New Rage trailer shows more gameplay, plot

At QuakeCon yesterday afternoon, id Software released a brand-new trailer showing fresh glimpses of Rage, its next major title. This time, an ominous narrator teases the storyline, which apparently involves an asteroid (fittingly named Apophis) bringing about the apocalypse and subsequent post-apocalypticness. The trailer also reveals more characters, monsters, and gameplay. Behold:

If you like eye candy, you owe it to yourself to grab the full-resolution 116MB trailer from FileShack. The images might be from the Xbox 360 version, since textures don’t look quite as sharp as in PC screenshots, but the art direction and John Carmack magic still make for some beautiful vistas. And it looks pretty fun.

As you may or may not know, id is also quietly working on Doom 4. According to Shacknews, the company plans to reveal more about that title at QuakeCon 2010. We don’t know much so far, except that Doom 4 may have more in common with the first couple of Doom games than Doom 3, and that it should have prettier graphics than Rage.

• ironoutsider

Buggies with turrets, Auto tripod turrets, Futuristic apocalypse setting… Hmm.. Doesn’t seem like HL2 At all.

• swaaye

It only would if it turns out to be one of the most linear game experiences of all time. HL2 literally has nothing on even, say, Doom in this respect.

• fpsduck

So Norton Mapes from F.E.A.R. finally alive… in Rage.

• kenclopz

Thoroughly impressed. What do you think it’ll take to run it?

• PoohPall

an Xbox 360 :-))

• eitje

I believe Larry Niven will be flattered!

• matter3

Looks great, a for sure buy for me

———-
    §[<http://freemicrosoftpointstoday.info<]§ Matt

• eitje

Welcome to the Tech Report! So glad to have you!

Let us know if you have any other links to share with us, because that’s what we’re here to do… click links!

• ClickClick5

Mmm, what hospitality here at TR.

The smoke in the game is going to be hard for me to swallow. It seems to not have any directional lighting, just static lighting. Compared to the rest of the game, the smoke looks fake. This I hope they change.

• thermistor

Post-apocalypic Nazis FTW!

• WaltC

Does this remind anyone else of Gothic 3?

• michael_d

The demonstrated gameplay looks awfully similar to Doom 3. Up close encounters, mutants swarming around you. I prefer tactical shooters, nonetheless I will definitely give it a try.

• jokinin

Hi all, i’m new to TR forums, been reading it for a while, but just registered today.
    I’ve watched this Rage trailer and well, graphics are nice, but gameplay makes me remember quake4 a lot, i don’t see it is much different, and i don’t see new ideas.
    But since i’ve played most id titles since the original doom (i’m that old), i will probably end up buying it once it gets cheaper 🙂

• wabbit

YIPPEE!!! Another id FPS… I wonder what will they do next…

• ManAtVista

Compared to 3rd person games, and side-scrollers, and basically everything else out there, the FPS genre underdeveloped. It’s also the most fun. In short, stuff it.

• Krogoth

How about Commander Keen?

• clone

the game looks grrrreeeaatt… in trailer form like Doom 3 looked great in trailer form, like Quake 4 looked great in trailer form.

Rage looks great and I hope it is great because I need something to game on while I wait for Half Life 2 Episode 3 and StarCraft 2 but ID has really messed up in the past struggling to cover really weak basic storylines, lazy AI, weak weapon effects and uber repetitive gameplay with more flash……. they make things “pretty” while the gameplay is “pretty badly” done.

ID’s pass has been revoked as far as I’m concerned unlike Valve & Blizzard’s……I’ll have to play it before I buy it, Doom III was disappointing, the expansion much better comparatively speaking then I played Quake 4 and it was …. lazy…. Quake Wars I got for free with video card and still haven’t played or installed it.

• cegras

The one thing that always gets me is when joints on the character model bend, the textures just clip into each other without folding properly.

• blitzy

the environment looks nice, gameplay looks meh

• Pax-UX

What happens when you cross Bioshock with Fallout 3 and Farcry 2’s driving system??? It gets me interested in your game! that’s what!

• Ethyriel

I was thinking the world of Fallout 3, the mechanics of Half Life 2, and the physical feel and horror element of Doom 3. I’m intrigued, I hope they pull it off.

• JustAnEngineer

I despised Doom3’s over-used mechanism of monsters jumping out of previously-cleared areas of a dark room. Not to mention that it took the user community to implement duck tape.

• Krogoth

Those were all throwbacks to the original Doom.

