Zune HD should be available on September 15

Yesterday, we found out how much the Zune HD is going to cost—or at least, we found some pretty darn convincing Amazon listings. Well, now Gizmodo has come upon some equally convicing reservation cards that reveal the Zune HD’s release date.

"Pick up your Zune HD on September 15, 2009," the cards say, adding that you can reserve the 32GB model for a scant $25 deposit. The cards also mention that the Zune "HD&AV Dock (sold separately)" is required to view high-definition content on an HDTV, and that the display doesn’t actually have an HD resolution—just 480×272.

Well, we already knew about those other details.

According to the aforementioned Amazon listings, the 32GB Zune HD will cost $289.99 at launch, and you’ll be able to pick up the 16GB version for $219.99. iPod touch models with those capacities cost quite a bit more right now, so we wouldn’t be surprised to see Apple cut prices some time in the next month or two.

• Skrying

Probably because of a miss click… but I could be wrong.

• MadManOriginal

I am very confuzzled as to why you wrote a lengthy aggresive reply to yourself o.0

• Skrying

The Zune uses the Tegra chip. The screen is superior, it’s OLED and 3.3″. Also early previews on every website out there has stated it is superior to that in any iPod or iPhone model. Form factor? It’s nearly identical. Storage space? You can’t cant read the listing of 32GB or 16GB or 64GB? Disk speed? Uh? Who cares about that in a media player? No one at all. Battery life is the only area where it’s hardware hasn’t been considered superior already. Time will tell on that one.

You clearly don’t know the Zune Marketplace that has two different but complementary pay models. A subscription or out right buy.

Have you watched the navigation on the Zune HD? It is amazing intuitive. Where you see text it is clickable and it takes you where you want. You can easily return to a original location or go back with a single click. It’s a top down hierarchical design. The Zune players already out have a interface that one could argue is superior to the iPod Nano/Classic. It’s close but I certainly wouldn’t call it inferior.

The only opinion here is about the interface design. The rest is simply fact.

• Decelerate

I respect your decision, but let’s see what the next generation of Touch has under the hood before declaring a winner, no?

And I’m sorry to see that you only see the iPod Touch as a “overpriced piece of fingerprint-attracting overly-polished status symbol”, as I don’t share your view of it.

• tikrjee

CONFIRMED! Sep. 15, 16GB for $219, 32GB for $289! Forget iPod, that overpriced piece of fingerprint-attracting overly-polished status symbol. Any techie worth their salt should be getting one of these no question. And just remember who had wi-fi first 🙂 This is one product worth actually paying Microsoft for, and considering the earlier Zunes really weren’t bad, this one won’t disappoint. Besides, $396 for 32GB touch? Yeah… about that… HD Radio, HD out, XBox Live integration, OLED sexiness screen, stupid-long battery life thanks to nVidia, and $15 a month for all the music you want PLUS 10 downloads…to Decelerate, I’m sorry you still want a touch

• Decelerate

3.3 inch screen. I already think that 4″ is rather small, I don’t want to go backwards.

Also, I know what I’m getting with a Touch. The Zune HD still has to prove itself. If it’s better, then I’ll eventually own one of a later generation.

• Ricardo Dawkins

Zune offers both type of services: rental or subscription (and keep 10 songs each month) and paid to own. iTunes offers just 1 option.

• poulpy

I’ve arguably never devoted too much time to the thing but from the echoes I had they seemed good but not there to challenge the iPods, merely -again IMO- as a place holder to have the technological knowledge the day they decide -or not- to really start pushing.
    If you compare this with the game consoles where MS was also a terrible underdog to start with they tried the market and got their team up to speed with the xbox gen 1 and clearly pushed hard for gen 2.

• poulpy

q[

• Usacomp2k3

Woohoo! I’m excited. Since the xbox live marketplace is merging with the Zune marketplace and they have committed to providing 1080p video content, this can only be a good thing for consumers.

• MadManOriginal

Hm meh, I guess all I ever looked at the Zune software as was a way to sync. As a player? Heck no, although it works as in it makes sound. If I had a Zune subscription, which I may one day to be able to try out a wide variety of music, maybe I’d care more, but I am against paying for mp3s and if I wasn’t there are other perfectly legal sources so the store isn’t a big deal to me. It would be the same with iTunes.

*You’re right though they should have made it look more like a regular Windows app. Also I’d probably use a third-party app to sync an iPod.

• Skrying

The interface really isn’t that big of a issue in itself. It has its faults but the major issues come with not being able to use any of the new Aero features and its horrible performance. Also, the Zune software is the access to the store, like iTunes. Which not only means using it to purchase music but to subscribe to Podcasts.

The podcast functions are the biggest reason to use iTunes IMO. Easy to subscribe, manage, and sync that way. Same with the Zune software… it’s just a much worse experience with the Zune software.

