Poll: What are you most looking forward to?

Looking at the latest roadmaps, both official and not, it’s hard to be indifferent about the wave of shiny new products coming this year. We can look forward to Windows 7, of course, but also Intel Lynnfield processors, consumer ultraportables and netbooks loaded up with Win7, and quite possibly DirectX 11 graphics processors from both Nvidia and AMD.

Also, naturally, existing products will probably be subject to price cuts once all the new stuff comes out.

We’ve just put together a new poll to ask which of the above you find most exciting. Are you dying to upgrade to a cheap Core i7 system with next-generation DX11 graphics? What about netbooks that don’t run an eight-year-old version of Windows for once? Or are you getting your credit card ready for clearance sales on older hardware? Hit our poll either below or on the front page to have your say.

Speaking of Windows 7, you might already have seen the results of our last poll. We were wondering if our readers thought Chrome OS stood a chance against Windows 7, and as it turns out, many just aren’t convinced. 31% said "No way," while 26% only expect Chrome OS to be relevant in super-cheap netbooks. In total, almost half of all voters don’t think Chrome OS will stand a chance outside of netbooks, and only 7% see it being a worthy competitor to Win7 in full-sized machines.

• paulWTAMU

Price cuts. I’m a cheap SOB, and I keep putting off replacing my dead desktop. So stuff getting cheaper is my favorite.

• jstern

I’m also looking for cameras with the new JpegXR format. I’ve been waiting 2 years so far.

• conjurer

Tegra netbook with ubuntu ๐Ÿ™‚

• albundy

no need to look forward to windows 7. still running latest beta. DX11 is where its at. I just built a new rig with a cheap radeon 4670 that will do the job until dx11 comes out.

• mattthemuppet

Win 7 CULV laptops > Win7 (though I’m happy with the RC) > cheap SSDs

• Symmetry

I’m already running Windows 7 and I just got a new desktop, so what I’m really looking forward to now is Arrandale laptops.

• JdL

Low-priced SSD’s. Why isn’t that an option? SSD’s have got to be the most fantastic improvement in personal computers since the Dual-core processor came out.

• ew

I would have picked an SSD option too.

• 2x4

DX11 cards is one thing, but more importantly a lot of new titles fully using DX11. this is what im waiting for – a combo of the two

• flip-mode

lynnfield > price cuts > dx11 > win 7

The missing item would be a new AMD chipset that exhibited zero issues or concerns with SATA. I don’t know why I’m hung up on that, but I am.

• brm001

Starcraft 2!!!1

• Decelerate

7 years of waiting and counting…

• Hattig

I’m not really excited by anything there, except maybe if AMD’s DX11 cards are high performance and cheap.

Windows 7 … meh. Fixes the Vista debacle, and hopefully will kill off XP.

Intel CPUs? I’ve lost track of the codenames and brands despite following hardware sites every hour of every day. I really have given up.

Am actually kinda hoping that Apple updates and price cuts the Mac Mini. Maybe I should hand in my hardware site membership cards.

Now beer at the end of the day, that is always good, always refreshing, always delivers, reliable, tasty, brilliant stuff. I simply don’t understand why it doesn’t have 100% of the vote…

• Shinare

r[

• PeterD

“Windows 7 … meh. Fixes the Vista debacle, and hopefully will kill off XP.”
      Well, it won’t…

• PeterD

One missing item: sofware and hardware which does what the companies claim.
    Would be a tremendous improvement.

• Firestarter

beer

They say that anything with wheels or boobs will give you a headache and bleed you dry..

• Meadows

I’d say W7, but since it’s broken, I’ll stick to Dx11 videocards.

• flip-mode

Why?

• mattthemuppet

because it’s Meadows, he has to pontificate eruditely about something afterall

• asdsa

What??? My English is pretty good but those two words…

• DrDillyBar

pontificate – Talk in a dogmatic and pompous manner
            eruditely (erudition) – Profound scholarly knowledge

• HurgyMcGurgyGurg

Don’t mean to insult you and I have a feeling you know the words legitimately, but isn’t it amazing what Dictionary.com can do for the rest of us?

SAT vocabulary seems so arbitrary and pointless now… (Speaking this as a young person dealing with the SAT)

• cheerful hamster

Just got it today, Universal Audio’s plugin emulation of Empirical Lab’s Fatso. Being both a computer geek and an audio engineering geek ensures that my wallet is always empty.

• willyolio

win7 ultraportable = automatic CarPC.

• Kurkotain

Beer (damned 10 character limit…)

• SecretMaster

I swear someone posted this and I was gonna respond to it but I forgot. Now I just went back to look and i can’t find it. But someone responded with “eternal rest”. And I wholeheartedly agree.