• MadManOriginal

Gameplay gameplay gameplay. Graphics are great and may sell games around their release based on hype but gameplay is what makes a game great. Anything that is more than just ‘pretty graphics’ qualifies for gameplay, from story to unique ingame ideas, to control scheme, to depth.

• swaaye

I just hope there’s more than just action. I like exploration in this type of game. Endless dumb action gets old very fast for me these days.

I have to say too that I’m getting burned out on depressing brown blown up worlds. The orignial STALKER is still my personal favorite of the bunch because of how atmospheric it was and how fresh it felt, but we’re definitely into “me too” territory now.

Vehicles are something that should come with every game of this kind though so that does look interesting.

• Skrying

Screw realistic gameplay. I want fun in my games. This notion of being “realistic” is one of the reasons I’ve given up gaming as a whole. Rage is the first FPS I’ve seen in awhile (and the first from id since Quake 3) that seems a bit cool.

• Krogoth

Nah, it is more like some games that tried too hard to be realisitc, but failed at several key points. (Checkpoints, bunny hopping, god-like “avatar” accuracy, etc)

I agree that there needs to be more games that are not so “GRIMDARK, OMFG SERIOUS BUSINESS!” on the market.

• MadManOriginal

I’ve got to agree with this post and #58 *shudder*

• ssidbroadcast

Yikes. That cover image isn’t doing TR any favors. It’s giving me (undesirable) flashbacks of that one time I made the mistake of watching /[

• Meadows

It reminds me of Zelda on the CD-i.
      “Bombs? You want ’em?”

• ssway

The giant mutant at the end of the clip seems quite ridiculous to say the least.

• VILLAIN_xx

Yeah, it looked like sloth from The Goonies with a glowing green eye.

PASS on this game. Too many similarities to that piece of sh*t FO3.

• Ethyriel

Yeah, my reaction was a lot like the first time I saw the Strider in HL2 trailers.

• StuG

I think you guys have it wrong. Its the baby of Fallout 3 and Zeno Clash

• glacius555

Am I the only one who thinks that it looks waaay too “consolish”?

• Meadows

What is that?

• quarantined

No. There’s really nothing about this Rage that’s pulling me in – graphics, gameplay or otherwise. It looks a little dorky to me.

• PoohPall

Consoles are the focus for the moment.

The PC has become nothing but an afterthought unfortunately.

• blastdoor

Mutants, and demons, and bugs, oh my!

The visual realism/quality certainly is impressive and a nice technical accomplishment. From that trailer, though, I don’t see anything that I think would be intellectually or emotionally engaging. These games primarily engage the same part of my brain that a brightly colored string engages in my cat. While my cat never tires of the string game, I do get bored with these games.

• FubbHead

/[

• Skrying

What are these crowning jewels of story telling from the land of Japan are you referring to? They might focus on the story more but the stories themselves tend to be horrible. I honestly rather have no story at all then contend with the… some mean words here… nature of Final Fantasy and similar.

• Ethyriel

Yeah, I don’t think Japan is some last bastion of deep, engaging games. These types of games are extremely rare all together. Games like the Half Lifes, System Shocks, Deus Exes, Icos/Shadows of the Colossi, Alices, and Citizen Kabutos just don’t come along very often, especially now that game development has become such a big money making industry. And with graphics the way they are, it’s a higher cost of entry for a developer to make a plausible attempt.

Honestly, from this aspect, I’m more interested in odd indie titles like Feist, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, and The Path; and how they evolve into new and existing genres. Even if the story isn’t there, games like these are endearing, and have a fresh feel.

• FubbHead

I’m not saying eveything is good, far from it, just that they seem to focus a bit more on directing the games, ie. not only the actual story, but also how to deliver it. Although I suspect they are approaching the western way these days aswell.

Also, I wouldn’t count Half-Life as an emotionally and intellectually engaging series of games.. It’s good for what it was meant to be, an action game.

• Tamale

Half-life 1 had one of the most engaging plots of any game I’ve ever played. I’ve never felt so in touch with the main character as I did with Gordon Freeman the first time around.

Once they started putting such an emphasis on other characters in Half-life 2, it honestly lost part of the feel of what made the first one so great to me.

I’m not going to say you’re alone in that feeling, but I’m in agreement with FubbHead – it wasn’t an engaging game to me. Nor was HL2.

Final Fantasy VI and La Pucelle Tactics both got me extremely involved emotionally – I admit it, I shed a tear when Celes attempted suicide, and when Croix died.