• MadManOriginal

The interface in Zune software isn’t great I agree. Finding things like setup and options is cumbersome but you only have to do that once. I use the Zune software purely for syncing anyhow I don’t really see the point of using it for playback when there are better options and I’d do the same with iTunes if I had a metooPod and for syncing it works fine. I don’t play back mp3’s on my desktop but rather FLAC through Foobar if I did want to play mp3’s I’d still use Foobar instead of Zune software.

• MadManOriginal

This was really hard to find, third link in Google: §[<http://digitaldj.net/zune2onxpx64/<]§ But meh, Win XP Pro x64...kind of who cares at this time.

• Corrado

Aren’t you basing this on a screenshot from MONTHS ago on unfinished hardware that may or may not have been a Zune HD?

• adisor19

Did MS ever get that working with Windows XP 64bit or they just gave up on it ?

Adi

• Skrying

The iTunes software isn’t in Windows but the Zune software has been far worse in my experience. I’ll gladly put up with the iTunes softwares slight slowness and out of place styling and design. What I won’t put up with is 300MB plus usage of memory for playing a song and nothing else, incredible choppiness, and complete bucking of interface design in a companies own OS.

There’s something wrong with what should be a flag ship product (Zune software) not even working with many of the new features in your new OS.

• Amourek

I’ll wait to see what Apple does – iPods are usually refreshed in September. Hopefully Apple will lower their iPod Touch prices and maybe add a camera.

• Skrying

If you look at the hardware alone the Zune hard drive models DESTROY the iPods. Even the Flash based players to this point are better in the hardware department. I would argue from a solely device perspective on software they’re superior as well.

Now with that said… the Zune computer software blows hard. Incredibly hard. It’s ridiculous how resource intensive it is, to the point of being very choppy.

The iTunes store vs Zune store thing… iTunes might have more music but Zune has a superior pay model. The Apps are not comparable yet, not shocking consider the Zune HD is not out.

Also, from what I’ve seen of the Zune HD in videos… it’s navigation system appears to be the incredibly impressive.

• xtalentx

You must be on crack –

The Zune is a much better peice of hardware compaired to the Ipod and iTunes is HORRIBLE. It’s an absolute abomination on the PC.

IMO the interface on the Zune is way better than iPods too.

• Hance

Microsoft hasn’t came up with a decent MP3 player yet so the odds of the Zune HD being better than the iPod Touch are pretty slim.

The library on iTunes is bigger than the zune marketplace. Zune will be starting out with almost zero apps versus the thousands on iTunes.

The zune software itself sucks compared to iTunes.

Microsoft has a lot of work to do if they want to beat the touch.

• MadManOriginal

The Gen 1 Zune was certainly half-baked but the second gen ones are pretty good.

• d2brothe

If you want a Touch, why doesn’t the Zune HD at least interest you. I mean, Zune HD is trying to compete with the touch, I’d think if you wanted one, you’d at least be interested in knowing if the other was better or worse?

• Hattig

Have they fixed the bug where “marketplace” doesn’t fit on the screen?

I have no need for a UI designed for teenagers with ADD.

Is this one being released outside of the US this time?

• poulpy

Haven’t looked much into this upcoming HD incarnation of the Zune but I’d welcome any serious attempt from Microsoft compared to the half baked previous ones that seemed more like tech place holders in case they’d really want to push for it in the future.

• JoshMST

Not sure how Ryan did it, but he has a Zune HD that he is giving away at the PC Perspective hardware workshop at QuakeCon (Kyle passed on doing it this year).

So, if you are attending QC, join us to get a chance at being one of the first on the planet to have a Zune HD.

List of all the other “crap” that we are giving away: §[<http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=761<]§ PS. I hope this is not viewed as a blatant attempt to steal all of TR's traffic and redirect it via links in the comment system to PCPer! (Even though it is... :P)

• Decelerate

The Zune HD doesn’t interest me (I want a touch), but I welcome any aggressive price stance that feeds competition.

• Corrado

This does look really really cool. I wish I listened to music more often/at all. I have Sirius radio and listen to NFL, Howard Stern, Raw Dog Comedy, and once in a while Lithium Alt/Grunge. On my Sansa Clip I have 2gb of audiobooks and lectures. I don’t think I can justify buying one of these for my portable listening habits. Still, very very cool, MSFT.

• l33t-g4m3r

have been waiting for a portable HD radio.
    Does it record?

• Sargent Duck

I was in Futureshop (the Canadian version of BestBuy) the other day and for the first time picked up a 8GB Zune. I liked it and if I were to buy another mp3 player, would definitely be picking up the Zune.

• sweatshopking

I WANT ONE. does anybody have 219.99 sitting around that they dont need?
    woot first!

Share this post with your friends!