iTablet rumors of the day: It’s a giant, multitasking iPhone

With the likelihood of an early-September Apple keynote increasing, rumors about that still-unannounced Mac tablet are swirling more fiercely than usual. The latest batch of rumors suggest the device may be little more than a giant iPhone with multitasking capabilities.

Gizmodo’s Brian Lam, for one, has posted a sensationalized account of a discussion with a self-proclaimed insider who "may or may not have sat" in Apple meetings. The insider described mockups as giant iPhones with 10-inch displays and black backs. Oh, but that design "could change at any time."

Other interesting tidbits: there will be a webcam, Apple will release a version specifically for educational use, and the device could work as a "secondary screen/touchpad for iMacs and MacBooks." The insider echoed the $700-900 price range other rumor sites have been quoted.

Meanwhile, the folks at TechCrunch have gathered some slightly more entertaining—albeit equally dubious—videos of an iTablet "software development platform" in action. The platform apparently has an interface where iPhone-like apps open in separate windows, each with their own little pop-up keyboard.

Last but not least, Gizmodo says Apple has quietly shot a new ad in a 1940s-style California diner. Considering both the timing and Apple’s habit of making pristine studio ads for current products, this new spot could involve the tablet device. Perhaps we’ll find out next month.

• kamikaziechameleon

At first i thought you were seious then i saw your name was snake oil. Funny stuff, keep it up.

Just look how many people don’t get it.

• kamikaziechameleon

dude get out of this thread, find something worth while to complain about besides a tech site reporting tech news.

• Tamale

amen, brother. a lot of people I know with Macs don’t even use them for the stock software.. they just like the hardware.. and understandably so.

they get an iphone/ipod touch and they jailbreak it..
    they get a macbook pro and they put ubuntu / windows on it..

• DrCR

Thanks for the link 😀

• axeman

That’s pretty much what I meant, I was just in a snarky mood. 😉

edit: meant to reply to #44

• ludi

See, that /[

• ludi

Golden Delicious?

• matter3

Meh doesn’t interest me at all. A tablet? Really Apple?

———–
    Matt Elliott
    §[<http://freenintendowiipoints.com<]§

• xtalentx

He’s in the bathroom snorting coke..

Ohh wait he’s not snorting anymore…

We need a new pitchman!

• thecoldanddarkone

Well, it’s a little to much, every rumor on the thing gets posted. I have no problem with posting on it, but it’s not like any new real information on the product has surfaced.

• dpaus

That’d be hilarious if it wasn’t all true….. (thanks for my morning laugh!! Now, where do I send the bill for my coffee-soaked keyboard?)

• green
    • snakeoil

not really

• DaveJB

I’m now convinced that Snakeoil is actually a bot programmed by some enterprising reader to post ridiculous garbage whenever someone makes an Apple-related post. Therefore, what the site staff need to do is post an article about the apple /[

• indeego

g{

• ludi

Uh yeah, thanks for that. You know, if TR stopped posting articles about every brand or product genre that somebody has ever posted a whiny complaint about, the front page would be empty. It’s not like a website is a print periodical with a relatively fixed amount of column inches available each issue, where inclusion of X necessarily excludes Y. Not interested in the Apple-related items? DON’T CLICK ON THEM.

• indeego

True, apple products don’t typically get the worst reliability ratingsg{<.<}g

• snakeoil

repent now

• FireGryphon

I predict that the new product will be called the Maclet. Or the Netlet. Or the Netmac. Maybe even Macbook 3G. How about iTop?

You heard it here first!

• FireGryphon

This needed to be said. Even though the heart and soul of this site is gritty CPU, GPU, and PSU benchmarks, we’re still into whatever the latest gizmo is.

• snakeoil

apple is no mercedes benz , dont offend mercedes benz.

• bthylafh

But if you use a Mac your p33nor falls off!

• leor

ok guys, let’s get this out of the way. apple makes PCs. their machines run intel processors on nvidia chipstes, and can boot directly into windows if you so choose.

so they use a UNIX based OS, and charge a premium for better designs and higher quality builds, are you pissed off at mercedes and BMW too?

this is a tech site, they report on tech, it’s right there in the name. apple’s stuff is tech.

get over it.

• adisor19

Where have you been man ? Apple is not considered COOL. Building your own pd, not so much. All of the recent Apple products have been a game changer in their respective fields. (just ignore the Apple TV for now..) So it’s not surprise that TR is reporting on them.

Also, don’t listen to snakeoil. 😉

Adi

• axeman

I’m sick of this Apple Report stuff. Apparently TR sees their readers as a bunch of urban hipsters now instead of PC enthusiasts. If I wanted to read Gizmodo I’d go there.

• OneArmedScissor

Why are you bumping his posts?

Probably the same reason as everyone else: He continues to reply, and it continues to be hilarious.

• leor

why are u responding to this fool?

• kaiyo17

SNAKE OIL HAS COME DOWN FROM THE MOUNTAIN TO SAVE US!!!!

(srsly why does this guy post the same thing on every mac article?)