• Meadows

“Western” storytelling has been my favourite ever since wonders like Max Payne, Septerra Core or Prototype, but sadly I also have to acknowledge that such valuables really are few and quite far in between.

Gaming started out from technology, then moved on to challenge, then moved on to stories over time (the original Doom was in the middle, with a shitty quick 5-minute Sunday night storywork thinly wrapped around a great game) – then sadly, it started slipping back in recent years, and sooner or later it’ll slip back to plain “technology” again, with the console generation eliminating as much challenge as possible.

• Scrotos

Sounds like you’re all strung out! Oh ho ho!

• trinibwoy

Heh, I hope all the people clamoring for realism and explanations for things in games only watch documentaries. Last I checked most action movies aren’t realistic either. Whatever happened to games just being fun? The first Doom is as far from realistic as you can get.

• VaultDweller

l[

• Generic

Son of a…

You broke my sarcasm meter! >.<;

• kvndoom

Damn, I’m glad I wasn’t drinking anything when I read that.

And what rock have you been living under? Advanced Cyberdemon Training courses are so 1990’s. These days we prepare for the impending zombie apocalypse.

• kravo

C´mon people, what´s wrong with you? It´s a game, it doesn´t need to be based on actual scientific facts! Thinking that way, you should raise your voice against every other games and movies in which -for example- english is a universal language, spoken and understood by every lifeform in every galaxy.
    A game has to be fun.Period.
    I´m looking forward to see all the eye candy…and I´m also curious if it will make an up-to-date rig sweat like doom3 did in its time.

• Silus

Yeah…well, most of id haters started to pop up for no particular reason, as more and more Rage footage started showing up. And they throw these “unrealistic gameplay” reasons at id games, while they play CoDs or TF2s/L4Ds…Some people just have a few “problems” I guess…

• kravo

well, in Hungary, to such people we say: “they have an oat grain stuck up in their a$$”.
        And they wouldn´t let it fall by no means.

• juampa_valve_rde

looks nice, and playable, may give it a try

• bcronce

ID software make the majority of the $$$ from selling their game engines. It’s not as much of making a great top seller as putting out a decent game with wow-factor graphics and the community can mod up and make it their own.

• NeXus 6

The Doom 3 engine wasn’t so hot for them. Carmack had to sell out to consoles this time around, but I don’t think it’s going to work out for them. Is Carmack becoming a fart in the wind?

• Silus

You mean like most of the developers out there ?
        The only ones we know didn’t “sell out” to consoles, were Blizzard and Crytek (this far) and Crytek is already working on console versions for their upcoming titles.

• NeXus 6

Yeah, and look at the crap that’s been released and what’s coming down the pipeline.

• Silus

You have the whining PC Gamers to thank for that…

If instead of complaining – that they can’t run the state of the art “Crysis” on a 3 year old machine, with all the bells and whistles, while at the same time praising the CoD4s and TF2/L4Ds, that use the same damn engine from 4-5 years ago, with a few tweaks (so why would they NOT run well, even on old machines ??) – they actually praised the effort that takes to actually push the envelope in the gaming industry, then things would be different and we would get actual PC Games and not console ports.

But the majority has spoken and they decided that they’ll praise everyone that does everything to keep the industry as is: stalled, with focus on the lowest common denominator: consoles.

• NeXus 6

One game caused the downfall of PC gaming? I think it goes a little deeper and farther back than Crysis.

• Silus

…?!

I don’t think you understood a word I said in my post…

I referred to Crysis as the last bastion of a true PC Game (and exclusive title), that was criticized for “poor coding” and all that BS, because people couldn’t run it maxed on their old computers.
            After the fact, Crytek realized that they were catering to the wrong crowd and shifted a great deal of their resources to console development. And thus another developer started focusing on consoles too.

A while back, I was very annoyed at this trend too, being a PC Gamer myself. The quality of PC Games had gone down the drain for that reason. But later I realized that these developers that produce quality content, while pushing hardware limits, gain little to nothing. id did that with all their games and look at all the id haters right now. Crytek pushed the envelope and “Crysis was poorly coded”. At the same time, Valve and Infinity Ward, are praised for how scalable their games are. And why wouldn’t they be scalable ? These companies are still using their old engines from 4-5 years ago. Epic created UE3, which is relatively new and used in many games, but it brings no where near the impressive graphics that CryEngine 2 (and now Rage) do. Why ? Because it was developed around consoles.

