsider

This is funny because

1. This article is not about anything new or shiny, its old technology with a twist for people who want low end computers at affordable prices.
      2. This is a technology review/news website.
      3. WTF does the economy have to do with this article?
      4. Computers and technology help connect people together.

• Kurotetsu

I’d like to rip into you, but I have no clue what your post has to do with anything. You don’t seem to be talking about this article at all, that’s for certain…

• gtoulouzas

It’s not casual users, it’s laptop makers that are destroying their own industry.

What reason is there to spend upwards of 800 bucks on a “mainstream” laptop that still has the same old piece of shit GPU, when the 300$ netbook will do office and web just as well (and 3D graphics just as lousily?)

• Beomagi

How? by making it more ubiquitous? It’s got more power than laptop bricks I lugged around back in 2000/2001, making it enough for more than just day to day tasks, while being light, and cheap.

• ironoutsider

Great, more news about old disposable PCs. Dual XP and Android? WTF? What’s the point anymore. Gah! Casual Users and consoles are destroying the PC industry.

PANIC BUTTON!

• ssidbroadcast

I used to have one of those back in the 90’s. It replaced my Escape key.

• EndlessWaves

Disposable PCs? If you think a £200 machine is disposable then the problem is with you, not the industry.