Lian Li unveils two king-size PC enclosures

We’ve seen a handful of affordable enthusiast cases debut lately, but nobody’s forgetting about the high end. Lian Li, for one, has just announced a pair of enclosures with a plethora of enthusiast-friendly features, like a tool-less design, ample internal capacity, and mounting points for two power supplies.

The PC-A70F and PC-A71F share the same internal design, but their front panels differ. The former has a removable bezel with a set of nine horizontal gaps covering the dual 140-mm, 1,000-RPM intake fans. Meanwhile, the PC-A71F has a door with air holes on the sides, and it covers its dual intake fans with more conventional-looking vents. Lian Li bills that one as a quieter offering.

Otherwise, both enclosures feature ten 3.5" drive bays, two 120-mm exhaust fans spinning at 1,500 RPM, a removable anti-vibration hard drive cage, two rubberized holes for a liquid-cooling system, and "multi-media I/O ports" on the top panel. You can expect them to arrive at local distributors in late August, Lian Li says. The PC-A70F will cost $229, and the PC-A71F (the one with the door) will set you back $259.

• MadManOriginal

As much as I like LianLi’s quality and clean aesthetic they still haven’t made one mATX or ITX case that hasn’t got a freakish design decision of kind or another that makes it in to a ‘no buy’ for me. Their mATX towers are ‘space savers’ but are usually around 19″ in depth?? uh…ok, any case with a 19″ dimension is not saving space. The PC-A03 is ‘only’ 18.3″ so it’s the least deep mATX case but still…and it only has a 90mm exhaust fan. Their mini-ITX cube is just…wierd, and all passive, with a case of that size they could have fit one low RPM fan Some of the mATX desktop cases are ok and of course the mid and full towers are exceptional. Different is ok when it brings a benefit but different for the sake of it is pretentious.

I just don’t get why they fail so hard with mATX towers, heck even Rosewill has a better design that’s absolutely tiny but obviously made to much lower standards. The only thing that comes close to what I look for is the PC-350/351 but again, they built a freakish design rather than a more normal one. If Lian Li made a mATX tower with 120mm front intake and rear exhaust, normal ATX-style tower layout (PSU up top, not interfering with large CPU coolers) the ability to use large tower-style coolers, 2×5.25″ external bays just a few 3.5″ internal bays and maybe throw in a 2.5″ internal bay I’d buy it, preferably in silver 😉 – just keep it ~16″ max in any dimension. In other words, something along the lines of the Silverstone TJ08 but all aluminum and Lian Li quality.

• holophrastic

I’m confused. Why is tool-less better? I’d prefer a nice robertson screw over a thumb screw any day.

I have tools. Many of them are powered.

Tools are good. Tools are the basis of invention. Tools are the adaptors between my hands — capable of doing awesome things — and the hardware — in this case screws, capable of being in really really small spaces.

I’d prefer a good design that allows me to use good tools. None of this snap-together shit. I want four robertson-head screws holding every joint. And I want a design that makes for easy driver access.

That’s what I want. How come I’m the only one?

• Skrying

A Lian Li is basically the best case on the market. Just because it is tool less doesn’t make it any less sturdy when designed correctly.

On another note… I wish all screws were Robertson head. You hardly ever see them in the US but… Phillips head screws are annoying. I understand why they were designed but… they’re simply a legacy and their benefit seems useless now.

• cocobongo_tm

I never thought I get to live the day when someone would praise a chinese product the same way one might praise ’70s Mercedes-Benz. Like “Yeah…it’s a Mercedes. It’ll go forever”. And now “It’s a Lian Li” Hello? They’re chinese! Like can’t be Mercedes! Come on! Has the world turn upside down????

• zagortenay

No, you are not the only one. I totally agree.
      Those toolless stuff don’t work properly most of the time, but they are popular because people are either lazy or incapable.

• PRIME1

I got my Lian-Li off of eBay around 4 years ago and I intend to keep it for a long time to come.

Very well built. One of these massive cases could be used for one hell of a project.

• thecoldanddarkone

Yea, I got my lian off of a forum sale. It’s still my only desktop. It’s a lian li PC-73slb. It’s an extended atx case 😉

• SomeOtherGeek

Not even going to look at the pix or read the blog… Just reading the title makes me droll!

• plamoni

I love how they come with room for two PSUs. That’s one for your motherboard and 3 video cards, and 1 for your 10 hard drives. 😉

• cygnus1

First off, where do you see a place for a second power supply? The cage at the back top area is for 3 3.5″ drives.

Second, a single 1 KW power supply would take care of that with plenty of power to spare. Heck, 10 hard drives would pull less than 100 W even at spin up, probably less than 50 W most of the time. And 450 W tops for 3, crazy high end video cards.

Lol, throw all that in one case and you’ve got yourself a space heater that doubles as a computer.

• Byte Storm

l[

• cygnus1

l[

• Byte Storm

Your not looking close enough, the screws holding the grating on the top are placed in the same positions as the ones holding the Power Supply back plate on the bottom.

• flip-mode

Yes, please!

• KyleSTL

Updated A70 and A71. Nice. I’ve always appreciated these cases. I love my PC7 and would have bought a C30/31/32/35 if they hadn’t been weird sizes and not fit in with audio components.

• ChangWang

that A70F looks pretty tasty

• StashTheVampede

How about some hot-swap cases for the home NAS users?

• Corrado

• albundy

totally agree. trying to find one now for a decent price. most no name aluminum cases are pretty flimsy as it is.

• etrigan420

>>”I’ve had a lot of cases in my time, but none have ‘felt’ as quality as a Lian Li. The fit and finish is always excellent, the styling is usually minimalist… just love them.”<<

Just recently moved all of my stuff from a PC-60 to a HAF922, and while I like the HAF well enough, it just doesn’t “feel” as well built as the LL.

• stdRaichu

Totally agree. I got my first PC-60 back in 2002 and I’ve not bought a non-Lian Li desktop case since; they’re simply the best cases on the market. Even quality cases from companies like Silverstone often feel cheap compared to Lian Li. Every part is beautifully finished and meshes perfectly with the rest of the case, the interiors are exceptionally well laid out and the designs are uncommonly elegant in the often highly garish world of high-end cases.

FYI, I now have a PC60, a PC75B and a PC7, the 75 about to be replaced by an A20B. Once you go Lian Li you never go back 🙂

• Rakhmaninov3

$259 is steep, even if it is a Lian Li. Just doesn’t look that special to me.

• Byte Storm

I have their Full tower cube case, paid 350 for it. Course I run 2 computers out of it though.

• ironoutsider

I’ve seen some server cases that aren’t as big as this thing, or as d$_$b.

• FireGryphon