• odizzido

I am not looking forward to anything right now. My computer runs every game I throw at it so I don’t see any point in upgrading.

• thermistor

Anything cheap that will populate socket 775 and can OC to 4 Ghz and use stock cooling.

And really cheap warm beer.

• pdjblum

faster and cheaper ssd’s

• continuum

Yep, price cuts on existing hardware please.

Although I admit the X25-M gen2 160GB at $450 is pretty good looking….

• mesyn191

Voted for price drops on current stuff.

I want to see much cheaper SSD’s and “value” 4 core LGA775 C2D’s before they EOL them. That would be one hell of an upgrade from a bang vs. buck perspective if you’re like me and got a ~3Ghz+ dual core C2D and some fast hard drives..

• jjj

1.Larrabee -just to finally see if it will bring anything worthy to the table
    2.USB 3
    3.SSD prices in~1 year

Edit: and faster/lower latency DDR3

• mesyn191

Larrabee as a GPU will probably be mid-range performance at best, which is horrible considering its supposed to have a huge die size (~600-700mmยฒ), so it’ll probably run fairly hot and be fairly expensive too. It might make for a hell of a server chip (ie. competent x86 Niagra wanna-be), I doubt Intel will allow it to compete with its server chips though, they’ll gimp it for that purpose somehow.

USB3 sounds cool, but its too new. Early adopters most always get screwed when it comes to buying cutting edge hardware (look at all the problems people had with SSD’s, or heck even 1st gen USB if you can remember back that far…), and I think the same thing will happen with USB3. Oh sure, it should work fine with all current USB2 devices, but the first USB3 devices/controllers will probably be buggy and expensive. I’d hold off buying until 2nd or even 3rd gen southbridges/drivers/devices are out before buying, they should have all the bugs worked out and the prices down by then.

I don’t think there is anything on the RAM front to get worked up about either. Main system RAM bandwidth/latency is pretty good as is, AFAIK there isn’t much if any software that is bottlenecked by it right now. Maybe if they did something crazy like switch to XDR RAM or go back to slot based CPU’s so they could do quad or even octuple channel RAM… THAT would be crazy and should get great performance, but it’d probably be too expensive too.

• jackaroon

SSD, >= 250GB, <= $400, TRIM support.

• Chillectric

I’m looking forward to cheaper SSDs like the X25-M G2 and Windows 7… but not only for me… for the workplace. It would make everything faster and easier… I just hate XP from a user experience and technical viewpoint.

Also looking forward for a PMP (I still don’t have one)…

Zune HD, Next gen iPod touch or some Zii EGG device hmmm….

• clone

voted beer at the end of the day.

price cuts was a very close 2nd, I can’t get excited about the foundation I must use to enable my computer to perform it’s daily tasks from research to decryption to surfing to playing the exciting games… it’s a tool to me nothing more and the rest are totally off the radar.

if MS offerd a totally stripped OS that allowed me to install only what I needed and sold it for 25% off the regular price I would be excited about it.

• fpsduck

DNF returns (somewhere, somehow)

• jstern

I voted price cut. I’ve been waiting so long for 32GB Micro SDHC cards to come out, which was not on the list, but will lower the price of the 16gb version. I also want a 2TB WD hard drive, waiting for the price to come down. I want to replace my DVDs with Micro SDs and Hard Drives. I already pre order Windows 7, and since the RC is working just fine, I probably won’t install it until March, just in case I get a new computer. No problems at all with the RC.

• End User

Snow Leopard

• jdrake

Same here – I’m looking forward to an extra 6gb of space on my HD.

• ssidbroadcast

Same here. [2]

• blastdoor

I voted “beer”, but I agree with Snow Leopard — it sounds like it will be a great deal at just $30.

• tam1138

10″ ION netbook

• kuraegomon

DirectX 11 GPU’s, because I game at 2560×1600, so more power is always good. Plus, Nvidia’s 300-series looks like some kind of monster. My current cards are 8800 GTX’s, and my rule of thumb is usually waiting for triple to quadruple the processing power before I upgrade.

SSD price drops (particularly on X25-M G2!) are a strong second. When one of the 160 GB ones drops below $300 (or some other SSD that can beat it across the board), then I’ll take the plunge. Should be sometime next year ๐Ÿ˜€

I won’t be buying Lynnfield – my OC Q6600 + 8 GB is still going strong, so I figure 32nm socket-1366 is my next stop. I like following the developments, but don’t like incremental upgrading too much. I do the big plunge every few years, then crawl back into my lair …

• ClickClick5

DX11 GPUs…meh.