• rechicero

I’m going to tell you something… something that probably will discard me as possible Scientology member: Go to counseling, therapy or something to solve your psychological issues. Seriously.

• w00tstock

I have wanted a crunch pad for a while now, but they keep seeming to raise the price and adding superfluous features. Depending on where this tablet ends up price wise it may be a competitor.

• blitzy

well if they can create some more competition for Wacom then I’ll be happy… Wacom product refreshes are waaaay too slow

• StashTheVampede

I’ve wanted a tablet PC for a while with a touch “only” interface. If it had IR and the Logitech Harmony setup, that would be one SWEET living room toy.

• StashTheVampede

Isn’t this enough proof to be banned? Seriously.

• flip-mode

Copy / paste of a previous post without even acknowledging it…. gross.

• XaiaX

No, “unfortunately” is an adverb.

• Norphy

I’m an Apple user, I own an iPod, an iMac and a Macbook.

I bought the iPod about two and a half years ago when that generation had been available for about eight months. I bought the iMac in January last year when that sort had been available for about three months and Leopard had just hit 10.5.1. I bought the Macbook second hand at the beginning of the year, it’s an original Core Duo black version. However, I know that my life does not orbit around them nor does Steve Jobs tell me how to think. It’s a COMPUTER for god’s sake!

I’m pretty sure that the only Apple product that people have queued for overnight was the iPhone. However, people also queued overnight for the PS2, the Xbox 360 and the Wii. People queued overnight for the various Harry Potter novels. People queue overnight for sports tickets and concert tickets. Does that mean that anyone who queues overnight for something is being groomed by Scientologists?

One final point, I know that Wikipedia is hardly the most authoritative source of information out there but according to that, Steve Jobs is a Buddist. Why would he be trying to convert me to Scientology? Seriously man, take off the foil hat and find something actually worthwhile to rant about.

• adisor19

Booooooooooooring. Comme on, you’re getting lazy here with the copypasta. Bring some new stuff to the table..

Adi

• blastdoor

I think it’s a safe bet that this will be more like an iPhone than a Mac since the CPU will most likely not be from Intel.

But I can imagine some interesting possibilities. For example, what if it had two modes. In stand-alone mode, it would be just a big iPhone that runs the same apps as the iPhone. But in a docked mode, where it connects to a keyboard/mouse, it could switch to net-Mac mode, where it acts more like a Mac than an iPhone. It wouldn’t run Mac software per se, but it would have a Mac-ish interface and of course the development tools would be very similar to Mac/iPhone tools. Apps would come from the app store. maybe there would be a version of iTunes for it (plus simple office productivity software — the usual suspects). This really would make it a netbook, but it would be connected into the broader apple “ecosystem”

• WillBach

Huh. That bit about this “iTablet” being used as an input device is actually making me interested.

• Decelerate

As much as I like Apple, this is one odd device in terms of features/price/segment/purpose…

I have to see it to believe it.

iScientology? You’re a nutball.

• A_Pickle

Being the owner of a powerful, heavy laptop… I can’t say it was a bad decision. I’m pretty happy with mine, for now.

• snakeoil

why do you think they wait overnight in line for a new apple product?
    why do you think apple user’s life orbits around their iphones or ipods?
    unfortunately, it is true.
    once they reach a point they are ready to be ”processed” by the Scientology church.

• MadManOriginal

The Scientology angle is funny even if you have points about the ‘i’ branding and UI design. I’d say those things are just done as smart marketing rather than a conspiracy though.

• ludi

With each “new” post you drop, I get a stronger and stronger mental image of you as an incontinent shih tzu. Could you maybe integrate some high pitched barking noises into your script template for my benefit?

• TheShadowself

Note that Apple is *[

• snakeoil

apple user: don’t let steve jobs tell you how to think.
    you have the right to choose by yourself what you like.
    a gigant ipod wont make you cool.
    abandon the pseudotechnological apple sect now.

do you know that the church of scientology are the owners of apple?
    do you know that in products like the iphone they used design tricks that are the same tricks they use to brainwash their members?
    did you see the tom cruise movie( scientology leader) minority report.
    well they ported the same graphic interface to the iphone and ipod.
    why?
    because that let them manipulate you easily.
    how?
    when you use the letter i (iphone, ipod) in every apple product you associate the product with yourself( i =me)
    iphone=this pruduct is me

and the iphone interface?
    the interface is organized in the same way that people use to remember, the interface has multiple icons, when pressed this icon opens a program or a video.
    when you remember something you first think about an image (the icon) and later this opens a memory movie associated with the event.

the result is that iphone = me, my life.

for your entertainment:
    §[<http://www.scientology.org/#/inside_scn_church<]§ yes, apple user, you are being brainwashed by the church of Scientology through steve jobs, and the apple products. hard to believe? repent now.

• dpaus

Where’s Billy Mays when you really need him? This thing is starting to sound like Apple’s take on the Palm Foleo concept.

• Atradeimos

Gahh, I’ll end up stuck between having a powerful desktop and a portable, low performance tablet… or just having a powerful, heavy laptop :-/

Share this post with your friends!