• kravo

I agree. But you know what? Crysis was also scalable, and even when it wasn´t maxed out, it still had decent graphics. But most whiners not only need good graphics, they also need 80-120 frames per second.
            The three options as: amazing graphics, high framerates, and low costs (for a rig) don’t fit together, only 2 of ’em.
            So people have to drop one.
            But they don’t, they rather blame on someone else.

Part of that was also that the newest hardware couldn’t even handle Crysis at the time. Not many were comfortable with the concept that $1800 (3x 8800GTX ~$600?) worth of graphics card could barely make the game playable at maximum settings at 19×12. Now $100 cards have equal to or more than enough power to match those $600 behemoths. We might get a single card in the upcoming generation that can run Crysis at 60fps. Only took 2+ years.

• swaaye

You exaggerate though. I played the game at 1920×1200 on a single 8800GTX + C2D and it was definitely adequate. I’m still using that card today because games have gone precisely nowhere visually since 2006 IMO. I think Crysis was ahead of its time honestly. They should have delayed the game a year. There certainly was no risk of being passed up.

I also thought the Warhead situation was entertaining/frustrating/predictable. Some thought it was super opt1m1z3d bettererz. In reality, the level of detail of the graphics presets had been toned down and that’s where most of the extra speed came from. I didn’t see too many people realizing that.

What is also rather annoying is that Crysis is still the best looking “realistic” game out there. We’re coming up on 3 years later here. It seems obvious to me that the technological risk taking in gaming is basically over with because it doesn’t pay, especially when it actually gets you a lot of loud people bitching in your direction.

• OneArmedScissor

I’m still lost as to how Crysis was “ahead of its time.”

It may not have single handedly ruined the PC game industry, but it did single handedly skew most everyone’s view of what you “need” to play new games. Nearly two years later, websites are still using it as a benchmark, because it still tends to be more difficult to run than newer, similar games.

But does it look better? Gourd, no. It doesn’t look better to me than a whole heck of a lot of games do, even games that came before it, consoles included. It sure runs worse than very nearly anything, though.

I noticed it had a few very minor graphics options that screwed it up pretty bad, but it’s definitely made pretty poorly. They pretty much lied through their teeth, saying that Warhead was “more optimized” so that it would run on mainstream hardware. It just came out later on when capable hardware was more affordable, and doesn’t really run any better at all.

• swaaye

You are awfully convinced that the game does little to justify the way it performs but again, like others, lay down zero proof and cite no direct observations/comparisons.

What I think this probably shows is that realtime 3D graphics rendering is at a level of diminishing returns (along with the hardware). You have problems noticing what is better about what the game is doing, meaning that the results are not particularly tangible even if they are relatively demanding. It could also mean that you just don’t care for the extra details that they went out of their way to simulate, again making the evolutions of the game tech rather meaningless to a group of such people.

If you think there are other games that look as good or better than Crysis and run faster, please name them. A lot of games have fantastic art and style that combines into great eye candy, but the rendering consists heavily of quite static elements. Crysis simulates a lot more about an environment and its objects than any other game I know of. Unfortunately, if you crank the graphics options down, it can look really bad really quick compared to simpler games from years past.

• cynan

Agreed 100%.

There is no doubt that style and artistic design goes a long way into creating visually appealing scenes. Due to this, it is plausible that many may find the style and artistic content of Game X to be more appealing to them overall than Crysis.

QFT

• ssidbroadcast

+2 QFT! !

• NeXus 6

And that’s why I said it goes back further than Crysis. Crysis was just the final nail in the PC gaming coffin.

• Pettytheft

You made a good point until you said consoles. They don’t have anything to do with the lowest common denominator. The problem is people trying to run Crysis at their LCD’s natural resolution on weak hardware. They go to a forum and find hear several people talking about how they run on certain settings with no problems. Hours later of tweaking and maybe they can get their rig to run it like other people maybe they don’t.

I think the rebranding of lousy video cards and selling them as gaming cards does more harm than consoles themselves.

• Krogoth

Performance issues are not what “killed” PC gaming as we know it. It is lack of games that have fun factor, interesting plots, charm that killed it. Crysis completely fails at these criteria. Its steep performance requirements was its death knell.

IMO, there is hardly any decent PC games out there that are worth the time and $$$$$ to get . You have rehashed RTS and FPS wannabes. I got burnt too many times. It is sad that I am looking at older titles (pre-2003) to find something interesting and worthwhile to play.

haha, sell out. You mean follow the money.

• chrisofdeath

Sweet, Fallout 4! Oh, wait…

• ImSpartacus

FO4 with cars and sentries!