Just a few more good deals on stuff now would be great!

• sigher

Sadly I’m not looking forward to anything currently.
    W7 is windows, so meh
    ultraportables, what would I do with them really?
    lynfield CPU’s, before I have one they’ll be outdated, or are they already? and all mobo’s will be like now, too expensive too soon outdated and with issues that are manufacturer specific but all of them have issues which makes spending a lot seem a waste, and anyway current CPU’s are 200 times faster than 10 years ago, and make windows seem 2% faster in practise.
    DX11, it’s DX and I expect little from it, plus it needs w7 and what if I hate w7 as I do vista?
    Price cuts? really? I don’t see it happen and again there’s nothing I so much want that I’m desperately waiting for price cuts.
    Beer, I hate beer, and I don’t drink alcohol so that’s just fortunate then eh.

Perhaps cheap SSD’s are something I’m waiting for, but I’m a bit let down from the initial hope now that we found all the flaws of the technology, and they are not even cheap yet :[ still they have some gleam left for me.
    Oh and a new wave of companies making decent nice drivers/firmware would be something that would cheer me up no end, that’s just a theoretical thing though and I have no expectation at all that that will happen, but boy that would be sweet, imagine that you could install a new ATI driver for instance and it wouldn’t bluescreen your computer or make the screen go blank or green so you can’t see anything, imagine things would just work and each update of drivers or software would just be improving things and adding things instead of breaking them and adding DRM and crap like that.

• OneArmedScissor

I was going to agree with you, until I saw the part about how you don’t drink beer. Now I think you’re just being a complainer. :p

But really, SSDs are still getting cheaper, very quickly. The pre-order price for the new Intel SSDs is already $225.

Consider that the original version of those drives was something like $700 when it came out, less than a year ago, and they went down to $300, with very little competition.

The impending price cuts on existing OCZ drives are already drastic enough to make them competitive with the new Intel drives. Those don’t even use a new manufacturing process, yet. The SSD market is about to really heat up.

When more new drives come, those things are going to be just as affordable as normal hard drives. They won’t have the capacity, of course, but I find little to complain about when new 500GB drives are down to $49, and 1TB is under $100 and dropping.

• sigher

๐Ÿ˜‰
        I have another thing I’m looking out for, large screen OLED (or other more attractive technology than LCD), when it’s in my pricerange though, but yeah I think better displays with a reasonable price would be welcome.

• OneArmedScissor

I think that’s going to be a heck of a wait. I’ll settle for affordable LCDs that just don’t suck, though, like more with E-IPS panels.

• sigher

I know, it won’t be quick, especially since the industry is so hell-bent on trying to keep LCD going as a technology.

• barleyguy

LCD is reliable. It’s gotten to a point in its development where the quality has gotten good. OLED, at this point, is chronically unreliable. The blue elements have a tendency to die under stress testing, and are expected to die in the field within a couple of years. So it’s being used to make small cell phone displays until they can get the kinks worked out. People tend to upgrade cell phones within a couple of years, whereas non-techie consumers can expect a TV or monitor to last 20 years. OLED simply isn’t there yet, but hopefully will be soon.

• sigher

Reliable is a bit of an odd term for a display.
            I mean that’s not the thing you look for, you expect display to work that’s not the issue with them, but I guess you mean ‘proven technology’ when you say reliable.
            But it also has proven drawbacks that are just part of the LCD technology.

• packfan_dave

I said Lynnfield, but really, it’s the mobile Nehalem variants. For some reason the 2 GHz C2D laptop I bought in late 2006 has been rather unreliable, but I didn’t want to buy another laptop until I could get something that’s noticeably better; right now I’ve got a cheap desktop I use as my main PC.

• fantastic

I voted for Windows 7, but I guess 2nd generation SSDs and the next line of Intel CPUs too.

• Krogoth

Very good beer.

Windows 7 does get a mention, because it is more of a less Vista should have been at launch.

DX11 is a moot point. I will wait until at least second to third generation hardware to think about upgrading.

• oMa

Bulldozer!

• wesley96

iPhone in Korea. Two years in the waiting, still no show.

• Xylker

Been a long time since we’ve seen you posting regularly on the front page. Nice to see you are still around!

• danny e.

a lot of exciting things coming up.