• GFC

Like Fallout3 just with buggies.. Not my type of game, but I’ll definitely give it a try.

• Sargent Duck

Fallout 3 explained the mutations by radiation and the FEV virus (yeah, this is passable, not good science, but passable). But I’m a little perplexed on how an asteroid hitting Earth would cause mutations…unless it contained a toxic alien substance.

But even then, if the asteroid (say, as big as Texas) were to hit an ocean it would cause a massive tidal wave. If it were to hit land, on a global scale, the damage from the initial impact would be a little bigger than the size of the asteroid, the resulting dust/debris cloud would ensure wide-spread chaos and that no food (nothing could grow due to the sun being blocked out). Still though, nations on the other side of the world would still be around to “maintain” the situation in a limited capacity. Not understanding these mutations…

• dlenmn

The rock that caused the Chicxulub crater (the one theorized to have killed off the dinosaurs) is estimated to have been 6mi in diameter. That one caused the effects you mentioned. Since Texas is hundreds of miles across, and since volume increases with the cube of diameter (and then so does mass and energy — all thing being equal), I’m pretty sure that if something Texas sized hit earth, nothing would survive.

If a Texas sized rock hit mars:

§[<http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/06/080625-mars-impact.html<]§ "an impact big enough to create such a huge crater could have easily *[

• ImSpartacus

Yeah, if a texas sized piece of stuff hit the earth everything would be dead. It takes a considerably smaller chunk of “stuff” to block out the sun and cause an ice age, yada yada yada.

• Sargent Duck

Ah, good to know. Thanks for the clarification.

#17 When watching a movie/playing a game, I need some shred of plausability. For example, X-men 1 (the movie). Wolverine I can enjoy because our bodies heal, his is just faster. The girl who can pass through wall, theoritically, so could we. The guy who could blink and change tv channels..yeah, we have electrical currents in our body so I can see that. Magneto? Scott? Yeah, no. There’s not a shred of “possibility”.

I don’t care how bad the science is, as long as their is a faint, brittle attachment to real life, I can get behind it. But if there’s no connection, I have a hard time immersing myself. That’s just me though.

• cius

I always fail to understand why people insist upon a plausible explanation for such things. Why explain it at all? I don’t care why the world is in this state, I only care that it is. I want to see the ruins of a fallen civilization and fight for my life against angry, bipedal, semi-human (or not at all human) enemies hell-bent on ending it. Don’t tell me why they are what they are or even why I have to fight them. Just give me wave after wave of them to fall at my feet and facilitate my rise to violent apotheosis.

• Hattig

“Doom 4 […] should have prettier graphics than Rage”

As long as you like the noir and ebony shades of pitch black.

• Meadows

What makes you think they’ll repeat the exact same?

• cius

If they honestly go back to the source for inspiration, then we should see plenty of reds, oranges, blues, greens, browns, and even the occasional white/light gray.

• herothezero

It’s a console game lacking depth and any adherence to realistic gameplay; I’ll pass.

• NeXus 6

Yep, and remember you need a ‘controller’ for the best gaming experience. What a sell out, Carmack.

• Meadows

I think that’s just added marketing. I’m sure it can be controlled just fine the normal way, and besides, even games /[

• Farting Bob

Sure, some games designed for consoles are fantastic on the PC (every GTA up to IV, most FPS’s being a great example), keyboard/mouse is simply the best and most flexible control system for gaming and likely will be until we get sensors inplanted into our brains so we only have to think about shooting some guy in the nuts with a shotgun and its done. Shame most devs outsource or spend about 10 minutes working on the PC port.

• Meadows

Fans of Carmack never did receive any realistic gameplay.

• Silus

“Realistic gameplay”…Have you been playing any games lately ? Actually, did you ever play games at all ?

• yogibbear

Mad Max/Fallout (& wasteland etc.) copy+paste with some Half-life sentries thrown in for good measure.

Sounds good. Though now we’re saturated with Post-Apocalyptic games as well as WWII shooters.

• ImSpartacus

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Hopefully it is well-made. Looks good so far.

• Ikeoth

I like post Apocalypse games so I say bring them on one and all

• puppetworx

My thoughts exactly, dune buggies always seem HALO like too though.

• TO11MTM

Don’t forget Strife; the original comet-mutation FPS.

Actually, it was one hell of a game and pushed the doom engine pretty dang far. All the seriousness of a good RPG but just enough dark humor (Sometimes it seems like EVERYONE in the game has gone at least a little crazy, but hey, the end of the world will probably do that to you.) Still enjoy it to this day.