1.) MuteMath == new album
    2.) Flyleaf == new album
    3.) Windows 7
    4.) Visual Studio 2010
    5.) Adobe CS5
    6.) Canon 60D
    7.) New Video Cards

• boogz

Price cuts on existing stuff. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Fighterpilot

When I joined this site in 2005, benchmarks such as 3D Mark,Super Pi etc were very popular and consequently any performance increase was eagerly awaited and debated.
    Now with even low end video cards and CPUs being able to produce good numbers and benchmarks having been somewhat discredited, the whole competitive nature of various hardware alternatives has dissipated.
    Its hard to get very excited about new parts coming along when the current stuff is so good and incredibly cheap compared to how it was back then.

• twizttid13

An iPhone 64gb with Verizon service. The day I can combine both phone and mp3 player will be awesome.

• PRIME1

Black Friday.

• cygnus1

the only thing i can think that i might want for a black friday purchase would be a tv for my bedroom, but i’m still up in the air over whether or not i even want one in there

• PRIME1

I’m thinking $49 Blu-ray player.

• ImSpartacus

Google Wave.

Office 2010.

Bioshock 2.

• danny e.

office 2010? really? hmm I quit caring about office after Office 2000.
      Does any non-business person need anything besides open office?

• indeego

SATA 6Gbps + USB 3 actually. I think that will have the greatest impact on my day-to-dayg{<.<}g

• relish

Considering that Windows 7 is already here, I have to say *[

• relish

Oops. <double post>

• TechNut

I’m looking forward to my new HD4870 to replace my aging GT6600.

• BoBzeBuilder

Opeth’s upcoming album.

• alex666

I’ve been into computers for quite a while, and building my own since 2002. I’m a mod on a popular computer forum site. When I saw this poll, my fist thought was that I have never been so bored by the enthusiast scene as I am now. There is really nothing in the PC scene that I’m really looking forward to. m not sure why. Maybe it’s me, I don’t know. AMD has a lot of good stuff out there now, and the i7 is a great chip. I love W7 RC on my 300g velociraptor. But it just all seems like more of the same, incremental, nothing really new and exciting. Stuff is good now, the mobos are terrific with great features, video cards are faster and cheaper than ever. But I’m totally yawning about all of it.

Anybody else having the same reaction? Or do I just need another vacation (I know, I’m asking for it)?

• SomeOtherGeek

Yea, I get that sometimes. So, I just look for the next challenge. Right now, I’m just researching for the fastest for the cheapest… And the 100 dollar PC. Getting there, but it is hard. The PSU and HDD are pricey which surprises me.

• cygnus1

yeah, i can see how you could feel that way. i’m mostly looking forward at getting already available stuff cheaper.

now if content (movies, software, games, etc) can follow the hardware and get cheaper too, that’d be nice

• sigher

I’m in the same hole, and also not sure if it’s me or something else.

• WasF

I so relate to that.

Last thing keeping me awake was the search for motherboard with native great fan control.. (which could happen now if SpeedFan was to support ยตGuru 3.1), but even that doesn’t get me excited anymore (too much waiting?).

I get bored more easily nowadays..

• bthylafh

Windows 7, but only because the other stuff doesn’t really interest me.

• Scrotos

I forgot to get a copy during the preorder for Windows 7. At $50, I was excited about it! Would have gotten two copies!

…but at the regular price, I honestly don’t care about it. Just costs way too much for me to justify a single copy. Ain’t that a bitch?

But MS gets almost all of its sales volume from OEM, so it doesn’t really matter that they’re losing 1 or 2 retail sales to me.

• kvndoom

Eternal rest.

• Xenolith

Still looking for that ultraportable for $500 that can play Far Cry 2.

• BenBasson

You can reproduce the effect by carrying around some shit in a bag.

• DrDillyBar

Beer all the way

• SomeOtherGeek

Cheers!

• ssidbroadcast

A cold one in hand, is a day I can stand.

without a doubt, Win 7. My desire for ultraportables is officially zero, DX11 GPUs aren’t really going to help when my monitor resolution is 1440×900, I just bought so price cuts aren’t attractive, and beer hasn’t had much appeal lately.

• cygnus1

how about whiskey? it is whiskey wednesday after all !!!

I dunno, I just don’t have any urge to drink anymore. I also quit eating sweet stuff and super fattening stuff. Now I buy All Bran at the grocery store. I think I’m 31 going on 82.

• flip-mode

Pot brownies?

• Bluekkis

Windows 7 is just a service pack over vista, nothing special there. Not using windows anyways so hardly anything exciting there. I’ve stopped buying any new games, simply not worth the prise for a hollow candycane games with chain and ball attached. Only buy DRM free games these days, mainly from GOG so thats why DX11 hardly interests. AMD > Intel and I only take beer after sauna, not at the end of a day so that pretty much leaves only the prise reduction option. ๐Ÿ˜›

• TheBob!

Well aren’t you just high and mighty.